Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Story is Everything

13»

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I would say that people who say that the (single player) story line is everything for an MMORPG really does not get what MMORPGs are or rather they dont realise the potential of MMORPGs. For them MMORPGs are nothing but single/multiple player games played over the internet.

They have not understood that what defines MMORGPs is the Massiveley part.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Yamota
    I would say that people who say that the (single player) story line is everything for an MMORPG really does not get what MMORPGs are or rather they dont realise the potential of MMORPGs. For them MMORPGs are nothing but single/multiple player games played over the internet.
    They have not understood that what defines MMORGPs is the Massiveley part.

The most important parts are *M*RPG actually, but that doesn't have anything to do with storyline either.

multiplayer = you need to group up to achieve something = NO soloplay endcontent
    RPG = you play a character you've defined yourself = you're not forced to play a predefined class

There's not a whole lot of MMORPGs matching the points above. And surely no themepark with classes and mainly soloplay PvE-content matches up with it.

If any MMORPG outthere comes close to the term currently, then it's EvE Online, allthough you can't run around with an avatar so far. Nevertheless the name of your character is way more important there and your actions ofc.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

What I've experienced is that aside from a few games that launched several years ago and which maintain subscription numbers in the millions while offering their own mix or emphasis of heavy pve, heavy pvp or sandboxy nature (WoW, Lineage, Runescape),  they do offer their own story-lines and story archs; they've continued to be successful.

I don't know if Runescape should be mentioned, is it subscription based? If not, you might as well mention Dofus and Farmville. As for Lineage, I don't know, Aion, a themepark MMO, is number 1 MMORPG in Korea for a long time now, and we're talking about the same country that caused Lineage and L2 to have players/subs in the 1-2 million range 5 to 10 years ago by its own. I'd say that MMO gaming is even more popular to date, so a number 1 spot in Korea means it should have as much subs/players as Lineage had, and even more.

My point being, Story has always been included with and as traditional MMO content with new areas or content to explore rather than new features for players to take control of, embrace, and get involved with (which I think creates more value for the game and avatar or community growth).  Story will be entertaining for some, but I personally never and personally never saw the mass exodus from other mmorpgs in the last 6-years due to "lack of story".

While WoW and probably Lineage and Runescape had story just like other MMO's of the past have had, its story didn't play that much of a role, it wasn't that actively infused into the game. That is, for WoW until recently that is: CATA showed a more story focused means of questing.

Besides, we're not talking about story as in lore or plotlines, but we're talking about an upgrade or revamp of the quest leveling mechanics.

It is the single most determining identifier and important leveling means for themepark MMORPG's. However, the quality of questing in MMORPG's have infamously been less than experienced in singleplayer games, even if it was such an important feature in themepark MMO's. MMO gamers spend a very large part of their 150-250 hours of leveling to level cap doing quests. So if devs improve upon that part of MMO gaming by infusing more storytelling and story immersion into the questing experience, then I can only see that as an improvement.

Especially since it's such a core part - but certainly not the only important part - of an MMORPG.

But I dont really see it that way, and history has been bearing it out. 

I think that leveling mechanics due to story just offers more of the same content, not more features.  mmorpgs have been sorely lacking massively-multiplayer community and player-centric features, rather than cries for story-driven content as an affront to immersion.  My bet is that story-driven content is just going to accentuate what we have already experienced, more linear content that becomes nothing more than yet another quest as a means to a leveling number and gear aquisition.  Nothing with breadth and depth of massively-multiplayer features that is community or player enriching.

And these same mmo gamers that are spending a very large chunk of their time leveing through these content quests are not doing it for long in the same game, since the vast majority of them over the past several years are bailing shortly on game after game following growing tired of just doing that for more redundant content.

This has been a major debate for a long time, particularly heightened by GW2, SWTOR and now this news discussion about TSW and their seemingly development emphasis on Story relating to immersion; is that the reason why 75% of the players that origonally purchased subscription-based mmorpg box over the last several years have left 3-6 months to a year out?  I think not.

• Thoth-AmonThoth-Amon Member Posts: 91

stories great but so is quality and good game support. given the total fail of AoC I wouldnt give these guys another cent.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

less blabla - more gold-status

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I guess I'd call this "an interactive fantasy novel". This seems to becoming a popular theme with new online games. To actually have a novel where you become part of that novel. What you do, say, interact with characters in the novel(game) all change the way the novel presents itself to you. Changing what you do, say, or interact, changes the novel into something new.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by elistrange

I will buy this game, and then give it a go. I could easily see this game becoming my new game, because I am a huge fan of Lovecraft, Poe, Conspiracy crap, and all the other things this game is pulling inspiration from. I loved 7th Guest, Myst, and all those puzzle games. I also enjoy a good rough and tumble PVP experience. But who knows, it could just suck. Bottom line though is that I will be buying. 

