Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm already bored... why?

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I felt that Rift had no soul. It had all the ingredients of a good MMO but fell short in all of the little areas that give a game life. Lack of fun items, not much variety in the quests, lack of visual character customization, no life in the NPCs, doesn't feel like a world at all, just a series of hot spots. Rift is like looking at a picture of some place you want to visit but loses out on all the things that makes actually visiting it fun.

I'm sure other swill disagree but that is the feeling it gave me. There is nothing specifically wrong with Rift as a game but nothing made me want to keep playing it either.

• AceOfSpade90AceOfSpade90 Member Posts: 88

Why you are bored?

Why would we know? Maybe your just burned out of the MMO genre for some time... no one is a psychic to read your mind and guess what you like or dislike or what makes you thick or not.

I personally been burned out of great MMO's in the time. It wasn't the MMO's fault but only... tired.

Now I'm in Rift and I love it.

I see a universe where unicorns fly... and my mother-in-law is in a grave at last.
    |BEST UNIVERSE EVA AWARD|
  • PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Ender4

I felt that Rift had no soul. It had all the ingredients of a good MMO but fell short in all of the little areas that give a game life. Lack of fun items, not much variety in the quests, lack of visual character customization, no life in the NPCs, doesn't feel like a world at all, just a series of hot spots. Rift is like looking at a picture of some place you want to visit but loses out on all the things that makes actually visiting it fun.

I'm sure other swill disagree but that is the feeling it gave me. There is nothing specifically wrong with Rift as a game but nothing made me want to keep playing it either.

You just have to sit back and take a break especially if you saw a lot of stuff in Beta. I am

right there with you about the storyline and maybe it is because they are lacking detail to

explain exactly why my High Elf is Guardian and not Defiant?

It took me a while in WoW to figure out why my Belf was Horde and not Alliance, eventhough

he was sort of an Elf. Get out of those Beta zones and into Iron Peak/Stilmoor/Shimmersand and

you will just be flat out in aww of the zones.

Iron pike has that snow effect you saw in realm of the fae, but turned down. Just an incredible

place.

• AceOfSpade90AceOfSpade90 Member Posts: 88

Actually, I had the same problem... I just don't know why a high elf or a dwarf must be guardian, basing on their lore or why a Bahmi or a Kelari must be Defiant and not guardians! I understand that the Kelari have some grunch with the rest of the elves but seriously... are the Gods so picky on their races in order to ascend? Aren't some of the high elves and dwarves actually thinking: "Damm, those Gods did a louzy job, we are surrounded by 6 dragon-elemental-thirsty beyings, why did the Gods made us?" I find it a little "racist", some races have the God's eternal favour and others don't because they are dark/purple skinned?

I see a universe where unicorns fly... and my mother-in-law is in a grave at last.
    |BEST UNIVERSE EVA AWARD|

Some of it makes sense later on because in Iron Pike and actually in the quest in each zone they explain it, but it requires people to read.

See WoW had one thing on their side when they launched and that was just BADASS cinematics from Warcraft 3. Go search on youtube and they have cinematics to explain everything.

Star Wars has 6 movies and cinematics explain wtf is going on. Although I wish to god people would just let a good thing die they keep trying to add to a storyline.

GW2 is going to have 6-7 years worth of lore established from GW1 when it launches.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by GPrestige

I'm also hoping there are others here who feel the same way; they like it but can't bring themselves to log on much.

You are not alone, I've been saying that since Beta 2

I said the same about Warhammer, but like in Rift people just saw the short term fun of the game rather than looking at the long term appeal.

Unfortunately all the latest MMORPGs seems to focus on selling the maximun amount of boxes rather than aiming at an high number of monthly subscription

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    While I put my share of hours into WoW, I only have two 30s and a 50 to show for it. The game could never really hook me. Now with Rift I feel fully invested and always eager to keep playing. It boils down to the better graphics, dynamic world and deep soul system...it's just a better game!

Originally posted by ste2000

I said the same about Warhammer, but like in Rift people just saw the short term fun of the game rather than looking at the long term appeal.

Unfortunately all the latest MMORPGs seems to focus on selling the maximun amount of boxes rather than aiming at an high number of monthly subscription

Warhammer just had a whole set of issues to go a long with it. Some people who are just burnt out on the genre are simply not going to like Rift. It is just to close to EQ2 or WoW for that OMG big change in MMO's some people are looking for.

There are more then enough warnings in every single Review I have seen from the most bias to the most fair that repeat one fact. Rift is in a very specific genre. If you have been doing this genre for 6 years like the OP, then yeah you are going to burn out.

You really can not blame Trion because it is not like they pulled a bait and switch here. What I saw in 7 Beta's is what I am seeing in live. They are adding content and fixing bugs, so it is not like the game is broken. Some people are just burnt.

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

I'm also hoping there are others here who feel the same way; they like it but can't bring themselves to log on much.

Dang! My sentiments exactly. I like the game but it's so hard to log on! Thankfully I get my money back, but for most ppl...if they feel the same way it must be a pain.

