Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlegrounds has destroyed MMORPG PvP.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Umm... yeah that would be cool if that was how warfare actually worked. Sorry but you dont exactly have the leaders of each side sitting down going "Oh you have 500 soldiers? Well we have 5000, but we will only let 500 fight you because its even that way. Oh whats that, all of your weapons & technology are 30 years old? Well ok then, we will go reequip ourselves with the same stuff instead of using these nifty new high tech weapons against you guys. Or better yet, here we will give you half of our supplies & weapons so we are on even terms now. Ready to fight now? Oh, you need a couple more hours to prepare... well ok we will just sit here and twiddle our thumbs until youre ready to fight then."

Real warfare have nothing at all to do with MMOs. People like Napoleon, Cesar or Rommel never let people run around for themselves in a big pile. Not even morons like Haigh and Westmoreland would go for that.

If you want some kind of realism in a MMO you would need to change a lot. Add a field commander (like in Natural selection), give bonuses for fighting in formations and so on.

To me it sounds like you say that a Megas is not as realtic as a griffon. Not a good argument against or for battlegrounds.

As I see it is the bad part about battlegrounds that you instance up the game which means you see fewer people when you play and it makes the game feel a lot less massive.

Why would i want to sacrifice FUN in my game in the name of realism? A mage throwing fireballs are not realistic ANYWAY.

So what if i see fewer people. On my monitor, i can't tell between 100 and 200 anyway.

• Akarn1007Akarn1007 Member Posts: 47

Agreed they need to focus more on world pvp

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by depain

Battlegrounds: Instanced 5v5 or so objective based PvP, e.g., Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, Take the Hill, etc.

WHY DO PEOPLE ENJOY THIS?

#1. In BGs, there is NO element of surprise. Eveyrone is buffed up and expecting combat.

#2. In BGs, tactics are learned within a month. The scenario becomes a rinse/repeat cycle.

#3. In BGs, there are a limited number of maps. Everyone quickly learns every blade of grass, every hill, every tree, every typical hiding spot.

#4. In BGs, everything is redundant. Been there, done that... a thousand times.

Am I simply asking for World PvP? No. I'm asking for some creation depth - something outside the box. Battlegrounds/Arenas are so typical - so boring. It's seriously time for something new.

For 10 years people playing CS with same maps so logic says they play for years BG same maps, boring but thats what many wants, for them its fun hehe.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I agree! Hey! I did a search instead of starting a new thread! Go me!
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Why do you even care?

Just play and support the games that offer what you want and leave others to do the same with the one's they want.

Asking people to communicate why they like something you don't when you really don't wanna hear them anyhow is a no win.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'd like to see a combination of DAoC, Shadowbane, Darkfall etc.

Shadowbane was awesome but losing everything sucked. The huge battles in DAoC were a blast but needed more depth. 

Acutally, throw in the SWG TEF system to the above and there would be some serious fun.

But yeah, BGs suck.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If battleground PvP destroyed or is destroying world PvP, then world PvP is weak, and should die.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    World pvp is alive and kicking in eve, planetside 2 and gw2 (sort of)
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by lizardbones

If battleground PvP destroyed or is destroying world PvP, then world PvP is weak, and should die.

its a combination that destroyed world pvp.

Battlegrounds and flying mounts.

+ i have to say instances. The open world is empty apart from a few people leveling. there is no fun in ganking low levels. So world pvp died under that combination.

• ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

A lot of people actually like BG's, it caters to their need for basically rewards and instant gratification, but I agree with the OP, for me it has made PvP completely uninteresting, if not flat out boring.

+1

but then i dont play games like wow, gw2 and such anymore since they are all just boring and the combat isnt exciting and fun.. i prefer full loot open world sandbox pvp/games

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

What a very strange statement.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Badaboom

OP, do yourself a favour and pick up Darkfall.  It is the answer you have been looking for.  You can thank me later.

PS:  I also think that battlegrounds have ruined MMO's so therefore I do not buy MMO's that have them.  Vote with your wallet.

This guy has the right reasoning, but don't except AAA development out of the games that are trying shit outside the box.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    World pvp hasn't been done well since eve / daoc / planetside 1

This year 2 games come along and do it very well / fairly good - ps2 & gw2 and look how popular it is.

Ps2 keeps adding servers
    WvW is by far the most popular activity in gw2
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Battlegrounds: Instanced 5v5 or so objective based PvP, e.g., Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, Take the Hill, etc.

#1. In BGs, there is NO element of surprise. Eveyrone is buffed up and expecting combat.

#2. In BGs, tactics are learned within a month. The scenario becomes a rinse/repeat cycle.

#3. In BGs, there are a limited number of maps. Everyone quickly learns every blade of grass, every hill, every tree, every typical hiding spot.

#4. In BGs, everything is redundant. Been there, done that... a thousand times.

Am I simply asking for World PvP? No. I'm asking for some creation depth - something outside the box. Battlegrounds/Arenas are so typical - so boring. It's seriously time for something new.

Lets see:

- provocative and exaggerated title

- Argument presented in a way not to encourage debate and discussion but to start an argument.

Yep, it's a troll thread.  No need to feed it further.  This has been discussed to death.  If the OP doesn't get it now there is no hope for him. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

Destroyed?

There are games that are basically nothing but battlegrounds (LOL, WOT ...) and they are more popular than MMOs. It is just preference. It is obvious that there is a market for e-sport type pvp.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Destroyed?

There are games that are basically nothing but battlegrounds (LOL, WOT ...) and they are more popular than MMOs. It is just preference. It is obvious that there is a market for e-sport type pvp.

have you read the op?

we are talking about open world pvp being non existant. because of battlegrounds instances and their rewards.

and seriously. what are u still doing here? with evry post u make you point out that you don't like MMO's you want quick and instant fun. there 20 other genres out there that give you that pleasure. begone please....

