Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something is wrong

WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Yes something is very off kilter. Either it is me or it's you guys. I have been playing rift now since release (was in the betas as well) And although i am not hardcore by no means I log in for a couple or three hours most everyday and my main char is only lvl 32. Everyone is always complaining about how easy this game is and how fast you guys hit lvl cap, no challenge, grinding warfronts, etc. etc.

Like I said im only lvl 32 and everytime I try to do some quests i die like 15 times even before i get to the quest locations. Warfronts give me 0 Xp pretty much. Gaining a lvl now is extremely painful. I am in a great guild we run dungeons and warfronts regularly and I seem to always get very little xp. At this rate it is gonna take me a year to hit 50. What  you people play continuosly for days on end or swap people to play the same char and hit max lvl that way or what? 

I just cant believe how everyone is hitting lvl 50 so fast... So I ask again what is wrong with me. Or what is wrong with you people? I starting to think the problem just might not be me because I'm having a blast with RIFT. Extremely challenging for me and very social game. i'm just not seeing the issues here that everyone is constantly complaining about.

What am I doing wrong?

I want to max lvl like everyone else so I can have fun bitching about the game like everyone else.

Right now I'm just having way to much fun enjoying the journey.

Comments

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Trolling? NO

Being a tad bit sarcastic? MAYBE

Trying to be humourous? ALWAYS

But I'm being perfectly honest.

I just wanna know how I can lvl faster cause right now lvling up for me is a bitch!

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Too subversive for an internet forum. The people who'd need to get the message aren't going to get it, and those who do already know and will only give snarky comments.

You get a + for effort though.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Artean

Originally posted by Wrender What am I doing wrong?

Trolling is wrong. Either that our you're playing with your screen upside down, which probably would bring Rift to normal standard.

My guess is... this is why you don't level your alts to 50 first.   Then your main wouldn't only be level 32.

OP if you are serious I dunno what to say.   I've never hit max level in a "level game" before at least one expansion was released.  In Rift I had 4 characters at 50, every trade skill maxed, every harvest skill maxed and had every recipe I could ever want to have (plaque and faction) in the first 30 days of play...  and some of those days I wasn't even playing and I slept a lot (no all nighters.

I was never in a guild and only ever grouped for rifts and a couple quests people wanted help with.

*edit to add*

Oh and I had quite a journey, explored all the lands.. did all the things I wanted to do.   Personally never bitched about the game other than one change.   Then I quit.

If you enjoy your leveling pace and the game:   good for you.    Posting what is in effect a troll post in a subtle disguise acomplishes what really?  

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Ok I concede, perhaps the problem is me after all. Anyways, thanks Antarious.

And if this looks like a troll post (whatever that is) i apologize./

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

Well i level as slow as you but to say the game is hard is a bit off.

For me there is no point leveling as fast as possible just to get to some boring endgame. Might as well make the journey last and take it easy.

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• DrakkhenDrakkhen Member Posts: 195

I've played casually since headstart, and in that time (2 to 3 hours a day, sometimes 4 on Saturdays) I've leveled:

Reclaimer:

32 Cleric (Defiant), 16 Mage (Defiant)

Kaleida:

50 Mage (Guardian), 32 Rogue (Guardian), 29 Warrior (Guardian), 16 Cleric (Guardian). The mage was almost strictly all Warfronts, the Rogue and Warrior questing / Rifts with a friend (Duo),

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by Antarious

In Rift I had 4 characters at 50, every trade skill maxed, every harvest skill maxed and had every recipe I could ever want to have (plaque and faction) in the first 30 days of play...  and some of those days I wasn't even playing and I slept a lot (no all nighters.

Antarious, 

At first I misread your post and kind of chuckled.  I thought you were trying to say "and I'm a casual gamer!" and the reasoning being "No all nighters AND I slept!".  That then made me wonder if all you did was play rift almost all of those days outside of sleeping and going to the bathroom.  Then I wondered if the new criteria of casual gamer is "No all nighters and not 100% of the days being used to play the game!".  However, I see now that wasn't your point.  And you did, after all, say that everyone has their own pace. =)

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• archisisarchisis Member UncommonPosts: 58

Well I have no idea what  you are doing wrong but I am on my second lvl 50 character with 4 master trades and I am a very slow leveler. I leveled quickly grinding quests and dungeon running with guild and pugs.

