Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: An Aggressive Update Planned

13»

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Leviathonlx

Not sure how anyone could be surprised Rift isn't balanced. I could of told you a year ago that it would be impossible to balance 30 'classes' unless they greatly homogenize their game (something which people constantly get on Blizzard for).

I agree, but I'd take an unbalanced game with a character system as complex as Rift's over a balanced game where everyone gets to be the same, hands down.  

I just don't get why they're even trying to balance it, nerfing left and right.  They're just going piss everyone off, and it still won't be balanced, because people will always be finding the best builds.  There will always be weakness to exploit in such a complex system. Hell that's part of the fun of having so many builds.  Especially if you figure something out that isn't FOTM yet, which isn't even possible in most MMOs.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by Leviathonlx

Not sure how anyone could be surprised Rift isn't balanced. I could of told you a year ago that it would be impossible to balance 30 'classes' unless they greatly homogenize their game (something which people constantly get on Blizzard for).

I agree, but I'd take an unbalanced game with a character system as complex as Rift's over a balanced game where everyone gets to be the same, hands down.  

I just don't get why they're even trying to balance it, nerfing left and right.  They're just going piss everyone off, and it still won't be balanced, because people will always be finding the best builds.  There will always be weakness to exploit in such a complex system. Hell that's part of the fun of having so many builds.  Especially if you figure something out that isn't FOTM yet, which isn't even possible in most MMOs.

Well, I suspect they either have grown sick and deathly tired of all of the howling on the forums, or they have come down with a bad case of Ghostcrawlerism... ^^ In other words, they are much more focused on their spread sheets and data mining tools, than whats FUN about the various classes.  Down that path lies a bland, and colorless system that forever attempts to make all classes "equal".  Its the very definition of a fools errand, but all too many Dev's attempt it. 

No matter how "balanced" some classes are, the Usual Suspects will whine and howl on the forums. I say, let them howl to their hearts content!  It is MUCH better to have a game that is FUN, than it is to have one that is "balanced". 

It would be better to let the gankers and griefers find some other pass time, than to waste endless Dev resources on a vain attempt to "balance" the game for PvP.  Pandering to a small section of the western market, to the damage of the over all game, is not a wise course of action.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

I don't think they are trying to balance but rather fix a few things that are out of whack.  You can't have something that is too overpowered like Sabs were.  

Also, everyone needs to stop with this 30 class crap.  There are only a few good classes and builds.  I would bet that 80% of all mages are some combo of Chlor/Lock/Nec/Dom.  Just look at the mage forums.  You don't see anyone asking questions about ANY of the other classes hardly.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by SteamRanger

You know, I almost broke down and ordered a copy of this last night, but came to my senses when I realized that anything worthwhile from this event is only going to drop from the big raids. No thanks. Rift marginalizes soloers pretty much the same as every other MMO. I'll just hang onto my money.

Well I'm sorry to hear that clicking the giant "JOIN PUBLIC GROUP" button is just too difficult for you.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Letsinod

I don't think they are trying to balance but rather fix a few things that are out of whack.  You can't have something that is too overpowered like Sabs were.  

Also, everyone needs to stop with this 30 class crap.  There are only a few good classes and builds.  I would bet that 80% of all mages are some combo of Chlor/Lock/Nec/Dom.  Just look at the mage forums.  You don't see anyone asking questions about ANY of the other classes hardly.

They're not just fixing a few things, they're nerfing quite a lot.  The armor penetration bug needs fixing.  I see a lot of complaining about sabs and riftblades, so maybe they need *a little* adjustment, but not even sure, because I don't play either one, myself.  Does seem like they're going to overdo it.  Paragon ranged attacks?  Bards and Chloromancers group heals?  Void Knights, Paladins and Reavers, FFS?  I think they're getting carried away.

As for the 30 souls, mages make a bad example, because they are broken.  People who play them struggle just to find a build that isn't torture to try to level with.  In the other three callings, I think all the souls are viable.  Sure, some are more FOTM than others, but I see all of them getting used.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by pl3dge

Originally posted by SteamRanger

You know, I almost broke down and ordered a copy of this last night, but came to my senses when I realized that anything worthwhile from this event is only going to drop from the big raids. No thanks. Rift marginalizes soloers pretty much the same as every other MMO. I'll just hang onto my money.

I'm sorry but I don't see why soloers should get anything...

It's an MMO!!!!!!!!! ( MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER )

Why not get a single player RPG if you want to solo for rewards and quests?

I like to solo aswell when I level, but at end game I would hate to be sat around playing alone and would certainly not expect rewards from big events.

It is because we should respect the personal playstyle of everyone.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

The OP's picture reminds me of Morodor from LOTR. YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• JediConsularJediConsular Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by mCalvert

You know what would be cooler, and in the spirit of Rift? Dont tell us when you change content. Other than bug fixes and interface stuff, keep the world surprising and dynamic.

Funny, I submitted that idea to Mythic around the time of Warhammer's launch. Obviously, they didn't think too highly of it (or my several other ideas for that matter). I wonder how that game is doing now?

Sometimes, it does help to listen to your customer base.

My text is green because my posts are created with Willpower!
  • mindrazormindrazor Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by Endo13

Originally posted by Solestran

This is why I despise game developers who won't seperate ability scaling and effects seperately from PvP and PvE.  One almost always screws over the other and as is most often the case, PvP ends up ruining the PvE experience.

I have been saying this for years.

I have a slightly different view on this. I figure that, if a game has a PvP component to it, it is a PvP game and the majority of the balancing should come from that side of things. If that means PvE gets a little harder or forces me to adapt my style then it is okay because it is a PvP game. One of the two has to be primary--as it is nearly impossible to balance both at the same time. There are games out there that are only PvE and are balanced accordingly. Perhaps that would be the right course for some people.