Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Hacked again!!

Comments

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Personally, I would like to see SOE fined so heavily that the world economies could rebound off the gains.  Then I would like to see these hackers caught, tried in a court of law and then jailed for a time equal to one day for each person they subjected to risk by posting there information on the web.  From what I read I guess that would amount to about a million days.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Quirhid

The sliver lining here is that now companies, or atleast Sony, will take their server security more seriously like they should. Yes, releasing private information to the public is a bummer, but remember that Sony had a chance to improve their security a year ago when the hackers had discovered the weaknessess and informed Sony about them. They just didn't listen then, I bet they listen now.

Another thing is that while other companies hired crackers to improve the security of their systems, Sony went on a manhunt. Hackers lashed out in response and I bet Sony is regretting that decision by now.

Many posters are guilty of over-dramatizing this matter. This is nothing as serious as stealing a baby and then watching it drown for instance. Not even close.

In short, hackers are not the devil and Sony is definitely not the victim here. I see only good coming out of this in the future - although I don't care if Sony keels over or not.

Not sure if  'security' will be taken seriously by other companies. Some will but some won't.

Heck, even Sony themselves didn't take it seriously with this new hack!

Totally get that they are different but they all fall under the 'Sony' brand, one assumes that some of them actually watches the news and go, 'systems within the same company as us just got hacked! maybe we should check ours?'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• vonslashavonslasha Member Posts: 31

after the destroying of SWG i hope sony goes out of buisness

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

I don't classify what the hackers are doing against Sony as hacktivism as I think it is moving towards severe criminal activity.  But it does expose how we put too much trust in these corporations with our info, which they sell to make even more money on top of our sub (No surprise the F2P movement has picked up steam over the years).  

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Hoplites

I don't classify what the hackers are doing against Sony as hacktivism as I think it is moving towards severe criminal activity.  But it does expose how we put too much trust in these corporations with our info, which they sell to make even more money on top of our sub (No surprise the F2P movement has picked up steam over the years).  

Exactly, if they want to be some kind of martyr maybe they should think more about the people they are releasing the personal info of.  You have made your point, why harm the customers?

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156
  • stevengwstevengw Member Posts: 53

Has 1 of you even thought that it might be microsoft doing this?

Stores are being inondated with folk trading in PS3's, Xbox sales have shot through the roof..!

But "Sony stored over 1,000,000 passwords of its customers in plaintext!" the hackers stated.

Next Sony will be asking the tax payers for a bail out package!

The hackers even have a tweet ffs.

http://twitter.com/#!/lulzsec

Here is your data!

http://pastebin.com/Y38gCS82

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by stevengw

Stores are being inondated with folk trading in PS3's, Xbox sales have shot through the roof..!

But "Sony stored over 1,000,000 passwords of its customers in plaintext!" the hackers stated.

The hackers even have a tweet ffs.

http://twitter.com/#!/lulzsec

Here is your data!

http://pastebin.com/Y38gCS82

The thought has struck me that it could be some big competitor company that has employed hackers to bring sony  down.

Microsoft doesn't sound too far off.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

God I hope they don't, since they didn't take this threat seriously to begin with.

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Shoju

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I wish those hackers were shot and burn in hell.

All your personal data and info all over the net ffs...

Agreed.  It is one thing to have a beef against a company and desire to do them harm, but fucking over the general public sucks ass. 

Yes, when you start to endanger people, you've gone too far. I don't understand what they're proving by releasing information. Obviously they want to turn people away from Sony, but this is NOT the way to go about it.

• CorkCorkCorkCorkCorkCork Member Posts: 70

Man, I don't play Sony's games. Never at all in my lifetime ! I don't have a strong liking or hate for them, but it seems like they have taken a lot of shit over the years ! And I decently believe that the links below maybe one (far-fetched ?) possible reason why they were hacked !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystere_incident

http://stationblog.wordpress.com/2006/02/16/virtual-jail/

http://www.gamegrene.com/node/41

http://www.planetcrap.com/topics/153/

http://amplicate.com/hate/sony-online-entertainment

http://amplicate.com/love/sony-online-entertainment

Also. From the deepest darkest corners of the internet, I bring you these links too.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/EverQuest_II

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/EverQuest

http://mirror.uncyc.org/wiki/Star_wars_galaxies

Whenever you are really bored and don't wanna play an MMO game, go to: http://librivox.org/

Hey hey hey heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy.......

