Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Universe Online = FTP

VictorvonVictorvon Member UncommonPosts: 8

I haven't heard much about this game lately but a new article on mmofallout talks about it being free to play from launch.

http://mmofallout.com/2011/04/29/marvel-universe-will-be-free-to-play/

Comments

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Works for me.. I used to be 100% anti F2P mmo.. I still do not currently play one as a main game.  I like to beta test them and might mess around on a new one for a few days..  But I really am liking f2p lately.. Always heavily populated and since I have extra money usually I can choose to "pimp my toon" one month, then not spend the next month.   

But I dont know.. still havent found that f2p that I cant stop playing and make my main..  Still mostly a mmo subscriber..

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

My major concern with Marvel Universe is that the game will force you to play as a Marvel Character, meaning minimal character customization at best, and players won't even have the option to create their own hero.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by Omali
    My major concern with Marvel Universe is that the game will force you to play as a Marvel Character, meaning minimal character customization at best, and players won't even have the option to create their own hero.

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

This news enrages and saddens me if it's true. Where did you find this out?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

Ya I read the same thing. Not playing this for sure. The major draw to super hero MMO's for me is the creation of the character. Who the hell want's to play as someone else's imagination?

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by remyburke

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

Ya I read the same thing. Not playing this for sure. The major draw to super hero MMO's for me is the creation of the character. Who the hell want's to play as someone else's imagination?

Not to mention the fact that EVERYBODY is going to be Deadpool.

They might as well call this game Deadpool Online. Now that's a game I would play!

EDIT: I found the source http://mmofallout.com/2011/04/30/marvel-universe-no-customized-characters-ever/
    This is ridiculous.

• MysticBeastMysticBeast Member UncommonPosts: 46

Yes you will have a chance to play as one of the Marvels Super Heroes, Spiderman, Captain America and others but you will also have the option to create your own character!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

They might as well call this game Deadpool Online. Now that's a game I would play!

You misspelled Wolverine, unless somehow you think Deadpool is a more popular character than Wolverine

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by warmaster670

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

You misspelled Wolverine, unless somehow you think Deadpool is a more popular character than Wolverine

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

Xero wins this thread

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

No individual characters? What are they thinking?!? That's gotta be the most idiotic, ball-brained, cockamaime, ludicrous, insane, moronic, knucke-headed, and outright ridiculous thing I've ever heard! What kind of idiot made that decision?!? So we'll have 1000 Spider-men running around?

I... I just.... Picard, I need some help here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

It's different from the typical MMORPG formula?

I will immediately judge it as terrible and decide not to buy it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go create a thread about the unacceptable lack of innovation in the MMORPG genre!

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MysticBeastMysticBeast Member UncommonPosts: 46

As i said the developers said that they will give you a choice to either create your own character or use one of Marvel Heroes!!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Axehilt

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go create a thread about the unacceptable lack of innovation in the MMORPG genre!

If they decide to eliminate the main draw for the majority of MMORPG players: The ability to create an alter-ego and increase their power over time, the game will burn to the ground before it ever gets off of it. To create an MMO, you need 3 major things:

1. The ability to CREATE a character of some kind.

2. A world for that character to live in.

3. Things for that character to do and interact with.

So, 15 morons without an ounce of imagination recreated their favorite superhero in a comicbook-themed MMO which prompted the Devs of MUO to say, "Hey, there's a real market for this!"  There is a big difference between innovation and de-evolution.

Even if they want to add the ability to make your own character, they shouldn't bother unless the creation options are AT LEAST as robust as CO and CoX.

Joined - July 2004

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

If they decide to eliminate the main draw for the majority of MMORPG players: The ability to create an alter-ego and increase their power over time, the game will burn to the ground before it ever gets off of it. To create an MMO, you need 3 major things:

So, 15 morons without an ounce of imagination recreated their favorite superhero in a comicbook-themed MMO which prompted the Devs of MUO to say, "Hey, there's a real market for this!"  There is a big difference between innovation and de-evolution.

Even if they want to add the ability to make your own character, they shouldn't bother unless the creation options are AT LEAST as robust as CO and CoX.

Who knows? It is a F2P game. There is no reason not to check it out. May be it is a good game. People play SP games all the time with preset characters. Even in many action RPG games like Diablo (you can name ur char though).

Heck, i played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 and it was a pretty good game. May be this is the online version of that.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I'm fine with them not allowing customizable characters- it really depends more on the number of available characters to choose from (I'd say less than fifteen would be very disappointing) and how powerful the characters are in relation to one another- I mean if you want common superheroes such as Spiderman, Wolverine, and Deadpool you're certainly not going to be able to include characters such as Silver Surfer and Thanos.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by warmaster670

SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

Deadpool is THE man! dispite what those assholes at Marvel let that hack writer do to him in that horrible Wolverine movie!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

This is why the continued calls for "innovation" ring hollow - because even the slightest hint of anything deviating from the norm will be torn apart sight-unseen.

Perhaps they are not going strictly for the "it has to be UO/EQ1 or it sucks" MMO market.  That's probably a smart idea, and better for their ulcers.  Given all the single-player superhero games (some with multiplayer capabilities), perhaps there IS a market for a game that isn't a standard MMO with a superhero skin on it (like CoX, CO, and DCUO).

It's hard to say, because we know almost nothing about the game - how characters will progress, how the world will be structured, game mechanics, etc.  Nothing.  Perhaps they have something very different in mind.  Maybe this design brings about many possibilities other games don't have.

I'm willing to wait and see.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Personally the fact it is F2P will most likely be the factor that gets me to try it. CO was terrible in beta and I never bothered with the full game. DCUO looked like fail to me from the get go.

At this point the reputation of super hero MMO's is not particularly good so going F2P was IMHO a wise choice.

Hell if they can somehow find a similar formula to APB: Reloaded for Good vs Evil characters I will definitely be giving it a good shot.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Rohn

This is why the continued calls for "innovation" ring hollow - because even the slightest hint of anything deviating from the norm will be torn apart sight-unseen.

Perhaps they are not going strictly for the "it has to be UO/EQ1 or it sucks" MMO market.  That's probably a smart idea, and better for their ulcers.  Given all the single-player superhero games (some with multiplayer capabilities), perhaps there IS a market for a game that isn't a standard MMO with a superhero skin on it (like CoX, CO, and DCUO).

It's hard to say, because we know almost nothing about the game - how characters will progress, how the world will be structured, game mechanics, etc.  Nothing.  Perhaps they have something very different in mind.  Maybe this design brings about many possibilities other games don't have.

I'm willing to wait and see.

Precisely, they may not even be shooting for the standard MMORPG type game. It's entirely possible they may itemize like CoH where items only augment your powers instead of the look, or that it may be more like League of Legends where there are a number of characters to choose from and more can be earned or purchased. Players that are willing to dismiss games on very scanty information will never be satisfied. particularly with it already being advertised as F2P dismissing it at this point is just silly.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by pierth

I'm fine with them not allowing customizable characters- it really depends more on the number of available characters to choose from (I'd say less than fifteen would be very disappointing) and how powerful the characters are in relation to one another- I mean if you want common superheroes such as Spiderman, Wolverine, and Deadpool you're certainly not going to be able to include characters such as Silver Surfer and Thanos.

15 would be easy to hit. I think even Marvel Ultimate Alliance has more than that.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by pierth

15 would be easy to hit. I think even Marvel Ultimate Alliance has more than that.

They did say that this game would start out with more heroes available than any other Marvel game to date.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.