Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The business model of failure

13»

Comments

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Originally posted by Kamandi777

Growing and withering in the shadow of WoW may be a profitable short term wealth generator.

You hit the nail right in the head with this comment.  This is why we will never see good games.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Originally posted by Kamandi777

Growing and withering in the shadow of WoW may be a profitable short term wealth generator.

You hit the nail right in the head with this comment.  This is why we will never see good games.

Never is a long, long time... Not to mention that "good game" is highly subjective.  I've played many "good games" over the years.  WoW for all its faults(which are legion...) is a "good game", all the way to level cap. Then its mainly raiding and/or PvP(neither of which really appeal to me).  It all depends on what one defines as a "good game". 

But you are quite correct in one regard. I suspect that no game will ever be able to live up to everyones projections, expectations and imaginations.  That is what I call the One True Game(tm) syndrome.  I've stopped chasing that illusion/delusion myself. All I'm looking for these days is a well polished game, that I enjoy.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

Sandbox vs Themepark again? It seems to me that all of the "best" games by that definition is entirely subjective. I hate doing quests, I enjoy PvP, occasional crafting/gathering, and working with others...that leaves me with a much lower amount of games. Publishing games that fit my "likes" doesn't mean that it's in the minority. Is EvE a minority game? It doesn't seem like one to me...but maybe I'm wrong.

I tried LOTRO, and after about 2 days fo casual play, I was close to having a nervous breakdown from all the gold rings. Beautiful landscape, interesting story, etc..but it doesn't appeal to me. Is LOTRO a bad game? I don't think so, but it wasn't for me. If you compare endgame content, I think this is the largest difference in Themepark vs Sandbox. Once you get to lvl 80? in WoW, you are doing raiding/pvp right? EvE's endgame is politics, large scale fleet battles...that result in TANGIBLE change to the world map, all being enforced by EvE's mechanics. DF is no different.

If you reach top level with a toon in a themepark, you are limited..I had several max toons in CoH, and the only way I could get interested again was to restart a new toon. I have two high level toons in EvE, and if I have to travel to safe areas, I'm one bad scouting report from getting killed/losing all my stuff. I am thinking about how the other alliances are faring in their wars and how it will affect my alliances hold on the territory that we control. I am trying to recruit new people in that aren't spies. I could go on and on.

Or I could play LOTRO and look for another brass ring..to tell me to go to another brass ring. Endgame content is a large defining moment for MMO's b/c it's the long term players that you want to keep. If there is nothing to do, or limited endgame content..do you restart? Do you switch to another game? I've been playing EvE since 2006 and I haven't done everything I want to do yet, and that's in 5 years of playing. I saw enough in 2 days in LOTRO to know that after another 4-5 months, it was all PvE raiding with new shiny gear.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general