Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Come June: This MMORPG Will Shock You All.

Comments

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Joarnaj

This sounds cool until you start thinking about the logistics. In the tour written by the "player" (yeah, right) he gets a more or less random team together one day and they go on this long adventure with very little action and lots and lots of talk. Now, the talk is all cool, at least from the perspective of the "player," but let's face it... to get immersed in a story like this you'd have to have a team of very quick witted and creative people who can write a good yarn of their own. If your random party is full of average people like me, not so much. Hey - I can write a good story myself, but it takes time. My in game chat tends to be less rp and more about gameplay.

So after what sounds like hours of talking, searching, walking, tracking, interrogating, watching, hiding, and killing 10 people, they run out of time. And this is where it gets tricky. NOW you have a random group of people who need to get back together again sometime to finish this quest. It is difficult to keep a random group of people together for 2 hours, let alone meet up again at some pre-determined time. Heck, it can be difficult to get 10 people to meet up at a regular time once per week for a raid everyone is working on. Getting random people to come back to complete your adventure is supposed to just happen like that? Or is this something that all of these people in this group now have to complete? Now you have a bunch of random people who will likely not be completing this quest together looking for groups of other random people to help save this kid. And I wonder - will everyone in the game end up having to save this kid? If so, that kind of takes some of the novelty out of it right there. And is it repeatable? Did shadow magic girl know that they were being tracked because she'd done it before and you always get tracked? To me it all sound way too good to be true, way too slow-paced to be good, way too dependent on a very engaging and creative player base to work.

And, btw, everything the "player" described sounded like it was in a giant (rather tedious) instance. Personally, I have no problem with instanced adventures but it sure bugs the crap out of a lot of the mmo community - especially the rp market which seems to be what this game is targeting.

All quests are localised so you can play in your reflected world; a world reflected world instance or wherever. All NPCs have real lifes if you do not wish to wander and have pre made fun. You can also just be a boring sod and rattle through quests.

The real thing here is that if you develop your charachter properly and actually play in the game world you will have a much better game experience and this is what COS is all about.

The game generates NPCs that are part of only your storyline and unique to your world instance; And uyour charachter.

The quests that generate against yourslf are based on the list of NPCs that make up your world not other players. These NPCs get generated based on your faction ratings ... So a lot of the game is about fighting certain factions and people who want that faction will be more than happy to tag along if you a have a quest associated with this.

The concept is fantastic , you get a real world thrown in as well. Not some excuuse for a world with linmear gameplay.

The system they have eveloped for generating the NPCs if it works will revolutionise the MMO world for sure.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Looks like heavy crap.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Being able to write a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book jus doesn;t sound like fun to me.  Plus, games like this promise the world, stagnate in development for years and then die a slow, bug ridden death.  I'm not going to be buying an indie game anytime again soon thanks the the real winners they've released over the past few years an this one seems just like all of the others. 

The best thing they can do is not release the game, wait for a major (and I mean MAJOR) publisher to take an interest and then re-design it.  It's like a self-publishing book company, you may make millions, or your book could be horrible and you'll shoot your career in the foot with your first attempt.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I think some of you are being a bit too harsh.

Not entirely "off" but harsh.

Look, I don't like the graphics/art design either and it does look dated. But this is a small indy company that is trying to do something different. We need these guys.

We just do.

Big companies won't push the envelope if there aren't huge profits to be made. And we don't really have a plethora of indy titles that are screaming "we can fill this niche".

Unfortunately this game will probably not attract huge numbers because it does look dated. However, from my recent experience with EQ (original flavor not cookies and cream) I can say that after a short while, if one allows oneself to become immersed, one can forget that the graphics are dated and take what the game offers "as is".

I really hope this game does well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Sovrath

Look, I don't like the graphics/art design either and it does look dated. But this is a small indy company that is trying to do something different. We need these guys.

We just do.

Big companies won't push the envelope if there aren't huge profits to be made. And we don't really have a plethora of indy titles that are screaming "we can fill this niche".

Unfortunately this game will probably not attract huge numbers because it does look dated. However, from my recent experience with EQ (original flavor not cookies and cream) I can say that after a short while, if one allows oneself to become immersed, one can forget that the graphics are dated and take what the game offers "as is".

Look at some of the indie games that have come out recently - they range from "meh" to "gouge your eyes out with a wooden spoon".

