Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Hacked again!!

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by syntax42

The thread title is misleading.  Information was released.  The article does not say when they got the information.  It was probably acquired during the hacking that occurred a little over a month ago, which led to the PSN shutdown.

The information that was released seems to be a new hack.  it is completely unrelated to either SoE or PSN though.  The hackers even listed the website they got through on.

Obviously Sony (the parent corp) needs to get its act together fast.  They may have fixed up PSN and SoE but they didnt fix everything else.

Originally posted by mrw0lf

My question would be why aren't they hacking blizzard or the like? Given the recent hacks of other 'secure' comapnies/organisations sounds to me like these hackers are going for easy bait? They lack the skill to hit anyone but Sony and lack the morals to see releasing peoples personal details is just childminded.

because blizzard didnt sue the guy that hacked the ps3.  this is making innocent people pay to push your (arguably extremely misguided) personal agenda.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by mrw0lf

My question would be why aren't they hacking blizzard or the like? Given the recent hacks of other 'secure' comapnies/organisations sounds to me like these hackers are going for easy bait? They lack the skill to hit anyone but Sony and lack the morals to see releasing peoples personal details is just childminded.

because blizzard didnt sue the guy that hacked the ps3.  this is making innocent people pay to push your (arguably extremely misguided) personal agenda.

The motivations of this group doesn't seem to represent that of the previous, they are taking these actions because they can. Well we can all do things in life which are just wrong, many of choose not to.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Belight

In the long run and big picture those low life hackers who deserve a bullet are doing you a favor. It's technological growing pains.

Keep giving your identity away to mega corporations who don't care an ounce about you and see what happens.

These companies are mining data. Why do they need your address and phone number on record? Why do grocery stores only offer you fair prices if you use their littel cards that store all your personal info?

So they can make geographic consumer reports to improve their profits... They view as cattle... A cash crop to be monitored and exploited.

It's bullshit.

The fact that I give information to companies doesn't excuse hackers one fucking bit to just publicize all the info they've stolen all over the net just because they have a grudge with a company. That's insane logic.

If criminals rob a bank where I have a deposit safe with valuables and they take it for use, then I won't be going 'ahh, how smart they are, take my stuff, you deserve it'.

... then again, I just read your earlier statement saying "It's karma for what they did to SWG..." and suddenly your whole statement makes sense.

It stands to reason that (some) SWG hardcore vets have an eternal grudge towards Sony for ruining their gaming fun, to the point that they'd be happy to see Sony discredited no matter if that means that people's personal info is put on risk.

First, watch yourself at this moment when you are personally hurt and with respect to your narrowly defining people. A wrong done to you does not give you right to do wrong to others, even if it is only forum reputation.

That said I'm a SWG vet that doesn't spend my ever day wishing for bad stuff to happen but I certainly don't feel bad about things like this happening to Sony/SOE. I feel bad for the people whose information got put out there, but the other part of me says not to feel too bad as many (of which I was one) have pointed out terrible of a company this is to do business with. It's like telling someone not to play Russian Roulette with a .44 Magnum, and they ignore you anyway. Well, once they shoot their toe off, are you gonna feel bad? I wouldn't.

Which brings me to why I initially responded to your specific post. It indeed is not insane logic. You're directly hit so it clouds your ability to look at it. If they had just broken in and got the information but did nothing with it people and currnet customers would just sit back and do nothing. After a time it'd be forgotten andnothing will have changed. By putting that information out there, heinous as it may be, they are affecting Sony/SOE as customer to some degree will stop doing business with them.

So, again, not saying it was right, but if you take a cold calculated look at it, it was a way to actually hurt Sony/SOE that would actually have an affect.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

In the long run and big picture those low life hackers who deserve a bullet are doing you a favor. It's technological growing pains.

Keep giving your identity away to mega corporations who don't care an ounce about you and see what happens.

These companies are mining data. Why do they need your address and phone number on record? Why do grocery stores only offer you fair prices if you use their littel cards that store all your personal info?

So they can make geographic consumer reports to improve their profits... They view as cattle... A cash crop to be monitored and exploited.

It's bullshit.

The fact that I give information to companies doesn't excuse hackers one fucking bit to just publicize all the info they've stolen all over the net just because they have a grudge with a company. That's insane logic.

If criminals rob a bank where I have a deposit safe with valuables and they take it for use, then I won't be going 'ahh, how smart they are, take my stuff, you deserve it'.

... then again, I just read your earlier statement saying "It's karma for what they did to SWG..." and suddenly your whole statement makes sense.

It stands to reason that (some) SWG hardcore vets have an eternal grudge towards Sony for ruining their gaming fun, to the point that they'd be happy to see Sony discredited no matter if that means that people's personal info is put on risk.

