Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

last good first-person fantasy RPG that's not Elder Scrolls or M&M or a mmorpg?

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Lately I've been enjoying Divinity 2 ego draconis. I also got another Divinity 2 game with it Divinity 2 Flame of vengeance or some such thing. haven't gotten to that one yet.

It's not on par with morrowind or oblviion but there are a lot of nice little details that are woven into it.

I have my criticisms but it does have something that morrowind or oblivion doesn't seem to have and that is some choice.

so the starter quests are some of  the same "do me a favor because I'm too lazy to do it" quests. However, some of them do offer some choice in how you finish them.

For instance, you save an area from an unscrupulous fighter of a powerful order. In the same area there is a woman who asks you to deliver a letter to the blacksmith in the town. You can read the letter or not. if you read the letter you find out she is having an affair with the blacksmith and wants to leave her husband.

You can call her out to her husband, confront her, deliever the letter to the blacksmith, deliver the letter to the blacksmith and confront him etc.

Slightly different outcomes. The one I chose was to read the letter and mention it to the blacksmith. He then got pissed and raised his prices. He also ran off to find his girl. Next time I came back he was in a greater mood and lowered his prices. If I confronted him about he would have permanently raised his prices, etc.

Or some soldiers at a local tavern. Chase them out and you get lower prices from the tavern keeper. Take their side and they will help you with a fight later on.

Other nice little details such as going into the church and there is a priest high on a pulpit preaching. If you try to have conversations with the few people there they hush you and tell you they are listening. However, if you climb the pulpit where the priest is you will notice a mug of ale behind the pulpit and out of sight from the parish.

It's little details such as those that really show off the fact that the developers were paying attention. Nice touches such as obscure references such as two characters named Stan and Ollie. Not many people would get that one.

Again it doesn't quite have that free flow play that morrowind or oblivion habr but there is a bit there that makes the game shine. It feels like it's more in the vein of "The Witcher".

There are puzzles to solve and I even accidentally discovered some secret rooms as I noticed that a rock texture on the wall seemed a bit lighter than the reast. "Pop" the wall slides open revealing a treasure. Also, you really have to be mindful of when you take on a task because you will die if not high enough.

All graphics on high make the game look beautiful though there are issues such as my character's spine, when running, leads me to believe I need to see a doctor, jumping is odd as right before I land I still feel like I am "frozen" in this odd position and then I hit. Oh, and I can jump from any height and nothing bad will happen to me. Though you are supposed to be powerful so maybe that's it.

It's worth checking out, though it is a bit action oriented (for those who dont' like that) . It doesn't have the same level of depth as say drakensang but you can put points into your skills, put points into trees and mix and match trees (so you can be a flame throwing warrior).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Arcania  Gothic 4 has got me at the moment  just a pity they ironed out the performance issues a bit too late,so it got a bad rap but as for the enviroment and ragdoll physics it's one of the best i've seen,nothng more satisfying than takeing out a mob with a well aimed head shot,then see it flip backwards as if it's been hit on the noggin with something really hard.image

Story is damn good and the dialogue aint bad at all still got some weird bugs especially jumping onto rocks if u miss u sort of slide as if u just hit a patch of black ice,died a few times like that but that apart loveing it so far.

Just hope that Piranha bytes get Gothic back if Jo Wood go under,but if they use the same devs but give them more time they should put out a good game fingers crossed for Gothic 5 image

p>
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I really enjoyed Bard's Tale.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Two Worlds 1-2

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Try these,

I'm,

Playing Gothic 1, -( I missed it the first time round it was released)

Played Gothic 2,  took about 3mnths of play, best game ever in my books, still keep seeing Kings Scroll plants in my garden)

Playing Gothic 3 (CPT1.74 + Q4 +CM2.2*), ( played when it first came out and re started when the all the patches came out again) - still playing, gets the same vote from me as Gothic 2, as I'm sure G3: FG will.

Gothis 3: Forgotten Gods Enhanced Edtion, ( just awaiting me to finish Gothic 3 (1.74 + Q4 +CM2.2)

Played Arcadia - ( But it's NOT gothic 4 ...game) which was very pretty and a quick fun play)

Playing - Risen - ( which should have been Gothic 4 ), and looking forwards to Risen 2

Playing - TwoWorlds II, - (  very much like Gothic 3 crossed with Elderscrolls 4, plus with coop multiplay side as well, which is sepatrate from singleplay side of game ) - ( sorry I bypassed playing TW1, but I do own it))

Currently also playing Divinty II - Dragon Kight Saga, it's a fun romp!)

also played thru and totally enjoyed Fable Lost chapters,

Never played Fable 2, ( Stupid consoles! )

looking forwards to Fable 3, ( Hurray back to PC! )

I also Played, Arcadia - ( The, but it's NOT Gothic 4 game) which was very pretty and a quick fun play )

So to sum up;

Gothic set followed by Risen. followed by Two Worlds II. 

and All can be found on Steam at a cheap price except for Risen.

*(CPT1.74 + Q4 +CM2.2*) = ( Community patch Team 1.74 patch + Quest 4 addon, + Content Mod 2.2 ) - you must patch this up your self, info on how to do it can be found on the Steam forums.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by japo

There were none before The Elder Scrolls....and none since.

kings field, arx fatalis, numerous might and magic games plus others dissagree.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

Originally posted by redcap036

Try these,

I'm,

Played Gothic 2,  took about 3mnths of play, best game ever in my books, still keep seeing Kings Scroll plants in my garden)

Playing Gothic 3 (CPT1.74 + Q4 +CM2.2*), ( played when it first came out and re started when the all the patches came out again) - still playing, gets the same vote from me as Gothic 2, as I'm sure G3: FG will.

