Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA: 1.5 million The Old Republic beta tester applicants can't be wrong

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

And here I thought the "debate" would be over the release date now that "spring 2011" is obviously not going to happen.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by Gruug

And here I thought the "debate" would be over the release date now that "spring 2011" is obviously not going to happen.

We shall see next 2 month is either the hype machine working , then spring 2011 may release is going to happen

Or else its Q3-Q4 launch , after ME 3 who going to just bring more fans back , but i prefer a delay on ME3 so a epic final can be given , and more ME DLC content .

Then delaying SWTOR . its all about MONEY , and MONEY going to probaly push a early release !!

Hurray for a change :D

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I applied for beta ages ago!  Must be like three years ago haha.  I am still holding onto the hope I will get in.  If not, no biggie I am sure they will have open beta before release.  I will purchasing the game regardless :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by mm0wiggins

Originally posted by jackmcleod

I can't manipulate the Senate as a Jedi / I can't attack {planets/this NPC} at will as a Sith. OR The space game sucks. OR There is a lack of explorable areas.

I know can tell you I'm a Star Wars fanboi, and Star Wars with no politics, is not Star Wars. If you cannot become the Dark Lord of the Sith, you are not a Sith, that is not Star Wars. I know for sure I won't buy a Star Wars game that has nothing of the Star Wars ideology. If as Sith I cannot kill another Sith to display my power, why the hell would you bother playing Sith? If the Sith aren't Sith, why the hell are there Jedis?

This ^.  Thank you.   Too bad I'm probably the only one in this thread that will pay attention to the weight of this post.    People are eating this game up for almost no reason.    Other than the title  "Star Wars: The Old Republic" there's no resemblance to the Star Wars franchise in this game, from what we've seen so far.  Lightsabers and lightning coming out of one's fingertips don't encompass all that is Star Wars.   

I wonder how many of those 1.5 million beta applicants are actual star wars fans.  We will never know

But... sith can kill sith in TOR,  Jedi consulars WILL be manipulating the senate and theres a tremendous amount of explorable areas.  More so than SWG.  You'll actually be able to do much of what was said here, none of which you were able to do in any effect in.... well... mostly any star wars game to date.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by SaintViktor

"It's a great indicator in the interest level in the franchise,"

"For us it's about creating the right experience for expanding from tier 1 and the tier 2 users to getting people who have never played an MMO before, but are interested in Star Wars, to engage and give it a try,"

"If we do that, our addressable market is well beyond 12 million people ... into more of a general gamer population, pretty much anyone that has a minimum spec personal computer."

Ok took out the story part of this write-up and reduced it down to just the quotes.

First quote:  What is the problem with this quote?  It is a great indicator in the interest of the game.  Does it guarantee success, no it doesn't but to take more out of the quote than what is said which is "interest level" is just trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Second quote:  Again what is wrong with this quote?  Anyone making a game based on an established IP would want to grab fans of that IP who are not "gamers" per se.  I personally got involved into mmo's with SWG because of this very thing, man that mole hill is getting huge!

Third quote:  Umm, ok know where is he stating about getting 12 million subs.  He is just addressing the target market and how big that market could be.  Why is it that the NFL has been pushing to get a team into LA?  Because it's the second biggest market in the US, your not gonna pack 5 million fans into the stadium on Sunday but by having a bigger market your more apt to fill that stadium to capacity.  Same concept here, the bigger your target market is the more chance at success at hitting internal goals, whatever those might be.

So basically, the writer for this website tried to take a few quotes and twist the hell out of em to get page views.  And so many of you fell for it.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

• LadyAlyseLadyAlyse Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by corden53

Originally posted by xmenty

Not many people are into Scifi. Most of the female WOW players I know really can't be bothered with Star Wars as the lore is not that interesting to them. Maybe 2 mil players will play SWTOR and the other 2 mil went to GW2.  Not sure if SWG even have 2 mil when they launched it.

