Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MMORPG] The Repopulation - another sandbox?

TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

I was playing around searching for some weird Sandbox MMO

then i came across this

http://www.therepopulation.com/

my 1st thought that it would be another old looking graphic MMO because of some unknown developer,

but then when i read the info and look at the screenshot, holy, it's actually pretty decent if it ever makes it

what you guys think of this MMO?

So What Now?

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Interesting. Though I have little faith in small developers nowadays, here's hoping they prove me wrong. Looks nice.

Joined - July 2004

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

Looks alright, reminds me of Earthrise. Everything is pretty much in the air, just have to wait and see.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Also, this pdf outlines their history from 2007 until 2011 ( current built )

https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dcz6gm54_24dhwt4xgp

hopefully they will make it out, it is pretty decent

So What Now?

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

http://mmorpgmaker.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=10699

Also developer discussions here.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

They've described the combat a bit and it sounds super boring.  I was not enticed at all while reading about that portion of the gameplay.

Then again I'm over RPG combat entirely.

Originally posted by Cavadus

They've described the combat a bit and it sounds super boring.  I was not enticed at all while reading about that portion of the gameplay.

Time to get the lastest Call of Duty or something then.

• joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

Thanks for your interest.  If you have any qustions I would be happy to answer them on this thread or on the website.   I am one of the developers on the project.

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Or not play MMOs with combat systems built for 1998's finest hardware.  I will never play another tab-to-target MMO.  It might have been fun back in 2001 when I was in high school but I've come to expect a lot more from modern MMOs than EQ's lame ass combat system.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

Combat in the Repopulation is similar to the standard MMO fare, but that has more to do with strategy than it does performance. While it is true that RPG calculations are a lot cheaper than projectiles, and a bit cheaper than simple cone of fire faking, the primary reason that most MMOGs stick with a the action bar style combat is due to options. During the development of the Repopulation we explored the idea of action based games, and we designed a states based system that split the options at any given time into manageable segments to simplify things.

I love FPS games. But those games aren't built for long hour, every day players. In order to go to an action oriented system you have to greatly simplify the things you can do, in order to make it manageable to a player. That causes its own form of repetitive play, but adds a sore thumb and the need to completely focus at all times, which is more of a problem for players with kids. If you take a look at the more recent action-oriented RPGs, such as Tabula Rasa or Hellgate: London, their mechanics were fun. But then they became very repetitive. Players burnt out quicker, and played shorter stints. That doesn't mean that action oriented combat can't be successful, by any stretch. But it is to say that there is a tradeoff whichever way you go in MMO combat.

That having been said, combat in Repop does have a few additional wrinkles outside of the standard fare. Some key differences:

- We are attempting to give the feel of hectic combat, with a strategic pace. While the controls are similar to other titles, we're attempting to feel more exciting.

- Standing, Crouching, Prone positions give some different options strategically for ranged combat.

- Energy Shields absorb damage at the cost of energy (from an energy tank). They are also more effective vs. ranged weapons, rather than physical damage.

- As positive events occur players (and npcs) gain Momentum, when negative things occur they lose it. There is a wide assortment of powerful abilities that require Momentum. There are also ways to demoralize your opponents.

- Uses an advanced states system where players and npcs can be in certain states and other abilities are more effective against certain states, or can alter your states. For example, it's easier to knock a player down if they are Off Balance, and shredding attacks will be more effective against players who are already bleeding. There are over 80 different states, and there are both helpful and detrimental ways to alter the states of others. We hope this provides opportunities for players to work together to make their attacks more effective.

- Attacks are positional (Head, Body, Arms, Legs), and can cause some long-term effects related to that position. Head shots for example are generally less accurate, but have the ability to cause dizziness and do more damage. Leg shots could injure or break your opponents legs, causing movement penalties until they are set in place.

