Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All-Purpose Funcom Discussion Thread

Comments

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

I really just give them a lot of credit for what they've done and how creative everything looks for TSW. I love how they are making it all come together in a modern setting... hell I love Guild Wars and obviously can't wait for GWdubs BUT I have to say, I feel like TSW will have more of my attention just because of the ideas that have been thrown out already and I cannot wait to see more. Dragon ftW

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

they lost me when AoC released. this game will need to almost literaly blow my socks off or at least have a free trial / open beta to convince me otherwise. AoC was such a bad experience .. far worse than any of the other flops including vanguard if you can believe that.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• jetfacejetface Member Posts: 18

My biggest problem with funcom is the amount of exploiting and bugginess that they allow for so long.  They are so slow to fix stuff that it becomes part of the game.  Then they finally get around to changing stuff and end up wrecking some other, usually unrelated, part of their game.

Then there is their basic attitude of saying or doing whatever it takes to get subscribers.  I understand they need subs but Funcom bows down to the lowest common denominator just to get that monthly fee.

On the upside, they do make beautiful games that are very entertaining if you can overlook the bugs, mass exploits, and sometimes outright hacks that you are bound to run into.  And, given over 3 years from launch, they do eventually start to get things right.  Unfortunately most of the pop is gone by then.

I'd say play TSW for at least a month to experience the game.  Just don't believe a word Funcom tells you.  I mean, they claimed DX10 at launch and it took almost 3 years before they even had DX10 available in game.  Also, get ready for them to milk you for money every chance they get.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by jetface

My biggest problem with funcom is the amount of exploiting and bugginess that they allow for so long.  They are so slow to fix stuff that it becomes part of the game.  Then they finally get around to changing stuff and end up wrecking some other, usually unrelated, part of their game.

Then there is their basic attitude of saying or doing whatever it takes to get subscribers.  I understand they need subs but Funcom bows down to the lowest common denominator just to get that monthly fee.

On the upside, they do make beautiful games that are very entertaining if you can overlook the bugs, mass exploits, and sometimes outright hacks that you are bound to run into.  And, given over 3 years from launch, they do eventually start to get things right.  Unfortunately most of the pop is gone by then.

I'd say play TSW for at least a month to experience the game.  Just don't believe a word Funcom tells you.  I mean, they claimed DX10 at launch and it took almost 3 years before they even had DX10 available in game.  Also, get ready for them to milk you for money every chance they get.

It was about a year not three.

The thing people need to understand, and many do, that engine is already being used.  That alone means a ton of bugs are gone.  That was AOC's downfall as well as its extreme system requirements for 2008.  Its night and day with todays graphics cards compared to then.

Honestly, this is the only MMO I am waiting for unless someone comes out with a shadowbane or swg 2.0.  It looks fun, interesting, and the storyline and setting is what I would like. 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Funcom has 2 MMO's under their belt that both could have been really good(especially AO imo)

but the bugs and/or lack of content were big negatives..

I remember hitting lvl 40ish in AoC and having absolutely nothing to do..so I quit.(this being close to a month after it launched)

will they screw up again with The Secret World?  god I hope not,becuase on paper the game looks awesome.

• jetfacejetface Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by cerebrix

anyone that lump sums a company based on overall performance is a moron. 

Anyone who makes this statement is either a master of irony or a banker.  Its just too perfect of a statement so I'm guessing the former.

And, I agree, never judge a company on their past products.  That is ludicrous.  If they sold you bullshit one day, it could be gold the next.

• DayzonDayzon Member UncommonPosts: 55

All the problems with AoC at launch were known by those who did the beta, so those players knew a S-storm was comming. The premature launch was such a bad, and obvious choice they had to have been pressured into it. To this day Funcom hasn't disscused it publicly. I found it to be kind of telling that with TSW  they initialy stated that they would be self publishing the game to retain complete control of the launch, and only a year away from launch they signed a co-publishing deal with EA. Seems like they felt the burn to me, and are handling TSW more wisely.

• SilvareaSilvarea Member Posts: 72

Until they can fix the game engine in AoC, then it is not fixed for TSW, no way.. still havn't fixed AO for that matter...

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

With the Funcom haters, i've heard them called conspirators, liars, cheats, criminals...why dont you throw in child molesters while you're at it?

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by jetface

anyone that lump sums a company based on overall performance is a moron. 

Anyone who makes this statement is either a master of irony or a banker.  Its just too perfect of a statement so I'm guessing the former.

And, I agree, never judge a company on their past products.  That is ludicrous.  If they sold you bullshit one day, it could be gold the next.

Then lets discuss the pressent, their PR around this game has been horid, their newsletter email didnt work, apparently they lost emails of people  signing up.

in 2009 they offered promotions tied to Aoc subscriptions in the form of a decent discount on the subscription plan for aoc and garanteed beta access, they lived to the subcription fee price, they havent lived up to the garanteed beta access.. yet.