Ironically, my sister is a huge Star Wars nut as is her best friend who is also a Star Wars freak (Who she met on thew SWTOR forums) though I do see what you're saying, as most girls are not into the 'gritty' Sifi such as Halo (Which I'm not really that into either).

I think that's one of the reasons BioWare is going for a bit more of a colorful art style for the game. Most of the planets are beautiful and vibrant with color and the characters are a bit cartoony.

I guess I've always viewed Star Wars as a median between Sifi and fantasy, where as I said the Halo/Stargate/millitiant style of sifi being towards the 'pure' sifi, and Star Wars being a cross over between Sifi and fantasy. I guess that's why I've always thought Star Wars was so popular.

I'm a girl, fine, an OLD girl, and I intend to play SW:TOR, just as I played SWG for years beginning in 2003.  I also played WOW, but didn't find it as exciting as SWG.  It hasn't held my interest as well.  However, SWG is not the same anymore.  I know SW:TOR is not SWG and that is great.  I am just holding out that it will be amazing and fun to play!   I do love Star Wars. 

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

Somethings wrong you guys.

He said addressable market.

I want to own property too

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The NUMBERS of players are of absolutely ZERO importance for me, as long as the game lives and has some decent population. 12 millions, 2 millions... doesn't matter to me. I am no EA stockholder, I am a gamer. As such I only care if I like the game or not.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

I can't manipulate the Senate as a Jedi / I can't attack {planets/this NPC} at will as a Sith. OR The space game sucks. OR There is a lack of explorable areas.

I know can tell you I'm a Star Wars fanboi, and Star Wars with no politics, is not Star Wars. If you cannot become the Dark Lord of the Sith, you are not a Sith, that is not Star Wars. I know for sure I won't buy a Star Wars game that has nothing of the Star Wars ideology. If as Sith I cannot kill another Sith to display my power, why the hell would you bother playing Sith? If the Sith aren't Sith, why the hell are there Jedis?

This ^.  Thank you.   Too bad I'm probably the only one in this thread that will pay attention to the weight of this post.    People are eating this game up for almost no reason.    Other than the title  "Star Wars: The Old Republic" there's no resemblance to the Star Wars franchise in this game, from what we've seen so far.  Lightsabers and lightning coming out of one's fingertips don't encompass all that is Star Wars.   

I wonder how many of those 1.5 million beta applicants are actual star wars fans.  We will never know

Its very much star wars. There is much more to star wars than simply a sith killing another sith.

In red, So much for a star wars fanboi.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

You're not the only one and I'm also a Star Wars nut, have been since 1977, and I'm not at all interested in the game.  Quite frankly, I don't see any game doing the IP justice so it's not a failure I would pin to any developer or publisher's lapel.  What made Star Wars special is just not something I think can be easily captured.  At least no one has done it to date and I see no sign that BW is going to do it either.  At least they don't seem to be trying very hard.  Choosing the path of least resistance surely is not the way to go about doing it.

Really, it doesn't matter who helms the project, they just aren't going to get it.  BW certainly doesn't.  The shame is they have the resources to do it right, just not the vision.  But then again, who does?  Even Lucas failed when it came to reproducing his previous results -- and he missed way wide of the mark too.  Hard to expect more from a game developer.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Brown hopes that Star Wars: The Old Republic can gain a user base exceeding 12 million

This right there is exactly what killed every other good MMO game ever since WoW, devs high expectations. IMO this game won't even maintain 1 million after launch.

When AoC hit beta they had 700K beta players but after launch the game quickly dropped to 100K or so, same as Warhammer, it had 900K+ in beta and dropped to 150K or more after launch. 1.2 million beta applicants certainly does not mean it'll be 1.2 million subs after launch.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Unlight

You're not the only one and I'm also a Star Wars nut, have been since 1977, and I'm not at all interested in the game.  Quite frankly, I don't see any game doing the IP justice so it's not a failure I would pin to any developer or publisher's lapel.  What made Star Wars special is just not something I think can be easily captured.  At least no one has done it to date and I see no sign that BW is going to do it either.  At least they don't seem to be trying very hard.  Choosing the path of least resistance surely is not the way to go about doing it.

