Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THQ, the developers behind WARHAMMER 40k, are Big Time WoW Fans

Comments

• UnicornicusUnicornicus Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by mysticalspam

they started making  the warhammer 40k mmo back in 2007, when wow clones were all the rage..... so yes it wil be a wow clone.....  with a fps twist

Again... this is a completely uninformed and reaching statement. I prefer to have actual knowledge before I cast around comments like that.

Let me re post a list pertinent to this conversation.

The following is a list of what we know as of 6-6-11. 

How will WoW and DMO be similar?

It will have guilds... wow has guilds..  it has dungeons, loot... wow has loot. it will have all the features triple A title MMO is expected to have... THAT is how it will be like wow.

now... for how it WONT be like wow.

1. this game is closer to FPS than it is to wow.... it is action based.

2. They have stated that they are eliminating the MMO style HUD to give the game a more video game style feel. NO 70 button MMO HUD

3. This game has vehicles and they play a huge part in the pvp AND pve of the game. They have physics and interact with the environment. THIS GAME HAS VEHICLES.

5. This is a big one... there is no TANK HEALER DPS TRINITY IN DMO

6. and I quote, "THIS IS NOT A TRADITIONAL MMO."

That sounds nothing at all like a wow clone to me.. Do the research, wwatch the interviews, read the interviews and gain some knowledge. Until we have new info (hopefully this week) this is the info straight from the devs that I am going by.

• mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by Unicornicus

they started making  the warhammer 40k mmo back in 2007, when wow clones were all the rage..... so yes it wil be a wow clone.....  with a fps twist

Again... this is a completely uninformed and reaching statement. I prefer to have actual knowledge before I cast around comments like that.

It will have guilds... wow has guilds..  it has dungeons, loot... wow has loot. it will have all the features triple A title MMO is expected to have... THAT is how it will be like wow.

2. They have stated that they are eliminating the MMO style HUD to give the game a more video game style feel. NO 70 button MMO HUD

3. This game has vehicles and they play a huge part in the pvp AND pve of the game. They have physics and interact with the environment. THIS GAME HAS VEHICLES.

That sounds nothing at all like a wow clone to me.. Do the research, wwatch the interviews, read the interviews and gain some knowledge. Until we have new info (hopefully this week) this is the info straight from the devs that I am going by.

pretty much what i saw of this game... tab targeting... check... wow style buttons with cooldowns.... check.... wsad movement...check... everything i seen for this game remids me of wow except for the fps part.... and it wont be all shooting sooo..... sorry untill i see the finished product it has the title of wow clone....

also i been playen 40k 89... this wont be 40k... it will be pos like war.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick 

Well, this sort of makes sense since Warcraft and Starcraft copied and mirrored a lot from Warhammer and W40K, so in a sense this is coming full circle image

A lot is not really true, more some. They copied a lot more from Tolkien and Forgotten realms.

What they did copy was the dark humor and some stuff from the world, not any mechanics. The classic Warhammer RPG have no levels at all. It instead have a pretty interesting system based on "careers". A maxed out character usually have 4 or so careers, the basic ones are simple like rat catcher but with XP and raising of your attributes can you end up like a Judical champion or a witchhunter. It is a pretty neat system, too bad that neither of the MMOs use it or at least some of it.

I would not call this systems Wow system, Meridian 59 more or less had the same basic system at launch in 1996 but it is too bad that THQ can't use something that fits the setting better. Yes, I am a GW fan so I am partial of course.

I think he was speaking mainly in esthetics and signature GW look. THAT that coppied basically note for note.

pretty much what i saw of this game... tab targeting... check... wow style buttons with cooldowns.... check.... wsad movement...check... everything i seen for this game remids me of wow except for the fps part.... and it wont be all shooting sooo..... sorry untill i see the finished product it has the title of wow clone....

They have said specifically that thye have done away with the wow style HUD, so I am not sure where you are getting your info from. I have ready everythign I could find on this and have not seen that they have tab tagetting anywhere. WASD movement?!?!?!?!? OF COURSE THEY WILL HAVE THAT!!1 how does that make it WOW like... damn near every PC game uses that. If you want to call it a wow clone based upon next to no information... thats your misinformed opinion and certainly fits here (unfortuenately) I will wait for REAL info before I make a judgemen like that.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

darksiders was a horrible game.

and yes i agree that it has serious world of warcraft influence.

yes dragons existed in fantasy since beginning of time, but the style of the dragons is different thing.

and cmon that main char? even if thats not wow resemblence in any way... dat hood. and actually everything else for that matter - cheesy and lame uninspired pile of crap.

i dont think THQ failed with every game tho, i mean look at their other games, they are unique in style.

depends on the developer team and the idea that was born with it.