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

Originally posted by Belight

In the long run and big picture those low life hackers who deserve a bullet are doing you a favor. It's technological growing pains.

Keep giving your identity away to mega corporations who don't care an ounce about you and see what happens.

These companies are mining data. Why do they need your address and phone number on record? Why do grocery stores only offer you fair prices if you use their littel cards that store all your personal info? .

So they can make geographic consumer reports to improve their profits... They view as cattle... A cash crop to be monitored and exploited. They don't even have the respect to secure the info they've collected from you.

Personally I find the whole thing hilarious.

These assholes are the type of people that we have to worry about our information's security.  It is amazing to see the complete ignorance of some of the posters on these boards.  Think about WHY we need to worry about keeping that information safe in the first place.  Is it because or marketing research?  No.   Is it because of hackers stealing your information and making it public or misusing it?  Yes.  

Make no mistakes.  It's not the company who has put the users in the current situation.  It is the hackers.  Regardless of the security measures in place, without these assholes we wouldn't have to worry about the security in the first place. 

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

If your still messing around with SoE, then you shoulda known this was coming sooner or later, SoE has been pissing gamers and hackers off for a long time, and once Sony came out and said hackers couldnt touch them, I knew they were done for. The hackers will get the most blame for this, tho its clearly Sonys fault, they need to close their doors already.

P.S. Whos dumb enough to store their personal information with the companys? Every company these days has an option to remove your information after paying for your subscription so you never have to store your info with them, if you choose not to do that, its your own fault.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

I just can't believe passwords were stored in "plaintext". Even my poor php/mysql hash the password

The main problem in my opinion is not that password is encrypted or not. The main problem is they managed to access these data !!

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Sony was doing just fine on its own by pissing off hackers, PS3 customers and failing to secure their own network.  Microsoft not only would be in serious shit if they got caught being involved in this, but they really didn't need to do anything except sit back and watch Sony implode.

Originally posted by baldernono

I just can't believe passwords were stored in "plaintext". Even my poor php/mysql hash the password

The main problem in my opinion is not that password is encrypted or not. The main problem is they managed to access these data !!

The main problem is that these hackers are accessing this data.  End of story.  Without these hackers, security wouldn't be a concern.  Why do people dance around the fundamental reason that there has to be security in the first place?   Make no mistakes, the hackers are the ONLY ones responsible for the problems of those who have had their information leaked.  Nothing is completely secure when it's online.  There will always be a way to hack networks.  It's the hackers that take the time and dedicate themselves to hacking the networks that are the problem. 

Personally, I would love to see them put on terrorrist lists and hunted for life until they are caught.  Once found, handle them BinLaden style (how do ya spell that?  lol).  They want to make examples of a company, well make an example out of them as well.

I'm not too concerned about my info being stolen, because there isn't much they can do with my identity.  Unless they want around 50k in medical bills and 25k in school loans, then go for it.  I only got hit for around 500 bucks with the last hack which was all refunded to me.  However, the day I found out about the hacked account I ended up in the ER for cardiac problems.  I spent a week in the hospital having various tests done before I was shipped via ambulance to OSU MC's cardiac center in Columbus.  So while I'm getting poked and prodded and prepped for a cardiac procedure I have to worry about taking care of my bank account so I'm not out the 500 bucks. 

People will argue that the user's aren't "hurt", but make no mistakes the real vicitms are the users.  Companies bring in large sums of money and loose large sums of money.  It's what they do and they have ways to recover.  How about the average working person?  500 bucks may not be much but it's a lot more of a dent in my account than a small dip in profits to the large corporations. 

Am I pissed off about the hackers?  Yep.   Do I want more justice than is deserved?  Yep. 

That doesn't change the fact that the primary problem isn't a user's password, it isn't how hard a company is to hack into, it isn't how that information is encrypted, it is the people who set out to obtain that information and misuse it.  WIthout these assholes we wouldn't need the security in the first place.  End of story.

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375

Microsoft =))

gotta lov em

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by jmsgalla

Originally posted by baldernono

The main problem is that these hackers are accessing this data.  End of story.  Without these hackers, security wouldn't be a concern.  Why do people dance around the fundamental reason that there has to be security in the first place?   Make no mistakes, the hackers are the ONLY ones responsible for the problems of those who have had their information leaked.  Nothing is completely secure when it's online.  There will always be a way to hack networks.  It's the hackers that take the time and dedicate themselves to hacking the networks that are the problem. 