Darkfall, Linkrealms, Fallen Earth, Mortal Online, Xsyon... even at their best, they're just average and calling this game average would seem to be a compliment.

We don't need another developer/game like this - we need someone with money, skill, a technical crew and resources to back a new title to release a different style MMO.  Fallout Online, Grand Theft Auto online... games like that, that already have some recognition and following are the ones we need to see being created.  Not an independent title no one's heard about taking place in a world no one cares about.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

The hazards of being so enthusiastic about a game.

This person is making the most ardent fan for one of the big upcoming AAA titles sound like the very picture of restraint.

That much hyperbole is only going to get people to scoff.  This isn't a company with a strong reputation (Like Bioware, CCP or heck, even Arenanet), and it just doesn't look amazing.

Any talk about features it WILL have is just that.  Talk.  People didn't believe anything Arenanet said until they brought out demos, and even AFTER the demos, a lot of people don't believe them.

So a complete unknown... yeah.  Well, we'll see at E3 just how right this person is, but I'm not holding my breath.

• NeerDoWellNeerDoWell Member Posts: 184

Oops image

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

• NeerDoWellNeerDoWell Member Posts: 184

Originally posted by sayuri2006

It is OK though, you will ALL be proven wrong come E3 time in June.

I will eat my own words if I am proven wrong.

I just invented flavored ink. NO ONE STEAL IT!

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Robert_S4

It is OK though, you will ALL be proven wrong come E3 time in June.

I will eat my own words if I am proven wrong.

When I started reading your thread I knew at once that it was Citadel of Sorcery you were talking about.

I have personally been following this game for several years now and I'm looking forward to it.

Now, sayuri2006, the problem here, is that people do not understand that the game is in it's early alpha stages still, there will be tons of changes before the game actually comes out, the game might not come out in 2 or 3 years still, it all depends.

What MMO Magic has been kind enough to do, is let out screenshot from the earliest builds available, yes, it looks like crap, but at least they are showing us something and not covering things up because it looks bad.

Todays gamers can't handle stuff like that though, and if they do see it, they react just as they have done in this thread, it's a given really, it's to be expected.

One of the developers posted, at least in the past, quite frequently in the forum for the game on this site, I have also sent in a bit of things on their site directly and gotten great answers.

This won't be your typical MMO game for the masses, this is going to be something entirely different.

So I believe that, if you are stuck with your head up the ass of WoW, you aren't really gonna enjoy playing Citadel of Sorcery, it's just a hunch I got.

For those firm WoW gamers that doesn't touch much else I mean.

But we have quite a bit of different types of people browsing this website, so only time will tell.

The problem with their approach isn't vision, talent or imagination, they have more than enough of those from all that I've seen.  Its more a matter of timing, content, and cost.  Lord only knows what it has cost them to get their project this far.  Yet as it stands, they are still looking at years more of development.  Given the current economic situation, what publisher is going to take such a wild chance on a game thats still years away from launch? 

Sure, if they can come even close to their goals, it will have a big impact on this section of the market. But is the Return On Investment there for a publisher? These types of experiments can well be revolutionary, but they are also highly dangerous in terms of investment.  Lets see what happens at E3.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by Gajari

April fools ended 7 hours, 20 minutes and 6 seconds before this post. A bit late, dood. :(

ROFL

Originally posted by D_TOX

Looks like something from the early 90's. 

lol

Hate to sound like the skeptic naysayer here but, talk and a few screenshots is cheap, everytime I hear "revolutionary" and it's an indie developer I automatically assume some Darkfall, MO, Xsyon or some other failproject. Bests wishes to them but it takes quite alot to penetrate the market today. The most revolutionary I see today with good odds of pulling it off is ArcheAge.

• khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756

We just do.

I'd completely agree with this. I think the big mistake happening here is that they're really promising more than they could deliver. No, this game will not shock me, it's not going to be a runaway success, its not going to change the face of the MMO industry. It just won't. It's indie and amateur.

That being said, we really do need these small groups pushing the limits of design and gameplay. It looks like they're trying some new things, and I think that's great. Just don't go around saying its going to be the greatest game ever. It won't, and no one will take you seriously.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by Isane

All quests are localised so you can play in your reflected world; a world reflected world instance or wherever. All NPCs have real lifes if you do not wish to wander and have pre made fun. You can also just be a boring sod and rattle through quests.

The real thing here is that if you develop your charachter properly and actually play in the game world you will have a much better game experience and this is what COS is all about.

