Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: An Aggressive Update Planned

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Calling the 30-day v1.1 patch an 'aggressive' update, the Rift team has published the preview patch notes and produced a write up of the River of Souls event set to begin next week.

You can read the full alpha patch notes here.

You look like Death

Ascended who fight the undead armies heralding the River of Souls will have the chance to appear a bit gaunt and pale themselves. Certain monsters will drop items that transmogrify their owners into one of the living dead. These artifacts work in combat, so the dead won’t know who to fight! Some Ascended will even get to ride like the dead atop a rare Spectral Horse. While the normal steed—usable by Ascended of any level—will only be available during the actual event, the armored version will remain in the game, exclusive to the River of Souls raid.

Read more about the River of Souls event here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

You know what would be cooler, and in the spirit of Rift? Dont tell us when you change content. Other than bug fixes and interface stuff, keep the world surprising and dynamic.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

With the upcoming nerfs to warriors and rogues I'm rapidly losing interest in the game.

The whole reason for me to play any mmo or game is the combat and the skill/ability system.

I loved the fact that you could multi class your roles, now their just pigeon holing everyone because of all the cry babies on forums.

For example I hate playing sab, found him boring, but lots of people loved their ability to play at range and "bomb" people - very unique style of play - but now they've changed the way his charges work and they've killed his range down to 20m.

I can't even log in anymore.

Looking for a new game.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    great game, great patch, sensitive balancing (i am a warrior and i definitley need a nerf :D )

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Endo13Endo13 Member Posts: 187

Originally posted by zigmund

With the upcoming nerfs to warriors and rogues I'm rapidly losing interest in the game.

The whole reason for me to play any mmo or game is the combat and the skill/ability system.

I loved the fact that you could multi class your roles, now their just pigeon holing everyone because of all the cry babies on forums.

For example I hate playing sab, found him boring, but lots of people loved their ability to play at range and "bomb" people - very unique style of play - but now they've changed the way his charges work and they've killed his range down to 20m.

Looking for a new game.

Yeah, the range nerf to Sab is totally uncalled for. The fix to the armor penetration was needed, and I can understand the other nerfs. But Sab does not have the survivability to stand 20 meters away from melee. It was already one of the squishiest souls in the game. Rogues were already some of the weakest DPS in general, and Sab was probably the best DPS soul. And bard also got nerfed. Motif of Bravery can now be replaced by a buff cast by a player's PET, ffs. I was under the impression that motifs were strong because they were on a max 30-second duration that required the player to use valuable GCDs to keep them up. Clearly that's not the case. Also the group heals were not so OP that they should have been nerfed to hit only 5 or 10 players, especially the motif. Not without a concurrent buff to the amount of healing done by them.

I'm not entirely certain there's any role that people will want Rogues to fill now in end-game content.

• DirktoothDirktooth Member Posts: 33

I am a warrior too and deserve the Titan Strike tone down. It does feel very overpowered with Proper Timing for the cirt. Could 1 hit a mage just with that so go figure.

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Looking for a new game.

Sabs will have to spec or point into getting that range. As it should be. It was too far as it is now. (I have a 33 sab)

I have a 50 sab. And you're wrong. Sab's need 30m range every bit as much as any other ranged DPS soul.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Mahlo

Looking for a new game.

Oh the irony!

point for you ;)
    good find :P

Originally posted by Endo13

Looking for a new game.

Sabs will have to spec or point into getting that range. As it should be. It was too far as it is now. (I have a 33 sab)

I have a 50 sab. And you're wrong. Sab's need 30m range every bit as much as any other ranged DPS soul.

no im not because you have 2 other souls to address the sabs weakness. Set traps for your casting area, I spec RS for armor and damage reduction upclose and assas for melee damage. win win;) Sabs were overpowered and everyone knows that. They do crazy damage. Mages had reason to cry foul lol

Right, because there's really poweful survivability stuff in other souls that requires 15 points or less. Abilities that will easily allow a sab to take AOE damage only a tank should be taking, etc. And you know everything about how sabs work in endgame, because OMG, you have a level 33 sab!