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

You mean other game developers are fans of the largest and most successful MMO of all time?!?!?!?!?!?  Whatever will we do!?!?!

• mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64

They have said specifically that thye have done away with the wow style HUD, so I am not sure where you are getting your info from. I have ready everythign I could find on this and have not seen that they have tab tagetting anywhere. WASD movement?!?!?!?!? OF COURSE THEY WILL HAVE THAT!!1 how does that make it WOW like... damn near every PC game uses that. If you want to call it a wow clone based upon next to no information... thats your misinformed opinion and certainly fits here (unfortuenately) I will wait for REAL info before I make a judgemen like that.

i been playing online games since text base muds... uo...eq... etc played just about all AAA mmos that been out...

can pretty much tell by  gameplay footage what the games going to be like.... also  just like in the SWTOR interview the guy said once you beat the game, you play a different class it will be  a new experience... pretty much killed that game for me and my game group too.

really hope 40k  mmo turnes out good for you.

on a different note.  what i want from movement is innovation..... something new to break the  wsad keyboard turners...  

• farorefarore Member UncommonPosts: 89

i been playing online games since text base muds... uo...eq... etc played just about all AAA mmos that been out...

can pretty much tell by  gameplay footage what the games going to be like.... also  just like in the SWTOR interview the guy said once you beat the game, you play a different class it will be  a new experience... pretty much killed that game for me and my game group too.

on a different note.  what i want from movement is innovation..... something new to break the  wsad keyboard turners...  

So you dont want the game to be different for each class and you want to play it useing a wiimote?

I seriously dont want to mess with what works so well.... why change an input system that is so high functioning.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by farore

So you dont want the game to be different for each class and you want to play it useing a wiimote?

..or Kinect :P

Seriously mysticalspalm you simply sound burned up from MMO. Time to graduate, perhaps?

Though I pretty much disagree with mysticalspalm's entire stance I will say this in his defense... Its time for the MMO to graduate... not him.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I don't get it, am I suppose to see a darksider video? or is a link error? rick roll?

Like I get both games are the same developers, but that probably can only explain the art styles of both games. Just like Blizzard, was Warcraft III played like anything in World of Warcraft? no. So to conclude that Darksider is any indication to how W40K is gonna play like is just speculation with absolutely no concrete proof.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Originally posted by xKingdomx

I don't get it, am I suppose to see a darksider video? or is a link error? rick roll?

Like I get both games are the same developers, but that probably can only explain the art styles of both games. Just like Blizzard, was Warcraft III played like anything in World of Warcraft? no. So to conclude that Darksider is any indication to how W40K is gonna play like is just speculation with absolutely no concrete proof.

Welcome to the brain of a 'wowclone' poster. Proof is not only optional but discouraged.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

I have read that interview several times, and it in no way, in any language, suggests that the developers are going to emulate wow passed the fact that they are both MMOs.

Sure they look at the most succesful PC game to date. Who in thier right mind wouldnt? Why would you make a game that is unfriendly to wow players. 

Remember that this, until we know otherwise, is an action based game. Just this fact alone puts DMO worlds away from WOW in and of itself. Not to mention you know.. the whole Sci Fi v Fantasy thing.

Now if you want a WoW clone in a sci fi world, go check on TOR. Traditional MMO WoWness the whole way through...

I think we agree somewhat, judging by your other posts you come off as very defensive about DMO. I never said I wanted a WoW clone. I never said they are making a WoW clone. You say "sure they look at the most succesful PC game to date" and that's pretty much what I was saying too =)

Maybe I was being unclear, I thought I could make myself understood in english but maybe I cant. I said "looking to WoW" as in "looking to WoW for ideas" but maybe ppl read it like something else?

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by ormstunga

I have read that interview several times, and it in no way, in any language, suggests that the developers are going to emulate wow passed the fact that they are both MMOs.

