Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Tera VS GuildWars 2

ElloaElloa WaterlooPosts: 3Member

Hello Everyone,

 

I wonder what do you think about those 2 future game. i've not got teh chance to get a beta key, so I'm just exploring the net searching for all information i can for those game.

I'd like to find a home in the MMO world, to replace World of Warcraft (my susbscription end in september), and both game attract me very much. I'm also playing Rift that I enjoy and Minecraft, so I'll have to make a choice.

Guild Wars seem more RolePlay oriented, while Tera is probably more oriented arround fight and combat. Both game seem beautiful and attractive in their own way.

 

What do you think? Where it would be possible to reinstall a community ?

«13456

Comments

  • Calind0rCalind0r Sydney, NSPosts: 735Member

    TERA sucks.

     

    It has the best combat of any MMO ever. But its a bit too slow paced and dumbed down for 'keyboard turners' if you will.

    Aside from the combat it's an incredibly boring and generic copy of every other MMO. Your first few weeks will be nothing more than doing kill 6 mob quests, and running instances that are primarily elite mobs that take a long time to kill, which mitigates the epic feeling and thrill of having action based combat. The instances are also incredibly easy, and theres like 0% chance to wipe.

    End game is also an instanced themepark, so there don't expect any type of political system or oopen world PvP to work.

  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo LondonPosts: 3,221Member

    OP: You mean GW2 not GW as per title... this is one of the best summaries of info for GW2:

    Everything We Know about GW2

    If that's not enough:

    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

    And more links in Summary provided. There's a lot of info (more at the wiki) there so maybe start with the gw2-website and/or some video links and then read up from there.

    No idea about Tera, can't help.

  • L337ishL337ish Atlanta, GAPosts: 4Member

    I think Guild Wars 2 is going to change the MMO scene at least for a little while. They seem to have no desire to make money with the project, only to blow people's minds. So far the creativity I've seen in both GW and GW2 is impressive and somehow refreshingly original.

    Since Guild Wars 2 is free, and has some of the best graphics around, along with an amazing development team, I am very excited to see what they have in store for us. If you haven't already watched the videos of skills and professions they have on the GW2 website I would head over there and watch, some of them are really cool.

  • UnlightUnlight Ottawa, ONPosts: 2,540Member

    Originally posted by L337ish

    I think Guild Wars 2 is going to change the MMO scene at least for a little while. They seem to have no desire to make money with the project, only to blow people's minds. So far the creativity I've seen in both GW and GW2 is impressive and somehow refreshingly original.

    Since Guild Wars 2 is free, and has some of the best graphics around, along with an amazing development team, I am very excited to see what they have in store for us. If you haven't already watched the videos of skills and professions they have on the GW2 website I would head over there and watch, some of them are really cool.

    Just to clarify, you need to purchase the game, but there are no monthly subscriptions fees.  Once you buy the game, you won't be required to spend another dollar on it for unlimited play.  There will be an item shop that's expected to have mainly cosmetic and account items in it.  All optional stuff that you won't need to progress through the game with everyone else.

    I know very little about Tera so I can't compare the two games.

  • killamjlkillamjl Metairie, LAPosts: 26Member



    Originally posted by Calind0r
    TERA sucks.
     
     


    I agree

    Sadly Im a fan of Tera and will be playing it, but the direction it is headed in is an unfinished release, bad end game, and weak combat system(with good intentions)

    The staff at EnMasse have the potential to turn it around and keep it from blowing up like Aion did, but I doubt they will be givin that much control and time from BlueHole.

    In fact i think the 2011-2012 year is gonna be another failure, maybe GuildWars2 will come out ahead, we will see.

  • stayontargetstayontarget Tacoma, WAPosts: 6,068Member Uncommon

    I'm sure they will both do just fine but will cater to different types of players.  At least both of these 2 games are trying to break away from the norm and that in itself will be a big plus.

    Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

  • Master10KMaster10K LondonPosts: 3,065Member

    I really think the OP should change the title to something like "Guild Wars 2 or Tera, which should I get?" It's just very misleading. Now as for my answer I'd have to go with Guild Wars 2, since it beats Tera in almost every major area....

