Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The last time you were "awed" by an MMO

Comments

• wow.pwns111wow.pwns111 Member Posts: 108

The first time i ran deadmines in WoW. OR maybe the 1st time i hopped on a gryphon in wow.

"We have barred the gates, but can not hold them for long...
    They have taken the Bridge and the Second Hall...
    We can not get out. The end comes.
    Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming..."

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

For me, the last time I was playing a game and said, "Oh, wow!" was in Rift-- the first time I came to the end of the first newbie zone in beta 1 and came face-to-face with Regulos before escaping back in time.

And I had a couple of "oh, crap" moments of excitement in Rift too, when I respawned right in the middle of all hell broken loose. But that's more the "shock and awe" kind of awe. LOL.

Before that? Hard to say. I've seen plenty of interesting things, but it's been a few years since I was really inspired by anything in a game-- maybe the wall carvings in the gorge in East Karana? That was like discovering a bit of a lost civilization. I was amazed. And  that was a ridiculously long time ago.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Dark Age of Camelot, though Vanguard and Darkfall have come close. I get sad wondering how anyone could get WoW'd from EQ clones or WoW clones.

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by Garvon3

Dark Age of Camelot, though Vanguard and Darkfall have come close. I get sad wondering how anyone could get WoW'd from EQ clones or WoW clones.

Not everyone has played EQ or WoW, so it's all new to them, ya know? I didn't really play WoW because it never really grabbed me, but there was plenty there that caught other people's imagination. What can I say? Azeroth doesn't do it for me. But I do understand that it does for a lot of other people.

I, for one, can't imagine being awed by Dark Age of Camelot, and I really did TRY to like it.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by LadyAlibi

Originally posted by Garvon3

Not everyone has played EQ or WoW, so it's all new to them, ya know? I didn't really play WoW because it never really grabbed me, but there was plenty there that caught other people's imagination. What can I say? Azeroth doesn't do it for me. But I do understand that it does for a lot of other people.

I, for one, can't imagine being awed by Dark Age of Camelot, and I really did TRY to like it.

Really? Cause Camelot City is one of the largest most impressive pieces of work in MMO space. Or seeing 500 men charging on a battlefield with towers crumbling around them, bombardments from boats off in the ocean, catapults and boiling oil? Or seeing a dragon swooping aronud blasting fire down on people?

• Crixus30Crixus30 Member Posts: 11

Back in EQ in 2000 or 2001. Hunting in Lake of Ill Omen like I usually did around level 20ish. Pulling in the goblin ruins I was sitting down resting when all of a sudden GM controlled Cazic Thule was right there. Talking to people and stomping around. The zone chat erupted in screams and shock that a God was standing here with us in a zone he had no business being in.

After 15 or 20 mins of chit chat he decided to knock everyone around him about 500 yards thru the air in every direction. By the time I landed I was in the middle of the lake. Pure awe at seeing the size and stature of Cazic Thule.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

My first Darkfall siege 2 years ago.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

Fallen Earth: After the tutorial, I chose my starter city. When I opened the doors from the bunker and stared into the horizon it literally felt like it was all real.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Awed?  Guild Wars - From the waste lands of Ascalon, the Crystal Desert to the towering Shiverpeaks.  So many places to stop and say "Wow - would you just look at that."  Lots of screen shots.

Vanguard was a total bust for me, nothing even came close.  It all looked like a water painting with moving parts.  Then again I was using an Nvidia 6800 GTX at the time which may be part of why it looked so bad.  I quit after the third week of playing, about six months after release.

LoTRO - The looks are OK.  But there is nothing that hit me as being something to remember.  Not even a single screen shot.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

For me it was Lord of the Rings Online.

Before that it was my first MMO, Everquest.

• RianRian Member Posts: 17

Earth and Beyond - 2003

I was parked in Mars at the ABG Gate and a few seconds after I loaded the zone there was a countdown. So I'm trying to figure out what the game is counting down to, when the giant mooncannon directly pointed at the spot I was at, fired. For a second, I swore the Progen had destroyed my ship (I was a JE after all). 

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

First time awe would be DAoC. Just totally awesome watching a 200+ man relic raid.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, and City of Heroes all on launch. Star Wars Galaxies and Horizons: Istaria came close just from the initial play on my computer, but fell flat from numerous gameplay issues. The first three games I mentioned all did simply amazing things with what they attempted and pulled off as I fired them up on my computer.

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

Fist time I was Awed, was just by the shear size of EQ as I was running across the main continent to get to Queynos.

Last time? hmm. I'd say Planetside. The massive fights in the early days with gunships and tanks all over was crazy. Just standing back on the outskirts watching the battle was pretty awesome.

After that, I haven't been awed. And I've played a lot of games since then.

• Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109

Star Wars: Galaxies.

Nothing like invading a rebel base with 50 other Imperials and duking it out, lasers flying everywhere, AT-AT and AT-ST getting blown up by Commandos.  Also fighting massive Kraytes and Kimogilas. God damn SWG was amazing.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

It's been hard to find an awe-like experience since my 2nd game (SWG). It was just so wide open that it really struck me as an amazing world, not to mention being Star Wars ffs. Nothing really hit me for years at a time, besides maybe FFXI and EVE (for their own reasons), but then I got into Wurm Online and spent the longest continual play of my MMO career since SWG. Running about 2 years in each (though I play neither atm). Nowadays I'm looking for the depth of play in an open-ended game on top of the procedural world-building in my games.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Hm....awe... probably Eve.... and any other game that has made me say "Cooooooooool!"

This is not a game.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I think if we look at the answers to this other thread ALONG with this one, we'll see some patterns of reason.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/310616/page/1

It's an even more interesting discussion looking at the threads side by side.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

The last time that i was awed by an mmorpg was years ago, around 2004/2005, since then everything has been stagnant and hasnt really brought anything new.

• ArddeneArddene Member Posts: 2

I remember when I first started playing WoW, and had just created an undead priest, waking up in the catacomb. I was completely awed that moment. No other game has ever made me feel like that.

• AriesianAriesian Member UncommonPosts: 20

This is my second response to this post but why not.

AION, first time i entered the Abyss. My real life fear of hights almost translated into a virtual one. Talk about breathtaking!

I was afaid that this portion of the game, which is most of the endgame PvP would be unplayable for me. I have become used to it, but wow, the first view was awesome.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Can't recall any MMO specific "awe" moments.

Last gaming "awe" moment I can recall was during my first play through of Mass Effect 1.

Right at the end, full Paragon... the final conversation with Saren...

Hit that Paragon conversation option and bam... was completely blown away by what happened next... I actually remember just saying "Wow...." being totally in shock, frantically texting my brother (who was also heavily invested into this first ME1 play through,) and just saying "dude... you cannot believe what I just saw."

• EoDzeroEoDzero Member Posts: 45

Playing Everquest classic as a newb and venturing further out into the west karanas. I stumbled on a Hill Giant stomping along the treeline. I got scared so I decided to run back where i had come from but i was lost now for days in this new massive area. Thank god a bard ran into me and helped me get back to familiar grounds.

Got SOW?

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532

Originally posted by Fessor111

Everquest, A high level necro was killing guards by the wall outside of Rivervale. I was level 4 on my first toon i EQ :P

Hehe, now I really wanna play EQ again.

Downloading....

sitting on the newbie log in EQ, Neriak and seeing a level 44 Necro walking on air... 

• Going into 3D MMOs from 2d. That would be from Ultima to EQ1.