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

Let me start off by saying that Rift is an absolutely fantastic game. It has had one of the best launches I've ever been a part of, and everything seems polished to the extent of an MMO thats already been out for a year. However, I feel I'm bored already, and when I see so many people claiming how much fun they are having I think that I'm missing something.

For those of you who love the game, understand that I really do like it. It is fun, for the most part, and offers a different take on the same stuff. Basically, I love WoW. Once I heard people were saying it is an MMO like WoW, and is really polished, I considered that a GOOD thing. I mean, I've played WoW for years, and the only thing I was really bored of was the lore/story/world ie. I wanted a change in world only. What better way to get that, than to play Rift?

But, when it came down to it, I managed to play since headstart and I find myself getting a little bored. I don't know if it is because it feels like I have done this before, or if I'm just getting bored of MMOs. I'll admit, I'm really excited for GW2 and SWToR because they CLAIM to be bringing something new to the table. I just don't see myself being able to play this for any longer than the free month period. I'm probably just one of the many who will quit after the free month, but the difference with me is I don't know WHY I'm bored. That is why I come to you, I need help figuring out just what the hell has me feeling bored each time I log on.

This thread is meant in no way to start an argument between people who like it and dislike it, I think this is a chance for people to voice their opinion. Try to be as constructive as possible. If you are going to come in and just say "the game sucks" with no valid explenation as to why you think so, then don't bother. I want to hear what you think, because it might help me and others in the same situation.

I'm 100 per cent with you on this. I got bored by level 22 and uninstalled the game - yet it's highly polished, it launched well and it does what it says on the tin and does it well. Why are we bored? I dunno either - I think you're right though, it feels like we've done it all before and for that reason, I found it really hard to care about my character. It was just level, swap out the gear, level a little more, slog through a few rifts and blah blah.....same old same old.

That's not really fair to Trion because they've done the business here, it just hasn't grabbed me the way that I'd hoped it would....

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Some people are just burnt.

It is more than being burnt out though. Rift really is a very flat game, there is little personality to it. It is all a matter of opinion obviously but the game design itself is somewhat at fault, not just the genre.

It is more than being burnt out though. Rift really is a very flat game, there is little personality to it. It is all a matter of opinion obviously but the game design itself is somewhat at fault, not just the genre.

See here is the real issue with the MMO market right here. Any new game that does come along noone really gives a chance.

I mean honestly look at the big saviours of the MMO market for 2011. SWToR that franchise has been going on for THIRTY YEARS. GW2 is riding on the back of GW1 hoping to god they can pull off what is written down on paper.

WoW taking old content and updating it because they dumped their top notch devs into Titan.

Noone gives any new games a chance in this market unless it is made by NCSoft/Blizzard/SoE

New Flash: The biggest turds in the past 5 years have been made by them:

NCSoft: Pick an issue with Aion that caused it to fail

WoW Cataclysm: Same identical model to the last 2 expansion and now they are in that buff/nerf patch phase

SoE: FinalFantasy 14 outsourced to some 3rd world region of China

A new game comes along with hardly any real bugs...fast response times...and now it lacks depth? That is what will kill it the fact we will not be able to RP correctly. That is honestly what you are saying.

I do not see anyone here calling Blizzard out when they recycle a raid and just add random stuff from left field to their Lore. Tauren Paladin make so much sense righttttttttttttt

I mean stop it with the double standards. SWToR LITERALLY recycled the raid on the Jedi temple from Star Wars3...I know the movie sucked, but come the hell on.

GW2 is taking a game that for all points and purposes SUCKED. You could not even jump and now GW2 is the saviour of the market place and it has such depth. Seriously?

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by gracefield

Let me start off by saying that Rift is an absolutely fantastic game. It has had one of the best launches I've ever been a part of, and everything seems polished to the extent of an MMO thats already been out for a year. However, I feel I'm bored already, and when I see so many people claiming how much fun they are having I think that I'm missing something.
    For those of you who love the game, understand that I really do like it. It is fun, for the most part, and offers a different take on the same stuff. Basically, I love WoW. Once I heard people were saying it is an MMO like WoW, and is really polished, I considered that a GOOD thing. I mean, I've played WoW for years, and the only thing I was really bored of was the lore/story/world ie. I wanted a change in world only. What better way to get that, than to play Rift?

But, when it came down to it, I managed to play since headstart and I find myself getting a little bored. I don't know if it is because it feels like I have done this before, or if I'm just getting bored of MMOs. I'll admit, I'm really excited for GW2 and SWToR because they CLAIM to be bringing something new to the table. I just don't see myself being able to play this for any longer than the free month period. I'm probably just one of the many who will quit after the free month, but the difference with me is I don't know WHY I'm bored. That is why I come to you, I need help figuring out just what the hell has me feeling bored each time I log on.

This thread is meant in no way to start an argument between people who like it and dislike it, I think this is a chance for people to voice their opinion. Try to be as constructive as possible. If you are going to come in and just say "the game sucks" with no valid explenation as to why you think so, then don't bother. I want to hear what you think, because it might help me and others in the same situation.
    I'm 100 per cent with you on this. I got bored by level 22 and uninstalled the game - yet it's highly polished, it launched well and it does what it says on the tin and does it well. Why are we bored? I dunno either - I think you're right though, it feels like we've done it all before and for that reason, I found it really hard to care about my character. It was just level, swap out the gear, level a little more, slog through a few rifts and blah blah.....same old same old.
    That's not really fair to Trion because they've done the business here, it just hasn't grabbed me the way that I'd hoped it would....