     

    Questing in Tera follows the same old go there, kill x amount of y, collect z, return for your reward. The good thing about this is that it's not just another Asian-grindfest, however it doesn't stop the questing from being a boring grind, like in any other themepark MMO. Questing in Guild Wars 2, on the other hand, is following Arenanet's "less grind, more role playing philosophy". By doing away with open world questing all together and replacing it optional "non-linear" events that anyone can be a part of.

    Combat in Tera is pretty revolutionary for a Fantasy MMORPG, since you have aim where you want to attack, for every attack and it takes into account:: range, velocity, collision detection, body blocking, etc. There's a lot more to Tera's combat that that, such as dodges & combo skills but what I consider a problem is that it still falls back on the tried and true trinity formula (more Tank & Spank). Whereas Guild Wars 2 takes a huge steaming dump on the holy trinity and says "we can do better" and I believe they can. I'm just tired of waiting for healers and being stuck in an inflexible role, even when things aren't working out, during an encounter. It also looks fun, fast-paced and easy to learn; yet difficult to master. 

    There's a bunch of other reasons why Guild Wars 2 would be a better purchase like: WvWvW PvP, activities, music score, in-depth character customization and of course no monthly fees. Feel free to look up the rest.

    image

  • OnarixOnarix Oakville, ONPosts: 84Member

    Originally posted by Elloa

    Hello Everyone,

     

    I wonder what do you think about those 2 future game. i've not got teh chance to get a beta key, so I'm just exploring the net searching for all information i can for those game.

    I'd like to find a home in the MMO world, to replace World of Warcraft (my susbscription end in september), and both game attract me very much. I'm also playing Rift that I enjoy and Minecraft, so I'll have to make a choice.

    Guild Wars seem more RolePlay oriented, while Tera is probably more oriented arround fight and combat. Both game seem beautiful and attractive in their own way.

     

    What do you think? Where it would be possible to reinstall a community ?

    TERA seems to be a game with not alot of info availible at the moment about it. Sure they may have added a few videos on it and some dungeon gameplay but theres not enough info to base a guess on which game would succeed more then the other. Just my 2 cents.

    Free to play means pay to win.

  • Master10KMaster10K LondonPosts: 3,065Member

    Originally posted by Onarix

     

    TERA seems to be a game with not alot of info availible at the moment about it. Sure they may have added a few videos on it and some dungeon gameplay but theres not enough info to base a guess on which game would succeed more then the other. Just my 2 cents.

    There's actually quite a bit of info on Tera if you know where to look for it. The game is already out in Korea and you can even find vids of english speaking players giving their impressions & commentaries on the game on youtube & justin.tv. I personally got a lot of my info from some of the old TWIMMO vids on GBTV.

    image

  • darkichi72darkichi72 Houston, TXPosts: 6Member

    I would say Guild Wars 2.

  • MorbidCurioMorbidCurio Singer Island, FLPosts: 127Member

    Alright. Are you sure you want my honest opinion? It's going to generate a lot of nerdrage in the thread. So if you're prone to raging about GW 2 I would suggest you not even bother reading this. It's a inuitive, experienced eye closely examining GW 2 under a microscope. Call it opinion if you want, but these are actually educated, grounded conclusions that anyone who is looking should come to.

     

     

     

    GW 2 - Looks promising, but ANet is pulling a massive trick on everybody. It's not nearly as cool as any of you think it is. The combat system is actually more like the norm than you would believe. Almost everything I have seen of the game so far indicates that it's basically just GW 1 with upgraded graphics and a slightly upgrade system of combat. Let's take a close look at it, shall we?

     

    Ok, let's start with the 'dodge' mechanic that everybody goes to right off the bat.

    It's useless and isn't nearly what most of you probably think it is. If you think that the dodge mechanic is a simple tool to perhaps cover a little bit of ground that is to be used sparingly, then that's what it is.

    If you think it's a super amazing mechanic that allows you to carefully and precicely dodge any attack, you're wrong. I have seen the game played IN PERSON AT A PUBLIC EVENT. I have also watched every single video available on youtube and carefully examined them. Nothing I am about to talk about is under NDA; it's public record.

