Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Return to Hyboria Part 1

Comments

• HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

I have the same collectors edition box that i paid $100 for (I think). That game was such a debacle I will never give Funcon another penny of my cash. Bunch of scammers in my opinion.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

meh boobs just remind me to have to go to the grocery store for milk. not if they had some hot barbarian slave genetalia dangling around as an option that would be fantastic! it's awesome that they made their characters half naked muscular waking up on a beach in the middle of nowhere what a fantasy now if they added some more it would be even better LOL i say don't just cater to the straight male point of view.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Hmm..You really didnt need to use those ugly screens, even if you do run AoC on your laptop you could atleast found some nice places to take your screens..

The Idol and the screenshot on the room doesn't really tell us much about AoC..

And..As for your review, It would have been good to know what you felt was so terrible at launch, because even if you did (alot obviously did) , I never did find it terrible, I found it to be a great game , better than most MMO's  ..

Ohh well

/junker

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I bought the special edition and played from the early start It was a good experience and I was in a great guild but upon reaching 80 (which I didnt particularly rush) there was nothing else to do beside Raiding T1 which locked you out for 7 days upon completion, not even much in the way of crafting. So after about 8 months I called it quits but did not uninstall.

When Ymirs pass came out I returned and rolled an additional alt with my free 50 levels, I played for about 3 months before again getting bored of very little to do outside of raiding T1 and t2. Again I did not uninstall.

When Rise of the godslayer came out I was excited and returned once more, now there was lots to do at lvl 80..... or was there. Actually it turned out there was a dozen things to do over & over again to grind faction points. My T2 and T3 raid gear was now trumped by new Khitai gear which had to be ground from the new 6 mans which really had to be tackled in the harder godslayer mode if you wanted something decent. I lasted about 6 months but please the Grind in Khitai was just terrible & by the end I didnt even care about any of the gear or mounts. I enjoyed T3 raiding but really it was more of the same as T1 and T2 with slighly more complicated boss fights where small mistakes by 1 or 2 people out of 24 could cause a wipe and then a mind numbing repeat battle.... Then the population began its rapid decline about 3-4 months after godslayer came out.

After this last visit I uninstalled which for me is the nail in the coffin for this game which I did love & loved the combat system I just think the devs seriously lost their way somewhere there, Khitai was nothing more than an attempt to hold subscriptions as long as possible while people ground for new gear and special abilities and when you break it down there was actually very little of new substance added to the game. In a word the expansion was "boring"

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Pre-ordered Collector's edition here too. I remember how excited I was when I first logged in. I had that weird smelling map laid out on my desk. Once I realized the world was disconnected zones and you teleported everywhere, I realized the map was useless and put it back in the box with a sinking feeling.

Rolled pvp server, I'm not much of a pvp'er but I like the thrill of danger. However it had degenerated in to spawn camping that turned the mmo into a halo ffa deathmatch map and killed the entire rpg part of mmorpg. Reluctantly re-rolled on a pve server.

Quit after 2 months. Used the 5 free trials they gave me off and on over over the years to check back in, always disappointed.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

;Teala Yes - most of them you can but not all of them. 

End game- the faction grind has been adjusted. I ran through the grasslands and made 200 mark of acclaims in one hour and fifteen mintues. They did listen and adjusted the grind.

MMORPG.com Thanks for revisting this game.  I came back  April of 2010 and have been really happy playing AoC since on Wicanna. 

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Happy 3rd Birthday AoC - revisit well timed!

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

PVPers also might want to note the new hardcore PVP server coming.

With the movie, this game has a chance at a second wind. Funcom just needs to steer it in the right direction, and hopefully learn not to repeat the sorted past.

AoC is the best fantasy MMO out for someone looking for a game that does NOT look like a kids cartoon.

• TiurinnTiurinn Member Posts: 62

I've recently resubbed as well, after having the hugest burn-down ever seen in the world of burn-downs. A two year "break" and the burn-down is reduced to a faint memory. The game has improved incredibly. Sure, many of the things Funcom did to improve the game should have been in from the start, but, it's there now and it's great. Especially the engine-update did wonders. I also play on a 3-year old laptop, I bought especially for Age of Conan's launch at the time. I actually had minus FPS at times. Now I can run the game perfectly, except for larger PvP or PvE where I have to turn off particle effects etc. (it still is a three year old laptop badly taken care for).