The game generates NPCs that are part of only your storyline and unique to your world instance; And uyour charachter.

The quests that generate against yourslf are based on the list of NPCs that make up your world not other players. These NPCs get generated based on your faction ratings ... So a lot of the game is about fighting certain factions and people who want that faction will be more than happy to tag along if you a have a quest associated with this.

The concept is fantastic , you get a real world thrown in as well. Not some excuuse for a world with linmear gameplay.

The system they have eveloped for generating the NPCs if it works will revolutionise the MMO world for sure.

That's not even possible. Somebody still has to write the story. Are you trying to tell me that every player has his own personal story writer or are you implying that a computer can create stories for me out of thin air based soley on what it sees me doing in the game? At best it would be that the kid I save has a different name and different looks than the kid somebody else saves. I suppose they could randomize it a bit. The quest giver might be in a different location and the kid might be in a different tower than someone else's kid, but other people are still going to have to save the kid and other people are still going to end up at this tower.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Gajari

April fools ended 7 hours, 20 minutes and 6 seconds before this post. A bit late, dood. :(

i was gonna answer just this..... lol

that sorcery citadel thing looks horribad

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

That's not even possible. Somebody still has to write the story. Are you trying to tell me that every player has his own personal story writer or are you implying that a computer can create stories for me out of thin air based soley on what it sees me doing in the game? At best it would be that the kid I save has a different name and different looks than the kid somebody else saves. I suppose they could randomize it a bit. The quest giver might be in a different location and the kid might be in a different tower than someone else's kid, but other people are still going to have to save the kid and other people are still going to end up at this tower.

It probably means that the stories will be set up like Mad Libs.

Now that you've stolen objective, you must go to place and kill the rank of faction in order to steal his item and aid the war on faction. Come back here and receive your reward.

This MMO will be like 90% of the other low-key Indie titles. Delayed for a good two years, launching with none of the features intact, and remaining alive because there's only one developer still working on it after a year.

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

This quiet MMORPG is ready to explode at E3 and what it will reveal will make everyone wonder why MMORPGs can not be like this one. Using more than 7 years of technological advancement in game development tools and ideas flowing from a center mass of a powerful questing tool, at E3 they will deliver. It will make the GW2 opening at Gamescom look like a patch update to an existing MMORPG. They are promising everything and they have nothing to lose. This is perhaps why they have stayed quiet and under the radar for so long, watching the rest following the normalised standard of static "grocery list" quest based MMORPGs that exist today.

Players that are looking at the evolution of SW:TOR or GW2, Archeage or perhaps TERA I encourage you to check out what this game is promising to deliver if you haven't already.

Who knows what we will see at E3 but like they said, once they have a publisher sorted, release is not too far away from that point. Check out these for more information:

http://www.mmomagic.com/NewsDetail.php?newsID=120

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/

If it doesn't have RVR and destructible assets, then I don't care what it does - it will never be the game for me.

Originally posted by Lerxst

Being able to write a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book jus doesn;t sound like fun to me.  Plus, games like this promise the world, stagnate in development for years and then die a slow, bug ridden death.  I'm not going to be buying an indie game anytime again soon thanks the the real winners they've released over the past few years an this one seems just like all of the others. 

The best thing they can do is not release the game, wait for a major (and I mean MAJOR) publisher to take an interest and then re-design it.  It's like a self-publishing book company, you may make millions, or your book could be horrible and you'll shoot your career in the foot with your first attempt.

You really haven't got a clue who is behind this game.

It isn't write your own adventure but the quest system is intuitive; The code from my understanding and from what the Devs here have said is pretty much done. They are now at the build stage with the world in place.

Sorry that you don't like the concept here but in reality it is perfect for an MMORPG for anyone who really undestands.

I think the best think you could do is grow up a little; And give people who are putting a lot of effort in at least a chance.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by nolf

YES! Happy April Fools!

No, seriously, this is no joke. What u must realise is that COS has been in development with graphics as placeholders for the time being, like the crap pictures u see on their website. Those graphics are from a very early prototype and do no justice to how they must look today. If you go through the COS forums on mmorpg.com, one of the devs states that the game's graphics shown on their website has completely changed. Anyhow, if you can look past the graphics and see the rest, it makes for some very promising ideas in MMORPG creation and player interaction.