First, watch yourself at this moment when you are personally hurt and with respect to your narrowly defining people. A wrong done to you does not give you right to do wrong to others, even if it is only forum reputation.

That said I'm a SWG vet that doesn't spend my ever day wishing for bad stuff to happen but I certainly don't feel bad about things like this happening to Sony/SOE. I feel bad for the people whose information got put out there, but the other part of me says not to feel too bad as many (of which I was one) have pointed out terrible of a company this is to do business with. It's like telling someone not to play Russian Roulette with a .44 Magnum, and they ignore you anyway. Well, once they shoot their toe off, are you gonna feel bad? I wouldn't.

Which brings me to why I initially responded to your specific post. It indeed is not insane logic. You're directly hit so it clouds your ability to look at it. If they had just broken in and got the information but did nothing with it people and currnet customers would just sit back and do nothing. After a time it'd be forgotten andnothing will have changed. By putting that information out there, heinous as it may be, they are affecting Sony/SOE as customer to some degree will stop doing business with them.

So, again, not saying it was right, but if you take a cold calculated look at it, it was a way to actually hurt Sony/SOE that would actually have an affect.

No it is still bullshit. Your hate for a video game company can not jusitfy the henious activities of these hackers. A way to hurt Sony/SOE that would actually have an effect? at what cost? information of million of innocent people floating on internet ready for grabs? like i said bullshit.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

GOOD LORD. I was convinced this was a joke.

Are they trying to kill their own company, jesus christ.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Your argument makes no sense. I might as well argue that you were directly hit by SOE's NGE move on SWG, and that's why it clouds your ability to look at stuff objectively. If this has happened to another company like for example Rift where your credit card and personal info is stored, would you still have reacted like that? Or what if it was your bank that had been hacked and your personal info was leaked?

What if the persons that would have hacked your bank and the companies you do business with like for example Trion, what if they had a case to make against those companies 'as their right of a customer to make a point'. Would you still have said, 'oh right, you want to make a case and affect the bank or game company I left my info at, go ahead, I fully understand and support it'.

Or is it just the companies that you dislike or disagree with that you feel ought to be hacked? If so, who made you the judge? What if someone has a justified grievance with another company that you feel indifferent or positive about? What if it's Activision Blizzard, or EA/Bioware, or Square Enix or Trion or any other?

That's why it's insane logic, it only camouflages the feelings of glee and gloating and vengeance if people think it's a good thing to happen, which some - I emphasize 'some', no way am I saying this applies to all - SWG hardcore vets have in abundance: but basically those hackers decided to 'punish' or discredit a company they had a grievance for, no matter the cost that it would have on innocents.

Apparently in your and their eyes those people from whom their personal info has been thrown on the internet are namely not innocent at all since they still are affiliated with said company. I'm pretty sure that terrorists think the same way, that there are no true innocents if they're linked in any way to their target. Same mindset, with maybe the difference that in this case there are no dead victims.

Originally posted by Getalife

No it is still bullshit. Your hate for a video game company can not jusitfy the henious activities of these hackers. A way to hurt Sony/SOE that would actually have an effect? at what cost? information of million of innocent people floating on internet ready for grabs? like i said bullshit.

This.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• pepcfreakpepcfreak Member UncommonPosts: 106

First and formost these are all Sonypictures accounts. Nothing relating to SOE or Sony Playstation. If you look at their website you will see they even hit PBS and Fox.

Get your facts straight.

http://lulzsecurity.com/releases/

1.  I doubt anyone here is directly hit by this attack.   This was SONY BMG information, not SoE or PSN

2. You really think Sony is the only company with serious security flaws?  This same terrorist group hacked PBS and Fox and got information from them too.  The russian roulette analogy with Sony holding the gun is idiotic.  The better analogy is giving out personal information on the internet is like playing russian roulette.

3. Exactly who are you looking to hurt?  Any particular person targetted is going to get another job if they lose theirs at Sony.  Even Smedley would be just fine.  

4. The people that get hurt don't deserve it.  Because someone entered some sweepstakes years ago they deserve their personal information on the web?  the hundreds of thousands of people that enjoy SoE games deserve to see their games lose development staff because lucas arts wanted 'iconic classes'?

Anyone that feels good that this is happening to Sony better hope the karma they feel SoE got doesnt actually exist because they got their own coming their way.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

It's karma for what they did to SWG...

But seriously, no encription for millions of user's info...... Nice.

So when does Lucaas Arts get their karma?  They deserve worse than SoE because they most likely had a much bigger role in it...