Granted they can hide behind the pushback, which gives them some time to actually live upto it, but effectively they are already too late to actually DO live up to it.

Then lets look at how they apparently made a deal with Facebook, 7-8ish months ago they started the sign up for the secret war, this still hasnt started, that and they hardly utilize facebook at al.

While the game definately looks very tempting, it definately does have alot of apeal, there are just too many red flags to invest even futher in the game prior to release. Paying for another garanteed beta offer while they havent lived up to the previous ones doesnt seem like a wise investment.

When the time comes I do expect to end up actually trying the game. Who knows, for now Funcon have to show and proof they are worth trusting in again.

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I'm the rare egg that liked AOC... bugs, sploits, and all (they really nailed the lore).

HOWEVER,
    1) this game IS rushed. They thought AoC would carry them longer , financially.

2) the engine is extremely bug ridden... they have not worked out the limitations. Have no delusions about that...

3) Horrendous update decisions, not to mention bug riddled ones. They spent nearly 1 year revamping the entire RPG system (instead of fixing and pumping out content )

4) there is not a paying sub they will perma ban. The worst of the worst hackers/sploiters got "days" of suspensions.

5) Where is the open beta? So much is just their PR. How close is it to launch again?

On the positive side, its good that they are just focusing on pve. They dont have the resources or skillset to pull off both a pve and pvp game.

This is definately not a pre-order game... ill wait 60 days post-launch.

I do wish them success though, means more options in the market :)
  • Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    It's also a sad commentary that this thread needs to be stickied (and the top placed one at that).

Where are the 3-5 game discussion stickies you typically see before a AAA launches?
  • ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by Twisted77

I'm the rare egg that liked AOC... bugs, sploits, and all (they really nailed the lore).

You mean with the million and one magic users running around? 

All I see is Funcom doing the exact same thing they have done in the past. They are overhyping their game again and only showing a very small part.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

TSW is the future of funcom now riding on the success of this game.

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271

I'd like to thank MMORPG.com for locking my much more discussion based thread on Funcom because this terrible excuse for a thread already exhists.

Again, STOP with the "Horrible bugs", "unfinished", "too many bugs to count", "unplayable".....this game is VERY polished for it still being in beta.  Are there bugs....yes, but I've only ran across a few and everytime I do, Funcom appears to fix them in the next patch.  

Stop the lying and making stuff up....if you were in an open beta weekend, realize that ALOT of the content was locked for you as opposed to closed beta players.  

If you are a PVP junkie...stear clear from Funcom games in general....they put most of their focus in pve and make pvp more of a side thing.  This has been known for years...it's just how they do it.

If you want typical, this isn't where you wanna go.   The game stands out from any other, much like the Funcom MMO's.

Can't wait til Headstart!!!!!

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

The track record says " If it walks like a skunk, Talks like skunk, looks like a skunk, Its gonna smell like a skunk.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

^^^ Don't buy a PC for just one game, especially a Funcom one :)

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

The track record says " If it walks like a skunk, Talks like skunk, looks like a skunk, Its gonna smell like a skunk.

I couldn't agree more.

Everyone says TLJ and Dreamfall, which where made by Ragnar and Funcom, are amazing. Therefore, the track record says that TSW, being based on puzzle adventure elements has well, will be amazing too.

See what i did there? ;)

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

oh boy.

ok listen up.  im going to explain game development to you in a clear and understandable way.  specifically in relation to funcom.

but let me preface that by saying, anyone that lump sums a company based on overall performance is a moron.  games are only as good as their IMMEDIATE development staff.

with that said, funcom has a very good track record.  let me explain why.

any problems funcom has ever experienced with a game, was solely because of one man.  Gaute Godager.

Gaute Godager was solely responsible for anything bad that happened at ao's launch, or shadowlands.  Gaute Godager was solely responsible for anything bad that happened in AOC.

Gaute was forced out.  Left the gaming industry forever over it.

Since then funcom has really tried to put competient people in charge of development as well as finding people to repair the messes left by Gaute.  Craig Morrisson did an amazing job fixing ao, which is why they gave him AOC to fix.  Craig left means in charge of AO and hes done a great job with that as well.  Neither title is perfect but i think some of the problems with the things that Gaute left behind are basically unfixable.  I mean how do you fix a problem as big as shadowlands or the basic design of AOC for that matter.  Theres just only so much you can do ya know?

Now lets talk about TSW for a moment.  This is Ragnar Tornquist's game.  Every single last thing hes ever done for funcom has been a major win for them and something the entire gaming community has liked.  

Everyone loved the storylines, lore, and world he made for Anarchy Online.  Everyone loved The Longest Journey.  Everyone loved Dreamfall. 

Looking solely at the quality of work delivered.  Ragnar really should be considered among game designers like David Perry, Raph Koster, Yu Suzuki, or James Phinney IMO.  