Personally, I would love to see them put on terrorrist lists and hunted for life until they are caught.  Once found, handle them BinLaden style (how do ya spell that?  lol).  They want to make examples of a company, well make an example out of them as well.

I'm not too concerned about my info being stolen, because there isn't much they can do with my identity.  Unless they want around 50k in medical bills and 25k in school loans, then go for it.  I only got hit for around 500 bucks with the last hack which was all refunded to me.  However, the day I found out about the hacked account I ended up in the ER for cardiac problems.  I spent a week in the hospital having various tests done before I was shipped via ambulance to OSU MC's cardiac center in Columbus.  So while I'm getting poked and prodded and prepped for a cardiac procedure I have to worry about taking care of my bank account so I'm not out the 500 bucks. 

People will argue that the user's aren't "hurt", but make no mistakes the real vicitms are the users.  Companies bring in large sums of money and loose large sums of money.  It's what they do and they have ways to recover.  How about the average working person?  500 bucks may not be much but it's a lot more of a dent in my account than a small dip in profits to the large corporations. 

Am I pissed off about the hackers?  Yep.   Do I want more justice than is deserved?  Yep. 

That doesn't change the fact that the primary problem isn't a user's password, it isn't how hard a company is to hack into, it isn't how that information is encrypted, it is the people who set out to obtain that information and misuse it.  WIthout these assholes we wouldn't need the security in the first place.  End of story.

Not that I agree with the approach taken by the hackers, but if companies didn't data mine their customers, security wouldn't be needed either.  Put a large amount of valuable "assets" in one place and someone is going to try and take them.  If it wasn't the case, banks wouldn't need vaults, jewelry and electronics stores wouldn't need security measures and websites wouldn't need to secure customer information.  Yeah, humans suck for the most part... we are opportunistic, morally lacking and vindictive, petty creatures (for the most part).  However, that is the way it is and it doesn't look like it will change soon.  Someone or some company willfully ignoring that is at fault as well.  To what degree, I don't know, but certainly they share in the blame.

Originally posted by Dalgor

If your still messing around with SoE, then you shoulda known this was coming sooner or later, SoE has been pissing gamers and hackers off for a long time, and once Sony came out and said hackers couldnt touch them, I knew they were done for. The hackers will get the most blame for this, tho its clearly Sonys fault, they need to close their doors already.

P.S. Whos dumb enough to store their personal information with the companys? Every company these days has an option to remove your information after paying for your subscription so you never have to store your info with them, if you choose not to do that, its your own fault.

When did sony come out and say hackers can't touch them? If anything , that is the reason why they are getting hacked.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

All this wha wha wha hackers are bad and shouldnt do this is a load of bullcrap, since what 3 or 4 decades now most gamers have been hackers its just the way of the world, and I bet these hackers WERE Sony gamers, before Sony ruinned themselves their games and tried to act all big and bad.

Hackers have been here, always have, always will, you notice they didnt get any attention for decades, untill now, they've gotten fed up with the BS spewing forth from this company and the Taunting by a particular company, so they answered back!

Guess people are finally getting a wake up call that the internet isnt secure, it never has been, but they just didnt have blind proof so they've just tried to stay oblivious. If it can be made, it can be hacked, just accept it, it sucks if your information got put on the web, but all you have to do it go and change your info, when Sony finally closes it wont be an issue anymore.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

All this wha wha wha hackers are bad and shouldnt do this is a load of bullcrap, since what 3 or 4 decades now most gamers have been hackers its just the way of the world, and I bet these hackers WERE Sony gamers, before Sony ruinned themselves their games and tried to act all big and bad.

Hackers have been here, always have, always will, you notice they didnt get any attention for decades, untill now, they've gotten fed up with the BS spewing forth from this company and the Taunting by a particular company, so they answered back!

Guess people are finally getting a wake up call that the internet isnt secure, it never has been, but they just didnt have blind proof so they've just tried to stay oblivious. If it can be made, it can be hacked, just accept it, it sucks if your information got put on the web, but all you have to do it go and change your info, when Sony finally closes it wont be an issue anymore.

Spoken like a true hacker.

What if, as a result of this data leak somebody, it might be you,  falls victom to financial fraud?    That is my biggest concern here.

