Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Is there an overall skill cap (ala Ultima)?

TrykenTryken Ultima Online CorrespondentOrlando, FLPosts: 63Member

Hey, I was just wondering, because I saw in a previous thread that there is a skill-specific cap of 100 (GM in Ultima). So is there an overall skill cap (like 700-720 in UO)? I wonder because Darkfall looks like it will be fantastic, but I love the diversity of making a unique build.

Secondly, how long will it take me to get up to speed with others? That's ANOTHER reason I enjoyed Ultima, as within just a few weeks, I was able to enjoy dungeons with my fellow guild members (a few years ago).

Anyway, thank you ahead of time!

Comments

• MadnessRealmMadnessRealm Montreal, QCPosts: 2,716Member Uncommon

All skills and spells will cap at 100, Stats at 100 (+10 from Passives, +10 from buffs so max 120).

There is no skill cap otherwise, meaning that you can pick up all skills and spells and max them out.

------
    Your daily dose of common sense since 2009!

• SignusMSignusM Checkmanistan, MAPosts: 2,225Member

There are specializations that boost certain skills and lock out others. There's also a lot more of those coming.

As of right now, you don't need a bunch of skills, you just need a few specific ones to "compete" with vets.

• AnubisanAnubisan Boulder, COPosts: 1,801Member

There is no overall skill cap, so you will eventually need to grind everything to be truly competitive. The veterans have already done this and will be able to use everything against you. 

The game takes months and months of hard grinding to get competitive and most people don't make it. I'm sure people will argue otherwise on this forum, but that is the truth. Almost no new players remain in the game longer than a few months.

• thinktank001thinktank001 oasisPosts: 2,027Member Uncommon

I think there was a post on the stat grind on the official forums and it stated roughly 4-6 months to max stats if you meditate.   I am not sure if it is possible to meditate skills and stats at the same time, but if it is then I would think 6 months to max all the important skills, and probably 1 or 2 to get PvP viable.

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Anubisan

There is no overall skill cap, so you will eventually need to grind everything to be truly competitive. The veterans have already done this and will be able to use everything against you. 

The game takes months and months of hard grinding to get competitive and most people don't make it. I'm sure people will argue otherwise on this forum, but that is the truth. Almost no new players remain in the game longer than a few months.

Well its so much better than it was not, archery can be maxed in a day or just donig that if you wanted, melee a bit longer..

I guess you could max out a spell school really fast as well, i know i did Earth Magic to 100 in 2 days jsut before they brought in the skill increase in magic so its actually 2 x faster now..

Also now with meditation its easy to get the stats up as long as you put 5k gold into meditation every night you will be ok :)

But yes it will take you a few months to get a character that is really good in group pvp.. dont expect to be able to take on a veteran in that time that would just be silly..