- Each weapon type has its own combat style, and the abilities for it are based on that particular skill. For example: Sniper Rifles are best for long ranged sniping, Rifles for mid-range scatter damage, and Axes for short-range PbAE. By mastering more skill lines you don't necesarily go up in raw power, but you do gain additional options and combat styles.

- Entirely skills based, with each skill line having its own subset of abilities and it's own tiers within it.

- You can take cover behind objects to gain defensive advantages. There are varying degrees of effectiveness.

Tabula Rasa had the greatest MMO combat I've ever experienced.  Correlation does not imply causation.  TR failed because everything which was built around it's combat system was a huge fail.

The combat system of TR was it's only saving grace.

Anyways, GL with the game.  I'm not questioning your decision for your combat system so don't feel the need to defend it.  I, personally, just have no interest in a game that features the combat style you're proposing.

/shrug

Edit: And don't get me wrong, the rest of the game sounds very interesting but if I can't derive pleasure and/or satisfaction from something as simple as firing a gun the rest of the game just doesn't have a chance.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by JC-Smith

Combat in the Repopulation is similar to the standard MMO fare, but that has more to do with strategy than it does performance. While it is true that RPG calculations are a lot cheaper than projectiles, and a bit cheaper than simple cone of fire faking, the primary reason that most MMOGs stick with a the action bar style combat is due to options. During the development of the Repopulation we explored the idea of action based games, and we designed a states based system that split the options at any given time into manageable segments to simplify things.

I love FPS games. But those games aren't built for long hour, every day players. In order to go to an action oriented system you have to greatly simplify the things you can do, in order to make it manageable to a player. That causes its own form of repetitive play, but adds a sore thumb and the need to completely focus at all times, which is more of a problem for players with kids. If you take a look at the more recent action-oriented RPGs, such as Tabula Rasa or Hellgate: London, their mechanics were fun. But then they became very repetitive. Players burnt out quicker, and played shorter stints. That doesn't mean that action oriented combat can't be successful, by any stretch. But it is to say that there is a tradeoff whichever way you go in MMO combat.

That having been said, combat in Repop does have a few additional wrinkles outside of the standard fare. Some key differences:

- We are attempting to give the feel of hectic combat, with a strategic pace. While the controls are similar to other titles, we're attempting to feel more exciting.

- Standing, Crouching, Prone positions give some different options strategically for ranged combat.

- Energy Shields absorb damage at the cost of energy (from an energy tank). They are also more effective vs. ranged weapons, rather than physical damage.

- As positive events occur players (and npcs) gain Momentum, when negative things occur they lose it. There is a wide assortment of powerful abilities that require Momentum. There are also ways to demoralize your opponents.

- Uses an advanced states system where players and npcs can be in certain states and other abilities are more effective against certain states, or can alter your states. For example, it's easier to knock a player down if they are Off Balance, and shredding attacks will be more effective against players who are already bleeding. There are over 80 different states, and there are both helpful and detrimental ways to alter the states of others. We hope this provides opportunities for players to work together to make their attacks more effective.

- Attacks are positional (Head, Body, Arms, Legs), and can cause some long-term effects related to that position. Head shots for example are generally less accurate, but have the ability to cause dizziness and do more damage. Leg shots could injure or break your opponents legs, causing movement penalties until they are set in place.

- Each weapon type has its own combat style, and the abilities for it are based on that particular skill. For example: Sniper Rifles are best for long ranged sniping, Rifles for mid-range scatter damage, and Axes for short-range PbAE. By mastering more skill lines you don't necesarily go up in raw power, but you do gain additional options and combat styles.

- Entirely skills based, with each skill line having its own subset of abilities and it's own tiers within it.

- You can take cover behind objects to gain defensive advantages. There are varying degrees of effectiveness.