    Ok, now that that's out the way I can say this: The 'dodge' roll in GW 2 does not prevent you from taking damage AND it consumes a fair amount of energy. There is no weapon arc collision detection in the game. Instead, everything is basically a small area attack. There are plenty of videos out there where you see the focus of the camera rolling around all over the place, but still taking plenty of damage.

    The roll is mostly to put a little distance between you and your target. What is nothing more than an escape ability in any other game has somehow become a 'unique mechanic' in GW 2. This is not the case. Plenty of other games have already done this and some even do it better from what I've seen.

    In GW 2 you still have a hot bar. You still spam buttons. Hell, from what I've seen you actually seem to end up spamming one button most of the time. The hot bar is set up exactly like GW 1, so anyone familiar with that game should know what I'm talking about. You end up spamming one ability the majority of the time (sound familiar? it should)

    As far as the quests go - How is what they're describing any different than what GW 1 currently offers? I, for one, got really sick of all the running around. To the point that I didn't want to make any alts.

     

    TL:DR

    GW 2 is shaping up to be mostly a rehash of GW  with things that ANet probably wanted to do with their first game. The most significant ADDITION I have seen is more of an open world. Nothing else has jumped out at me as being all that different from GW 1. If you don't want to take my word for it then, please, go to youtube and very carefully watch the videos.

     

    TERA

    Since Tera is released, there is no NDA to worry about here. Though this info is all based off of the Korean live client. Take it as you will.

    So far - The combat is amazing....that's about it.

    Someone else summed up it's problems nicely. The dungeons are really easy and kinda boring. Leveling is remarkably short, which is good all things considered. And the PvP system is completely trashed at the moment. It needs a pretty fair amount of work, but if they can fix these issues it should be a pretty interesting game. We'll have to wait and see.

  • protomunkprotomunk Orlando, FLPosts: 30Member
    Originally posted by MorbidCurio

    Alright. Are you sure you want my honest opinion? It's going to generate a lot of nerdrage in the thread. So if you're prone to raging about GW 2 I would suggest you not even bother reading this. It's a inuitive, experienced eye closely examining GW 2 under a microscope. Call it opinion if you want, but these are actually educated, grounded conclusions that anyone who is looking should come to.
     
     
     
    GW 2 - Looks promising, but ANet is pulling a massive trick on everybody. It's not nearly as cool as any of you think it is. The combat system is actually more like the norm than you would believe. Almost everything I have seen of the game so far indicates that it's basically just GW 1 with upgraded graphics and a slightly upgrade system of combat. Let's take a close look at it, shall we?
     
    Ok, let's start with the 'dodge' mechanic that everybody goes to right off the bat.
    It's useless and isn't nearly what most of you probably think it is. If you think that the dodge mechanic is a simple tool to perhaps cover a little bit of ground that is to be used sparingly, then that's what it is.
    If you think it's a super amazing mechanic that allows you to carefully and precicely dodge any attack, you're wrong. I have seen the game played IN PERSON AT A PUBLIC EVENT. I have also watched every single video available on youtube and carefully examined them. Nothing I am about to talk about is under NDA; it's public record.
    Ok, now that that's out the way I can say this: The 'dodge' roll in GW 2 does not prevent you from taking damage AND it consumes a fair amount of energy. There is no weapon arc collision detection in the game. Instead, everything is basically a small area attack. There are plenty of videos out there where you see the focus of the camera rolling around all over the place, but still taking plenty of damage.
    The roll is mostly to put a little distance between you and your target. What is nothing more than an escape ability in any other game has somehow become a 'unique mechanic' in GW 2. This is not the case. Plenty of other games have already done this and some even do it better from what I've seen.
    In GW 2 you still have a hot bar. You still spam buttons. Hell, from what I've seen you actually seem to end up spamming one button most of the time. The hot bar is set up exactly like GW 1, so anyone familiar with that game should know what I'm talking about. You end up spamming one ability the majority of the time (sound familiar? it should)
    As far as the quests go - How is what they're describing any different than what GW 1 currently offers? I, for one, got really sick of all the running around. To the point that I didn't want to make any alts.
     