I couldn't give a rats ass about my SOE account, or any other sony account I have. Just my info that could be used to start bank accounts, credit cards, cell phone accounts,  checks, and whatever have you.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Again, as I said in my PM response to you, you are convienently misreading posts. In my post as well in those of others here we have expressed sympathy for those customers who have suffered. One can express sympathy but also note that those affected should have known something like this could/would happen to Sony/SOE of all folks. Especially with their MMO history. They most certainly have pissed some people off such that they would do this kind of thing to them (Sony/SOE).

And I don't remember reading (may have missed it) a post where it was said the customers derserved it.  1)

I've only seen where folks said Sony/SOE deserved to get hacked. As I tried to point out in my initial response (which it seems in the passion of the moment that part was passed over) it was a logical thing for those hackers to do if they wanted to hurt Sony/SOE bad. Hurting their customers hurts them.

Now, don't try to force morals into that last statement. Logic has nothing to do with right and wrong. Most here would agree that it was morally wrong. But again, that has nothing to do with if what they did was logically, tactically right to achieve the end result they wanted, which again, was to hurt Sony/SOE. And hurting customers to the point they don't feel safe in doing business with a company will produce that result 2).

1) I'm most definitely not misreading posts, I think I caught the implications quite well.

Originally posted by Belight

Interesting point. Fortunatly for me I'm an asshole who generally hates people and am laughing at this whole thing.

I cana gree that anyone who uses the leaked info to charge soemthing to someone elses account is a thief. But I dunno, I just don't seem to care.

I guess I view this as more of a wake up call for peopel to be safe with their info and to not just trust and hand over their information to corporations. Again I'm a dick with no sympathy.

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

That said I'm a SWG vet that doesn't spend my ever day wishing for bad stuff to happen but I certainly don't feel bad about things like this happening to Sony/SOE. I feel bad for the people whose information got put out there, but the other part of me says not to feel too bad as many (of which I was one) have pointed out terrible of a company this is to do business with. It's like telling someone not to play Russian Roulette with a .44 Magnum, and they ignore you anyway. Well, once they shoot their toe off, are you gonna feel bad? I wouldn't.

Just a few examples, there were more people who said similar things. So, because you had a bad experience because they diminished your gaming fun when they changed a game that was precious to you, suddenly it's such a bad company that it deserves to be punished and everyone that did business with them deserves it too, because it apparently is their own fault? What's next? Funcom? Or EA, Activision, Cryptic or NCSoft?

And again, you are misreading and trying to put intent as best you can behind words that just aren't there. You keep harping on the word "deserves" when, at least in my own writing, I never said they deserved it. I sure illustrated how their actions in ignoring the bad press Sony/SOE has gotten in the multitudes and doing business with them anyway got them in the predicament they are in know.  As I said in our other pm conversations all of us in this gaming/computer community know about hackers. We know how the slightest thing can give them reason to act. And, again, we know that SOE in particular's action of the recent past have given plenty of reason for said hackers to act. Again, right or wrong isn't my argument, cause and effect is.

2) It has much in common with the mindset of a terrorist: there are no real innocents if they're linked to the target, and if it'll damage the target by hurting bystanders, then that's how it has to be. It's how they justified killing people with the 9/11 attacks, because it'd hurt their target, the US as government and nation. And yes, I went so far to make that comparison. Even if no one is killed, the mentality, a 'the end justifies any means' mindset is the same.

Here, as I said in PM is where you are wrong again. As I pointed out before the idea of the "ends justifies the means" was formalized by Niccolo Machiavelli in the early 1500s in a book called The Prince (Il Principe). One of his points was that rulers (leaders) must be conscious of reputation but also be ready to act immorally. And, as I said in pm this book is held in high regard by people all over the world. It is given as reading in schools. Goverment leaders practice its teachings as well as probably more than a few execs at Sony/SOE.

Again, the argument I'm making here is not the moral one so let's stay away from easy sympathy getters like invoking the 9/11 attacks to use as comparisons (and I won't invoke how many people I've known and/or trained who aren't coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, mkay). The argument I'm making is not an emotional one. It's the cold point that they did logically what they needed to do to cause the most harm. That doesn't mean I condone it, it just means I recognize they did what they had to do in order to get you and me and others here talking about this today for as long as we have. If they hadn't released people's info, this would all but be a non-story.