It isn't so much the visuals that are the joke, but that they are MMO Dev Team #54131 to claim to be doing everything differently and "revolutionizing" the way we play these games.  I will believe it when I see it.

Hype is irrelevant, as are pre-launch promises when it comes to what a game actually has to offer its players.  That doesn't mean that what is being promised isn't good or welcomed, it just means that we (as a community) have heard it all before.

Let the game speak for itself upon release.  Back to the visuals.  You're going to find it hard for anyone here to take it seriously before they update their site beyond the placeholder art.  I'm not one to put visuals over gameplay (hell I started this genre in UO, I don't need no stinking graphics), but something that looks like COS's site does and claims to be the MMO Holy Grail is going to get laughed at.

That and the "tour" was mindnumbingly boring.  Seems like the game writes a lot of your character for you, which I don't mind in a SPRPG, but in an MMO my toon's life (from birth to death and beyond) is ALL MINE! muhahahaha

Nolf,

I can completely understand your reservations and concerns, hell we all do. I was part of the "Dark and Light" fiasco; a world so beyond it's time in potential that had players calling it the holy grail at the time. Little did we know that it was a beautiful and HUGE world but with little MMORPG qualities. It was a dark age indeed.

What u must understand though is that not only is poor hype a killer but hype needs to be for a good reason and it must be shown. Just like how after the unveiling of GW 2 at Gamescom, the GW 2 scene was something people had seen; they could believe in it. Players could see their direction is a step in the revolution in immersive MMORPG gaming. The hype after the convention was astounding and it still continues today.

I believe this June at E3, people will actually see COS. They shred their doubts, but most of all, thousands will see COS for the first time.

Their website will get updated shortly. They will be giving us new pictures of the actual prototype they are working on, now that they will have chosen their planet and have all their toolsets ready for algorithm processing.

In terms of your SPRPG VS MMORPG aspects, it has and always will be up to the player whether or not he/she wants to group with players. Forced grouping is superficial and not fun. COS will offer choice, but like how GW 2 devs states players will want to group not because they need to but because the gameplay will make it more fun to able to. Then again, you may not want to group with anyone if you have only 30 mins to play one night, so the choice is yours.

Like I said, the proof is in the pudding and we will see.

Hey I'm not hating on it, thats for sure.  If it actually delivers what it promises, I will sure as hell play it.  But as I said earlier, I will believe it when I see it.  I always root for the innovative underdogs when it comes to MMOs (much to my chagrin).

As far as SPRPG vs MMORPG, I'm not sure you read what I said beyond seeing the two groupings of letters.  I'm not worried about group/solo aspects.  I'm worried about my charcter being pre-written.  I'm all for an engrosing, pre-written (maybe not pre-determined, but the possibilities are written) and story-driven game.  But only in SP.  But that being said, if these guys happen to be the first developers ever to deliver fully on their ideas, I would probably play the shit out of it anyway.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

Every player has his own main storyline that will actually end as a chapter .

I am not trying to tell you anything I am saying you Have your own Story. Your actions from day one will impact the way you get to the end of the chapter. And will play out to a greater extent in your own instance of the World.

That is one of the key aims of the Developers here. I don't really care what you think is or is not possible, it is what the Developers think is possible that interests me and the way they are developing and structuring this game makes a lot of sense and in no way seems impossible. 

The World does not end ever and you can develop skills as you see fit while new plot lines and chapters are developed.

Lets see if they have got the world up and running as this is their current main goal; If it can grow itself then one of their key systems is in place and they are acheiving what people have doubted.

For me I love this design concept and regardless of the naysayers it is a good discussion point ; Sadly I do not live in a world filled with negativity so my focus is positive because thats what is interesting.

Even if the game does not fly the ideas concepts and approach here can only be good for a genre that is generally on rails and game in a week and has no longevity or variety. COS plays against this so it is worth a thought or two.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Every player has his own main storyline that will actually end as a chapter .

I am not trying to tell you anything I am saying you Have your own Story. Your actions from day one will impact the way you get to the end of the chapter. And will play out to a greater extent in your own instance of the World.

That is one of the key aims of the Developers here. I don't really care what you think is or is not possible, it is what the Developers think is possible that interests me and the way they are developing and structuring this game makes a lot of sense and in no way seems impossible. 

The World does not end ever and you can develop skills as you see fit while new plot lines and chapters are developed.

Lets see if they have got the world up and running as this is their current main goal; If it can grow itself then one of their key systems is in place and they are acheiving what people have doubted.

