Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: Update 2 Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the DC Universe Online Update 2 firmly installed on their hard drives, MMORPG.com's Drew Wood and Bill Murphy have some thoughts about the new content. See what MMORPG.com Lead Writer Bill Murphy discovered about the Bat Cave, Two-Face, The Penguin and more. Le

It was with great anticipation that I logged into DC Universe for this past week’s Update 2 patch. New Green Lantern flavored duo, new and final Batman-themed raid, a new solo challenge highlighting the Penguin, Hush, and Two-Face. A slew of open world missions with an Irish theme starring Mister Mxyzptlk were tossed in with celtic-flavored style items as rewards. Plus you can earn Two-Face in Legends PvP now too. And let’s not forget the laundry list of fixes, upgrades, and exploits knocked-off. It all sounds so good on paper, right?

Read more of Bill Murphy's DCUO: Update 2 Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

i am getted tempted to get this on pc now and give it a whirl..... but the reports of low population is putting me off, guess i will wait till they merge the servers.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by k1klass

i am getted tempted to get this on pc now and give it a whirl..... but the reports of low population is putting me off, guess i will wait till they merge the servers.

given that the game isnt doing that well.. then perhaps sooner than later.. trying it now while it is still 'relatively' active .. is there a free trial of this game.. if not.. i'd be tempted to avoid.. as the game itself is a bit pricey just to buy for a single month of gameplay.. image

• mmodannommodanno Member Posts: 163

Single month is being generous.   There is really only about a week's worth of gameplay as it stands. 

NOTE:  That obviously is not counting the hours and hours of grind required to get a piece of Tier X gear.  Im talking about actual content.  The absolutly dead servers don't help with that.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Originally posted by k1klass

Better to wait for free trial + server merges, maybe the game will be more active then.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Did they added antialiasing mode oe is it just the same jagggie game.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Has the chat system changed?  I mean, not that the chat system is the only issue keeping me from really jumping back into this game, but it's pretty friggin klunky.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by BlackWatch

Has the chat system changed?  I mean, not that the chat system is the only issue keeping me from really jumping back into this game, but it's pretty friggin klunky.

Yeap the chat system is muuuuuuuuuuuuch better now.

This is not a game.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I found the game boring on the PS3, I can't imagine how boring it is on the PC.  I think SOE shot themselves in the foot by separating the platforms.  FFXI did extremely well by multi platforming.  SOE should have take a note from their FFXI playbook.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630

I couldn't figure out how to see anything in the League Social UI other than league ranks and their permissions... couldn't figure out how to see who's on-line from my league.

• imouthosimouthos Member Posts: 25

I bought the ps3 version because it was on clearance at Target for 14 bucks - I wouldn't say the PS3 servers are doing THAT well. The PvP servers have a decent population because well...they're gank friendly. All the PvE servers are constantly on "Low" and occasionally "Medium" on "Justice" at peak times. I can't even complete the intro quest for the Legends simulator because no one is playing it :-P

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

If this game went f2p I'd prob play it ever day at least a little, but even the ps3 servers are mostly deserted. 

Originally posted by elocke

I found the game boring on the PS3, I can't imagine how boring it is on the PC.  I think SOE shot themselves in the foot by separating the platforms.  FFXI did extremely well by multi platforming.  SOE should have take a note from their FFXI playbook.

SOE have a hard time learning from their own mistakes.. expecting them to learn from others successes.. is pretty much an exercise in futility..  but i do agree that the game should have been multi platform... given player numbers on the PC version.. and with reports of the PS3 version not being much better off... have to wonder if it would have changed things? image

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

I'm only expecting 1 more update for this game until they do something drastic with it. Pull the plug, stop updating, go f2p, etc.. They were already having trouble getting out the 1st two updates & now SOE is having serious trouble. Sure they say that this game won't be affected by the layoffs but SOE isn't exactly known for telling the whole truth.

If I were another gaming company though I'd swoop right in & poach the person(s) who designed the combat system for this game though, I have yet to experience anything so fun & engaging in any other game.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Dorko2k

If I were another gaming company though I'd swoop right in & poach the person(s) who designed the combat system for this game though, I have yet to experience anything so fun & engaging in any other game.

