Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do girls have a higher affinity to healing than guys?

Comments

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Husband here that's far more likely to play healer then his Wife.  She used to play bards, but eventually decided she preferred to play tanks -- now it's hard to get her to play much else unless maybe a mage.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by angerbeaver

Going by voice in vent and people I know in real life all the girls I know play paladin or Hunter in WoW. The pally may be a healer, not sure but the hunters definitely aren't.

You know how good your memory is at analyzing your life knowledge for statistical trends?  Absolutely horrible.  There's a reason why anecdotal evidence sucks.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I had to vote no as most of the women I personally know that play these games seem to gravitate towards PvP than anything else. They are extremely vicious about it also. They would rather stick a sword through your heart than heal you. lol

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Originally posted by Drachasor

Going by voice in vent and people I know in real life all the girls I know play paladin or Hunter in WoW. The pally may be a healer, not sure but the hunters definitely aren't.

You know how good your memory is at analyzing your life knowledge for statistical trends?  Absolutely horrible.  There's a reason why anecdotal evidence sucks.

Thank you  Bill Nye the Science Guy.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Depends.  Is "healing" meant as some kind of euphemism?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Bah, don't blame the man/woman for having utilized his/her intellectual capacity.  It's refreshing to see someone point out basic reasoning. 

The difference between a conversation as the one we see above vs a conversation between the educated is that the latter do not just throw out opinions that make sense within the possibly limited framework of their own minds (i.e., their academic experiences, for example).  History has given us a plethora of individuals who have caused societal issues   based on opinions that derive from an inarticulate and undereducated knowledge base (Rapture doctrine anyone?).  The latter group, that is: the educated, hold themselves to a higher standard for the benefit of bringing actual knowledge to the table of any debate.

We site sources, point to research, and compare those sources and that research among those we are having the discussion with (because research can as well be flawed, or a more modern study can in fact show differing results from an initial study due to a change in population sample, for example).

Finally, we live in a society that appears to be losing a sense for the importance and value of education.  To turn around and advertise that we ourselves saw the last comment,e.g., You know how good your memory is at analyzing...etc, as one that would have to come from a man who has a love of scientific inquiry and that normal every day readers cannot as well derive the same level of intellectual articulation, is a poor way to advertise our own cognitive challenges.

/my 2 cents.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I'm going to say yes, probably. I would also go with them taking up the cooking tradeskill whenever possible, I think it's just a genetic/evolutionary thing.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by mrw0lf

I'm going to say yes, probably. I would also go with them taking up the cooking tradeskill whenever possible, I think it's just a genetic/evolutionary thing.

Oh yeah, and all women probably want to play an MMO where they get pregnant and just raise babies, cook, shop, and defer to men!

Oh yes, I see it now, Homemaker: The Dark Kitchening

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

No. Men don't have a higher affinity for tanking either. The numbers only appear skewed because there are more men in rpg's. Anything that doesn't confirm it is female is assumed to be male (so any girl not talking on good ol' vent).

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

Oh yeah, and all women probably want to play an MMO where they get pregnant and just raise babies, cook, shop, and defer to men!

I can't think of an mmo where pregnancy and deferment are features but the cooking I already agreed with, the shopping thing makes sense too, you're getting idea. If you think about it playing to your strengths is actually a smart way to play.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

That was entertaining.. I am sure it was all in good fun..... lol..

Unless, you were being serious?

But you know what, it is standard in this genre for females to carry the support role.. In gender locked games, if you want to play a healer you have to be female.. Alot of people (no matter the real life gender) will make a female healer in games with no gender locks..

It is just what we have come to expect.. And most of the time these healers are not "gritty and tough" types like say, a combat medic.. They are usually represented by a innocent faced, young and barely dressed lollie.. Your typical "dream nurse in a mini skirt" thing, more sexual and feminine.. And alot of females can identify with more of that foxy like attribute which is probably why they play the lightly armored / robed classes.. (mages, clerics, and rogues)

There was a huge discussion on the Rift forums about costume slots and what females should be able to wear etc.. And needless to say most of the suggestions were anti-armor..

• xantrisxantris Member Posts: 38
    My personal experience is that an abnormally high percentage of female gamers are healers, and the rest fall into DPS categories. I've only played with one girl that tanked.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If you won't accept corroborating anecdotal data and you won't accept data taken from a sizable survey sample (40K MMO gamers), what kind of data should people present?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

If you won't accept corroborating anecdotal data and you won't accept data taken from a sizable survey sample (40K MMO gamers), what kind of data should people present?

Anecdotal data is horrible for determining the trends in a population.  Agree?