    TL:DR
    GW 2 is shaping up to be mostly a rehash of GW  with things that ANet probably wanted to do with their first game. The most significant ADDITION I have seen is more of an open world. Nothing else has jumped out at me as being all that different from GW 1. If you don't want to take my word for it then, please, go to youtube and very carefully watch the videos.
     
    TERA
    Since Tera is released, there is no NDA to worry about here. Though this info is all based off of the Korean live client. Take it as you will.
    So far - The combat is amazing....that's about it.
    Someone else summed up it's problems nicely. The dungeons are really easy and kinda boring. Leveling is remarkably short, which is good all things considered. And the PvP system is completely trashed at the moment. It needs a pretty fair amount of work, but if they can fix these issues it should be a pretty interesting game. We'll have to wait and see.

     


    One thing you forgot is that guildwars has always put a large focus on pvp which is something that has been missing from most mmos. They separate pvp and pve and try to make the game as enjoyable as possible in both. There isn't any hard info on gw2 pvp at the moment so you can't really judge it that department. Tera, however, will have a very weak endgame and not much pvp.
  • TyrxzTyrxz BergenPosts: 329Member

    Peer pressure! Guild wars 2 then. :D

    scribble scribble scribble


  • Originally posted by protomunk

    Originally posted by MorbidCurio

    Alright. Are you sure you want my honest opinion? It's going to generate a lot of nerdrage in the thread. So if you're prone to raging about GW 2 I would suggest you not even bother reading this. It's a inuitive, experienced eye closely examining GW 2 under a microscope. Call it opinion if you want, but these are actually educated, grounded conclusions that anyone who is looking should come to.

     

     

     

    GW 2 - Looks promising, but ANet is pulling a massive trick on everybody. It's not nearly as cool as any of you think it is. The combat system is actually more like the norm than you would believe. Almost everything I have seen of the game so far indicates that it's basically just GW 1 with upgraded graphics and a slightly upgrade system of combat. Let's take a close look at it, shall we?

     

    Ok, let's start with the 'dodge' mechanic that everybody goes to right off the bat.

    It's useless and isn't nearly what most of you probably think it is. If you think that the dodge mechanic is a simple tool to perhaps cover a little bit of ground that is to be used sparingly, then that's what it is.

    If you think it's a super amazing mechanic that allows you to carefully and precicely dodge any attack, you're wrong. I have seen the game played IN PERSON AT A PUBLIC EVENT. I have also watched every single video available on youtube and carefully examined them. Nothing I am about to talk about is under NDA; it's public record.

    Ok, now that that's out the way I can say this: The 'dodge' roll in GW 2 does not prevent you from taking damage AND it consumes a fair amount of energy. There is no weapon arc collision detection in the game. Instead, everything is basically a small area attack. There are plenty of videos out there where you see the focus of the camera rolling around all over the place, but still taking plenty of damage.

    The roll is mostly to put a little distance between you and your target. What is nothing more than an escape ability in any other game has somehow become a 'unique mechanic' in GW 2. This is not the case. Plenty of other games have already done this and some even do it better from what I've seen.

    In GW 2 you still have a hot bar. You still spam buttons. Hell, from what I've seen you actually seem to end up spamming one button most of the time. The hot bar is set up exactly like GW 1, so anyone familiar with that game should know what I'm talking about. You end up spamming one ability the majority of the time (sound familiar? it should)

    As far as the quests go - How is what they're describing any different than what GW 1 currently offers? I, for one, got really sick of all the running around. To the point that I didn't want to make any alts.

     

    TL:DR

    GW 2 is shaping up to be mostly a rehash of GW  with things that ANet probably wanted to do with their first game. The most significant ADDITION I have seen is more of an open world. Nothing else has jumped out at me as being all that different from GW 1. If you don't want to take my word for it then, please, go to youtube and very carefully watch the videos.

     

    TERA

    Since Tera is released, there is no NDA to worry about here. Though this info is all based off of the Korean live client. Take it as you will.

    So far - The combat is amazing....that's about it.

    Someone else summed up it's problems nicely. The dungeons are really easy and kinda boring. Leveling is remarkably short, which is good all things considered. And the PvP system is completely trashed at the moment. It needs a pretty fair amount of work, but if they can fix these issues it should be a pretty interesting game. We'll have to wait and see.

