Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SO...GamersFirst = K2 networks...discuss

strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Couldnt help but notice this tidbit.  Seeing Knights Online in their lineup was the fist clue, however K2 is stamped everywhere from the bottom of the website to the eula and install process.

For those of us whove been mmorpg whores over the past several years, i cant help but remember following the knights online drama years ago, even to the point where i played it to see if it was all true.  It was actually worse than what was being said.  It became quite obvious that this K2 networks cares little about the players, and just wanted to keep people paying.  Reason i said this was because it was a f2p game, however once the servers got full, it would restrict players, even those who paid for silver access (think they had bronze silver and gold) meaning you could pay for access and not get it.  I figured this was the reason they let bot farmers roll in packs.

The same thing with their other game of that era, the grandido espana or whatever it was game had the same problems.

So it looks like K2 rebranded itself, into this company.  My question is, since i heard APB had rampant cheating its first go at it, does K2's incarnate approach these issues with the same "we could care less" attitude as they did in previous games?

In fact, my origional gripe with this game was the goofy, buggy, and non functional sony station manager type downloader they use...and by non functional, i dont know how large the APB download is, i dont know approx time remaining, i only know what % finished i am...strange for a downloader.

So anyway, anyone with recent GamerFirst experience, fill us in on the company behind the game.

I honestly pity the soul of this game, having K2 networks involved, unless it really is a new company...because no publisher wrecks a game better than K2....

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by strangerdang

Couldnt help but notice this tidbit.  Seeing Knights Online in their lineup was the fist clue, however K2 is stamped everywhere from the bottom of the website to the eula and install process.

For those of us whove been mmorpg whores over the past several years, i cant help but remember following the knights online drama years ago, even to the point where i played it to see if it was all true.  It was actually worse than what was being said.  It became quite obvious that this K2 networks cares little about the players, and just wanted to keep people paying.  Reason i said this was because it was a f2p game, however once the servers got full, it would restrict players, even those who paid for silver access (think they had bronze silver and gold) meaning you could pay for access and not get it.  I figured this was the reason they let bot farmers roll in packs.

The same thing with their other game of that era, the grandido espana or whatever it was game had the same problems.

So it looks like K2 rebranded itself, into this company.  My question is, since i heard APB had rampant cheating its first go at it, does K2's incarnate approach these issues with the same "we could care less" attitude as they did in previous games?

In fact, my origional gripe with this game was the goofy, buggy, and non functional sony station manager type downloader they use...and by non functional, i dont know how large the APB download is, i dont know approx time remaining, i only know what % finished i am...strange for a downloader.

So anyway, anyone with recent GamerFirst experience, fill us in on the company behind the game.

I honestly pity the soul of this game, having K2 networks involved, unless it really is a new company...because no publisher wrecks a game better than K2....

Sorry to hear you got mixed up with the childish KO drama crowd. However, this wasn't some supasekrit conspiracy to hide their name and rebrand themselves. GamersFirst was publicly announced three years ago and the GamersFirst site clearly states it's K2 Networks in the About Us section. Again, sorry to hear you suffered through the KO bunch - it's one of the most infantile communities in online gaming.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by strangerdang

Sorry to hear you got mixed up with the childish KO drama crowd. However, this wasn't some supasekrit conspiracy to hide their name and rebrand themselves. GamersFirst was publicly announced three years ago and the GamersFirst site clearly states it's K2 Networks in the About Us section. Again, sorry to hear you suffered through the KO bunch - it's one of the most infantile communities in online gaming.

Quite the over generalization of my post...dont you think?

I never got cought up in KO, simply played it a week to see if the above mentioned feedback on the game was accurate (hey i did the same thing to AoC and enjoyed the hell out of that game for over a year and a half).

My overlooked point was,  neither about the KO community, nor the apparent assumption that im accusing K2 of being sneaky, was simply that K2 runs all their games in such a manner.  I mean i figured out that GF = K2 in a matter or seconds, nothing sneaky about it.