Gothis 3: Forgotten Gods Enhanced Edtion, ( just awaiting me to finish Gothic 3 (1.74 + Q4 +CM2.2)

Played Arcadia - ( But it's NOT gothic 4 ...game) which was very pretty and a quick fun play)

Playing - Risen - ( which should have been Gothic 4 ), and looking forwards to Risen 2

Playing - TwoWorlds II, - (  very much like Gothic 3 crossed with Elderscrolls 4, plus with coop multiplay side as well, which is sepatrate from singleplay side of game ) - ( sorry I bypassed playing TW1, but I do own it))

I also Played, Arcadia - ( The, but it's NOT Gothic 4 game) which was very pretty and a quick fun play )

So to sum up;

*(CPT1.74 + Q4 +CM2.2*) = ( Community patch Team 1.74 patch + Quest 4 addon, + Content Mod 2.2 ) - you must patch this up your self, info on how to do it can be found on the Steam forums.

Whats your take on TW2 - I read some of the reviews and it did not seem to fair well?  How does it play?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

mount and blade is probably worth a look at... image

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Two Worlds 2 and surprisingly Oblivion:)

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Originally posted by wesjr

Originally posted by redcap036

Try these,

I'm,

So to sum up;

Whats your take on TW2 - I read some of the reviews and it did not seem to fair well?  How does it play?

Very much enjoying it, the horse riding is a bit more realistic than the elder scrolls horses, ( you actually have to spur the horse on to move it and it will throw you off if you abuse it too much, also has inventory space as well))) the combat is very fun and hard, it's easier than the gothic set to play but harder than elder scrolls, Acradia and Divinity II, I luv the fact that some caves and dungeons are totally pitch black, forcing you to use  a torch to see by I think it's a well-rounded mix of all the games I listed, but I'm still playing, the single play game is free roam, watch out for the baboons they throw dirt ..I hope, at you,

As for the multiplayer side, it starts by you entering a central hub town, with shops and so forth, ( not like DDO at all)  then you create a game/adventure and enter, ether by yourself or with your friend and other players can join in as well ,( can be password locked) play though that level to unlock the next level, been doing it solo for now while I wait till the rest of my gaming group gets it, I did  find that most players spoke German, but when I asked if there were any English players I got back a few, " Yar we speak English!" replies" I feel happy with my $50Au spent better than the $50 I spent on Rift,( but that’s another story)

Hope that helps.

P.S. Please do not expect any of these games that I have listed to play like any mmorpg game

edited for spell checking.

• MonkronMonkron Member Posts: 3

I don't think I saw anyone mention the Ultima series up to Ultima 9.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I think a lot of people here don't know what 'first-person' means.

Oh well.

Since nobody mentioned it, I'll just throw out Etrian Odyssey 1 through 3.  Sure, the story is a bit lacking (It doesn't have a whole lot), but it makes up for that with required mapping and brutal difficulty.

... it reminds me of Bard's Tale, and back when RPG was often synonymous with 'failing repeatedly because you're just not badass enough to grind your way through the REALLY hard stuff'.

• stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38

Anvil of Dawn , oldie but one of my all time favorites !

Originally posted by Meowhead, "I think a lot of people here don't know what 'first-person' means."

Considering how many actual 1st person fantasy games there are, it's not surprising that posters are also including games which are also 3rd person, a lot of which also do allow you to go into 1st person mode, add in the fact the OP ask to exclude the Elderscrolls set and Might & magic games out of this thread plus any mmorpg's, you can see why were limited to adding 3rd person rpgs as well.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

I would also highly recommend Mount and Blade; either the original or the Warband expansion. Although you definitely need to check out the mods as the basic game universe is a bit on the small side. If you want more historical flavor and more story, their latest "with Fire and Sword" or something like that is coming out soon.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007

The Stygian Abyss, Stalker, Gothic 3, Ultima serious 1-9 afew more I can't think of right now.

Edited to remove elderscrolls

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226
    there's a lot of stuff here I'll have to look into.
    nice to reminiscence over oldies as well

so does Gothic series let you play in first person or not?
  • ZorkenZorken Member UncommonPosts: 54

Eye of the Beholder, Wizadry 8 (really liked this one when it first came out, loved its char creation), System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Borderlands  (yes those 3 are "sci-fi" but still good) Ultima Underworld,

Benjamin Franklin wrote the best quote to use for MMOs in development.
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Originally posted by Thrakk

there's a lot of stuff here I'll have to look into. nice to reminiscence over oldies as well so does Gothic series let you play in first person or not?

Yes you can play in 1st person mode in the gothic series, i find that I swap between the 1st person view for my bow use and scroll out to close up 3rd person while in a town or cave, etc.. and scroll all the way out for wilderness travel, if you play gothic x you will find that scrolling in and out with the mouse to be very fluid and very useful, especially when a wild boar is chasing you or worst.

Also when you go into 1st person mode, you can look down and see your body.

Yes you can play all the way through in 1st person.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Thrakk

there's a lot of stuff here I'll have to look into. nice to reminiscence over oldies as well so does Gothic series let you play in first person or not?

I would skip Gothic 1 even thought it's an Epic game. I would play Gothic 2 but make sure you get one of the best adds on of any RPG to date..NOTR( Night Of The Raven).

Also i would give The Witcher a whirl which again is a great European RPG which sites like these don't like to support. In 17b days you have the folow up to The Witcher 2 Assassin Of Kings.

Epic 18+ mature rpg no tree hugger bioware elves in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvIntJgX5bQ