Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Titan domination?

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Absolutely.  Start up is difficult.  Without it you don't generate that word of mouth.  But the games still need to keep them.

Venge

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Originally posted by Kalfer

The Blizzard and Warcraft brand is NOTHING compared to LOTR/StarWars/The Matrix... WoWs success was word of mouth, and that is why it became pop culture.

Er, no sorry, that's not how it worked. Star Wars Galaxies when it came out pulled in a massive number on brand name, for the time. But it was a game aimed at MMORPG players. That was a smaller number of people back then. It pulled in people from EverQuest, DAoC, and a few newbies that come along with every new game. But Blizzard, had a VERY relavent name in the GAMING sphere, and WoW was aimed at NON MMORPG gamers. WoW is a casual game aimed at people who didn't play MMOs. And that's the target audience it's always kept. LotRO, when it was in development (then called Middle Earth Online) drew a huge number of people in who were fans of the books, but lost all those fans when they put out a generic WoW clone. Book folks that weren't already gamers thought it was interesting, but the majority of people who were following the game were already gamers to some extent, who were already familiar with WoW, and it was boring, and they left by the thousands in alpha when it changed to LotRO. Also it was developed by Turbine, who does NOT have the marketing budget of Blizzard. WoW got a full year of writeups and previews and banner adds before launch. LotRO got little to none.

It is the marketing muscle and brand name of Blizzard, as well as them aiming their MMO and marketing campaign at non gamers, that got them success. WoW is pretty much the Wiisports of MMORPGs. And the copy cats like the Playstation move, or Rift, or AoC, or LotRO, are doomed not to be as successful.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I have a sneaking suspicion that Titan will be the sobering wakup call the industry needs to realize that not even Blizzard can duplicate the freak success of WoW.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Their brand name only sold half a million copies or so at launch, worse that AOC, war or STO.  Would of mouth about the game being fun and advertising caused the population to rise and it being a good game caused the population to stay high.

Brand name only gives you the start.

Venge

edit - I"m one of those ones that have actually never played any other blizzard game.  I came to WoW a week or so after launch cause of friends.

Er... STO and AoC are NEW MMOs after the genre has been inflated. Their sales numbers mean little, especially when you take into account how badly they flopped post launch. WoW, when it started was largely glossed over by the MMORPG fanbase. But, it had been heavily advertised for about a year prior to launch, and it found its audience with RTS players and FPS players and casuals and people who had never played an MMO. They thought it was great because, almost everyone enjoys their first MMO no matter how unoriginal or flawed it is, and spread the word to other people who had never played MMOs.

Blizzard's name brand is what drew that first crowd of people in, without that, WoW would never have taken off.

It's funny you said that.  IME, the hardcore EQ1 players I knew decided to go WOW rather than EQ2.  And it's my recollection that many hardcore EQ1 players were headed to WOW.

Most players I knew at the time were excited by the massive amount of hype Blizzard's marketing machine was turning out. I lost my guild leader and half the guild to WoW's beta and launch. Then about a month laster, about 90% came back saying it was just the same old same old, pretty much just EverQuest with a lot less features. It's the story I heard everywhere. However, my real life friends who never played DAoC with me, and one in particular who actively hated MMOs started playing and thought it was the best thing ever, because it was so simple and easy. It didn't matter to her that none of the gameplay was unique, she was a Starcraft player and she decided to give it a go. It was all new to her. She'd never actually tried any other MMOs, she just wasn't interested in them until Blizzard started dropping banner ads and popups into Battlenet

Originally posted by Ceridith

I have a sneaking suspicion that Titan will be the sobering wakup call the industry needs to realize that not even Blizzard can duplicate the freak success of WoW.

Of course they can't. Their markets are already tapped. Unless they make a sandbox/core MMORPG and draw in all the original MMO players (probably about 2-3 million players overall) they can't tap the casual market TWICE. Best case scenario, they get about half their WoW players to jump to their new MMO, if they try to make it a casual game. Try to make it hardcore and their fans will stick with WoW and they may get some new fans in Titan.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Nothing lasts forever, everything changes, ignoring that is ignoring history.

It's not as if we haven't seen great game studios rise and get merged or fade away into oblivion time and time again, Sierra Games, Bullfrog, Westwood Studios, the list goes on and on.

It doesn't mean that Activision Blizzard won't be successful in their follow up games especially with the bulk of money and resources they can invest in them, but it's also not a surefire guarantee that Blizzard's next MMO will reach 10-12 million subs, just because it's Blizzard making it.