Really, it doesn't matter who helms the project, they just aren't going to get it.  BW certainly doesn't.  The shame is they have the resources to do it right, just not the vision.  But then again, who does?  Even Lucas failed when it came to reproducing his previous results -- and he missed way wide of the mark too.  Hard to expect more from a game developer.

So far many people that have tried the game say it feels very much like star wars. It is a hard feeling to capture but Bioware did it with KOTOR so there is no reason they cannot do it again with TOR. Of course watching videos will not create the feel, you'll have to play it in order to get that since its not a movie.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013

Originally posted by Unlight Even Lucas failed when it came to reproducing his previous results -- and he missed way wide of the mark too.  Hard to expect more from a game developer.

That I agree with.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I applied to beta test this game 2 years ago with 5 different email accounts and nothing yet.  No invite no nothing.

Just saying I am sure I am not the only one.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick
    I love suits in the gaming business.
    It's like being at the circus.
    Every time a suit opens his mouth to spout something game related, I think 'hey, look, the clowns are coming in!'

Agree 100%.

I came to the MMO genre to watch the Lions chasing the Tamer around the Rings, not to watch the Clowns.

SW:TOR will be big because it's new, because it's Jedi/Sith with Lightsabers, Because it's Sci Fi, and because it's NEW. It will make it's Elitist Investors a ton of cash off of us cattle. The Clowns already know this.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Hehehe..1.5 million beta applicants can be wrong, you know. :P

...nothing. Just felt like picking on EA's  statement.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Oh crap, I really hope he fails on the "get new people into mmo's." plan, that idea never works well. We still have pre and post wow player fueds. Seriously, would you want to be the new gut walking into that? It will be like the anabaptists poping up when the protestants and catholics were going at it in Europe. It was the only thing that both protestants and catholics agreed on, while they were unhappy with eachother, they damn sure were letting someone else into the fun and both sides jumped the anabaptists. It will be Old schoolers, Post WoWers, and ToR newbies, think of the flames and corpes man, think of it before it gets out of hand.

• justamemoryjustamemory Member Posts: 200

if there weren't star wars pegged all over it, I'd have to say it sounds more like Tobacco Online: Git 'Em Wile Der Yung.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Who's making SW:TOR... EA

Not that it matters to your evident EA hatred, but last time I checked, SWTOR was being made by Bioware.

It'd be like saying 'WoW is made by Activision' while it's evident that it's made by Blizzard.

Or, babies are made by the doctor delivering it.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Well actually EA owns bioware, built the austin building, and had a hand in selecting the ToR team so they do have a hand in making ToR. Their money, their building, their say.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Robsolf

Who's making SW:TOR... EA

Not that it matters to your evident EA hatred, but last time I checked, SWTOR was being made by Bioware.

It'd be like saying 'WoW is made by Activision' while it's evident that it's made by Blizzard.

Or, babies are made by the doctor delivering it.

That is a great analogy at the end..

If the doctor paid 860 million dollars and change for the baby.  Had share holders clamoring for the baby to be delivered by a certain date whether it was full term or not.   Ya then it would be relevant...

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Antarious

That is a great analogy at the end..

If the doctor paid 860 million dollars and change for the baby.  Had share holders clamoring for the baby to be delivered by a certain date whether it was full term or not.   Ya then it would be relevant...

Wrong example too. The shareholders and the doctor still wouldn't be responsible for creating/'making' the baby.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

Well, i applied before i even knew what the game looked like or the mechanics were like, so yeah. Think some, not many but soem did. I am a huge star wars fan, that probs why

scribble scribble scribble

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Rift had 1 million forum subscribers... now SWTOR has 1.5 million beta apps.... it's nice to see good games getting big followings.  It will help encourage other devs to step it up.