As for the hack, this looks like Sony patched up PSN and SoE but left the rest of their stuff under the old system.  This information looks like nothing to do with PSN or SoE

When you show any Lucas Arts employees admitting to having a "bigger" role, then maybe you have something to talk about.  Until then we will have to believe the several SOE employees who admitted they created and promoted the changes.  (not that I believe this is karma or related to any mmo). 

Much like you saying Sony fixed up the PSN/SOE networks.  The PSN has already had several instances of either getting hacked or allowing severe security flaws go live. 

Keep in mind these exploits are basic level stuff and Sony is only finding out about them after they have been hacked and hackers have openly admitted to gaining access.  At this point it is pretty clear that any statements of Sony being secure anywhere are beyond reasonable. 

Sony has demonstrated nothing but incompetence throughout this whole situation and this will not be the last of the intrusions.   To even suggest Sony has rebuilt their entire network from the ground up in a matter of a few days and things are locked down is disingenious at best. 

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I really don't like where these hackers are leading us into.

• veratutazzveratutazz Member UncommonPosts: 136

<edited for content> 

This has nothing to do with SWG. Period. Throwing bombs at each other due to love/hate over SWG & what was done to it is just a distraction from this thread topic. Both aspects of these quotes, IMHO, contain warpage due to personal feelings.

There are millions of people who do business with Sony and have never touched SWG or even know wtf it is.

And, for the record, the *cold calculating* LOGICAL way to do this would be to release a redacted version that scrambled the numbers and vowels >at the very least< of all the data.

An even more efficent way to handle this would have been to email every person who's data was stolen detailing the data stolen (ONLY THAT PERSON's) , how it was done( ergo-Sony has no security), and whatever else blhadiddy blah touchdown-dance-I-hate-Sony-i-am-awesome smack they wanted to put in the emails.

There is no excuse for publicizing on the internet hunderds of thousands (or however many) of innocent customer's information.

Period.

It does not serve a greater purpose, It does not bring justice to Sony in an efficient manner. It is an economical terrorist act. It is not much different than spraying shelves at all the local Wal-Marts in a given area with a cold virus... for any frakking reason including protesting their treatment of their employees, ect.

No amount of "I don't like Sony and you should have realized they were a bunch of fools/jerks/morons too and its your fault for giving them your info" is justifiable.

My grandmother doesn't know what SWG is & there is no reasonable expectation surrounding the hypothesis that she should have somehow known that Sony has balls for internet security.

IMHO this all startted because a group of self righteous hackers publically attacked Sony over a lawsuit they saw as "unfair"

(as if in some way the law can't figure that out on its own)

that got hijacked for a truly malicious cyber attack  and it has now boiled down to a free-for-all of copycat jackheaded wannabe antics.

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

wow, this is some serious shit right here. Sony's about to get their asses chewed out

Originally posted by Daffid011

When you show any Lucas Arts employees admitting to having a "bigger" role, then maybe you have something to talk about.  Until then we will have to believe the several SOE employees who admitted they created and promoted the changes.  (not that I believe this is karma or related to any mmo). 

The one SoE employee that spoke at length about the subject actually said they tried to fight the crux of the NGE (removal of the skill system into a rigid class system).  They had no choice in the matter.  So stop spreading misleading information.  People actually believe the crap people like you post without researching for themselves.

Originally posted by pepcfreak

First and formost these are all Sonypictures accounts. Nothing relating to SOE or Sony Playstation. If you look at their website you will see they even hit PBS and Fox.

Get your facts straight.

http://lulzsecurity.com/releases/

Quoted and copied.

Nice catch thnx for the update

So.. they're equal opportunity jackmonkies. Nice.

OMG I just went to lulzsecurity.com *FACEPALM*

These tards have a public webpage where they post all the stolen data from companies they attack with the theme to the loveboat in the background.

and a blog.

Someone please arrest these complete morons.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

No one encrypts their data on the server side, except maybe passwords, but it doesn't matter, because if you can manage a dump, you probably have the descryption key anyways.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's avoid baiting each other into arguments guys. Thanks!

Originally posted by veratutazz

OMG I just went to lulzsecurity.com *FACEPALM*

These tards have a public webpage where they post all the stolen data from companies they attack with the theme to the loveboat in the background.

and a blog.

Someone please arrest these complete morons.

The fallout will be interesting.  this group is publicly taking credit for this severaly criminal act.  The FBI WILL be involved in this with this size of a breach with two major companies + PBS having information stolen and published.  We are about to see just how good these hackers are.

This is an example of one of their "summary" pages...

<edited only for haking related content & language>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SonyPictures.com has been owned,

this is its SQLi hole:

<<<<EDIT>>>

TEAR THE LIVING S*** (of course, they uses the actual word) OUT OF IT WHILE YOU CAN; TAKE FROM THEM EVERYTHING!

