Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The last time you were "awed" by an MMO

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I was recently watching a video of TERA and couldn't believe how amazing the world looked, now I wasn't actually playing of course, but just from seeing it I was amazed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etv40-itaQc&feature=related

But that got me thinking, when was the last time I was actually "awed" by an MMO? I realized it hadn't been for about 6 years - when I first started playing WoW. Now, I know people hate WoW for various reasons, and I have to admit when I first started playing I thought "what kind of crap is this" just from the graphics alone. Then I met someone and he led me around the zone to Stormwind, where I took the tram. It was pretty cool, but nothing amazing yet. I then get to Ironforge, and he shows me where the griffon is. I mount up and start flying back towards Stormwind, and it hit me. That was the first time I'd ever experienced a flying mount in an MMO and it was amazing.

Since then, nothing has really grabbed me. Yeah, there have been cool features here and there, and by now I hate the flight paths because they just take time... so I'm really looking forward to some of the upcoming MMOs, hopefully something out there can wow me.

Which brings this to you... when was the last time you were actually awed by a MMO? What was it, and why do you think nothing has captivated you as much since then?

Edit - I'm actually quite curious what the actual event was that awed you. Thanks for the responses so far, but I'd like to know what it was, too, if you could. For it to awe you it must have been pretty damn cool.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Back in WoW. But then again that was my first MMO. Now they are just games to me. I'm never going to be in awe of another game again. I might have fun, but be in awe? No.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

Dark Age Of Camelot, first and only time. I've played many mmo's since.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Never.

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

The last time I was awed in a game was when I stumbled across a Chaos portal in the Invevitable City in WAR.  There's a portal in the back of the arena that randomly sends you to different 'realities'.  Totally useless, totally AWESOME, lol!

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

FFXI... I loved Ninja and the playstyle. Yes Ninja and /nin totally changed the game but omg.

If I was allowed to count any game.. Star Ocean: 'Til the end of Time.

An mmo based on that could be kind of cool but it would probably just be neat for a short time.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• Napoleon_BonaparteNapoleon_Bonaparte Member Posts: 43

Guild Wars.

And I can't wait for Guild Wars 2.

Intensity beats extensity everytime...

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

City of heroes story arcs .....

Kid you not , was soloing all of them , and reading everything those developers wrote .

Last one was harrison jones story lines in WoW cataclysme , they make questing seem like fun .

Then I woke up and hit 85 and saw 5 rep bar .......

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Never.

This.

I've been to the Grand Canyon. The first time I visited the place I was in awe, nothing has compared since. Experiences like that probably have affected other aspects of my life, including video games.

• DatarinDatarin Member CommonPosts: 164

First time I opened WoW a few years ago, although I didn't end up playing that game past a week. Before that, I had gone through a whirlwind of F2P games and was definitely aware of the standard MMO idea.

It was just like-

-omfg, no wonder people stan this game so hard-

-then stopped playing MMOs in general. Something about that game just didn't entice me to stay long. I explored, sure, and admired the environment and even went to a lot of places (I shouldn't have gone at my level).

The polish and quality in WoW is remarkable. That's all. The out-of-date graphics, for the first time in an MMO I ever played, didn't matter. It was all about exploring and letting the depth of the environment sink in.

I haven't had that kind of rush/excitement since, but I do have my hopes up on GW2.

Forums: The best real-time interactive MMORPG you'll ever be in.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Watching Lord British get murdered by a player in UO.

For those of you that don't know Lord British was the avatar of the creator of the Ultima series, Richard Garriott.  He was in-game during beta addressing the players when one of the spectators, Rainz, cast a fire field spell which killed Lord British.  He was supposed to be invulnerable.

It was awesome.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Closest I've ever come to being "awed" by an MMO is Vanguard, just has the best scenic graphics of any games, it might be lacking in other areas, but nothing can be a little Vanguard wanderlust. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Awe struck by an mmo? Never. Closest contender is swg. But it was more of a general appreciation of raph koster's vision.

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by Dameonk

Watching Lord British get murdered by a player in UO.

For those of you that don't know Lord British was the avatar of the creator of the Ultima series, Richard Garriott.  He was in-game during beta addressing the players when one of the spectators, Rainz, cast a fire field spell which killed Lord British.  He was supposed to be invulnerable.

It was awesome.

Hehe, did he drop anything cool?

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Originally posted by GPrestige

I was recently watching a video of TERA and couldn't believe how amazing the world looked, now I wasn't actually playing of course, but just from seeing it I was amazed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etv40-itaQc&feature=related

But that got me thinking, when was the last time I was actually "awed" by an MMO? I realized it hadn't been for about 6 years - when I first started playing WoW. Now, I know people hate WoW for various reasons, and I have to admit when I first started playing I thought "what kind of crap is this" just from the graphics alone. Then I met someone and he led me around the zone to Stormwind, where I took the tram. It was pretty cool, but nothing amazing yet. I then get to Ironforge, and he shows me where the griffon is. I mount up and start flying back towards Stormwind, and it hit me. That was the first time I'd ever experienced a flying mount in an MMO and it was amazing.