Now, given the issues APB had on their first attempt regarding hacks and cheaters, and now in the hands of the infamous K2, whos track record on combating such issues speaks for itself, do we really think that this game has a bright future? Perhaps K2 is now a modle gaming community for all i know, i tend to avoid publishers who run games as K2 has run all of theirs.  Id like to know if they have in fact changed, or if we can expect the same manner of maintainence that K2 deliverd on all their mmorpgs.

Really im looking for peoples opinions on this not really the gotcha reply post on my OP that didnt really discuss anything i mentioned...

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

I played KO from the beginning of USKO beta to well into the POS days. It was a great game and I met alot of really cool people  Its a shame is was ran by such a terrible company. I never really had any beefs with the POS itself. I was actually the very first person in USKO to make a POS purchase when the servers came up from that update I was rather sick of the lack of attention they gave to the cheating and the blantantly crooked GM's in the game. Most famously.... Arestide.

IF they cound'nt handle cheating back then, and still cant handle the cheating now, how the hell are they going to keep a level playing field in APB?

Long Live Eternal Knights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3CQC8X7DsI

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

I was in the closed beta until Brink came out, then I quickly jumped to that. Yes, the hacks & exploits are there in full force just like they were in the original version. There were some very minor changes done to the game but a good 95% or more of the game is exactly the same as it was.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by Dorko2k

I was in the closed beta until Brink came out, then I quickly jumped to that. Yes, the hacks & exploits are there in full force just like they were in the original version. There were some very minor changes done to the game but a good 95% or more of the game is exactly the same as it was.

If the ammount of complaining about hackers was say 100% then actual hacking going on is between 1% and 5% IMHO.

I mean seriously you can look in district chat and see a handfull of people calling hacks on practically every other player online..... I mean it is seriously at the point where if someone loses a 1 on 1 gun battle they will call hacks every damn time it happens. Its tiresome in the extreme and most interesting when it is someone on your own team and in your group who is being accused because you can follow them and observe their behaviour both with your character & by watching the map.

The people who are hacking are quite obvious But seriously there are not that many active players who I can honestly say I suspect of hacking at this time there are some freakishly good players & there are quite a few clans who working together always own PUG's and sadly there are the unscrupulous (SP?) handfull of clans who are happy to use vent & have non opposing clanmates ghost for them so they can win.

Are there cheats ? yes but not as many as there are people complaining about cheats. As for the company in question I have no idea the only other gamersfirst game I have played is 9 dragons which was in a word aweful.

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

Originally posted by Dorko2k

If the ammount of complaining about hackers was say 100% then actual hacking going on is between 1% and 5% IMHO.

I mean seriously you can look in district chat and see a handfull of people calling hacks on practically every other player online..... I mean it is seriously at the point where if someone loses a 1 on 1 gun battle they will call hacks every damn time it happens. Its tiresome in the extreme and most interesting when it is someone on your own team and in your group who is being accused because you can follow them and observe their behaviour both with your character & by watching the map.

The people who are hacking are quite obvious But seriously there are not that many active players who I can honestly say I suspect of hacking at this time there are some freakishly good players & there are quite a few clans who working together always own PUG's and sadly there are the unscrupulous (SP?) handfull of clans who are happy to use vent & have non opposing clanmates ghost for them so they can win.

Are there cheats ? yes but not as many as there are people complaining about cheats. As for the company in question I have no idea the only other gamersfirst game I have played is 9 dragons which was in a word aweful.

My point is that while the origional APB might have had actuall cheaters mabey 10% of the time, if K2 is the same as it was, that will skyrocket.

I completely understand the process where narcissistic gamer says "anyone who beats me MUST be cheating for im too good" this is especially true when they dont even understand the game, character, class, or weapon (not all apply to APB) and assume that what you just did had to be cheating.

Now, add the K2 networks infamy to doing nothing (i remember rumors of them banning bots and cheats they werent in on (aka the free ones)) with the fact that unreal engin has a lot of hacks out there...well just expect at some point K2 will cut a deal with one of these hack companies and those using the free or cheap hacks will be banned ect.

The problem for me is when theres no recourse for cheaters, i like to play fair, and it they prove early on that nothing will be done to those who cheat, then a large portion of players will cheat.

Its really my hope that K2 actually manages this game, and not just with community moderation, they are also well known for keeping beta known bugs in game years down the road.

Its upsetting for me, i like this games style, however, i fear with will be another cash shop grab while the game tanks type of game, its how they run ALL their games unfortunately.  It also pisses me off that another game like this (Parabellum) is planned to be a K2 game as well...which is kind of strange IMO.

• KebeckKebeck Member Posts: 323

Played the game for a while now and I'm yet to see any evidence that those hackers/cheaters are actually there.. If you bother reading their blogs, you'll realize that the devs are aware of the cheating issues and says they'll take measure to make sure the game is hacker free.. As I said, haven't seen any cheater so far.. You'll hear about some on the district chat, but I think it's more about a witch hunt than anything else..

I'm having a blast so far.. Too bad if you don't give this game a chance..

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168

Originally posted by Kebeck

Played the game for a while now and I'm yet to see any evidence that those hackers/cheaters are actually there.. If you bother reading their blogs, you'll realize that the devs are aware of the cheating issues and says they'll take measure to make sure the game is hacker free.. As I said, haven't seen any cheater so far.. You'll hear about some on the district chat, but I think it's more about a witch hunt than anything else..

I'm having a blast so far.. Too bad if you don't give this game a chance..

Same here. I've played around 15 hours and haven't seen someone cheating yet, maybe I'm lucky, I don't know...

I'm having a blast too !

Yeah i heard that they were banning some hackers, and observing others.

From APB's forum, i was reading how some hacks are being spotted by PB and others are not.

And from looking thought their own forums ive seen a few complaint threads about "friends" using hacks on their PC and getting all accounts registerd to that PC banned.  So they are doing something.

I heard a LOT of complaints about lag, however i havent really seen much.  There were a few areas that were total warzones, which had some hiccups, but i suspect 75% of the lag complaints are people with low end systems.  The game apparently runs like total crap on a 32 bit OS, im on 64 and have ram to spare and a gaming card, i have no issues.

I still have a strong mistrust with K2, however im seeing more effort on their part than i was expecting.

Oh and funny story is that APB has gold farmers, Dollars is the currency in game, and you have no means to transfer it to other players...so im not sure what that guy is doing spamming his gold farmer site, since he cant give you the gold that you buy (however im sure hes perfectly able to recieve the money if you use it)....gotta be a big scam, but its funny to see. And its just one guy and one site, nothing ignore doesnt fix.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

The problem with the lag is Punk Buster Obviously as it sends Data, and collects information from your computer such as Snapshots & Videos of supposedly only game play but I don't trust Punk Buster as an anti cheat as anyone using Punk Buster could be compromised and stolen personal information just like Sony was, but I usually just type services.msc and disable punk buster when I am not using it because I dont trust it.

On the other hand Punk Buster is feared by most cheaters which is a good thing although The cheaters have forums which they are easily bypassing new patches almost every single day and cheating in APB it is really annoying.

As for Lag, I usually have around lowest 89 -200 latency depending on how many people are in the same district, however when Punk Buster was not enabled way back I got around no more than 60-130 latency which was way better.

So if you have a connection such as DSL Standard, or are not paying at least $50+ a month with a good download/Upload connection of at least 1MB, or 1MBit then you could have issues with Lag because of Punk Buster.

I mean my computer is running 16 gigs and a 6 core on the one I use to play most my games, even a Quad on 8GB can handle APB really well so I doubt that its peoples computers I would say more less Punk Buster and Internet Connection as I get 200-300 at times, and I do get lag spikes myself some very bad although those are rare.

Another issue since Punk Buster was enabled I notice is laggy steering at times quite annoying.

http://pastebin.com/3veG1QSi About the cheats.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

K2?

Well, saves me a download.