Thanks for the info, it sounds like a really interesting game. My only suggestion is to make sure its polished upon release. I know I am just a guy on the internet and that my suggestion is easier said than done, but there is overwhealming evidence that in almost all circumstances, a game has 1 shot and thats the 1st impression. It always makes me sad when independent developers spend so much time working on something but it has population issues because of a rocky release even when the game plays great a few months later.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

Tabula Rasa had the greatest MMO combat I've ever experienced.  Correlation does not imply causation.  TR failed because everything which was built around it's combat system was a huge fail.

Anyways, GL with the game.  I'm not questioning your decision for your combat system so don't feel the need to defend it.  I, personally, just have no interest in a game that features the combat style you're proposing.

/shrug

Edit: And don't get me wrong, the rest of the game sounds very interesting but if I can't derive pleasure and/or satisfaction from something as simple as firing a gun the rest of the game just doesn't have a chance.

Time to get the latest Call of Duty or some other good FPS.

FPS games are great fun. They are not MMORPGs.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

you can always have a good balance of combat styles.

as said before the auto-target, tab-target-switch kind of combat is really getting old.

bioware games are kinda doing a good mix of action and rpg.

ofcourse only talking about combat system here, last bioware game completely failed in every other aspect.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by TweFoju

I was playing around searching for some weird Sandbox MMO

then i came across this

http://www.therepopulation.com/

my 1st thought that it would be another old looking graphic MMO because of some unknown developer,

but then when i read the info and look at the screenshot, holy, it's actually pretty decent if it ever makes it

what you guys think of this MMO?

The developers have been at it for a few years now and it seems like they are taking the approach of building their game and  features before trying to sell people on their game and features - a refreshingly unique approach and a road rarely taken by indie and small MMO teams. From the recent monthly updates on their site, it looks like they are really hitting the grindstone on the core features lately.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

If you are looking for heavy twitch style combat (which I know a lot of people are looking for, ala a real FPS MMO) than unfortunately we probably aren't going to be the MMO for you.  There is a large market there for sure and I am surprised someone hasn't done it yet, and done it right.  I am pretty sure it has a lot to do with the processing and bandwidth required to do low latency updates at a fairly rapid pace that keeps people from trying.  With hardware being as cheap as it is I am sure someone will give it a go eventually though.  

As far as polish and release, a lot of that has to factor into $$$ as to why a lot of releases go south.  We are hoping to do a more staged release so we don't have a random number of players just showing up to try out the game, destroying the intiial zones due to population issues, and then leaving (with a bad taste in their mouth).  Most releases don't have this luxery as they have some kind of financial backer wanting to recoupe their investment 60 days ago and they end up rushing the release and then rushing to open the doors to everyone before they have appropriate capacity and even done proper testing.  We definately want the project to be popular and get as many people on playing as possible, but you want happy and paying customers, not disgruntled customers trashing you all over the Internet.

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

/shrug

Time to get the latest Call of Duty or some other good FPS.

FPS games are great fun. They are not MMORPGs.

I don't really play FPSs anymore.  Closest I get are the Mass Effects, Fallouts, Global Agenda, and the twitchier MMOs like Fallen Earth and Earthrise.

Anyways, looks like it's time for you to wrap your head around the fact that MMOs don't need to use classical RPG combat systems and that many people find that type of combat coma-inducing. 

Because pushing 1114171451212 is so cool, amirite!?!!?!

Anyways, I'm done dereailing the thread.  All the best for The Repopulation team.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

As Cavadus, I got burnt out on MMOs sometime ago also. Pretty much burnt out on everything, waiting for Skyrim, playing Oblivion again and developing in the meantime :). All of the feedback here is greatly appreciated, let us know what your think can be done to improve mmo's in general and help us make an even more unique experience.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Or not play MMOs with combat systems built for 1998's finest hardware.  I will never play another tab-to-target MMO.  It might have been fun back in 2001 when I was in high school but I've come to expect a lot more from modern MMOs than EQ's lame ass combat system.

Not everyone like FPS, twitch style combat you know. Some of us are old and cant keep up with you young guys :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

/shrug

I agree. Combat was good in TR, everything else sucked.