The future as always is fluid and very unpredictable.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

It will be something to look out for.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Thing is even they aren't trying to copy WoW with Titan.

Originally posted by Xzen

What's the point of making your 2nd MMO like the 1st one if you already have the vast majority that likes WoW-type gameplay?

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

On the other hand if they do get the freakish results or even are able to maintain a population of several million suscribers which is still far and away above almost all the other subscription games.  That will also be a wake up call to other companies to stop their crap and pay attention to who their actual target is and not just imitate another.

Really there is nothing wrong with imitating, but all they are doing is imitating their superficial features without looking at other aspects, like the smoothness, the ease of grouping, the general lack of turn-off features - well turn offs for me anyway.

Venge

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Say what you want, it is very likely that Titan will be the next thing that comes even close to WoW

I'll probably be playing Archeage however

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by MorbidCurio

Blizzard is well aware that while they have had amazing success with WoW they have also created an industry segment that is millions strong and is very quickly growing bored with the current MMO formula.

That's like saying children everywhere are growing bored with coloring books.

Yea, they grow up and stop coloring. But more kids are born.

Someone playing WoW for 5 years is bored with it, but someone born 12 years ago just started playing WoW for the very first time.

They probably aren't bored with it yet.

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Blizzard is well aware that while they have had amazing success with WoW they have also created an industry segment that is millions strong and is very quickly growing bored with the current MMO formula.

Someone playing WoW for 5 years is bored with it, but someone born 12 years ago just started playing WoW for the very first time.

And of course the same situation is true for all MMO's

Venge

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

And of course the same situation is true for all MMO's

Venge

And that's why you have hordes of younger people playing Runes of Magic, Dofus and a horde of other sortlike MMO's as well.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

While I'm exhilerated to hear this and acknowlege that Blizzard is one of the half dozen companies willing and capable of making a fun and new type of mmo (I would have listed Squre in this before FF14, and Sony too, before DCUO released), where is your proof?

If you do have proof, not being sarcastic, I want to see it, but right now all we know is very little. If Blizz has said anything, I'd take it with a grain of sailt as developers have been saying things for years.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Originally posted by Astoran

So I know Blizzards next mmo is likely pretty far off but what effect do you think it will have on the soon to come releases such as GW2 and SWTOR?  Assuming one of these new titles does really well and builds a substantial subscriber base, will Blizzard just snatch them right back with their new release?

I guess what I am asking is do you think a game like GW2 (if it becomes successful) will have enough pull to keep players from leaving? I personally think that Blizzard's influence is simply too strong for these newer games to compete with even if they do end up being very good games, but what does everyone else think?

I'm wondering, as my sig implies, how different can Titan be? Blizzard's main customers will be their wow base but I think by that point even more people will be so burnt on WoW that logging in and seeing WoW in space or post apocalypse WoW will be too much.

The reason people stick so long with WoW and don't venture to the clones or indies or consoles or real life is because you have so much time invested in this character. You have your gold, mounts, pets, achievements,, flightpaths, friends, knowledge.

Quitting an MMO and staying quit is a hard thing to do. WoW's best friend is attatchment and Titan won't have that. I doubt Titan will fail but I think after Warcraft expires (no matter how long after Titan's release that is, a day, a year, or 3) there will be no more mmo king by such a large margin.

Or i'm wrong and Titan will be a revolutionary and amazing experience.

I disagree with the red

part.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4204332#4204332

I made a thread about this before. IMO the reason WoW players come back, is because Developers are afraid to take ideas and concepts that WoW also has. But on the flip side, Blizzard isnt afraid to take ideas and concepts from others.

So there could be a key feature you like, but it was left out of the "WoW Clone" because their developers were afraid it would be too "WoW" like. And Blizzard then steals the main key feature that new MMO had that got everybody so excited. Now once that happens, Why stay in the new MMO, when you can have the key features you had in WoW and the brand new features that new MMO had?

We saw this with Warhammer.

WoTLK vs Warhammer. Warhammer didnt stand a chance after Blizzard stole everything exciting about Warhammer. Once they did that, Warhammer's original features, didnt seem as Original any longer

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Except WoW already exists for those children to play. They're not going to get NEW people interested in a NEW game by selling the same game they already made.

