Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our gear now is settling in a pretty good state, in my opinion.-DamionSchubert

2»

Comments

• personally i don't think they will release all the planets on the website before launch. i think some may get held back as a suprise.  they did say recently that not everything would be revealed before launch(i think it was said at pax east).

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by BarCrow

I hope SW:TOR companions have smarter A.I and are more useful than STO Bridge Officers.

I'll be hoping this as well. While I think using companions in this fashion was an interesting concept, they drove me nuts in STO. I'm willing to take a "wait and see" approach with TOR since Cryptic is not making this game and so far it seems like I won't have to use more than one on most missions.  

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Originally posted by ktanner3

I hope SW:TOR companions have smarter A.I and are more useful than STO Bridge Officers.

I'll be hoping this as well. While I think using companions in this fashion was an interesting concept, they drove me nuts in STO. I'm willing to take a "wait and see" approach with TOR since Cryptic is not making this game and so far it seems like I won't have to use more than one on most missions.  

well wont be able to use more than one at a time in tor

• ArentasArentas Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by Arentas

Originally posted by Elikal

And why not? CoX and CO are entirely independent of gear drop making a visual change. You could add gear with mere stats like in the case of CO if you really need an grind to keep people playing, and open up the customization look in the char generation.

Probably because they want this game to be successful.

Uhm . . . CoX is successful, though CO might be debatable with it going FTP and all.  For Elikal though, CoX does have gear drops to make visual changes to costumes.  They are called Costume Recipes and even require you to gather "ingredients" from drops in order to craft them.  Thanksfully in that game though, once you craft them, you can use them for ever!

CoX is not successful when you compare it to a Bioware/EA MMORPG ventures expectations.  Lets not be stupid.

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by ktanner3

well wont be able to use more than one at a time in tor

Good. I'd prefer to spend my time playing the game than having to run back and unstick a companion.  :)

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Translation " instead of adding things actually relevant to Star Wars, like oh say, space travel we at EA/Bioware have spent most of the games development creating raid gear so that you can chase carrots for two years before our next expansion."

Sigh.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

And why not? CoX and CO are entirely independent of gear drop making a visual change. You could add gear with mere stats like in the case of CO if you really need an grind to keep people playing, and open up the customization look in the char generation.

Uhm . . . CoX is successful, though CO might be debatable with it going FTP and all.  For Elikal though, CoX does have gear drops to make visual changes to costumes.  They are called Costume Recipes and even require you to gather "ingredients" from drops in order to craft them.  Thanksfully in that game though, once you craft them, you can use them for ever!

CoX is not successful when you compare it to a Bioware/EA MMORPG ventures expectations.  Lets not be stupid.

I see, so making a decent enough profit to keep the game regularly supplied with free updates is not successful.  Got it.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Faelsun

Translation " instead of adding things actually relevant to Star Wars, like oh say, space travel we at EA/Bioware have spent most of the games development creating raid gear so that you can chase carrots for two years before our next expansion."

Sigh.

Agree.It would be interesting to hear from them about how often they plan to release new content,i hope they don't copy the blizz way of making people pay for subscription only to get a few instances and raids for 2 years until next expansion.

Originally posted by whilan

Well they stated there are multiple ways of getting gear in this game, here are just 3 ways you can get gear.

Raiding: this is the normal way of getting gear in most MMOs.

PvP: You can PvP to get special items to turn into a person to get gear.

Crafting: You can craft your gear.  This will most likely require you to get items from other proffesion as well.

Note: it's important to note all 3 of these ways can get you to end-game gear.  So a person could craft gear that will be good for people at end-game

I'm not sure on the crafting end but they stated Raiding gear and PvP would look different.

Crafting might not get you levels as far as i know (would be cool if crafting things gives you exp) but PvP certainly does, so if you wanted you could simply do PvP the entire time and still hit end-game

Thanks for the reply but for me the problem is the balance in quality between those items.In a pve only game i would not care much but in pvp it can be game breaking and until the game is out i doubt anyone can say if all those ways to get gear are equal or it will be the classic raiding end-game for any decent item.The way they talk so much lately about raids and gear is disturbing.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I think Bioware is taking turns actually.  They talked mostly about the story element to death really (people got literally tired of hearing about it)

Then they switched to grouping/raiding, they will probably do the same here. Talk about it alot then switch to something else.

Hints are at it being the pvp next, but nothing seems offical.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Sigh.

Correction, the correct translation is: "we have spent most of the games development creating a world that is larger than WoW and LotrO in their current expanded state combined, have created so much story and questing content that you'd easily be more than 2000+ hours  busy trying to experience it all and that's on top of all the other MMO features SWTOR has, and if that wasn't large enough, we also created more gear than a lot of other MMO's have as total available loot."

Let's at least be honest: as you repeatedly stated in former posts you passionately dislike themepark MMO's, so it doesn't matter what announcement they'll make, it won't stop you from disliking the game and trying to keep hammering on any flaws you'll perceive. Why? Because as you made clear in other comments of yours, it's the very game design and MMO subgenre that SWTOR belongs to that you dislike.

Now, am I right or am I right? image

Originally posted by eldaris

It would be interesting to hear from them about how often they plan to release new content,i hope they don't copy the blizz way of making people pay for subscription only to get a few instances and raids for 2 years until next expansion.

