Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT EU servers are GhostTowns during peak hours now

123457»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

Originally posted by Soraksis

I honestly dont think you hit end game at all.  I am not saying this is the greatest game ever,  but your crazy if you think there is no endgame.  90% of this game is endgame,  the leveling content is whats lacking,  there is absolutely no shortage on endgame content whats so ever,  the shortage is on the leveling side.  There are not very many options of places to go while leveling you have so few zones your choices are extremely limited.  As far as pvp goes who cares,  Trion stated from the beginning that this is NOT a pvp game and PvP was an after thought.  They designed this game as a pve centric game.  It really does tickle me to death to listen to people bitch about the pvp when they are to fkin lazy to read.  You can go back to press releases during the beta phases and read several times over they stated this is a pve game with some pvp in it,  so complaing about pvp in a game that isnt about pvp is well stupid.  

Anyone that says they are a casual gamer but leveled to max in 2 weeks or less are not casual gamers.  I am into my second month playing and have only just hit 50 maybe a week ago.  I am a casual gamer, I dont come home from work ingore my family and go straight to my comp.  The leveling speed is fine it actually level per level takes twice as long to level a toon in this game as does say WoW or AoC or even EQ2.  The problem is on the players side,  they play too much and think they are still casual but if you grind out 50 levels in less than 2 weeks you are not even close to casual.  I will say tho that there is a lack of content during that level grind so i dont blame you for rushing thru it to get to endgame where all the content is. 

Yeah, endgame is grinding instances for gear - really exciting and original, not. Pass.

As for PVP, they have PVP servers and half their subs were playing on them. If they are going to overlook and ignore half their sub base then that would be their failure.

As for the bit in red, sorry... but LMAO.

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

Surprise, Rift is a cheap clone and a poorly done one at that.  Get over the bad gimmick, it's bringing absolutely nothing interesting or worthwhile in any shape or form.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Aconsar

Surprise, Rift is a cheap clone and a polished done one at that.  Get over the bad gimmick, it's bringing absolutely nothing interesting for me or worthwhile in any shape or form that I enjoy.

Fixed.

Actually, objectively looking at it, I think that enough variety and amount of content in the endgame department is maybe Rift's biggest problem; its class system and certainly its dynamic PvE content are features that stand out, I foresee a future where the MMO world and its PvE content will become more dynamic and changing than the static environment and PvE content that has been the norm so far.

polished release > unpolished, buggy release

dynamic PvE content > static PvE content

large amount and variety of (endgame) content > narrow range and amount of (endgame) content

The first 2, Trion got covered with Rift, it's the third one that seems to need a boost.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Actually, objectively looking at it, I think that enough variety and amount of content in the endgame department is maybe Rift's biggest problem; its class system and certainly its dynamic PvE content are features that stand out, I foresee a future where the MMO world and its PvE content will become more dynamic and changing than the static environment and PvE content that has been the norm so far.

polished release > unpolished, buggy release

dynamic PvE content > static PvE content

large amount and variety of (endgame) content > narrow range and amount of (endgame) content

The first 2, Trion got covered with Rift, it's the third one that seems to need a boost.

Or you can look at it this way. 

It's class system makes the pvp totally unbalanced.

It's dynamic PvE content is anything but dynamic and totally predictable, not to mention a pain in the ass at times.

So basicly it comes down to polish and is that how we rate games now days. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

Originally posted by stayontarget

Or you can look at it this way. 

It's class system makes the pvp totally unbalanced.

It's dynamic PvE content is anything but dynamic and totally predictable, not to mention a pain in the ass at times.

So basicly it comes down to polish and is that is how we rate games now days. 

Agreed. The class system was good in theory, but in practice it was pretty generic in the end.. and like you said, it resulted in huge imbalances (not only in PVP).

I don't even know how people see these rifts as exciting, new or dynamic? A rift spawns, and mobs are sent out? And closing them is as dull and repetitive as it can get. Sure, I thought they were kinda fun... for a while, but then they just get in the way and are ignored by the majority of the players. And.. err, Asheron's call in 1999 had real town invasions and events where the entire world was permanently impacted.

Polish, yeah, the game was well polished.

Originally posted by osc8r

I don't even know how people see these rifts as exciting, new or dynamic? A rift spawns, and mobs are sent out? And closing them is as dull and repetitive as it can get. Sure, I thought they were kinda fun... for a while, but then they just get in the way and are ignored by the majority of the players. And.. err, Asheron's call in 1999 had real town invasions and events where the entire world was permanently impacted.

I can't see why gamers would prefer the world environment and PvE content NOT to evolve from the static content what it was to a more dynamic environment, where all kinds of things can happen, just like the rifts. I see the rifts as the first steps into that new direction: sure, people may not like those first changes but it's better than static PvE environments where nothing changes for the next 10 years.

As for AC, iirc those specific events were all dev controlled and steered, they weren't automated and variable in follow up that they could keep happen everywhere anytime without any direct or indirect additional coding of the devs. I read the accounts of how the devs made long overtime hours to make things work, especially when they had to get involved more directly when things weren't happening as they'd expected it to happen.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by Meugamer

And what is happeing in this industry ???

A dreadful cloning of a 7 year old game with 10% of a world and terrible copycat mechanics with 8 year old quests....

Calling this - polished - is simply NOT enough these days of upcoming innovations.

This is not really my discussion, I just jumped in the thread, so I leave it at this post.

Sorry, but I think it's a skewed view of reality.

First, Rift is just 1 MMO that's hardly the cornerstone of all innovation in MMO's. Saying it like it is is ignoring what's going on for the rest in the MMO genre. GW2 showed 3D gaming at the conventions. MMO Utility apps for iphone and other devices have been shown for various MMO's. Various recent and upcoming MMO's show gameplay features that are new to the genre and quite an innovation, from dynamic PvE content to situation-sensitive combat (Vindictus) to questing and pvp alternatives, all that happening in MMO's.

For that matter, how much innovation have other gaming genres shown? 'Here's the new CoD and MW, a world of difference from the old CoD and MW'? Or here's SC2, completely different gameplay mechanics and totally not recognisable from the first Starcraft?

I could go on, but like I said, I just hopped onto this thread for a quickpost, so I'm going to leave it at this.

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

Making new MMO is like tryign to make a new wheel - in the end they are all the same...

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by wesjr

Making new MMO is like tryign to make a new wheel - in the end they are all the same...

Eve Online has very little in common with WoW.

Jes' sayin'

.. But in a good way.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

Some wheels have rims, and some are different sizes.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

Originally posted by Blacknd

Jes' sayin'

Well Eve online is just it's own genre.. thats more like a Financial Simulation game.. log on.. Change skill queue, Log off.

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by naraku209

Jes' sayin'

Well Eve online is just it's own genre.. thats more like a Financial Simulation game.. log on.. Change skill queue, Log off.

well you can play any game that way. minus DCUO.

I've known people who played WoW this way.

.. But in a good way.

Jes' sayin'

Maybe after you grind to max level but with eve, when i played it for the 30 days i did. i found my self logging on to see if i could od what i wanted only to find i had to wait another 12 hours for another skill to finish.

Jes' sayin'

Maybe after you grind to max level but with eve, when i played it for the 30 days i did. i found my self logging on to see if i could od what i wanted only to find i had to wait another 12 hours for another skill to finish.

Working the market has no level requirement, to be honest. I knew someone irl who did nothing but twink in WoW, but was insanely wealthy from working the AH. In Eve, working the market can also pay for your subscription to the game :P not sure of another commercial MMORPG that can boast that.

.. But in a good way.

Jes' sayin'

Working the market has no level requirement, to be honest. I knew someone irl who did nothing but twink in WoW, but was insanely wealthy from working the AH. In Eve, working the market can also pay for your subscription to the game :P not sure of another commercial MMORPG that can boast that.

well if you enjoy logging on for 30 minutes a day doing that then logging off, why not? 

well if you enjoy logging on for 30 minutes a day doing that then logging off, why not? 

If that's all you enjoy doing, then try working the real stock market :P there are a lot of other facets to Eve.

The guy I mentioned did nothing but PvP and work the market, and that makes Eve an ideal game, tbh.

.. But in a good way.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Actually, objectively looking at it, I think that enough variety and amount of content in the endgame department is maybe Rift's biggest problem; its class system and certainly its dynamic PvE content are features that stand out

There really isn't anything dynamic about rifts. They are just content that is sometimes on and sometimes off. The class system doesn't really offer the variety you are suggesting either, yeah you can swap on the fly more than in most games but the classes themselves are just bland and you can't really do much more with them than you can in any other game out there. This is not a system I hope future games mimic at all, it is like the Age of Conan combat system where it looks good at first but once you really get to know it you see that it is heavily flawed.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

Originally posted by Ender4

Actually, objectively looking at it, I think that enough variety and amount of content in the endgame department is maybe Rift's biggest problem; its class system and certainly its dynamic PvE content are features that stand out

There really isn't anything dynamic about rifts. They are just content that is sometimes on and sometimes off. The class system doesn't really offer the variety you are suggesting either, yeah you can swap on the fly more than in most games but the classes themselves are just bland and you can't really do much more with them than you can in any other game out there. This is not a system I hope future games mimic at all, it is like the Age of Conan combat system where it looks good at first but once you really get to know it you see that it is heavily flawed.

How is it heavily flawed? I'm playing a lvl 26 mage, pyro, elementalist., stormcaller, so I have some experience of it and haven't seen any problems yet that I haven't found in other games. 

It's no good saying that the class system is flawed and then giving no examples.

Originally posted by Ender4

Shrug. If you can't see that Rift's mechanic offers an upgrade from the static way PvE content has without it, then I can't really help you. Either you can look at it objectively or you don't. Even if you dislike Rift and by extension its rifts system doesn't mean that it isn't different from how PvE content behaves normally though.

As for AoC's combat system, the same point: a lot of people who played AoC and look at it fairly and squarely will disagree with you. A lot of people who played it enjoyed what AoC's melee combat brought into the mix, personally I think it's the best melee combat experience I've had in an MMORPG, because of the combination of directional combat, its PBAoE nature (position yourself and the mobs right and each sword swing could hit 2-3 mobs for the same damage to each of them) and the fatality crits. The only flaw I find is that FC should have implemented how the new ranger combo system worked for all the melee combat classes right from launch: namely that you could choose your own combo, either you use a skill blankly or you add all kinds of effects by preceding it with with 1 or more directional white attacks.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Meugamer

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Aconsar

Surprise, Rift is a cheap clone and a polished done one at that.  Get over the bad gimmick, it's bringing absolutely nothing interesting for me or worthwhile in any shape or form that I enjoy.

Fixed.

I don't like it when people change other posts. It is as if they fall short in accepting other opinions.

Yeah, not sure when it became acceptable to misquote someone as a way of stating your own opinion. Been seeing it more and more.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.