I disagree with the red as well.  There is that situation in all MMO's, vets in EQ, UO, SWG, HZ, CoX, Lineage...  In all MMO's people have a lot of time invested, and yes many do stay however many leave as well.

Venge

While I'm exhilerated to hear this and acknowlege that Blizzard is one of the half dozen companies willing and capable of making a fun and new type of mmo (I would have listed Squre in this before FF14, and Sony too, before DCUO released), where is your proof?

If you do have proof, not being sarcastic, I want to see it, but right now all we know is very little. If Blizz has said anything, I'd take it with a grain of sailt as developers have been saying things for years.

Listen, one thing we can know for sure is that it won't be anything new. Blizzard doesn't do new. Through WoW's entire run its never had a single new idea. It takes other ideas and waters them down for their casual demographic thats making them money, but they don't innovate.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Garvon3

Listen, one thing we can know for sure is that it won't be anything new. Blizzard doesn't do new. Through WoW's entire run its never had a single new idea. It takes other ideas and waters them down for their casual demographic thats making them money, but they don't innovate.

It's kind of a new idea. FireFall just happens to be beating them to the punch for the most part.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I'm wondering, as my sig implies, how different can Titan be? Blizzard's main customers will be their wow base but I think by that point even more people will be so burnt on WoW that logging in and seeing WoW in space or post apocalypse WoW will be too much.

The reason people stick so long with WoW and don't venture to the clones or indies or consoles or real life is because you have so much time invested in this character. You have your gold, mounts, pets, achievements,, flightpaths, friends, knowledge.

Quitting an MMO and staying quit is a hard thing to do. WoW's best friend is attatchment and Titan won't have that. I doubt Titan will fail but I think after Warcraft expires (no matter how long after Titan's release that is, a day, a year, or 3) there will be no more mmo king by such a large margin.

Or i'm wrong and Titan will be a revolutionary and amazing experience.

I disagree with the red part.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4204332#4204332

I made a thread about this before. IMO the reason WoW players come back, is because Developers are afraid to take ideas and concepts that WoW also has. But on the flip side, Blizzard isnt afraid to take ideas and concepts from others.

So there could be a key feature you like, but it was left out of the "WoW Clone" because their developers were afraid it would be too "WoW" like. And Blizzard then steals the main key feature that new MMO had that got everybody so excited. Now once that happens, Why stay in the new MMO, when you can have the key features you had in WoW and the brand new features that new MMO had?

We saw this with Warhammer.

WoTLK vs Warhammer. Warhammer didnt stand a chance after Blizzard stole everything exciting about Warhammer. Once they did that, Warhammer's original features, didnt seem as Original any longer

I...don't know how to respond to this.

WoW clones have been ripping off WoW for years. Nothing is sacred, only difficult to implement based on time or budget constraints.

I'm not saying people copy WoW because WoW thought of things. I'm saying people copy WoW (including ideas that it may well have 'stolen') because it was such a smashing sucess.

WoW was a fun game for a while. One clone I played was really fun at first but I was left with the feeling that I'd rather be playing my paladin and priest that I'd become so attached to rather than playing in the new world.

For me, it's like this. I know I waste too much time an an mmo when I accidentally check /playlog or /played, but the time is already wasted. It's hard to stop playing while I'm still having fun. It's quite easy, for me, not to login to the mmo's I do have on my machine right now, like Champions Online, because I have no attachment and don't want the attachment that will lead, to what I feel like, is wasting my life. (CO is not the "wow clone" from the above paragraph).

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

It's kind of a new idea. FireFall just happens to be beating them to the punch for the most part.

What, an FPS MMO? It's been done by Planetside in 2002, Global Agenda, Firefall soon, the upcoming Tribes MMO, and technically Darkfall.

Except WoW already exists for those children to play. They're not going to get NEW people interested in a NEW game by selling the same game they already made.

yes they are.

Unless there is something better.

Right now, there is nothing better for the solo to the level cap gamer that doesn't want to buy xp potions in a cash shop.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

They'll have to make some pretty big mistakes for it to not absolutely crush.

They've had almost 7 years now pretty much to do whatever they want?  If they were smart, and I'm sure they are, they've been refining their next big hit and are probably just sitting on it until they need it.

I think their hardest thing for them will be to have both games coexist.  If they make the same type of game they'll probably just be relocating users, so I don't think they'll do that.  I figure they're looking to draw in a new crowd.  We'll see though.

I can't get excited until I find out it's not a Facebook game.