Here are some tips that helped me lvl quickly:

1. When I log out, I log out in areas that I can accumlate rested xp.

2. Do all quests in a specific area then turn them in. This minimizes wasting time on traveling.

3. Do not group with players 5+ lvs higher than you. They soak up alot of xp unless you are completing the dungeon quests and dont care about the xp.

Hope this helps a bit.  :)

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I'm still having fun with it....but I only play about twice a week.  I'd be capped out if I played every day.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Your probably just playing a bad solo class.  

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Originally posted by Drakxii

Your probably just playing a bad solo class.  

Yeah, if this is an honest post, you have to be or you're just horribly bad.  I've been playing two weeks, maybe 3 days a week, longer hours on Sunday, and I've got two characters to 22.  My friend has been playing just as long and has a 21, 16, and 22.  My cousin plays a little more than me and started a few days before me has an almost 40 character.  I'm not sure what you're doing wrong but I don't know how you could only be at 32 and playing since launch, if that's the only character you're playing and you play regularly.

• HyperbeamHyperbeam Member Posts: 124

Pretty much the fastest way to level is to pick a, 'pet soul'.  Then you tend to rip through stuff pretty quickly.

But really if you having fun with it who cares how fast you level? Sounds like you have a pretty nice guild as well so good for you :)

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Well considering most my friends who started after me are alrdy 50 i think it is indeed possible to hit max lvl rather quickly.. I myself am 2 n half months in and lv 43.. I figure 2-3 more weeks i should be 50.. Then again i've taken my sweet time to get there, i've spent a good portion of my time exploring Telera, collecting artifacts, solving puzzles, and looking for hidden quests found off the beaten path..

I don't think its about how FAST you lvl, but how much you enjoy the ride to max lvl.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

The only thing I could see to slow down your leveling this bad and dying all the time is not training up your skills or spending your points on new abilities.  I've played all the different main classes and none seem to be that weak, so guessing you must be doing something wrong.  Not 50th level on any of my characters but have a ton of characters so that has slowed down my leveling on any one.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I skipped every instance and only quested at 2-3 hours per day and hit 50 in two weeks. You are doing something severely wrong assuming this is not a blatant troll.

You sure you are playing Rift and not Aion?

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

@OP

You're doing it wrong. Not sure about my time ingame, but I have a champion level 50 since the first month and I levelled up a healing cleric to level 24 in four days. I'm not focusing on levels, just playing normally.

With the cleric I am *STILL IN THE FIRST ZONE*, I played only THRICE in battlegrounds and went only ONCE through the kingdom of fairies instance. I actually enjoyed enormously closing nature rifts and invasions.

Anything is giving you A LOT OF XP in Rift, far too quickly in my opinion because yesterday I even had grey quests in the northern region and I outlevelled battleground quests, so yes something is wrong with you (and the fast-paced levelling curve in Rift altogether).

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by Hyperbeam

Pretty much the fastest way to level is to pick a, 'pet soul'.  Then you tend to rip through stuff pretty quickly.

But really if you having fun with it who cares how fast you level? Sounds like you have a pretty nice guild as well so good for you :)

QFT

I have every archetype level 50 now and with pet classes you seem to level up really fast.  I've tried on my cleric and mage to level up without a pet.  I'm better off jumping off the Sanctum Bridge and hitting land trying to level up that way.  However in parties the non-pet souls are much better.  Basically when I'm solo I'll switch my Role to Beastmaster, Ranger (or assassin for questing), Druid, or Elementalist.  Rogue is the only archetype I've been able to play very good without a pet.

Assassin can be overwhelmed by multiple enemies pretty easy, but you can incapacitate adds before the fight begins, and you can stealth your way in and out of keeps and areas without having to fight through, saving time while questing.  You only have to fight what the quests want you to fight, you can skip all other enemies :)

Elementalist is a better pet class for solo than Necromancer.  Their damage and durability are better.  I can solo level 50 Minor rifts with my Elementalist easy, but with Necromancer I always run out of time during unstable stages.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I just hit 50 on my cleric a few days ago and I'm starting to mess around with a couple alts.  I would say that I play a solid 20 hours a week.  I've done the majority of my leveling through quests.  I've only taken part in about a dozen dungeon runs.  My crafting and gathering skills are not maxed.  I feel that I play a pretty healthy amount.