Sure they look at the most succesful PC game to date. Who in thier right mind wouldnt? Why would you make a game that is unfriendly to wow players. 

Remember that this, until we know otherwise, is an action based game. Just this fact alone puts DMO worlds away from WOW in and of itself. Not to mention you know.. the whole Sci Fi v Fantasy thing.

Now if you want a WoW clone in a sci fi world, go check on TOR. Traditional MMO WoWness the whole way through...

I think we agree somewhat, judging by your other posts you come off as very defensive about DMO. I never said I wanted a WoW clone. I never said they are making a WoW clone. You say "sure they look at the most succesful PC game to date" and that's pretty much what I was saying too =)

Maybe I was being unclear, I thought I could make myself understood in english but maybe I cant. I said "looking to WoW" as in "looking to WoW for ideas" but maybe ppl read it like something else?

Saying 'looking to WoW' is in itself sayign they are goign to pull ideas fromw WoW, and that says they will copy WoW.

The OP said the devs were WoW fans to stoke the flames; and he got the ball rolling because apparently as sooon as anyone sees 'WoW" and any new MMO in the same sentance they lose their shit. Why? Because we seem to have low troll resistance and easily take this bait.

Probably wouldn't be having this many WoW clone arguments if the posts such as this thread were nuked from orbit before they got too big.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by MMOExposed

http://youtu.be/EYoZbU49UoI

Just take a look at that,,, come on,, lets be real here. These guys have some serious WoW fans behind the scenes. (excluding the guy that does Illidan voice).

wow that game has WoW written all over it. (major pun intended)

I get the feeling, that War40k will have strong WoW like characteristics, (not that this is a bad thing), but I feel its something people should expect, so they wont be disappointed that War40k isnt the Anti-WoW they wanted.

Its been clear for like a year that war 40k will continue what WAR did wrong. And attempt a wow 2.0.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

And another thing can someone show me the itnerview where they guaranteed a two faction setup, the link where GW clears it, and the link where it becoems WAR? Because for all the talk, for the supposedly low amount of itnerviews, i have yet to see it.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

Just take a look at that,,, come on,, lets be real here. These guys have some serious WoW fans behind the scenes. (excluding the guy that does Illidan voice).

I get the feeling, that War40k will have strong WoW like characteristics, (not that this is a bad thing), but I feel its something people should expect, so they wont be disappointed that War40k isnt the Anti-WoW they wanted.

That's a Darksider cutscene, where do you get that has anything to do with warhammer 40k?

Originally posted by DeathTouch

That's a Darksider cutscene, where do you get that has anything to do with warhammer 40k?

Abadon looks like a dragon, that dragon looks like death wing, WoW has deathwing, therefore sicne darksiders was made by the DMO guys, DMO will be jsut like fuckinG WoW.

Insane right?

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

Originally posted by VoxTrooper

Originally posted by DeathTouch

Abadon looks like a dragon, that dragon looks like death wing, WoW has deathwing, therefore sicne darksiders was made by the DMO guys, DMO will be jsut like fuckinG WoW.

Insane right?

So ford made the pinto, all fords are pintos? again what does a cutscene from Darksiders have to do with warhammer 40k?

• DreawingDreawing Member Posts: 362

warhammer 40k is focus on guns.. warcraft is focus on swords and arrow.

nuff said :P no one copy anyone....

They reiterate this in the brand new statement on thier website.

"A new era of online gaming begins with the anticipated release of Warhammer® 40,000®: Dark Millennium Online™. Set in a dark and brutally violent universe,Dark Millennium Online seamlessly blends the scale and strategy of MMORPGs, with the fast-paced combat of an action game to provide an all-new level of intensity and excitement."

Lets hope they can deliver on that

• bestiacorpusbestiacorpus Member Posts: 114

The character design have similarities because their influences are the same... and they have this little history that never really got validated.

Warcraft is Warhammer's brother that was never allowed in the house.  Warhammer know Warcraft but will never tell you they're related. 

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Dreawing

warhammer 40k is focus on guns.. warcraft is focus on swords and arrow.

nuff said :P no one copy anyone....

you sir forgot the chain sword, the power axe, the thunder hammer, the lightning claws, the hammer and shield setup of the terminators!

the heavy weapons such as the missile launcher, the plasma launcher, and the flamer!