Also, I'm never sarcastic.

Sab's weren't the least bit OP at 50, EVEN WITH the broken armor penetration. At 50, a full 5-charge blast charge detonation hits another player for about 10-25% of their health bar. Maybe as much as 50% if it crits, and the player is using garbage gear and has no endurance buffs. This is from a setup that requires 6 GCDs to complete, and does zero damage during setup.

There were two things that needed to be changed in the sab soul:

1. Armor penetration needed to be fixed. (It was bugged. Even so, not really overpowered, but if something is bugged it should be fixed regardless.)

2. Damage at lower levels needed to scale down more.

That is all.

If they wanted to make these changes for PvP only, more power to them. I couldn't care less. But this is a hugely unjustified PvE nerf, that combined with the other sab and bard nerfs renders the rogue class nearly useless for end-game PvE content. The other DPS specs were already underpowered and no one wants a rogue tank for end-game, at least not that I've seen. Bards are now even more out-healed by chloros and their buffs replaced by pets and other classes. Nothing left for a rogue to do. GG Trion.

Also, Bard and Sab BOTH need 30m range. They should have been buffing bard range instead of nerfing sab range.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

You know, I almost broke down and ordered a copy of this last night, but came to my senses when I realized that anything worthwhile from this event is only going to drop from the big raids. No thanks. Rift marginalizes soloers pretty much the same as every other MMO. I'll just hang onto my money.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

Originally posted by SteamRanger

You know, I almost broke down and ordered a copy of this last night, but came to my senses when I realized that anything worthwhile from this event is only going to drop from the big raids. No thanks. Rift marginalizes soloers pretty much the same as every other MMO. I'll just hang onto my money.

At this point I think that's a good call.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by mCalvert

You know what would be cooler, and in the spirit of Rift? Dont tell us when you change content. Other than bug fixes and interface stuff, keep the world surprising and dynamic.

That would be awesome from my perspective as a player.. but they need to promote the game.

I'm sure 80% of the playerbase dosent read the website so they probably will be suprised.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• pl3dgepl3dge Member UncommonPosts: 183

Originally posted by SteamRanger

I'm sorry but I don't see why soloers should get anything...

It's an MMO!!!!!!!!! ( MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER )

Why not get a single player RPG if you want to solo for rewards and quests?

I like to solo aswell when I level, but at end game I would hate to be sat around playing alone and would certainly not expect rewards from big events.

• HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116

By soloing do you mean not join any public groups for rift stomping? Because then yes, Rift is not for you, but you can still quest solo and just come and go as you please for invasions. And I am sure that there will be lots of items available for everyone, not just end game raiders.  They have already basically told us this.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Looking for a new game.

no im not because you have 2 other souls to address the sabs weakness. Set traps for your casting area, I spec RS for armor and damage reduction upclose and assas for melee damage. win win;) Sabs were overpowered and everyone knows that. They do crazy damage. Mages had reason to cry foul lol

Right, because there's really poweful survivability stuff in other souls that requires 15 points or less. Abilities that will easily allow a sab to take AOE damage only a tank should be taking, etc. And you know everything about how sabs work in endgame, because OMG, you have a level 33 sab!

Also, I'm never sarcastic.

Sab's weren't the least bit OP at 50, EVEN WITH the broken armor penetration. At 50, a full 5-charge blast charge detonation hits another player for about 10-25% of their health bar. Maybe as much as 50% if it crits, and the player is using garbage gear and has no endurance buffs. This is from a setup that requires 6 GCDs to complete, and does zero damage during setup.

There were two things that needed to be changed in the sab soul:

1. Armor penetration needed to be fixed. (It was bugged. Even so, not really overpowered, but if something is bugged it should be fixed regardless.)

2. Damage at lower levels needed to scale down more.

That is all.

If they wanted to make these changes for PvP only, more power to them. I couldn't care less. But this is a hugely unjustified PvE nerf, that combined with the other sab and bard nerfs renders the rogue class nearly useless for end-game PvE content. The other DPS specs were already underpowered and no one wants a rogue tank for end-game, at least not that I've seen. Bards are now even more out-healed by chloros and their buffs replaced by pets and other classes. Nothing left for a rogue to do. GG Trion.

