Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is Horrible, Skip it.

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I think he means that you play a game for as long as you are having fun with it. The amount of time is not a constant or controllable factor. Then you move to the next game that it provides fun. This effectively make any previous game fillers to the ones succeeding them.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Xasapis

I think he means that you play a game for as long as you are having fun with it. The amount of time is not a constant or controllable factor. Then you move to the next game that it provides fun. This effectively make any previous game fillers to the ones succeeding them.

Well, that is at least partially true.

Most games I like is something a play as long as they are fun and then I forget all about them. There are however a few great game that I remember really foundly and I can't call them fillers.

The first computer RPG I remember foundly are Baldurs gate 2 and Phantasy III (The wrath of Nicodemus). there is a something like 15 to 20 games like that from my about 25 years of computer gaming. They were all great and no fillers at all, and I would buy any sequels to them.

But no matter how great a game is everything has a beginning and a end.

99% of all games might be fillers for the next one but there are a few great we will discuss at the old folks home.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

{mod edit} Thanks for speaking on the one-sided ness of this game. I hate games that completely lack balance. This sounds like one of those.

There's very limited classes to choose from, 2 of which suck in pvp = bad game to me.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by blueturtle13
    Just seems an odd thing to call a game that you play or have played. I look at ALL games as filler because that is what games are. As are movies and tv and music.

He means people are playing it until the next MMO comes out and then they plan on dropping it. Rift doesn't seem to have enough to keep anyone playing except for the fact it is the only new MMO out right now. A year from now when a couple new MMOs have come out if what he suggests is true Rift will be a ghost town because filler games don't keep populations around long.

I think it is a bit of an exaggeration but I'd be shocked if Rift ever grows larger than it is right now, my guess is it peaked at release.

I think mmorpg's have pretty much hit their wall for innovation, much like the automobile industry. Once you had the four wheels, engine, seats..and such...not much more you can do to a car cept add features.

Not even close to true imo. Games like GW2 and even ToR are evolutionary steps in the genre. Just because a lot of pure clones have come out recently doesn't mean that is all that can be made.

• N1njaPwnStarN1njaPwnStar Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Taegan

Top RVR player on my shard hit 50 after 6 days and proceeded to pvp. The grind to 50 was bad and after lvl 12 or so you have seen the full content of the game. I would avoid this game if you can.

Entertaining for a month maybe longer if you play very slow.

If you must play be a mage or cleric. They have the best choice's for high end play as you can fill any role in a group other then tank.

Rogue's and warriors are horrible in pvp compared to the other 2 class's and make no real difference in a pvp match. The team with the most heals win's 90% of the time so make sure you take a healing path.

Quit just before hitting rank 6 on Tearfall server as a warrior.

Speaknspell

50 War-Rank5 Tearfall

idk wtf ur talking about i face roll people as a warrior.. with my spec i take out 2-3 *if no healers* by myself... ive won so many 1v2's its not even funny .. so im gunna go ahead and say you dont know how to spec ur char.. or maybe u just roll up on ppl spamming the same key and expect epic win idk.. but either way.. you find a build u like u roll it u roll faces.... only a few classes i have problems beating.... but im sure ill be nerfed again soon :) gotta love cry baby gimps that cant pvp.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

It's funny because the name of this discussion is >> Game is Horrible , Skip it.

From where I come from , I'll skip your discussion and move on to a more enjoyable one.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I like the soul system, but I hate the standard Quest setup followed by the raids. Not a huge fan of the combat either. Not much new going on in rift. It's pretty much the same old song and dance with a new paint job oO. Glad I got to try it though as I did like the class system setup they have. Much more freedom than you will find in most games. Rifts good parts would have been better served as a patch or expantion to some other existing games though rather than being a new game all together. It just doesn't have a fresh enough feel for me to enjoy it as a new game. 

In any case, this is just my opinion others are likely to feel differently. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

The game is definitely worth trying.  Horrible, it is not.

But I'd never recommend any MMO to a person unless they can try it first, and Rift is no exception. 