     

    One thing you forgot is that guildwars has always put a large focus on pvp which is something that has been missing from most mmos. They separate pvp and pve and try to make the game as enjoyable as possible in both. There isn't any hard info on gw2 pvp at the moment so you can't really judge it that department. Tera, however, will have a very weak endgame and not much pvp.

    While I agree that the quest system does seem lacking in creativity, I am still going to call shenanigans on Protomonk's blatant lie.

    The TERA  Devs have stated before that once the game goes live here in NA it will synchronize content patches/updates with its Korean counterpart. (Unfortunately I cannot remember where I saw this, so to anyone thinking of demanding proof, I likely will not respond)

    Furthermore, when the game does eventually go live in NA, it is expected to have significantly more content. All of which is explained in the following link:

    http://www.terafans.com/topic/8803-k-tera-press-conference-demon-beast-of-destruction/?s=3bb2b07fb7d96798aea8e48948beaef0

    Lastly, as explained in the Link provided, PvP will be a pretty huge part of the game.

    On a personal note, these are the two games I am most excited to play ATM, and will in all likelyhood pick up both. I have very much enjoyed everything I have seen from TERA (been a tester since first FGT) and look forward to seeing some more in depth play from GW2 (although I must admit that I do share MorbidCurio's sentiments so far, in that the combat may be missleading.....although I sincerely hope it is not, since combat is the most important facet of any MMO for me in the long run)

  • JakdstripperJakdstripper logan lake, BCPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

    Personaly i have played Tera and i can't really see how they will be able to compete with GW2. the only thing Tera has it's the amazing graphics, eveything else is pretty much like every Korean mmo (Aion, Lineage, etc). Tera it's just too asian anime to really cater to a high number of westerners. in my short experience it was pretty much like playing a different kind of Aion with better graphics, more enviromental details, and less clothing :P. on top of the art style it will have a sub fee which GW2 doesnt have. this is a no brainer, a grand majority of people will not play something with a sub fee.

    sure the targetless combat is fun, but it doesn't feel very fluid and after a wile it's more fun to watch someone else play the game instead of fighting with the combat animations "rooting" your caracter every time you use a skill.

     

    i just dont see how it will compete as long as GW2 isn't complete garbage (which i don't think it will be considering the original GW). i was hoping Tera would launch 6 months prior to GW2 so people would try it wile waiting for GW2, but they are taking their sweet time.

  • BunkafishBunkafish Toronto, ONPosts: 57Member

    From what i've seen if you like open pvp play TERA if you like instanced pvp play GW2. I personally don't really see that much difference between gw and gw2 other than obvious comparisons. I never liked GW1 so maybe i'm biased. 

     

    I'm interested in TERA for two reasons. 

    1) it has FFA open pvp, every themepark mmo since WoW has been faction vs faction. It's boring and not exciting at all, FFA pvp harbors importance in Guilds, and it ensures hostility between guilds/players. 

    - downsize to this? I haven't looked much into their penalty system, but my first mmo was lineage 2 and the penalty system in that game was way to harsh. All it did was encourage players to run away from any fight at all costs. Mind you lineage 2 had to this day the best pvp mechanic (castle sieges). 

     

    2) It has "action" combat which looks really cool in videos and on paper. I haven't tried it yet so it's to be determined, I can see problems especially when it comes to peoples latency etc. 

     

    Anyways I won't bother going into the pro's and cons about GW2 since certain people on this site are blatent fans. But as I said before I didn't liked GW1 at all so I won't even bother with GW2. 

    - I'd suggest trying GW1 to get a better idea of what GW2 will most likely be like. 

    For me personally i'll wait for Diablo 3 instead of playing GW2, and my next mmo will most likely be TERA unless Archage has a sooner release date. 