Iv'e said this a million times and honestly im kind of tired of gamers not paying attention.  Based solely on the work produced, AT THE VERY LEAST, Ragnar has earned, the benefit of the doubt until launch.

Yes ,there is people who like funcoms next-gen cash shops and dumbed down themepark stuff but theres also other side of this coin as well.

Gaute didnt like that stuff and he left , funcom didnt listen to him,they wanted themepark aoc and Gaute had bigger plans for it.

Let's internet

Originally posted by ForumPvP

oh boy.

ok listen up.  im going to explain game development to you in a clear and understandable way.  specifically in relation to funcom.

but let me preface that by saying, anyone that lump sums a company based on overall performance is a moron.  games are only as good as their IMMEDIATE development staff.

any problems funcom has ever experienced with a game, was solely because of one man.  Gaute Godager.

Gaute Godager was solely responsible for anything bad that happened at ao's launch, or shadowlands.  Gaute Godager was solely responsible for anything bad that happened in AOC.

Since then funcom has really tried to put competient people in charge of development as well as finding people to repair the messes left by Gaute.  Craig Morrisson did an amazing job fixing ao, which is why they gave him AOC to fix.  Craig left means in charge of AO and hes done a great job with that as well.  Neither title is perfect but i think some of the problems with the things that Gaute left behind are basically unfixable.  I mean how do you fix a problem as big as shadowlands or the basic design of AOC for that matter.  Theres just only so much you can do ya know?

Now lets talk about TSW for a moment.  This is Ragnar Tornquist's game.  Every single last thing hes ever done for funcom has been a major win for them and something the entire gaming community has liked.  

Everyone loved the storylines, lore, and world he made for Anarchy Online.  Everyone loved The Longest Journey.  Everyone loved Dreamfall. 

Looking solely at the quality of work delivered.  Ragnar really should be considered among game designers like David Perry, Raph Koster, Yu Suzuki, or James Phinney IMO.  

Iv'e said this a million times and honestly im kind of tired of gamers not paying attention.  Based solely on the work produced, AT THE VERY LEAST, Ragnar has earned, the benefit of the doubt until launch.

Yes ,there is people who like funcoms next-gen cash shops and dumbed down themepark stuff but theres also other side of this coin as well.

Gaute didnt like that stuff and he left , funcom didnt listen to him,they wanted themepark aoc and Gaute had bigger plans for it.

Dumbed down???  You obviously haven't played a Funcom game....ever...it's never dumbed down...typically Funcom is known for raising difficulty levels well beyond other MMO's and also for very intricate character progression.   The cash shop currently in AoC is nothing more than a boutique that nobody really needs.  The same will hold true for TSW. 

Why the hell does this thread get a sticky....trolls are everywhere in this thread....

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by chaod1984

oh boy.

Dumbed down???  You obviously haven't played a Funcom game....ever...it's never dumbed down...typically Funcom is known for raising difficulty levels well beyond other MMO's and also for very intricate character progression.   The cash shop currently in AoC is nothing more than a boutique that nobody really needs.  The same will hold true for TSW. 

Why the hell does this thread get a sticky....trolls are everywhere in this thread....

To you it is hardcore role playing,i understand that and i forgive you,but  to many others its just the opposite.

like character leveling items,daily quest with easy super rewards,super powers for soloing everything,easy wearable end-game gear because of god powers,low droprate items dropping like candys,pay to win cash shop selling credits, etc etc etc too many to list

To you its raising difficulty ,to me its dumbing down.

Let's internet

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

To you it is hardcore role playing,i understand that and i forgive you,but  to many others its just the opposite.

like character leveling items,daily quest with easy super rewards,super powers for soloing everything,easy wearable end-game gear because of god powers,low droprate items dropping like candys,pay to win cash shop selling credits, etc etc etc too many to list

Are you talking about AoC? If so, come back after trying tier 3 OR tier 4 raiding. It's one of the most hardcore and difficult thing in an MMO at the moment.

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

Are you talking about AoC? If so, come back after trying tier 3 OR tier 4 raiding. It's one of the most hardcore and difficult thing in an MMO at the moment.

Thank you Blackbrrd.

Everyone else - if you haven't played it, you can't comment on it....it's that easy.  Tier 3 and 4 raiding in AOC makes any other raid in any other MMO seem like singing "I love you" with Barney

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Thanks Amana. I'll start it off:

Will they screw up again?

IMO That depends on your point of view; customer or investor.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• weezlyweezly Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by chaod1984
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd

Thank you Blackbrrd.

Everyone else - if you haven't played it, you can't comment on it....it's that easy.  Tier 3 and 4 raiding in AOC makes any other raid in any other MMO seem like singing "I love you" with Barney

Wouldn't know, NA servers loosing verteran AA users so fast no one even attempts T4 content T3 might get run once a month and people usually give up after a dozen wipes or so.  But give us another 4 years maybe we'll keep this next batch of f2p users  long enough to have the AA's to attempt it...