I think many folks were actually shocked:  upon playing the game, they actually liked it.  Given the record of MMO's in the past 4 years, it almost seems unprecedented.  It's kinda like seeing the crackhead kid down the street doing their homework.

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

Level 50 in 6 days!!! No wonder you rage quit. My highest toon is 31 and been playing since head start.

Maybe next game you play I suggest you slow down and enjoy the ride.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Robsolf

But I'd never recommend any MMO to a person unless they can try it first, and Rift is no exception. 

I think many folks were actually shocked:  upon playing the game, they actually liked it.  Given the record of MMO's in the past 4 years, it almost seems unprecedented.  It's kinda like seeing the crackhead kid down the street doing their homework.

I don't know, I've noticed the opposite really. Many were heralding the game before trying it. Once they tried it most seem to have changed there opinion or simply lost interest and moved on. 

But I do agree that anyone interested should try before they buy. 

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please refrain from criticizing the OP. This thread has gone long past its start, and as long as discussion continues civilly, it will stay open. Expressing negative opinions about a game is perfectly fine as long as there's some context, rather than simple bashing.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

For all those who wish apon a star for the NEXT mmo releases. The jury is still out on both of those games

Sure they could both stink, but they are still 'next-gen'. They are still bringing new things to the genre instead of just copying exactly what is already out there. I don't think the MMO scene is going to just stagnate into WoW clones like it has the past couple of years.

When you look at an MMO 10 years from now it isn't going to play like WoW with better graphics like the post I quoted sort of suggests. 10 years from now a car is still going to basically be a car though.

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by Fandin

What ever happened to not liking something and moving on

{mod edit}

I played the Free Weekend event, found some things I found really neat like Rifts and the soul system, but was overall uninspired by the rest of the gameplay. {mod edit} And I wish the game, and all who play it and enjoy it the best. Just not for me.

Posts like this disgust me. What's the point of having a forum if all that's ever in it are posts & threads praising the game's good points without revealing the bad?

I praise the OP for his honesty & experience when it comes to this game. I too have been looking for another "Daoc II" with no luck, and was contemplating buying this game. Thank you for steering me clear of this game :). I had my suspiciouns about the game's emptyness & lack of decent PvP or depth just from videos, descriptions, walkthroughs for classes, and class abilities.

MMORPG.com is NOT a site dedicated to advertising a game company's product. It is here for US the players to know the good AND the bad about a game so we can make an informed decision about the game before buying, among other things.{mod edit}

-Faded

If you ever do find that DAoC 2 let me know ASAP! and you are right, OP has the right to not be satisfied with RIFT just as much as anyone else has the right to be so satisfied with RIFT that they declare it the best video game made in the history of video games and would gladly sell all their other games and gaming devices and never buy any new ones again even after RIFT goes offline for the rest of their days. :D

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I don't know, I've noticed the opposite really. Many were heralding the game before trying it. Once they tried it most seem to have changed there opinion or simply lost interest and moved on. 

Interest seemed pretty "meh" for a long time til' closed beta came out.  Then a good number of people started to post very positively.  Unfortunately,  a few of the fanboi's started getting ridiculous, after a while.  I could almost argue I tried the game IN SPITE of their overzealous defense of a game that was rarely being attacked. 

Remember all the "WoW fanboyz jus h8'in Rift cuz it gonna pwn WoW" threads?  I do.  There were enough to make the mods make a sticky comparison thread...

Remember all the "Rift suxxors.  WoW iz King, yall!" threads?  I don't.  1 or 2, tops.

So while I agree that there's people not liking it since LAUNCH, most closed beta folks seemed quite surprised at how much they enjoyed it, and that's what I was referring to.  I probably should have made that distinction.

• 0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

The problem stems from hype, pure and simple.  Gamers keep pinning all their hope on the next mmo to be released.   They never learn.  What you're seeing with Rift atm you will see exactly the same when GW2 and SWTOR comes out.  Tons of posts about how bad the games are and how decieved they feel because the devs said it was going to be the greatest game ever.  They will post how they will never buy another game from said dev and retreat back into their dark corner and wait for the next mmo to be announced so they can start all over.

My point is most games are not "horrible".  For me it all depends on the guild, clan, faction, etc, I hook up with.  If you can find a consistent group of gamers to play with it makes all the difference.   

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Interest seemed pretty "meh" for a long time til' closed beta came out.  Then a good number of people started to post very positively.  Unfortunately,  a few of the fanboi's started getting ridiculous, after a while.  I could almost argue I tried the game IN SPITE of their overzealous defense of a game that was rarely being attacked. 

Remember all the "WoW fanboyz jus h8'in Rift cuz it gonna pwn WoW" threads?  I do.  There were enough to make the mods make a sticky comparison thread...

Remember all the "Rift suxxors.  WoW iz King, yall!" threads?  I don't.  1 or 2, tops.

So while I agree that there's people not liking it since LAUNCH, most closed beta folks seemed quite surprised at how much they enjoyed it, and that's what I was referring to.  I probably should have made that distinction.

also remember the numerous posts on  offical forum unhappy with patch 1.1 that the mods struggled to close yet more still popped up.

there are people happy with rift and its direction but remember there is also folks unhappy with the current direction .

rift has its fanboys and trolls and those in between .

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56

totally agree... props to u man

• SkuldinSkuldin Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by otter3370

The problem stems from hype, pure and simple.  Gamers keep pinning all their hope on the next mmo to be released.   They never learn.  What you're seeing with Rift atm you will see exactly the same when GW2 and SWTOR comes out.  Tons of posts about how bad the games are and how decieved they feel because the devs said it was going to be the greatest game ever.  They will post how they will never buy another game from said dev and retreat back into their dark corner and wait for the next mmo to be announced so they can start all over.

My point is most games are not "horrible".  For me it all depends on the guild, clan, faction, etc, I hook up with.  If you can find a consistent group of gamers to play with it makes all the difference.   

I agree with your post to an extent, but even having grabbed my brother and a friend of mine that were both out of MMOs to give this game a shot, the game really lost its luster fast.  The problem is the games now have no depth. People under twenty five don't even know what I'm talking about most likely.  They only have WoW as a consistent basis for measurement and since it's as soul-less and shallow as Rift if not more so- they think that's how all MMOs are and have to be.  That isn't so.  Just because WoW is the Wal-Mart of MMOs does not mean we can't have some high end stores selling high end products hit the shelves. As a gamer, I would pay 20 or 25.00 a month for a game of true depth.  Games that lack even the most basic out of combat skills are not what this genre needs right now.  It needs someone to step back with true vision and create a game with detail and heart.

Rift was technically sound and smooth but it's the kind of game that feels like a robot made it.  If robots could create games this is what they'd make.  It would be a smooth launch technically not a pile of crap like Age of Conan and Warhammer were, but at the end of the day you feel like you wasted the time you spent online when you log off. 

Thirty years of gaming experience...not sure if I should be proud of that
    www.mmoexaminer.blogspot.com

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

lol speaknspell. whenever i saw you in pvp wf my stomach churned.

yeah this guy is a hardcore pvper. he was lvl 50 kicking ass all over the place in WF like 2 weeks into the game. he obviously rushed to 50 as soon as possible to get to endgame pvp and then got bored grinding warfronts all day long to obtain max pvp rank so he can own the rest of the population, 95% of which had only started doing warfronts and were in the lowest tier pvp gear possible. Once he got to this point, he most likely quit the game because he didnt care for any of the endgame PvE at all (which makes up 90% of total endgame content).

I understand where you are coming from and agree to the fact that endgame pvp is pretty underdeveloped and does not compare to endgame pve. However, everyone already knows from the start that this game is pve centered, so you really should not be crying that you are getting is expected.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Hope you get on the case of the guy praising Rift when he is only lvl 17 about it being the greatest thing ever.