Thanks for the reply but for me the problem is the balance in quality between those items.In a pve only game i would not care much but in pvp it can be game breaking and until the game is out i doubt anyone can say if all those ways to get gear are equal or it will be the classic raiding end-game for any decent item.The way they talk so much lately about raids and gear is disturbing.

Regarding gear, devs mentioned that the gear that the top crafters can make equals the very best you could find via raids. They wanted it to be possible that being the best in a craft would actually mean something, and that it wasn't a side thing, or something that everyone can reach just like that.

As for content, while it's unknown how fast expansions will come, it does start to look like SWTOR will ship with more content than any other MMO before did, at least when it comes to all the different forms of story enhanced questing that'll be possible ingame.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Sigh.

Correction, the correct translation is: "we have spent most of the games development creating a world that is larger than WoW and LotrO in their current expanded state combined, have created so much story and questing content that you'd easily be more than 2000+ hours  busy trying to experience it all and that's on top of all the other MMO features SWTOR has, and if that wasn't large enough, we also created more gear than a lot of other MMO's have as total available loot."

Let's at least be honest: as you repeatedly stated in former posts you passionately dislike themepark MMO's, so it doesn't matter what announcement they'll make, it won't stop you from disliking the game and trying to keep hammering on any flaws you'll perceive. Why? Because as you made clear in other comments of yours, it's the very game design and MMO subgenre that SWTOR belongs to that you dislike.

Now, am I right or am I right? image

You're right on the money, hence why his posts should be taken with a very heavy grain of salt.

Regarding gear, devs mentioned that the gear that the top crafters can make equals the very best you could find via raids. They wanted it to be possible that being the best in a craft would actually mean something, and that it wasn't a side thing, or something that everyone can reach just like that.

I will be waiting to see if Bioware lives up to that promise. We've seen other posts by the devs talking up the loot aspect of this game so I hope they don't cave in to the grind hogs who think that only their playstyle deserves access to the best gear.. The best crafters should be able to craft at least on par with what is looted, otherwise the crafting profession is useless.

As for content, while it's unknown how fast expansions will come, it does start to look like SWTOR will ship with more content than any other MMO before did, at least when it comes to all the different forms of story enhanced questing that'll be possible ingame.

This part should be obvious to all. The storyline for the classes alone is more content than I've ever seen other MMOs have at launch and that excites me. I'm curious what happens when we start seeing the first high level classes in game and what the game world will be like at that point. 

• ArentasArentas Member Posts: 76

I see, so making a decent enough profit to keep the game regularly supplied with free updates is not successful.  Got it.

For a Bioware/EA companionship MMO, No... it is not.  This isn't complicated in the very least. 

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

As of right now on the offical sight there is listed 17 planets atm, with a few more left to go. Also they have said that the armor in the tab, as you pull up the loot from dead enemies, will have a specific look that will help denote the class it is for. This is to kill the "It's got this stat, that means I need it." arguments. Which I am cool with, now people want to scream that troopers would be issued their gear and jedi don't loot stuff the order gives it to you. In ideal times yes, but a pan galactic war and being force off your normal command planet to an old one you just rediscovered are not ideal times. In real war soldiers do resort to aquireing things by different means. I have friends who are ex army, in the past wars we have had they took stuff they liberated from the enemy and traded it with guys in the airforce for stuff that they had put onto their weapons in the feild. Back in Vietnam the marines and army liberated things from the airforce all the time because the airforce got resupplied every week.

It's just a fact. In war, especially gorilla war, you have to sometimes use the enemy as an alternate supply line by killing him and taking his stuff. We like to gloss over that, but it is the truth. While the jedi may be a philosophical order if it comes down to a "I must take that sith lords lightsaber to replace my own or be helpless" issue, he is taking the lightsaber.  Also lets not forget the jedi throughout history have on may occasions reclaimed artifacts from sith lords and temples, which was basically grave robing and looting corpses.

So far the game looks, good, they have put in most if not all saber styles for jedi, they have done a lot of work, and the guild cap ships will be in by ship or within the first two updates of shiping.

Also anyone really following ToR will notice it is pulling a wow, in that it is taking the best stuff from GW, WoW, and LoTRo to make the next fusion game. Companions=gw1, Crafting = lotro, with the new "Critical crafting" infomation that got leaked, and WoW for most of the rest. They added in offline play via your companions as well as a undisclosed smart phone tie in.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

For a Bioware/EA companionship MMO, No... it is not.  This isn't complicated in the very least. 

You are right, this is not complicated.  City of Heroes IS profitable and therefore SUCCESSFUL, which directly refutes your earlier claim.  It may not be pulling in the level of income that BioWare/EA want to make, but if SWTOR makes the same level of profit in proportion to CoH, then it will still be profitable and therefore SUCCESSFUL.  Considering how much improved SWTOR is over CoH (IMHO), plus the great IP and Developer involved, I don't see a problem with that happening. 

Now, please stop trying to muck up the waters with your baseless arguing.

For @Ragnaven, I can tell you as a former US Marine of 13 years that you are correct on the "liberating" front.  Officially it is frowned upon of course, but in actuality, you do what you have to to survive and win.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"