Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Jagex Developing Transformers Online

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In The Free Zone today, MMORPG.com columnist Richard Aihoshi takes a look at the recently announced Transformers Online being developed by Jagex. Richard has a few questions about the title and some other thoughts to share. Check it out and then let us know what you think!

In addition, the selection of Jagex is interesting. Its key title is, of course, RuneScape. Although I believe the press release over-stepped considerably in calling it "the world's most popular free-to-play MMOG", it's unquestionably an important factor in the western markets. That said, its success comes largely from tapping a less than hardcore audience including a higher than average proportion of younger players, in part by making it playable on a very wide range of hardware - translation; the visuals are on the retro side. While the age aspect is clearly a fit with the IP, it does raise a question as to the types of play and the level of graphics we can expect.

Read more of Richard Aihoshi's The Free Zone: Jagex Developing Transformers Online.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

wonder if it'll be broswer based.....

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Well, Jagex wouldn't have been my first choice on who to make a Transformers MMO, but, they can't do no worse to the MMO than Michael Bay did to the films. I wish them luck.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• Mark8983Mark8983 Member Posts: 2

How about being an actual journalist next time? I know you're determined to bash RuneScape, just like pretty much every other games journalist, based on playing it once in 2004, but it's an established fact that RuneScape is the world's number one free MMORPG: http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=1386, http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/search/Details/Most-popular-free-MMORPG/71043.htm

• jimbo833jimbo833 Member Posts: 158

could be cool i loved runescape back in the day, makes 90% of every other mmo boring.. looks at wow..

mark that link doesnt work and if its gonig by numbes, would maplestory not win ?

• Mark8983Mark8983 Member Posts: 2

I don't think so, why? 

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Clearly a lack of respect and knowledge shown in regards to Runescape, to say it taps a less than hardcore audience is hilarious.

And to confirm, it is the worlds most popular free MMORPG, holding the current record last updated November 23 2010.

"The largest free MMORPG by userbase is the browser-based fantasy title RuneScape (Jagex, 2001) which has 175,365,991 registered users as of November 23 2010."

• gameshogungameshogun Member UncommonPosts: 105

Right, 175 million "registered" users...  but how many "active" users, PCU, and CCU??

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

I'm thinking something along the lines of Marvel's Superhero Squad. Targeted at a younger audience with players choosing from a selection of existing characters rather than creating their own. Should do fairly well as a f2p game but will certainly disappoint older fans who would have hoped for something more elaborate.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

100 bucks it's gonna be a buggy java mess.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i smell another 2 faction game ala WoW with grind stuffs

So What Now?

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by TweFoju

i smell another 2 faction game ala WoW with grind stuffs

Well, isn't Transformers is basically two factions? So that's to be expected. And Jagex is the undisputed king of grind, so your prediction is likely not terribly wild.

The big question amongst Jagex followers: is this what happened to their game "Mech Scape"/"Stellar Dawn".

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I believe they are still working on Stellar Dawn

• F5MinutesF5Minutes Member Posts: 59

you cant help but feel the writer of this lost his account with all his special goodies on runescape lol, retro graphics!! runescape has some of the best graphics for java, maybe he should try going on runescape for a test run, theres nothing retro about it lol

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

I do not think it is a big miss, I am not sure many are interested in Transformers MMO.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Ex0dUs101

Clearly a lack of respect and knowledge shown in regards to Runescape, to say it taps a less than hardcore audience is hilarious.hehe yea take this thread for example almost 25% of the replies have their panties in a twist over that statement , now that is hardcore image

And to confirm, it is the worlds most popular free MMORPG, holding the current record last updated November 23 2010.

"The largest free MMORPG by userbase is the browser-based fantasy title RuneScape (Jagex, 2001) which has 175,365,991 registered users as of November 23 2010."