Contents of our plunder:

## Sony_Pictures_International_AUTOTRADER_USERS.txt ##

-- In this file you will find just under 12,500 customers of Sony;

this includes dates of birth, addresses, emails, full names,

passwords, user IDs, and personal phone numbers.

## Sony_Pictures_International_BEAUTY_USERS.txt ##

-- In this file you will find just under 21,000 customers of Sony;

this is a simple email/password drop. Enjoy your account stealing.

## Sony_Pictures_International_COUPONS.txt ##

-- In this file you will find just under 20,000 Sony music coupons;

please note that there are 3.5 million coupons to take - get 'em.

## Sony_Pictures_International_DELBOCA_USERS.txt ##

-- In this file you will find just under 18,000 customers of Sony;

this is a simple email/password drop. Again, enjoy your stealing.

## Sony_Pictures_International_MUSIC_CODES.txt ##

-- In this file you will find just under 67,000 Sony music codes;

they're like magnets, we simply have no idea how they work.

## Sony_Pictures_International_TABLE_LAYOUT.txt ##

-- In this file you will find the layout of the database;

that means you can easily see where to steal things from.

Note that the database contains far more user information/coupons

than we took. The point is that we had control of them; all of them.

We leave the rest up to you - steal as much as you want, go forth!

ADDITIONAL OWNAGE:

## Sony_BMG_Music_Entertainment_NETHERLANDS ##

-- This file contains the user database of BMG Netherlands;

it's around 600 usernames, emails, and passwords. Enjoy.

## Sony_BMG_Music_Entertainment_BELGIUM ##

-- This file contains the Sony admin database of BMG Belgium;

also lots of barcodes, release dates, and other juicy s***.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Epic FACEPALM*

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Not sure if i am getting the jist here but from what i am gathering Sony are using a cheap and totally out of date security as their protection which (from what i gather) only requires the simplest of hacks to break through it.

Yes, i do not agree with the way the hackers are doing things, but a company like sony should also have state of the art security in place. Now i just hope that other companies have got their stuff in order too as i bet once they have finished with sony they will hit other big names and one of those for online stuff will be blizzard (when i asked them the question) about how safe our details are in the light of SoE's recent events and they deleted my post. Guessing they aint going to reply, so only time will tell.

I doubt it will just be game's companies though, this whole thing has now got me untrusting the web with any form of details. Right back to 10yrs ago when i did think the web was totally unsafe for any of that and could not be trusted.

Originally posted by Manestream

Not sure if i am getting the jist here but from what i am gathering Sony are using a cheap and totally out of date security as their protection which (from what i gather) only requires the simplest of hacks to break through it.

Yes, i do not agree with the way the hackers are doing things, but a company like sony should also have state of the art security in place. Now i just hope that other companies have got their stuff in order too as i bet once they have finished with sony they will hit other big names and one of those for online stuff will be blizzard (when i asked them the question) about how safe our details are in the light of SoE's recent events and they deleted my post. Guessing they aint going to reply, so only time will tell.

I doubt it will just be game's companies though, this whole thing has now got me untrusting the web with any form of details. Right back to 10yrs ago when i did think the web was totally unsafe for any of that and could not be trusted.

As has been said, same group has hacked PBS and Fox and posted personal information.  So its obviously not just Sony thats hackable.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

I think it's about time they find out who is doing the hacking and give them a hefty prison sentance... Federal Prison or something...  This is some bullshit. They are now putting peoples information on the interwebs so that real criminals can steal it and abuse it for whatever purposes they might have... IE fraud, etc...

Find these hackers and lock them up now!

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

The one SoE employee that spoke at length about the subject actually said they tried to fight the crux of the NGE (removal of the skill system into a rigid class system).  They had no choice in the matter.  So stop spreading misleading information.  People actually believe the crap people like you post without researching for themselves.

Like I said, when you can post ANY lucas art employee having any "big" involvement in the changes then by all means call me out.  Post your information.  Shed light on the truth you speculate exists.  Until then there have been multiple SOE employees who have told their story.  What do you have?

Regardless, it is complete hogwash to even suggest Sony is secure at this time.   Hearing your silence I assume you agree.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by sungodra

I think it's about time they find out who is doing the hacking and give them a hefty prison sentance... Federal Prison or something...  This is some bullshit. They are now putting peoples information on the interwebs so that real criminals can steal it and abuse it for whatever purposes they might have... IE fraud, etc...

Find these hackers and lock them up now!

This

It stops being some social justice thing the moment innocent people and customers start to suffer.  Also at this point no matter how much they slate sony THEY are the criminals THEY are the ones enabling and being the catalyst for Fraud yes Sony should know better but you know what, that doesnt stop these hackers being criminals like any other.

Scum the lot of em, I hope they are found and all locked up..