A survey that depends on people finding the website and volunteering for it is also horrible.  How is that better than a forum survey or the like?  A proper survey needs to (in simplified terms) get data from a random selection of the population.  The people that go out of their way to fill in a survey online on a website they wouldn't otherwise visit is NOT a random selection.  So that particular survey isn't very good.  Do you disagree with that?  If so, why?

I can't think of an mmo where pregnancy and deferment are features but the cooking I already agreed with, the shopping thing makes sense too, you're getting idea. If you think about it playing to your strengths is actually a smart way to play.

One of us clearly has a faulty sarcasm detector.  I am not sure which one...maybe both.  Hard to get them to work with text.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

All the female players I know are either offensive mages or archers.

I'm male, and 90% of the time I'm the healer.

Edit: I'm sure what Drach is getting at is you can't take a survey like this seriously since you can't verify the identities of the people in the survey. There are just as many men taking the survey as women, and the people participating may be using answers based on bias rather than personal experience which, even in the case of the latter, isn't enough to justify a result. So no, it's fun to take part in polls, but it still means nothing.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Kind of a silly question. Some women play healers, some don't just like some men play healers and some don't. You're not going to find some great unhidden truth with this like I suspect you think you are going to OP.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Anecdotal data is horrible for determining the trends in a population.  Agree?

A survey that depends on people finding the website and volunteering for it is also horrible.  How is that better than a forum survey or the like?  A proper survey needs to (in simplified terms) get data from a random selection of the population.  The people that go out of their way to fill in a survey online on a website they wouldn't otherwise visit is NOT a random selection.  So that particular survey isn't very good.  Do you disagree with that?  If so, why?

The information you are basing your conclusion on is a bit incorrect. News of his surveys and perticipation requests were sent through Facebook, many guild news channels and also by individual efforts of representatives in the various countries where the samples were taken. His data matches that of the SOE EQ2 data and past DFC Intelligence reports. Based on the consistent accuracy of his findings over the past 8-9 years, I find Nick Yee's reports to be a reliable and valuable collection of data to work with. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

All the female players I know are either offensive mages or archers.

I'm male, and 90% of the time I'm the healer.

mmm that's interesting, do all the female players you know wear dungarees irl? And can you do all the moves to ymca?

-----

The information you are basing your conclusion on is a bit incorrect. News of his surveys and perticipation requests were sent through Facebook, many guild news channels and also by individual efforts of representatives in the various countries where the samples were taken. His data matches that of the SOE EQ2 data and past DFC Intelligence reports. Based on the consistent accuracy of his findings over the past 8-9 years, I find Nick Yee's reports to be a reliable and valuable collection of data to work with. 

Again, such efforts are not being done in a way to guarantee a random sample by what you are saying.  As such they are very likely to be biased.  If you went door to door at 2pm to do a survey, even if you surveyed one million people, you'd get biased results.  Similarly, surveys like this will only grab people who have a lot of self-motivation to do a survey or are part of a very organized guild with a website, etc, etc.  It's going to be biased.

And what do you mean by it matching the EQ2 data?  How does that even make sense?  The classes are completely different and one wouldn't necessarily expect trends in one game be the same as another.  Mind linking to these DFC reports?  I didn't find any that went over gamer gender and what class they played so I can't take a look to see how they compare and how the research was done.

I remain skeptical because proper studies with online populations are very difficult to do.  It doesn't sound like they went about it in the right way (which would be far more expensive than what they are doing).

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Comaf

Bah, don't blame the man/woman for having utilized his/her intellectual capacity.  It's refreshing to see someone point out basic reasoning. 

The difference between a conversation as the one we see above vs a conversation between the educated is that the latter do not just throw out opinions that make sense within the possibly limited framework of their own minds (i.e., their academic experiences, for example).  History has given us a plethora of individuals who have caused societal issues   based on opinions that derive from an inarticulate and undereducated knowledge base (Rapture doctrine anyone?).  The latter group, that is: the educated, hold themselves to a higher standard for the benefit of bringing actual knowledge to the table of any debate.

We site sources, point to research, and compare those sources and that research among those we are having the discussion with (because research can as well be flawed, or a more modern study can in fact show differing results from an initial study due to a change in population sample, for example).

Finally, we live in a society that appears to be losing a sense for the importance and value of education.  To turn around and advertise that we ourselves saw the last comment,e.g., You know how good your memory is at analyzing...etc, as one that would have to come from a man who has a love of scientific inquiry and that normal every day readers cannot as well derive the same level of intellectual articulation, is a poor way to advertise our own cognitive challenges.

/my 2 cents.

