Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideal Fight Time for a Solo PVE Fight against 1 Enemy!

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

So yah!! how long do you think it should take??  Please feel free to post your opinions and stuff if you think x is too long or x is too short.

Also if you wish to put different times depending on how the combat is handled (turn based, action, semi turn based, etc) please feel free to do so.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Depends on the game, and it's pacing /combat system. If it's an aciton game like tera where you take on large packs of enemies at once, than not very long.

But ideally... I would like to fight less enemies that take longer to kill. Just as I would like to do less quest that where more epic in scale. I hate killing thousands of mobs easily, I want to take time and  on less mobs that are more challenging, but thats just me.

edit: I put 45-60s for that reason,BUT considering how run of the mill mmo's are, they should probably be around 5-15 seconds.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

If it is a action oriented MMO, I thyink 5-10s tops, but the combat is more tactical, than probably 20-25s including setup, like traps and casting time, but this will probably be more squad based combat, and probably includes and squad based enemy, like 3-4 stormtroopers in one single unit.

but unless the enemy is a boss or a choke point event, I wouldn't recommend combat time longer than 25sec, it, for me, sometimes throws off the dynamics and delay movement and progression.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

Totally depends on the game.  Personally I would rather fight a fraction of the mobs but have them be more challenging (thinking) opponents.  Instead we usually endup roleplaying a fantasy version of Bruce Lee as he mows through hundreds of strawmen...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,881

In action MMO or MMO with fps mechanics the ideal time could be just a few seconds. In MMO where more strategy is involved the fights should last long enough that it's possible for something suprising to happen.

• M00nk3yM00nk3y Member CommonPosts: 18

Too few mobs and the world seems empty.... hmmm. good question!

I think 5 - 10 seconds for a normal mob longer of  course for harder mobs or mini bosses or what have you.

Related news: Francis-7 Demands Obama show his Lifejewel or report to Carousel.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Abstain.

The "ideal" time varies based on the specifics of a game's mechanics and the flow of its combat.

I think I might quite enjoy a MMORPG where combat is fought as 40-120 second Fighting Game matches.  But I also enjoy the ~10 sec combat that a lot of solo enemies take nowadays.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

First I thought the poll was a joke because I was thinking I could vote for 5 minutes or something?

I'm not exaggerating. It did took me more than 10 minutes to kite a creature in EverQuest but then again you had the option to group which made the game feel more alive because I had to group with others to speed things up. But to be honest, I had more fun kiting a creature for 5 minutes than the 5-seconds battle we find in the second generation MMORPGs.

But it all depends on the direction of the MMORPG. I tend to prefer slower combat but each monster gives more XP. In other words I'd rather fight 1 monster for 5 minutes than fighting 50 monsters for 10 seconds each for the same XP. The first one is exciting and fresh while the second example gets boring fast (50 freaking monsters in 5 minutes, it gets really boring and repeteative and too fast to even use any tactical approach to the encounter).

The longer it takes the more strategic/tactical it will be and I prefer that over "click 4 buttons --> monster's dead" game play.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

I voted 20-30secs However lately I have  wished for a good true turn based(think ff1) game. the slower pace and direct control over a small party appeals to me.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Originally posted by Kenze

I voted 20-30secs However lately I have  wished for a good true turn based(think ff1) game. the slower pace and direct control over a small party appeals to me.

FFXIV kind of has this

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Wow after seeing everyones replies I shouldve said "Against 1 normal enemy"  Not a miniboss  or an enemy meant for teams...

Im kind of surprised to see 5-10 seconds leading the pack tbh.   I remember when I played wow, the combat time for one same level enemy there was roughly 10-15 seconds maybe reaching more with other classes. 

Now as for the "longer it takes, the more strategic it is" I think it would be better to seperate length of time to strategy.  I remember playing Ragnarok Online and it takes a while to kill stuff but its autoattack and involves little-no strategy whatsoever. 

And I did ask you guys to give your input if you felt like it by posting more specifics o.o 

I personally prefer a slightly faster paced combat but still have the per enemy fight time to be around 15-20 seconds.  The only times I want it faster is when the combat is so boring that I just want to get it over with. 

Edit:

Kenze theres Atlantica Online if you want turn based.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I think it just depends on the game and what you're trying to accomplish. If you're just grinding mobs for xp the faster the better but I hope for some level of difficulty. Now for bosses I would want it to take at least 15-20 minutes depending on the situation that could be more. Epic bosses I'm for it taking even over an hour depending on how long it takes to reach that boss. My fav game being FFXI I am used to bosses that can take hours to play. I think Pandemonium Warden broke records for people fighting it for over 18 hours before giving up (now it despawns after 2 hours no matter what).For a boss to take that long is rediculous though and I'm not for any one boss to take over an hour to beat and only if that is a majorly epic boss. Now if it's a major dungeon raid with a few bosses along the way and one at the end I think 3-4 hours is fine. Obviously this wouldn't be something you do everyday so having events that take that long is ok every once and while.

• lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

Either mass slaughter aoe based pve similar to Diablo 2 (<5 sec), or 1v1 epic fights where a single mob drops quite a bit of loot (1-3min).

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by sudo

Originally posted by Kenze

FFXIV kind of has this

if you change secs to mins

that might be right :P jksjks

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Endo13Endo13 Member Posts: 187

The problem with longer fights is that usually the only reason they are longer is because each hit from your character does a lower % of hp damage to the enemy - which just makes your character seem wimpy. (This is also a big reason why I won't be trying SWTOR - I just can't stomach wimpy jedi with wimpy lightsabers.) I'd like longer fights, but because the enemy fights smarter, not because of more hps.