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I like pve and pvp, i want both. But hate being told to go here to do this or that. I enjoy crafting, decorating, exploring, etc....... Sometimes you need to mix it up and do a little pvp to get a rush.

I just dont like instanced pvp, it makes the game feel..........linear i guess you could say. I like the option to move, run, retreat, get back up, have massive fights, etc...... Just dont get the same feeling on an open world game as i do with games having warzones/battlegrounds. Now im a crafter mostly in mmo's, i like to build things and sell them (business aspect). But when i want to pvp, which is often, i want real pvp!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Originally posted by lizardbones If battleground PvP destroyed or is destroying world PvP, then world PvP is weak, and should die.

Strange? If world PvP***** as a game mechanic isn't strong enough*, and is being replaced**** by something****** that is stronger**, then things******* are working exactly as they********* should. Players*** are choosing the things******** they want.

* 'strong enough' means that it attracts enough of an audience that a significant number of people partake.

** 'stronger' means that it attracts more people than other available options, to the point that the other option or options are used by a very small percentage of available players.

*** 'Players', in this context just means a majority or large majority of the available players.

**** 'replaced' in this context means a large majority of players have the option to participate, but choose not to participate.

***** I have no idea what 'world pvp' means in this context. Is it FFA PvP or RvR/WvW PvP? What about faction based open world PvP?

****** One or more different types of PvP.

******* 'things' means game mechanics being chosen by players.

******** 'things' in particular references the different available types of PvP.

********* 'they' references the 'things' that references game mechanics chosen by players.

** edit **
    It's half a Christmas Tree! Merry Christmas everyone!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Originally posted by lizardbones If battleground PvP destroyed or is destroying world PvP, then world PvP is weak, and should die.

Strange? If world PvP***** as a game mechanic isn't strong enough*, and is being replaced**** by something****** that is stronger**, then things******* are working exactly as they********* should. Players*** are choosing the things******** they want.

* 'strong enough' means that it attracts enough of an audience that a significant number of people partake.

** 'stronger' means that it attracts more people than other available options, to the point that the other option or options are used by a very small percentage of available players.

*** 'Players', in this context just means a majority or large majority of the available players.

**** 'replaced' in this context means a large majority of players have the option to participate, but choose not to participate.

***** I have no idea what 'world pvp' means in this context. Is it FFA PvP or RvR/WvW PvP? What about faction based open world PvP?

****** One or more different types of PvP.

******* 'things' means game mechanics being chosen by players.

******** 'things' in particular references the different available types of PvP.

********* 'they' references the 'things' that references game mechanics chosen by players.

** edit **
    It's half a Christmas Tree! Merry Christmas everyone!

Am I meant to read* through that mess**?

* Look at written/printed medium.

** A cluttered, untidy, confused and muddling post.

Merry Christmas!

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by xeniar
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Destroyed?

have you read the op?

we are talking about open world pvp being non existant. because of battlegrounds instances and their rewards.

and seriously. what are u still doing here? with evry post u make you point out that you don't like MMO's you want quick and instant fun. there 20 other genres out there that give you that pleasure. begone please....

And MMO is now one of those 20 genres that gives me taht pleasure ... 1/20 is not much .. but i will take it too.

And you may also notice that this site covers D3, LOL, WOT, DDO .. all without worlds.

• WorrynotWorrynot Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by jpnz

I wouldn't say 'destroyed' as Wintergrasp/Tol Borad is a huge success in WoW.

WG actually had to become a 'BG like' since it was way too popular.

World PVP was rejected by the playerbase back in BC days when no one did the world PVP objectives.

It got rejected because that world pvp is not what actual world-pvp'ers want, and casuals never wanted that stuff either.

We (the world-pvp/ffa-pvp'ers) want to fight over, and own, villages/holdings/forts/castles. We want to engage in clan politics, making and breaking alliances and all that good stuff.

Lineage 2, Darkfall and EVE springs to mind as examples.

Making the 'world pvp' into "Battleground Light" is misguided, and goes to show that the developers don't have a finger on the pulse of the section of the community that lobbies (or cries, as it were) for proper open world pvp.

The first requirement for a solid world-pvp is that there are no pre-determined factions (Like in WoW and Aion). You want the players to make their own factions. Once you have that sorted, you'll see politics flourish as these factions fight over resources and holdings -- with this flourishing comes good things and bad things, but in my opinion the good outshines the bad.

I recognize that it's near impossible to balance a game with a world pvp like that when you have a gear-focused game like WoW.

If Darkfall hadn't sucked on so many levels, I don't think people would even have bothered trying to get proper world-pvp into wow. 

Personally I'm waiting for Darkfall: Unholy Wars, hoping it won't suck as much as the original. :)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

OP doesn't seem to understand that it is two different forms of PVP. You can like both for different reasons.

When I played EVE I enjoyed PVP for the thrill and surprise, not as a way to test my skills against other players. If I want to test my skills in an objective way, I need a more structural and tournament based PVP where skill can be measured within clear boundaries. Apples, oranges.

EDIT: I didn't answer the poll. When a game has PVP or PVE servers, the game is usually designed with PVE in mind. In my experience open world PVP in a game designed for PVE is bad. I only play FFA PVP games that are designed for FFA PVP. So the question if I play on PVE or PVP server is useless for me.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Battlegrounds are the only thing that kept me playing WoW for few years. I wasnt a fan of arenas but pwning noobs was cool
This discussion has been closed.