I like your way of thinking :)

Originally posted by Dorko2k

I'm only expecting 1 more update for this game until they do something drastic with it. Pull the plug, stop updating, go f2p, etc.. They were already having trouble getting out the 1st two updates & now SOE is having serious trouble. Sure they say that this game won't be affected by the layoffs but SOE isn't exactly known for telling the whole truth.

it plays like an action game.. and its not really all that compatable with most of the MMO's currently out there.. its not really new. even to MMO's..  though obviously its more console friendly than PC friendly  .. its a button masher.. which is why its gamepad friendly... not sure but i think EQ online adventures was fairly similar.. image

• KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84

Still loving the game.  Play on PS3.  Update 2 was a good step in right direction.  I play on a pvp server and it is one of the most populated, so I havent had probelms with population, but you can still tell a huge drop from the first month.

Different then most MMO's and perfect for the time I have to play now, with wife and kid.  Can't log hours at a time anymore like I did in Everquest and WOW.  Each raid is hour or less if you arent running in a bad PUG. 

Still having freezing issues in the PS3 version, but they are getting better.

I would still recommend buying, you will get enough out of first month to justify the purchase.

Legends PVP alone is enough to keep me subbed.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

My Review of the Update:

Typical SOE, when and update finally comes, it's too late, and it just adds more problems to the game...

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I still reckon the game should've been B2P, with paying for updates as optional, since it seems like the update focus on content that are instanced, and not epanding the open world.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I actually had trouble finding groups in pc servers.  I dont understand why they seperated PC from PS3 servers :(

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• brucieeeebrucieeee Member Posts: 12

You shouldn't have to pay a monthly sub to grind. I want my 3 months sub refunded. All updates are just new things to grind. Pointless.

Originally posted by sjeslis

I couldn't figure out how to see anything in the League Social UI other than league ranks and their permissions... couldn't figure out how to see who's on-line from my league.

Hit F4 when you're in-game and scroll down to league, you should see whose online.

This is not a game.

I found the new Penguin mission (and the pengbot in particular) a lot easier when I switched my role to dps, the thing dropped faster than I had thought... lol maybe I'm just good at dps...

This is not a game.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

With all the layoffs there is no way DC will be doing note worthy updates every six weeks (this one was already in the pipe)

You only get one chance to make a first impression. DC blew it.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Let’s forget about the fact that this Update took longer than normal to come out and thus completely missed St. Pat’s.  I can understand that DCUO’s overly-ambitious monthly updates are now coming roughly every six weeks instead.  It’s still a quick turnaround all things considered.  And each update seems like a healthy dose of additional content in between the team’s larger planned “Publishes” which are slated (I believe) to come every three months or so.  But here’s the biggest problem facing DCUO right now.  It’s not PvP cheaters.  It’s not a lack of content.  It’s not even the UI.  The social UI has been given a decent overhaul and is much more readily usable now.  The League interface looks and functions better, and location-sensitive VOIP is pretty cool in PvP too.  In fact the whole UI is more responsive and polished.  The game as a product is     just better now than it was at launch. .

I have 2 questions for you Bill.

1) When was the last time you heard SOE talk about the "larger" publishes and when those could be expected to hit the servers? 

I ask this, because there is a lot of talk from players suspecting there is some big Green Lantern content coming due to the movie, but all I ever see is players speculating about bigger content patches.  Perhaps there are comments from the devs since beta, but I don't recall seeing any more commitments to the larger patches from soe since before the games release.  Considering the way they talk about how difficult it is to do the small updates it begs the question of what they can achieve when aiming higher. 

2) You say the biggest problem for DCU is the lack of players.   DCU used to have lots of players, so how do you think it got to the point of lack of players being the biggest problem? 

In my opinion while lack of players is an immediate problem it isn't THE problem.  It is just the a result of many other problems.   Most of which have been discussed since beta.  Again, in my opinion, if DCU were to somehow gain several hundred thousand players next week like it did at release, I'm not sure that in a few months the server situation would be any different than it is right now. 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

This is nice CONSOLE game. That's all. I gived up after week. At least they sould try to make game PC friendly .. but they did not even bother. And as usually like majority of console games ... all is mainly about button masshing. This recipe can never work in PC world.