Now, if someone has four characters, all mex level, max crafting professions, completely geared out... that's actually borderline pathetic.  Doing a little simple math here, if someone is to have four PLUS of what I just got on two months of playtime in half the time..You'd have to multiply my playtime by 4 and then multiply it by 2 again, and you'd still have all the gear and achievements over me.  So that's literally 24 hours a day.  Now granted, perhaps I could be a slower leveler than some others.  However, I don't duel at all, I very rarely enter a warfront, and I don't sit around in town and do nothing but talk to people. 

Regaurdless, I'm still having fun.  It might get a little worse due to working a second shift job, since all the guild events are in the evening while I'm at work.  But all in all, I'm still able to enjoy myself.  If you've maxed out several characters and you're bored, I can only laugh.  Slow down there buddy, you don't have to be the first person, it's not a race.

• Povey151Povey151 Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Naqaj

Too subversive for an internet forum. The people who'd need to get the message aren't going to get it, and those who do already know and will only give snarky comments.

You get a + for effort though.

This guy gets it.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Leveling is extremely easy in Rift.  I belong to a casual guild, no hard-core anything for us really.  Within a month the majority of the guild was 50, I was in my 30s maybe on a few hours of play a week and other guildies didn't have any time to play the first month and were in their teens.  A number of us tried to stretch out the enjoyment of Rift by just getting together and grouping on Friday nights because we saw how bored all the level 50s had become.

Worse yet, alts are a depressing thought because there is one linear path to 50 and nobody has the desire to redo all the sames quests again.

We did start an alternate guild on Defiant and that is providing a bit of fun, but it won't be long until all the content is consumed on that side and folks are 50 and bored again.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Only 3 guys from our group played Rift and stuck with it, they just hit 50 this weekend but they have other characters they play that are also around 40. They are the play a couple hours after work some nights and then a little larger chunk on weekends types of guys. I'd say they pretty much define casual MMO play.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261

We built a group of five people on prelaunch and hit 50 already before the "real release". Leveling is way too fast. As there are no consequences in dieing it is also a quite boring experience.

Anyway, all five of us already quit, so maybe you, OP, you are doing it right with enjoying a slow leveling speeed, and we did it wrong!

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Wrender

I just cant believe how everyone is hitting lvl 50 so fast... So I ask again what is wrong with me. Or what is wrong with you people? I starting to think the problem just might not be me because I'm having a blast with RIFT. Extremely challenging for me and very social game. i'm just not seeing the issues here that everyone is constantly complaining about.

What am I doing wrong?

You are just mocking around too much.

I hit lvl 20 in just 2 days playing roughly 10 hours a day (1 hour per level)

After that it gets a bit slower (because after the first couple of days I play roughly 3-4 hours), but it ain't difficult to hit lvl 50 in less than a month.

If you want a few tips on how to level fast I am willing to help.

1) Avoid doing rifts or invasions.

2) Avoid doing dungeons until you hit 50

2) Do just quests, it's always double XP (Quest reward + Mobs killing XP), it's simple maths.

4) When you do the quests make sure you finish all the quests of the hub before moving to another quest hub.

It will save you lots of time in traveling back and forth.

5) Make sure you follow precisily the super linear quest path that Trion designed for you, do not skip quest hubs (although it is genuinelly too difficult to missed them)

Sounds like fun, isn't it?

Of course is not but that's what everybody does, after all  the game allows this kind of exploitation.

I call it bad design, but then again, Blizzard did the same so it must be right ./sarcasm

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Of course is not but that's what everybody does, after all the game allows this kind of exploitation.

A large part of the problem is the dungeons and rifts are poorly made and very boring as well, so people are going to turn to quests when that happens. The warfronts also don't give enough XP and too many people AFK in them.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Ender4

Of course is not but that's what everybody does, after all the game allows this kind of exploitation.

A large part of the problem is the dungeons and rifts are poorly made and very boring as well, so people are going to turn to quests when that happens. The warfronts also don't give enough XP and too many people AFK in them.

The rifts are pretty pointless, the dungeons are ok, but why people should do those dundeons if doing quests gives you double XP?

In EQ I never ever did a quest, I only leveled doing dungeons or just killing mobs in groups, that's because quests gave far less XP than killing mobs with a group.

And it was fun, lots of banter going on all the time, we didn't even feel like we were grining mobs on the same spot for hours.

In modern MMOs (starting with WoW) the most effiecient way to level is by playing solo and grind quests.

That's a fact.

That's what wrong with modern MMOs, other players are irrelevant, whilst in pre-WoW MMOs the other players were the content..........