Levelling gaps have been filled almost completely, though there's still a small gap in lvl 70-80 if you don't do group-dungeons. Most of the game there's more quests than you can ever need to level. There's also more quests post-Tortage with voice-overs. Most are still text-only, however I've never really found that so terrible. Disappointing a bit, yes, but not a deal-breaker. I mean, most MMO's don't have voice-overs at all!

Also want to say: Age of Conan has a lot of very nicely designed dungeons, both solo and group. Black Castle is pure Indiana Jones. The game's definitely at the top when it comes to PvE.

PvP is still somewhat disappointing though, as I'm simply no fan of minigames/battlegrounds/whateveryouwanttocallthem. The game's combat system does lead to some very interesting PvP-fights, but I absolutely hate the none-stop bunnyhopping and running circles that you need to do if you want to stand a chance in PvP. Breaks the immersion, it looks ridiculous, and well, I suck in it. Haven't done Sieges yet so far.

Most bugs are fixed, though there's still some there that still aren't fixed (Herald of Xotli floating sword to mention one). The game's become very good, but it ain't perfect yet.

Of course, the combat system is simply brilliant and it's really hard to get back to the boring, traditional systems of other MMO's when you're used to AoC's system again. Fatalities keep bringing a smile on my face every time I or a team-mate pull one off.

Not to mention that the game still has the best graphics and music/sound of any MMO currently on the market and will most likely remain at the top in those regards for some time to come.

In short: Age of Conan is currently at the top of the genre, without a doubt. If you set aside your prejudices and forget about the things that were promised once and instead take a neutral look on what's in the game now, you can only be amazed. Only thing that still could use quite some improvement is the PvP, but to be quite fair, that's something that can be said about pretty much every MMO out there.

PS: Funcom should consider a Tortage revamp though, reducing the amount of running there. Reduce the running, and it'll be a lot more enjoyable to having to go there for the 100th time.

Heat, pressure and time. The three things that make a diamond, also make a waffle.
    Also known as Ardanwen.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

"I also have the internet, therefore I have all the access to boobs that I need."

Fixed that for you! Marriage does not automatically give you acces to boobs; quite the opposite in many cases. 

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I was an early access player when AoC came out and after a couple of months i quit due to the bugs ect and it left a bitter taste in my mouth so to speak.

I became one of those people who would say, AoC could've been great but Funcom messed it up ect ect and just played other MMO's without giving AoC another chance.

I recently found myself bored and after reading the updates about the game I thought I would give it another whirl as I did secretly miss the game and I am so glad i did as I am having such a great time playing this game now.

I would say to those of you who were in the same boat as me with this game to give it another try, even if it is the free trial as AoC can still knock the wind out of a lot of other MMO's currently out there atm.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

I played the game casually for 6 months (quit in october last year) and I enjoyed myself tremendously. Its a very nice game. Had no bugs and played it on a new laptop. oh, and yes i swam up som waterfalls :) Didnt mid it, made it ieasier to reach higher ground. 

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• DarkjinxterDarkjinxter Member Posts: 174

Those who 'jacked the game in' after leaving tortage citing things like 'there's no voiceovers anymore' or 'these 20+ zones arent as good as tortage' should not bother revisiting AoC at all. Yes you Phil...Don't bother giving us part 2, we can live without it.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Evile

PVPers also might want to note the new hardcore PVP server coming.

With the movie, this game has a chance at a second wind. Funcom just needs to steer it in the right direction, and hopefully learn not to repeat the sorted past.

AoC is the best fantasy MMO out for someone looking for a game that does NOT look like a kids cartoon.

You know a while back I saw the trailer for the new Conan movie.   I'm sure its just me but if I had to choose between paying to see "that guy" be Conan or playing AoC.. I'd go back to AoC.

Funcom is kind of in an odd place with me.   I always thought Anarchy Online had the best "in game" atmosphere of any MMO I ever played.   Yet at the same time I never could stick with the game.    I always thought Tortage was one of the best starts to an MMO I had ever scene.   That MMO story telling BioWare speaks of and seeing the story from different points of view based on class choice.