Since then, nothing has really grabbed me. Yeah, there have been cool features here and there, and by now I hate the flight paths because they just take time... so I'm really looking forward to some of the upcoming MMOs, hopefully something out there can wow me.

Which brings this to you... when was the last time you were actually awed by a MMO? What was it, and why do you think nothing has captivated you as much since then?

Edit - I'm actually quite curious what the actual event was that awed you. Thanks for the responses so far, but I'd like to know what it was, too, if you could. For it to awe you it must have been pretty damn cool.

First time i tried out SWG Pre-CU i was like "nizzzzzzzzzle" , no it blew my mind away, there was no limits to what you could be in that game, sandbox mmo with a theme park stories to do on different planets was the bomb, when they killed it i went back to Eve online which ive been in on and off since 2003

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Well...since I am relatively new to MMOs...for me I'd have to say the first time I entered the Shire in LotRO...if not that then the first time I took a look down Conall's Valley in AoC.

The Shire was beautiful...I mean getting to run around my favorite place in Middle Earth was amazing.

Conall's Valley in AoC was just awesome...I mean the graphics in that game are great anyway but the first time I experienced it was just...wow...

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• InfearealInfeareal Member UncommonPosts: 111

Last time, Asheron's Call. Going out into town from my humble starter drop off location to realize it was so dark i could not see anything. Equipped a torch and wandered into the wilderness to see what I could find. So many great times just exploring with friends and comming across awesome sights that may or may not have had back story to them. Was not my first mmo by a long shot, but the best I have ever experienced. Monthly content updates, Turbine I so miss the old days, please bring me a new love. Make it old school, make me think, question my decisions, please for gods sake no fucking golden ? and ! and stupid mini maps to tell me where to go, I am not a retard, I can read, and want to figure things out.

• darkspriggandarkspriggan Member CommonPosts: 20

Dark Age of Camelot was the game that "awed" me the most(and was the last one so far). I had gotten to a higher level, 40-something out of 50, and went into the absolutely massive PVP area. This day there was apparently a huge raid from an opposing faction (3 total factions) trying to take one of our relics from us. There ended up being well over 300-400+ people in one zone from 3 different factions fighting it out for this thing.

At the time my computer wasn't even good enough to handle it, so I was literally just watching from afar with ~10fps until someone ganked me and I went on my way leveling again. Turned out the Hibernians came to take our relic. As we were fighting, the third faction, Midgard, flanked us both. We managed to keep the relic because Midgard didn't time their flank very good, and failed.

Not long after this I upgraded my computer and hit level 50 to join them.

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

Mortal Online. It was different, exciting and new. Regardless of what followed, I was awed

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by DarthMooska

Mortal Online. It was different, exciting and new. Regardless of what followed, I was awed

The atmosphere in some areas in MO gave me a sense of 'awe'... the game itself?  It made me want to kill myself to be honest.  The mechanics of the game, great.  The delivery of said mechanics, horrible.  1st person, unfinished UI, buggy AI, ugly animations and combat.  Yuck yuck and more yuck.

Before that, probably 100+ man WAR seiges.  I played DAoC, loved those.. but back then my computer played those seiges like a slide show.

And before that, Ultima Online.  Loved that game.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Probably when I first started playing DAoC. Then there's also my first flight in WoW that was prtetty memorable, but that was 6 years ago. There have been some pretty intense scenery viewing moments while playing LotRO on maxed out settings, but still, perhaps not quite that "Awe" moment I'd like to have. And to whoever mentioned viewing the grand canyon in real life, I couldn't agree more. The Grand Canyon, Salt River mountain range, traveling through the Apalachian mountains, etc. Truly moments to bring that "awe" feeling.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I'm in awe at every mmo that is released today.

How?

they are all piles of sh!t and it amazes me.

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

- EQ1 ( best PVE )

- DAOC ( best PvP )

- RYZOM ( best Ressource Gathering, best Mob Behaviour )

- ISTARIA ( best Player Housing )

- EVE ( best Game Mechanics )

- Atlantica Online ( best Strategy )

- Uncharted Waters Online ( best Sandbox )

Yeah, been "awed" a few times, but for different reasons.

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• StuppeStuppe Member UncommonPosts: 59

Come to think of it, I havent really been "awed" by anything since Anarchy Online - Granted it was my first real mmorpg, but man i could just hang out in that game - all day, doing nothing but talking with people and chillin. No other game have had me do this.. daym i miss it!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Guildwars. After that a few small things from other games. Like the collision detection in AoC, it was brilliant, too bad I can't say the same about the arrow combat system.