For me I love this design concept and regardless of the naysayers it is a good discussion point ; Sadly I do not live in a world filled with negativity so my focus is positive because thats what is interesting.

Even if the game does not fly the ideas concepts and approach here can only be good for a genre that is generally on rails and game in a week and has no longevity or variety. COS plays against this so it is worth a thought or two.

So its a standalone rpg?

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by Robert_S4

Originally posted by nolf

ItThat and the "tour" was mindnumbingly boring.  Seems like the game writes a lot of your character for you, which I don't mind in a SPRPG, but in an MMO my toon's life (from birth to death and beyond) is ALL MINE! muhahahaha

That the tour is "boring", is pretty much subjective and up to each and every person.

Everything written on this site is completely subjective, that's pretty much a given. =)

Citadel of Sorcery will be a real story MMO game, I don't know about you, but I have yet to see one.

I haven't seen a story-driven MMO either, but how long will we be able to say that?  Both TOR and GW2 are currently making a lot of promises with the word "story" in them. 

I'm not hyped up about Citadel of Sorcery, but I believe in the development team, I believe that they are able to pull it off.

I hope you're right!  Every time someone claims to be re-inventing the wheel, you've got folks who believe it will be done and folks who seem to enjoy watching it crash and burn more than anything.  Me personally, I'd love to see them do what they're setting out to do.  History in these matters makes me skeptical, though.

In the end, time will tell.

Thats really the bottom line.  Lets hope they get to and survive launch, and we find a game worthy of years of play.

Fact is at least, that most of todays MMO games in difference to a lot of offline games and what they have to offer, is pure crap.

Thinking games that go a bit back then, the stuff that got tossed since the last couple of years or so, mostly seem all about spinning the money wheel of fortune for the companies that makes those games.

No kidding!

There's a few golden pearls though, but I guess that's how it's usually been since the beginning :)

True!

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

alright guys.. this thread was fun.. lets go back to the ArcheAge forums now.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

What u must understand though is that not only is poor hype a killer but hype needs to be for a good reason and it must be shown. Just like how after the unveiling of GW 2 at Gamescom, the GW 2 scene was something people had seen; they could believe in it. Players could see their direction is a step in the revolution in immersive MMORPG gaming. The hype after the convention was astounding and it still continues today.

New, independent developer makes fantastic claims of how their upcoming game will revolutionize everything.  Now, where have I heard that before?

There's one huge difference between ArenaNet and MMO Magic:  ArenaNet has done it before.  When ArenaNet promises to do some things differently and make it work, it's credible or at least highly plausible because they've done so in the past.  When some new company without that track record makes the same claims, well, maybe they'll deliver what they promised, or maybe they'll have a quirky game that is different but not exactly good, or maybe it will be a catastrophic failure.

• Robert_S4Robert_S4 Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by Timukas

Should we say that this game is The Real WoW Killer? 

Has nothing to do about being a WoW killer or not. It has to do with something down the line of a company actually coming out, providing decent gameplay for the kind of people that wants decent gameplay.

Right now, it seems most MMO gamers want bad gameplay, that's up to them though.

If the game gets a healthy population then that's all it needs. I know for certain that I do not want to sit within a game like that with millions of WoW jerks that acts like fools. This game (hopefully) won't attract those kinds of people either.

Calling out "WoW killer" is just plain trolling by the way and brings nothing constructive at all to the conversation at hand.

The people and the friends that we have lost, and the dreams that have faded, never forget them~

• Robert_S4Robert_S4 Member Posts: 142

I'm just glad there are at least a few positive minds posting in this thread, like nolf and Isane just to name a couple.

In the end it's all down to what each and every person is looking for in a game.

When it comes to Citadel of Sorcery I'm just looking forward to seeing if the game holds water when it comes to the things the developers say it will do.

Not expecting everyone to feel that way regardless of what I've posted though, but it might help make the world (and forums) a bit of a better place if we toss around a bit of positivity and constructive thoughts / ideas.

On many, that's a lost hope though, but I keep smiling anyway, because I can! :)

Edit: Besides, many people don't even know what the heck Citadel of Sorcery stands for, even after they have checked out the website.

If we can believe it or not is a different thing entirely, I'm merely thinking in difference to what the game stands for so far.

The people and the friends that we have lost, and the dreams that have faded, never forget them~

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I'm interested.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter