Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is Horrible, Skip it.

Comments

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Not horrible, but Trion is a bit confused on the direction they are going to take right now.. The patches scream PvP, yet the actual content is PvE related so far..

I'll come back when they decide where they are going to go and when they "fix" every soul to be just as useless as the Warlord and Void Knight aka Balance..

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by Taegan

Top RVR player on my shard hit 50 after 6 days and proceeded to pvp. The grind to 50 was bad and after lvl 12 or so you have seen the full content of the game. I would avoid this game if you can.

Entertaining for a month maybe longer if you play very slow.

If you must play be a mage or cleric. They have the best choice's for high end play as you can fill any role in a group other then tank.

Rogue's and warriors are horrible in pvp compared to the other 2 class's and make no real difference in a pvp match. The team with the most heals win's 90% of the time so make sure you take a healing path.

Quit just before hitting rank 6 on Tearfall server as a warrior.

Speaknspell

50 War-Rank5 Tearfall

so i'v heared thanx for the info , am skiping this game for sure :)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by Vyeth

Not horrible, but Trion is a bit confused on the direction they are going to take right now.. The patches scream PvP, yet the actual content is PvE related so far..

I'll come back when they decide where they are going to go and when they "fix" every soul to be just as useless as the Warlord and Void Knight aka Balance..

Warlord is a pretty decent 3rd soul to any tank, and Void Knight is very good against mage bosses in expert and endgame.

P.S.  My new character is a level 38 Assassin and I love it, you can sneak around mobs you don't need and only kill the ones you have to...OP doesn't know what he's talking about.  My Assassin levels about twice as fast as my cleric ever did.  If you're mage (mines 26) you have to be Pyromancer if you want to level fast, but that will probably be fixed soon.  Clerics are one of the slowest to level, the only bonus to cleric is you almost never die if you play it right, good for aoe grinding, not for questing.  My warrior is level 33 and this is probably the most redundant of the callings.  Half of the souls are for tanking, the other half are for DPS, however they are the best in both (Pyro can out dps warrior, but warrior is like cleric and rarely dies.) 

Truth about the callings:

Warrior - Best Tank, One of the Best DPS.  Great if you like big two-handed berserkers or sword and board.

Rogue - Best Support (imho), and Fast leveling (read above).  Great if you like Stealth or buffing. Ranged Rogue and Tank aren't that great when compared to the dps of Mages or the tanking of warrior/cleric.

Cleric -  Average DPS, great tank, Healer of course (haha Chloro nerf).  Great for AOE Grinding or for those that want to sit back and heal, which is actually kinda hard in endgame.

Mage - High DPS, Very High spike DPS (pyro), pets, heals.  If you like magic, this is your calling duh.  Whether you want to have a pet tank for you, or more dots more dots more dots, or just plain Burninate the Peasants (pyro is best), mage is for you.

Edit2: Mage can't endgame heal anymore, sorry Chloromancers, but you just can't.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Originally posted by Gravarg

Warlord is a pretty decent 3rd soul to any tank, and Void Knight is very good against mage bosses in expert and endgame.

P.S.  My new character is a level 38 Assassin and I love it, you can sneak around mobs you don't need and only kill the ones you have to...OP doesn't know what he's talking about.  My Assassin levels about twice as fast as my cleric ever did.  If you're mage (mines 26) you have to be Pyromancer if you want to level fast, but that will probably be fixed soon.  Clerics are one of the slowest to level, the only bonus to cleric is you almost never die if you play it right, good for aoe grinding, not for questing.  My warrior is level 33 and this is probably the most redundant of the callings.  Half of the souls are for tanking, the other half are for DPS, however they are the best in both (Pyro can out dps warrior, but warrior is like cleric and rarely dies.) 

Truth about the callings:

Warrior - Best Tank, One of the Best DPS.  Great if you like big two-handed berserkers or sword and board.

Rogue - Best Support (imho), and Fast leveling (read above).  Great if you like Stealth or buffing. Ranged Rogue and Tank aren't that great when compared to the dps of Mages or the tanking of warrior/cleric.

Cleric -  Average DPS, great tank, Healer of course (haha Chloro nerf).  Great for AOE Grinding or for those that want to sit back and heal, which is actually kinda hard in endgame.

Mage - High DPS, Very High spike DPS (pyro), pets, heals.  If you like magic, this is your calling duh.  Whether you want to have a pet tank for you, or more dots more dots more dots, or just plain Burninate the Peasants (pyro is best), mage is for you.

Edit2: Mage can't endgame heal anymore, sorry Chloromancers, but you just can't.

Not true.  The guild I'm in often runs end game content with Chloromancer healers, without issues.  

Also since Warrior (self) heals got nerfed they have the least surviability out of all the classes (solo).  At level 50 Warrior's are high dps, with a single build.  If you don't like that build you're bascially screwed, and left with being a low dps class, with little utility.  Due to the huge difference in DPS this build gives to any other Warrior build, its highly likely to be nerfed.

Since 1.1 Rogues are being carried at end game.  There is nothing they can do (and is needed), which another class can't do better.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Trion stated from the start they werent going to focus on pvp in Rift, but yea i my self feel pretty awfull about wasting 50 fucking euro on this game , yes us european always gets screwed over, we have to pay extra for everything, and get screwed over just as well.

I didnt even play my full free month, thats how bored i got, i even tried to stay with the guild, but this whole ordeal about farming T1 until you have enough plaques for gear, then farm T2 when you have enough +focus or +hit , +toughness as tank......... repeative shit just aint me, nuff said, raids , well we got greenscale 3/5 done when i quit, there just aint no fucking challenge in the game, just another themepark mmo which has gone horribly wrong in my book.

REPEAT, MY BOOK, don't care what others think, but i believe your wasting money.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by kwai

Trion stated from the start they werent going to focus on pvp in Rift, but yea i my self feel pretty awfull about wasting 50 fucking euro on this game , yes us european always gets screwed over, we have to pay extra for everything, and get screwed over just as well.

I didnt even play my full free month, thats how bored i got, i even tried to stay with the guild, but this whole ordeal about farming T1 until you have enough plaques for gear, then farm T2 when you have enough +focus or +hit , +toughness as tank......... repeative shit just aint me, nuff said, raids , well we got greenscale 3/5 done when i quit, there just aint no fucking challenge in the game, just another themepark mmo which has gone horribly wrong in my book.

REPEAT, MY BOOK, don't care what others think, but i believe your wasting money.

Ya i feel pretty bad ya missed open beta, that way ya could have not wasted 50 euro.

/sarcasm off

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by shawn01

I love how people who are not even 50 post here saying how much they love the game. Yeah its ok until 50. Nothing new or spectacular, but its kinda fun. Thing about mmos is the leveling is only part of the game. There is supposed to be a thing we call end-game.

In rift end game is doing more pve, or roaming around the open world looking for someone to fight, but there is no one cause they are all in an instance, or you can do warfronts, or you can do daily quests.

Basically you can do all the same things you could do before, only you have already done it for 50 levels.

I had a 50 rogue 40 cleric and 26 warrior, like i said was fun for a while, but the only reason i played as much as i did was because of my friends. After a while i would log on, and if none of my friends were on i would get so bored twiddling my thumbs between boring warfronts, that i would log off. Eventually you will stop logging in altogether.

Unless you like carrots, then this game will keep you happy for a little longer. I have a couple hardcore friends who were doing greenscale, and they spend most of their time standing around in the city .

Everything Rift offers for end-game is exactly the same as WoW.  I think that's a pretty good starting point, though I do believe there needs to be something else.  Trion can't just sit on their hands and not give people a little bit more.  Open world PvP that is designed somewhat similar to DAoC or WAR would bt nice.  Territory control for dungeons and such. 

I mean, wasn't it Trion who has been touting their network technology as being revolutionary?  They were saying how they can have 100's of players in one place without destroying the server, why don't they put it to good use?  Perhaps in the next 3 months they could start introducing some smaller scale world PvP.  Then if that goes well, their next major retail expansion could be designed around having hundreds of players fighting in the same areas.  Like I said, they are the ones who said their technology is the bomb diggity.  Prove it.  Otherwise people will get bored.  Other than rifts, they've been doing this for six years now.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Taegan

Top RVR player on my shard hit 50 after 6 days and proceeded to pvp. The grind to 50 was bad and after lvl 12 or so you have seen the full content of the game. I would avoid this game if you can.

Entertaining for a month maybe longer if you play very slow.

If you must play be a mage or cleric. They have the best choice's for high end play as you can fill any role in a group other then tank.

Rogue's and warriors are horrible in pvp compared to the other 2 class's and make no real difference in a pvp match. The team with the most heals win's 90% of the time so make sure you take a healing path.

Quit just before hitting rank 6 on Tearfall server as a warrior.