Also, Bard and Sab BOTH need 30m range. They should have been buffing bard range instead of nerfing sab range.

actually I have 33 points in sab not a level 33 but thanks for assuming. I also disagree because sabs are one of the most unique classes in the game and class changes are a part of the mmo genre. It wont be the first or the last. Agree to disagree I suppose. Im happy with the changes. The sky is not really falling

First, you posted and I quote: (I have a 33 sab). Any sane person would assume that means a level 33 sab. Second, that's still essentially the same thing. Third, you basically just admitted that Sab is so garbage that you can't afford to take all 51 points worth of branches in the tree. (Or you don't have more than 33 points to spend in the tree, because you actually ARE just level 33 despite trying to make it appear otherwise.) And this is the rogue's best DPS soul. Fourth, you still haven't said what end-game content you've done with ANY class, let alone the sab, to explain how you have any knowledge of how this nerf will impact PvE. Until you can prove otherwise, you're full of BS.

in both pve and pvp sabs combined with nb or assas can do crazy damage if paired with dark malady and detonate boom.

as I have already said before sabs should be and are becoming a mid range soul. Marks and ranger should be the long range souls. This game has many souls with many flavors depending on what you want to do. Since you get to combine three souls at once why should one soul be all things? you can create a class based around your play style and if you go ALL one soul what is the prob? also if you dont what is the prob? seems pretty simple really.

{mod edit}

Sabs don't have the survivability to do melee damage in many end-game PvE encounters. Not unless you take so many points from another soul that you can't really call it a sab any more. Sure, you'll be fine all the way up through regular AP and CC, probably. If that's all the further you want to progress your character in PvE, then it's simple: this discussion has absolutely nothing to do with you, and you have no reason to be posting in it.

Marks and ranger DPS is currently laughable. No one will take them in end-game. If they had buffed those specs at the same time as they are nerfing Sab's range I would have no complaints at all. I don't care which soul it is, but Rogue needs at least ONE competitive ranged dps soul. Because rogue, quite frankly, doesn't have the tools to combine enough survivability with enough dps to really be viable for melee dps in end-game no matter how you mix and match souls.

{mod edit}

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Stopped reading after this line.  RIFT isn't built for people who can't handle change.  People who rant about every % buff/nerf will never be happy in RIFT.  Find a game that doesn't have to balance things from time to time and I'll show you a game that has no diversity.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

To be honest, I never even notice the big differences everyone complains about majority of the time when a new patch comes out.

I mean yeah, there are times when something gets nerferd really bad but I honestly dont see the complaining. IF you really get this worked up about a number ratio for your imaginary elf in a completely made up fantasy world, then your in trouble. But maybe thats just me.

Originally posted by lathaan

Originally posted by Mahlo

Looking for a new game.

Oh the irony!

point for you ;) good find :P

Find one post where I've asked for a nerf to any class.

It's called reading things in context.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

This is why I despise game developers who won't seperate ability scaling and effects seperately from PvP and PvE.  One almost always screws over the other and as is most often the case, PvP ends up ruining the PvE experience.

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

To be honest, I never even notice the big differences everyone complains about majority of the time when a new patch comes out.

I mean yeah, there are times when something gets nerferd really bad but I honestly dont see the complaining. IF you really get this worked up about a number ratio for your imaginary elf in a completely made up fantasy world, then your in trouble. But maybe thats just me.

The diversity you speak of is exactly what they are taking away.

Bards? Sorry you heal too much... nerf

I have played through the other patches and "adjustments" so your point is moot.

This patch changes the whole reason why I started playing Rift in the first place - diveristy of souls. Being able to mix and match and play the type of character I want.

Now Rift is going back to traditional "class roles"

Heh maybe it's for you, but it's not the game I want and subscribed to.

Originally posted by Solestran

This is why I despise game developers who won't seperate ability scaling and effects seperately from PvP and PvE.  One almost always screws over the other and as is most often the case, PvP ends up ruining the PvE experience.

I have been saying this for years.