Far from every education automatically qualifies you for being able to interpretate statistics or prove something in a proper manner. Those who studied formal proofs of different college-level mathemetical theorems, are at least somewhat familiar  with the logical framework needed to actually prove things. 

For instance, I would neither expect a lawyer nor a doctor to be specially good in analyzing the validity of conclusions and claims in a scientific article. 

That said, without any proof, I state that the characterastics of a conversation between educated people, strongly depend on their education and what they actually learnt. There is a big difference between someone who barely learnt enough to pass their exams/get decent grades, and someone who knew the grand majority of their courses, inside and out. 

If we return to the opening post, we can note that the  word "affinity" was used. It is, in my opinion,  a very vague word. If we use the definition "a natural liking or attraction for a person/thing/idea etc." from dictionary.com and focus on the word "natural", one may ask "What does one mean with  'natural' in this context?" However, truly exploring what the initial post actually said, is a matter of semantics, which is I do not expect to be of any interest for the majority of the readers.

Nonetheless, without exploring the actual meaning of the opening post, trying to give a well-founded logical response becomes an excercise in bastardization.

It is therefore more appropiate to simply just type down any response that has at least something to do with one of the many ways, even wrong ones, in which the first opening post could be interpetrated. An observation such as that one angerbeaver gave, is thus, in my view, completely appropiate. He shares his experience through a post which neither attempts to state any generalization nor tries to be of higher intellectual value in any way: it is a very neutral comment.

As a consequence, I think it was right of angerbeaver to lash back at Drachasor's reply; Drachasor was attempting to play a futile game of intellectual incest, whereas angerbeaver was just following the casual true spirit of the thread and forums. 

In short: this is not the place for semantics and actual formal proofs.

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Edit: I'm sure what Drach is getting at is you can't take a survey like this seriously since you can't verify the identities of the people in the survey. There are just as many men taking the survey as women, and the people participating may be using answers based on bias rather than personal experience which, even in the case of the latter, isn't enough to justify a result. So no, it's fun to take part in polls, but it still means nothing.

You can't verify the identities of people in a normal survey.  It isn't about that.  A good statistical analysis of a population requires that you get a RANDOM sample.  In a game like WoW the only way to really do that is either survey people in their homes until you get enough that actually play WoW (very expensive), or have the Devs make an in-game system (which hasn't happened).  Anything else is going to put up a significant access barrier (because yes, going to a website to do a survey is something a lot of people won't do, that and word of mouth will both make a bias in the sample).

If you mean the forum poll, well, you have the same sort of thing.  It's doubly worse if you are asking people about their opinion on others (which sucks with regards to how it represents reality, generally).

Err, I thought most people knew forum polls were silly, so I was largely talking about a poll from a website someone posted (which they claimed revealed combat roles when it only surveys class played so it was a bad survey compiled with a incorrect interpretation).

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

I won't say definitely for or against, I'll only provide my WoW guild as an example.

We have about 40 active members. Of them,10 are female. Of those females, 7 that I know of are healers. Of those, 5 are priests. The other two that come to mind are hunters, and the one whose name I can't remember is an Ele Sham.

What do we take from this? That I shouldn't be able to remember my guild roster this well. =|

Originally posted by InFaVilla

It is therefore more appropiate to simply just type down any response that has at least something to do with one of the many ways, even wrong ones, in which the first opening post could be interpetrated. An observation such as that one angerbeaver gave, is thus, in my view, completely appropiate. He shares his experience through a post which neither attempts to state any generalization nor tries to be of higher intellectual value in any way: it is a very neutral comment.  A a consequence, I think it was right of him to lash back at Drachasor's reply; Drachasor was attempting to play a futile game of intellectual incest, whereas angerbeaver was just following the casual true spirit of the thread and forums.

Yes, why bother educating people on reality when we can pretend that the truth doesn't matter, eh?

I think it is of value to point out that our brains are horrible at figuring out what populations are like as a whole.  Many people do not know it and it is something worth knowing.  Going by experience, gut feeling, etc, etc, will lead people astray here.

Now, your reaction might be "blabeblabeblah, reality doesn't matter let's all be subjective bleepbloop!", but in my view at that point the conversation only has the semblence of actual meaning.  Now, if it was a thread about whether people liked game X or what they liked about it, obviously subjective opinion and what individuals thought would matter a lot.  That ISN'T what this thread is about; it's about what a population is like, therefore it is entirely appropriate to point out that humans suck at figuring that sort of thing out without careful statistics or other good forms of measure.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

I cant agree that girls have a higher affinity to healing.  To sound like a clique: some of the BEST healers I have known are male.  I find women evenly spread out between healers, casters and tanks.  Fewer in melee, but thats my experience. 

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online