Speaknspell

50 War-Rank5 Tearfall

Sorry bro but no one really gives a crap about PVP. Yeah I do the warfronts a bit as a distraction on my PVE server, but most people JUST DONT CARE ABOUT PVP! In any succesful mmo, PVP takes a back seat to PVE and that's the way it is. {mod edit}

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by jpnole

Sorry bro but no one really gives a crap about PVP. Yeah I do the warfronts a bit as a distraction on my PVE server, but most people JUST DONT CARE ABOUT PVP! In any succesful mmo, PVP takes a back seat to PVE and that's the way it is. {mod edit}

Eve would like a word with you, and they want to drag you out to 0-space to give it.

Just because you don't care for something doesn't make it miniscule, and it doesn't mean that whatever it is you dislike doesn't matter to others.

.. But in a good way.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

have to agree here ,trion seems to be struggling to know the direction of the game atm.hopefully they get back on track soon.

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

"Sorry bro but no one really gives a crap about PVP. Yeah I do the warfronts a bit as a distraction on my PVE server, but most people JUST DONT CARE ABOUT PVP! In any succesful mmo, PVP takes a back seat to PVE and that's the way it is. Please understand this fact before you attempt another troll thread..... oh and ....L2P!!!!"

Lol, so you are saying DAoC wasnt successful? PvP is the only meaningful thing you can do in an MMO. Everything else you do should be to enhance your character for PVP. Fighting against mindless mobs that do exqactly the same thing every time, is mindless. Everybody can do it, and so all the people who dont want to bother to learn to play can feel good about themselves.

PvP is hard, no doubt, when i first started pvping in daoc i was horrible at it, but you do get better, and it makes you better as a player overall. It is simply more challenging to fight other people who can think and adapt and do different things every time you fight them. For most people challenge=fun.

Now i will agree that pvp in most games, like WoW, Aion, Rift etc, is horrible, but that doesnt mean that pvp takes a back seat to pve. People have been saying for years how the 3 faction seperate PVP zoned pvp is the best, and finally after failed WoW clone after failed WoW clone, game developers are listening. Guild Wars 2 is going to have massive persiatant world PVP battles.

The key is keeping it seperate, so the carebears can hug each other, and the rest of us can get on with what makes online games so great to begin with, and that is the ability to play against real people instead of boring computer generated npcs.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

I played the game thru the weekend, and I am appreciative of the free time Trion gave to play the game. As a whole the game is quite beautiful and the character animations are pretty amazing ( summoning a pet with your axe spewing electricity, mage fire spells) but the over all feel of the game was just a bit too much like WoW. Even the skill trees were extreemly like WoW, you can only spend so many earned points in any skill before forced to use them in another .. or wait till leveling up.

I walk away from the game not with bitterness, disgust and hatred but the acknowlegement of a game that great care was taken for the overall graphic quality. The game play is decent, the graphics are great, just to me the whole grab all the quests from this place so that you can finish them in the next place is just over done.

In closing, if you have never played WoW before, this game will absolutely knock your socks off.

Work hard Play Harder

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

I just want to point out that people are acting like its normal to pound out 50 levels in 6 days. Whatever happened to enjoying the ride and all the extras it comes with? I can't trust someone's opinion that blasts threw the content and complains about a grind.

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

it wasnt a grind at all, leveling is fast, and i dont have a problem with that. The problem i have is with the engame. Doing dungeons over and over and over, is just not fun for me. Or doing the same 4 warfronts over and over.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

The game isn't horrible at all, in fact it's one of the better 'out of launch' games we've had since LOTRO, the core issue with people is that it's 'too samey' which is true: but thats only the base layer and Trion have yet to build on it due to focus elsewhere (ie making the game as 'farmer proof' as they can).

Reading thru all the inverviews they've done so far it's a pritty mxed bag on what they wanted to do with the game key question is 'is it PVE or PVP' based? Answer: Both but PVE focused on content atm (ie 1.1/1.2).

The PVP side, more World PVP side of the game IS already built into the game as the Ancient Wardstones dotted thru the game (those things that look like res spawnpoints but you can't click on) are the actal RVR content in the game, plus the skill is already in game at least on the Defiant side as it's a questline.

iirc only a few are active right now and they offer quests and rewards only accessable to those npcs if you trigger them for your faction to access, however it's been said in an interview I saw on Eurogamer that these will become more active at a later date (around 1.3/1.4), as guild banks are one of the focuses for 1.2 - seeing as Trion have already mapped out the major patch and story cycle and seeing that 1.1 came to us the 4th week in, it's hard to beleave these updates are 5-6 months away more 2 or 3 months away as game progression/growth seems to be a lot faster then other games.