If Funcom ever captured the "good" they can do through an entire MMO I think it would be one of the best ever...

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I was there during beta, and I been back once.  I can never go back again.  Funcom,  or failcom as I call them is on the list of studios that I will never try again.   There are several reasons, that have all been covered in many posts before.

I found it funny that he ranked the game 7.0,  I was expecting it to be lower.  Even me with my cynical view of things has to wonder about the game rankings now.  This game never deserved that high of a rating, now or at launch.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

The fact that the game has voice over upto lvl 20 is awesome.. no mmorpg has done that before... for them to have done it for every quest would have been waaaay to expensive and we would never have seen the game released..

as a pve game its the best out there nothing comes close... pvp is good but there are better pvp games out there like Darkfall..

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by erictlewis

I was there during beta, and I been back once.  I can never go back again.  Funcom,  or failcom as I call them is on the list of studios that I will never try again.   There are several reasons, that have all been covered in many posts before.

I found it funny that he ranked the game 7.0,  I was expecting it to be lower.  Even me with my cynical view of things has to wonder about the game rankings now.  This game never deserved that high of a rating, now or at launch.

Oh, please image That's just your bitterness and disappointment talking, not am objective or fair evaluation.

Ah well, you're entitled to your opinion ofc, me, I find it a solid 8+ image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by erictlewis

Oh, please image That's just your bitterness and disappointment talking, not am objective or fair evaluation.

Ah well, you're entitled to your opinion ofc, me, I find it a solid 8+ image

Your optimizim surprise me Mav, but then we know how Funcom can dissapoint, time and time again. Who knows maybe the Bar Room Brawliing will be added or talked about in there new and Hyped TSW. Have a good one Maverick.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Your optimizim surprise me Mav, but then we know how Funcom can dissapoint, time and time again. Who knows maybe the Bar Room Brawliing will be added or talked about in there new and Hyped TSW. Have a good one Maverick.

Well, as my posts regarding AoC show, I had a great time in AoC despite the annoyances of an unstable and bugged launch.

I can understand that other people have had different personal game experiences and therefore dislike AoC - and even more Funcom. But from all the posts and comments I've read, I bet that in the case of many people a large portion of that antipathy and low opinion of AoC is more tied up with their hyped up expectations and the bitter disappointment that came with it that the game wasn't what they'd hoped it to be than that it's a clear, objective evaluation of the game itself.

Tastes and gameplay experiences differ of course, but to me I rate it as good as a LotrO and I found it more enjoyable than Aion.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Wow it's down to just 4 servers? I wonder if my old characters got moved there. I really enjoyed the game there for a while, the beheadings were the best, but the higher level I got the more it become less exciting and more of the same ole same ole.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

Wow it's down to just 4 servers? I wonder if my old characters got moved there. I really enjoyed the game there for a while, the beheadings were the best, but the higher level I got the more it become less exciting and more of the same ole same ole.

My old character had got moved... tho to an RP server so i jsut started again.. really does not take long to get to 80..

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Caldrin

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

My old character had got moved... tho to an RP server so i jsut started again.. really does not take long to get to 80..

Indeed, leveling has been sped up since i originally played and now every character has the +100% XP pots meaning it takes as little as 2 days for someone who plays a lot to a week or 2 for casual players.

I returned a couple of months ago and am still somewhat enjoying the game via the PvE content, although that is starting to wane as i'm more a PvP player at heart and that is lacking these days. With the new server opening soon I'm a bit wary that the other remaining ones will be even emptier and there just won't be enough to fill the new one either.

Mostly its a great game nowadays but the population is a huge issue.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

While the comments I have read here regarding post-tortage do make me wonder how that will be I suppose I will be content waiting for the next installment from the reviewer here . I am having a blast running through Tortage at present and feel myself leaning more & more to subbing-up. Cheers ! :)

• StarchStarch Member Posts: 6

I have a great time playing this game, I had no problems with the community, and little problems in ways technial difficulties.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by Arakane

While the comments I have read here regarding post-tortage do make me wonder how that will be I suppose I will be content waiting for the next installment from the reviewer here . I am having a blast running through Tortage at present and feel myself leaning more & more to subbing-up. Cheers ! :)

If you love Tortage, you are going to *hate* the rest of the game.  Good luck with that though!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.