  • helthroshelthros Miami, FLPosts: 1,449Member

    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

    Personaly i have played Tera and i can't really see how they will be able to compete with GW2. the only thing Tera has it's the amazing graphics, eveything else is pretty much like every Korean mmo (Aion, Lineage, etc). Tera it's just too asian anime to really cater to a high number of westerners. in my short experience it was pretty much like playing a different kind of Aion with better graphics, more enviromental details, and less clothing :P. on top of the art style it will have a sub fee which GW2 doesnt have. this is a no brainer, a grand majority of people will not play something with a sub fee.

    sure the targetless combat is fun, but it doesn't feel very fluid and after a wile it's more fun to watch someone else play the game instead of fighting with the combat animations "rooting" your caracter every time you use a skill.

     

    i just dont see how it will compete as long as GW2 isn't complete garbage (which i don't think it will be considering the original GW). i was hoping Tera would launch 6 months prior to GW2 so people would try it wile waiting for GW2, but they are taking their sweet time.

    Only amazing graphics? You mean the completely different and active combat isn't different? People don't like Asian games? A grand majority of people will not play something with a sub fee? How long have you been playing MMOs?

     

    I think it's hilarious how you make so many horribly incorrect over generalizations.

     

    PS people talking about TERA in its Korean form. It gets westernized... That's kind of part of the process of taking so long to release in NA. Just keep that in mind...

  • CookieTimeCookieTime SomewherePosts: 353Member

    @MorbidCurio

    I could actually read through your post until I got to the part where you said, that the quest system is the same as in GW1.. and it's here where I call BS on your entire post, since it shows you have no clue what you're talking about. Ofcourse people will nerdrage, if you give such misleading information to people who would like to know the truth, while representing yourself as a "experienced" and "educated" poster. The irony..

     

    But there's one part where I agree with you..

    "If you don't want to take my word for it then, please, go to youtube and very carefully watch the videos."

    Yes OP, please do..

    Eat me!

  • RequiamerRequiamer ???Posts: 2,034Member

    I think you will find better pvp in GW honestly, it definitly aim to be more balanced than in Tera for sure.

    I think you might like Tera if you really are a Lineage 2 fan (oriental art style + pvp based on level style), but apart from that i think GW is superior. Also i don't want to be negative, but its pretty clear Tera is a grind fest similar to Aion, maybe i'm wrong who knows image

  • stayontargetstayontarget Tacoma, WAPosts: 6,068Member Uncommon

    So far I am not too impressed by GW2's gameplay or the graphics (just to bland).  But there is time to improve it so who knows.  The one big hit against GW2 (at least for me) is that I hated GW.

    Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

  • FastTxFastTx PTBO, ONPosts: 756Member

    I don't get the Aion hate in this thread. It's the 3rd most played MMO currently next to only WoW and Rift. Aion didn't blow up, it met it's developers expectations. I don't play Aion but I hate seeing people discredit themselves by saying that. 

  • mesmerisemesmerise AberdeenPosts: 198Member Uncommon

    I will be trying GW2.  I am enjoying GW right now and I look forward to experiencing the world in an open, less instanced, format set 250 years after the previous installment.  I think that the thief is my favourite class so far but I am really hoping that the mesmer makes a return! 

     

    Tera has beautiful looking environments but that is the end of my interest in the game.

    image
  • bill4747bill4747 Lynn, MAPosts: 202Member

    My best guess:

     

    Tera will have decent combat, and nice graphics, particularly the scantily clad females.

    Guildwars 2 will probably be a more complete rock solid game with more things to do out of the box.

     

     

     

    I plan to play Tera just for the half naked females, and Guild Wars 2 for the overall game experience.

  • ZandurasZanduras Kanata, ONPosts: 1Member

    Bet bet is to just play both IMO, at least the 2 games are going to be fairly different from eachother. And with Star Wars (which I will try as well) coming out next year as well its finally looking to be some fun times next year between the 3.

  • xKingdomxxKingdomx SydneyPosts: 1,541Member

    Even though I am almost pro-GW2 at this stage, I have to say, after E3, I am intrigued by its political system, the idea that you can either compete in the social ladder to earn favor amoung one city, or battle through raids or PvP to gain favor by force, once you become a 'leader' or a city, you can alter the cost and taxes of that particular city. If the system is as good as I think right now, TERA has a slight chance to compete with GW2.

    How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

«13456
Sign In or Register to comment.