It's kinda unfair to say that PVP has taken a backseat in this game as most of the foundation is there to build a great system, the pvp rank sysem is already in, the pvp soul is there (and theres no dought that isn't the only soul they could have), guild quests already point to World PVP, theres already a lot of World PVP based quests out there, from the result of what Rifts can do in the 1.1 event, PVP Rifts can easily be added, as said the Ancient Wardstones are there as well. All that realy needs to be done is flushed out a little.

Bottom line is that what we've seen so far is only a base layer of the game, theres content still yet to be active thats already in place and Rifts themselfs have shown they can be much more then a fixed grinding spot with a predicable event (ala the PQ system from WAR) as not only has the 1.1 event Rifts shown more thought is requred to compleat but the Raid Rifts and daily 5 man Rifts being able to be opened from any Rift location shows a lot of flexibility in the system.

Dispite a few issues with class balance (which if played with a group of friends/guild can be easily ignored as the teamplay is far better in Rift) and the growing pains an MMO has in the first 6 months - Rift is a 'wait and see' MMO, but this time in a good way as Trion and the game seem to be going in the right direction of slowly building up playerbase and content, instead of trying to push as much out as they can like most devs leaving half the content either unfinished or not working at all and then burning out and speading more time plugging their ears and hoping 'it'll work out' - heck Trion even admitted publicly their game wasn't perfect and whats actally been going on behind the senes, ehich is far better then the old 'it's got nothing to do with us it's ALL your end' responces we've been getting from others.

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

I'm having a lot of fun playing Rift.

Sure...it's nothing much different than what's already out there, but it's done well and the Rifts and invasions spice things up a lot.

I think mmorpg's have pretty much hit their wall for innovation, much like the automobile industry. Once you had the four wheels, engine, seats..and such...not much more you can do to a car cept add features.

That is where the mmorpg industry is at.

Improve graphics..add features, but the basic gameplay will remain more or less...the same. If you don't like it, then stop playing mmorpg's...simple as that.

I'm confident that years from now Rift will be huge with tons of features..it will rival WoW 2-3 years down the road.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I totally disagree with OP.

I´m loving the game.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Thamoris

I'm confident that years from now Rift will be huge with tons of features..it will rival WoW 2-3 years down the road.

Sorry but that will not happen, no matter how much you wish for it.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Originally posted by wildtalent

Did he just say clerics can't tank in rift? clearly this is either a troll or this guy hasn't played the game at all.  

Indeed.

Clerics are my favourite tanks in Rift  :)

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

The game is a lot of fun. Some people like it some don't, but I'm in the former group. It's probably going to be the game that holds me over until SWTOR.

• HyperbeamHyperbeam Member Posts: 124

I would say a timeline of events would be thus:

-Guy gets Rift, plays it till lv12 but gets bored around that level, (I can get that I was fed up with it around then as well.)

-Hear's from someone/somewhere that a certain combination is over powered and allows you to, 'pwnnubs'. As he's primary motivation for playing an MMO is superiority over others, decides to grind he's way through a game he doesn't like.

-Grinds the hell out of , (much like some people are fed up with Wow but that if they grind out rep with factions for a feeling of accomplishment), gets to 50 and works up to rank 5, probably happy noone has a hope against he's OPness.

-Trion recognise the errors there, or another combination is, 'spec of the month', and nerfs accrodingly. 

-Guy rages as he now is less effective and it dawns on him that he's wasted the last few weeks on a game he's doesn't like. (Refer to the 'pwningnubs', section).

-However in he's mind it's not he's fault, it's Trion and MMORPG.com for not telling him the, 'massive', flaws with this game, hence whine post here.

-If he reads this comment, he'll point out I have no signature with a RIFT PvP superduper character on it so I'm not allowed to question he's clearly 'superior', opinion.

/done :P

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Originally posted by Scambug

Originally posted by Thamoris

I'm having a lot of fun playing Rift.

Sure...it's nothing much different than what's already out there, but it's done well and the Rifts and invasions spice things up a lot.

I think mmorpg's have pretty much hit their wall for innovation, much like the automobile industry. Once you had the four wheels, engine, seats..and such...not much more you can do to a car cept add features.

That is where the mmorpg industry is at.

Improve graphics..add features, but the basic gameplay will remain more or less...the same. If you don't like it, then stop playing mmorpg's...simple as that.

Well being hopeful doesn't hurt but what I think will happen, realistically, is it'll go F2P before the end of next year. Once SWTOR and GW2 are released, I really don't see many people playing this game anymore since to most players, Rift is mainly a filler game.

All games are fillers. What do you mean by that?

Uh ... what do you mean by that?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다