Also, so far all the arguments I've read why Sony deserved it by the people cheering those hackers on come down to this:

'they diminished my gaming fun when they made changes in the game I loved to play, and that's why they deserve to be destroyed even if the means is damaging a million+ of bystanders in the process'

Well, then, you haven't paid much attention to the goings on at Sony/SOE over the last few years, especially with regards to MMO gaming. I'm not surprised people aren't going to outline bullet point by point for you here the reasons why. Why? Well, 1) the mods would jump in and say that there are already threads in the appropriate forums for such discussion and 2) see number one.

Now, personally, I never cheered the hackers on. That said, there is nothing that says I can't smile a bit at what happened to Sony/SOE. No where is it mandated that I have to like that company. In fact, they have purposefully taken actions for me not to like them. I can't tell you how much I wish they never had done the NGE, which most likely never would have led to these attacks, which would mean you and I wouldn't be having this conversation and ultimately would mean I would be checking harvesters and looking for resource shift changes right about now.

So, yeah, I'm not wasting my days wishing for stuff like this to happen to Sony/SOE, but you better believe if it does, I don't feel sorry for that company, for sure. Customers that were hurt, absolutly I feel sorry for (though I maintain there is enough information out there to educate folks in who they are dealing with in SOE in particular). SOE didn't feel sorry for me when they switched their game with the NGE so why should I ever feel sorry for them for any reason (other than loss of life).

Wow. There are simply no words to describe that kind of mentality.

I can only say that if that's the kind of mentality that is dominant in some groups of MMO gamers, then I hope there won't be many of those on the servers I play on. It's certainly a hell of a lot more vindictive and negative and a league away from the vibe and mindset of the MMO gamers of the very first years of MMO gaming, at least on the servers I played on.

The Machiavellian philosophy of the ends justifying the means is rampant in MMOG gaming, Maverick. It really isn't that hard to see. Kill stealing, PvP ganking, griefing of all sorts. And don't try to play that "it didn't happen in the old days" card. I was there the first day the Ultima Online servers were up. I felt full force the roving bands of Reds while I was out killing dear for hides and meat. I watched people get suicide ganked for those of you who remember what that is.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• CorkCorkCorkCorkCorkCork Member Posts: 70

Google pays white hat hackers who help identify bugs. Microsoft permits hackers to unlock its Kinect gaming device and invites some of them to its conferences.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_21/b4229035889849.htm

Of course. One could convincingly argue that the two companies above deal with different products which do not involve personal information or unknown hackers. And the whole SOE saga, I admit, is different and very damaging. So there is room for debate.

Whenever you are really bored and don't wanna play an MMO game, go to: http://librivox.org/

Hey hey hey heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy.......

Oh don't start the "don't blame SOE, it's not their fault" part, SOE actually ADMITTED that they didn't take action when they were warned and didn't have proper server security (outdated webservers and firewalls) and they didn't properly store passwords and stored an outdated database (which most of those user data are still valid today) sitting there. Every website you know of today gets hit everyday by hack attempts, servers with good enough security and firewalls will fend off the attacks (but can suffer online downtime due to traffic overload). Systems at UBC here in Vancouver was DDoS'd for 4 months straight, and there were no breach.

I'm not even logging into any of the games with the 45 day free sub.

This is a bull shit argument as well.  Information isn't safe ANYWHERE outside of the protection of your house and even then if someone wanted it they can get it.  Have bank account?  Think that information is safe?  All it takes is one teller to go bad and start keeping a list of the account information they have access to.  If someone thought their information was safe on the internet then they were a fool to believe so.  Most people were just willing to accept the risk of having their shit stolen just like they do anywhere.

Park your car at WalMart, lock the doors, set the alarm, some jackass comes and smashes the window with a tire iron and steals your radio or the car itself.  Is it WalMart's fault now?  Is it your fault for not having unbreakable glass windows?  It's the fault of the thieves.

Hackers ARE "bad" as you so elquently put it, and they should NOT do what they are doing.  There are different ways to handle problems.  People died at the trade center in 2k because of some whacko's beliefs.  We didn't have enough security.  Was that the best way to find out?  Was using innocent victims the best way to make a point?  It's a bit more severe but the "weapon" used to drive the point home is still the innocent victims.

The situation sucks and whatever support these hackers may have had in the past is dwindling down with each stunt they pull.  It will get worse.  I don't doubt that.  However, in the end they will be handled.