Haha! Well said; I really hope it is a true 3 faction game. The sources for the lore are innumerable and they are spoilt for orginal stories to be fashioned out of this stuff.

• delith21bdelith21b Member Posts: 9

well you might need story to make the game good for you... For me, I really dont care.. give me some monsters to kill, some good loot to find and im happy..  having to stand there and read or listen to a story just gets annoying... just wanna hit the skip button and get back to playing..

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

you guys are something else.  ragnar has never messed up, its been pointed out to you, and you just ignore it because that information totally screws up your plans of bitter about something ragnar had absolutely nothing to do with in the first place.

nice!

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

Originally posted by delith21b

well you might need story to make the game good for you... For me, I really dont care.. give me some monsters to kill, some good loot to find and im happy..  having to stand there and read or listen to a story just gets annoying... just wanna hit the skip button and get back to playing..

Im with you, if i wanted to watch a movie id turn on the TV. I want to make my own story.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Can't say I agree. The two games I stuck with longest, City of Heroes and Ragnarok Online, I never knew the story about any of it. Hell I don't even remember the names of the important NPCs. What I do remember is all the fun I had with the enjoyable combat (for its time), the fun I had with guild mates, the art style which I adored, etc. I've never been the type to sit and read quest text. It's not for lack of trying either, it's just so damn boring.

The storyline needs to be cinematic; it needs to be weaved into the gameplay. If I have to stop playing to watch it happen, I'm not interested. Cinematics are fine (as long as they're skippable, don't need to watch them over and over again on alts) but otherwise, just give me something to kill.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Sounds interesting and I love the negativity already being posted for a game by folks who say they won't play it. That alone means the devs are on the right path. I won't be following it's development as I want it to remain a mystery until the day comes it's live and I decide whether to play it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by delith21b

I agree,i mean look at it in a real life sense,who walks around and says to his or her friend "you know what would be exciting right now?" "Let's read a book".Umm no uhuh ain't happening.What people DO for excitement is sometimes go to watch a movie,this is why we need animation/graphics/effects in games,it is almost like simulating a movie atmosphere.I really find it hard to belive there is more than a handful that think we need a story to make a game exciting.

Look at sports ,tons of people find sports exciting and their is only one simple storyline,to win or to have fun,much like gaming.

This is a roleplaying game atmosphere,the focus SHOULD be on YOU ,your player,not some story.This actually brings in the debate about weather a themepark is better than a game that just gives us the tools to mould into a game.I honestly believe if we are going to call this a RPG,each player should have the tools to mould his/her roleplaying atmosphere,themeparks ,do not do that.

A story driven game is like a single player game and everyone is forced into an identical RPG experience.I think this is why so many have clung to the simplest form of gaming>>>RAIDING.They are bored stiff of following some story line that plays out the exact same way for everyone.What is everyone doing in these games?They are actually trying to speed through ,past that storyline,because they really do not care about it.

Story driven games are meant to be finished in said hours and file it away,games with tools could live on forever,just needing graphic updates.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nefermornefermor Member Posts: 70

If they do a nice job of polishing up the player models this could be really fun. 

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Still rember Age of Conan very well together with their 'nazist' forum policies.

The reviwer might say "story is everything", but looking to the past of Funcom, the way they cheated the players in their last poor atempt of an mmo, the total dishonesty of launching a game advertising features that were not implemented [ dx 10 at the time.. total hilarious].. id say, "Funcom is everything".

This new mmo will be just another way to sack some cash form the players looking for a new mmo, with marketing and more marketing backing up the lies. nothing new.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Still rember Age of Conan very well together with their 'nazist' forum policies.

The reviwer might say "story is everything", but looking to the past of Funcom, the way they cheated the players in their last poor atempt of an mmo, the total dishonesty of launching a game advertising features that were not implemented [ dx 10 at the time.. total hilarious].. id say, "Funcom is everything".

This new mmo will be just another way to sack some cash form the players looking for a new mmo, with marketing and more marketing backing up the lies. nothing new.

The funny bit about posts like this is that they almost tempt me to go subscribe to AoC and see how it is today (compared to how it was when I first played it.