:(
    Level 23 here. I don´t know. When I left Silverwood, suddenly not many people did Rifts - I solo´d or duo´d 2 or 3. Suddenly everybody did his own thing with the occosional "lf Tank for instance x". So you are left alone with your quest hubs and think "hmm... not again."
    I cancelled, but I still do hope Trion can bind many subs.
  • tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

I defended the game up until last night when I played. I enjoyed it at first but now I don't even want to log on... It's like Hellboy meets Wow. The rifts are fun at first but then get annoying. They dissrupt game play which becomes very redundant at level 15. It seems like I'm doing the same quests at every level...just slightly different. And the game is very linear! I'm told to go in a direction and that's where I go.

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

Originally posted by tepthtanis

I defended the game up until last night when I played. I enjoyed it at first but now I don't even want to log on... It's like Hellboy meets Wow. The rifts are fun at first but then get annoying. They dissrupt game play which becomes very redundant at level 15. It seems like I'm doing the same quests at every level...just slightly different. And the game is very linear! I'm told to go in a direction and that's where I go.

My question? Where did you read it was not Linear? Did you try the Betas? Do you guys want to know why it is linear as hell? Really want to know why?

AION!!!

Aion took linear and tossed it out the window so you had no god given idea where to go next and people HATEDDDDDDDDD it.

You can hit 50 in 2 days in Rift grinding dungeons. Quest are there for guys like me who want to take their very sweet time leveling and like to read. They brought back Rift xp. You can go level through Warfronts cap'n 5k xp perwar fronts.

GW2 is the only game in the past 10 years who mighttttttt be able to remove linear from MMO's and have it actually catch on and not suck.

The game is linear if you quest. It is about as linear and flows about as good as it is allowed

to with that system.

Do quest A ---> earn rep ---> his friends like you so you get quest B. This is EQ 101

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by tepthtanis

My question? Where did you read it was not Linear? Did you try the Betas? Do you guys want to know why it is linear as hell? Really want to know why?

AION!!!

Aion took linear and tossed it out the window so you had no god given idea where to go next and people HATEDDDDDDDDD it.

You can hit 50 in 2 days in Rift grinding dungeons. Quest are there for guys like me who want to take their very sweet time leveling and like to read. They brought back Rift xp. You can go level through Warfronts cap'n 5k xp perwar fronts.

GW2 is the only game in the past 10 years who mighttttttt be able to remove linear from MMO's and have it actually catch on and not suck.

There are actually quite a few Rift fanboys who have stated that it is not linear, although there main argument is that you don't have to quest even though that has nothing to do with them being linear.

Originally posted by romanator0

There are actually quite a few Rift fanboys who have stated that it is not linear, although there main argument is that you don't have to quest even though that has nothing to do with them being linear.

Then they lied. I am a huge fan of this game for several reasons and I think it slowly moves the NA/EU audience off the Blizzard nipple and puts competition back in the market.

I pray to god SWToR/GW2 succeed so the market can stop stagnating. It is impossible to not say questing is Linear. Even Trion has specficially said that questing by itself is linear.

Account sellers LOVEEEE this game. You know why? They can sell a lvl 50 for 249$(spam whisper I got) and it takes them TWO days to get to 50. So 249$ for two days worth of work.

If you do quest and nothing else and try and grind it out I guarantee you will put a pencil in your eye. You have to mix it up warfronts/dungeons/rifts. Go find pvp somewhere. Go craft...go hunt artifacts.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Puremallace

Warhammer just had a whole set of issues to go a long with it.

I tell you something.

I was in Warhammer very first Beta, and I tested the game for almost a year.

I've been saying that Warhammer was boring since the start of Beta, I wasn't even taking into consideration the numerous technical issues.

I know that Warhammer released with a pointless PvP and non existant PvE but the world didn't feel right, to me it didn't look like I was in the world of Warhammer, I was unattracted by the world and the characters.

Yet at release everyone was raving about WAR (just look at the amount of positive postss the first few weeks after release)

Rift is a much better game, but has the same problems I found in Warhammer.

The world doesn't suck me in and I don't feel attached to NPCs or my own characters.

The problem is that I do not really care to become a hero of Telara, the world feel plastic and the gameplay is a copy and paste from all the other WoW clones

This game has no charm whatsoever.

Some people already found out this, some other will realise that a little bit further down the line.

Rift will do ok because unlike other recent MMORPGs is well executed and complete, but it doesn't have the Xfactor to be a relevant entry in the MMORPG Hall of Fame.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Problem here is many got caught up in the new and shinny but fail to notice how one directional this game is. Even people like myself who did all content on both faction up to level 42 in beta were called out as if we were lying about rift.

I want a good mmo to play as much as the next person and if rift was a good game i would say and defend it but it's not. It's bug free and polished but that's not enough to keep players playing the game. Rift is a quick cash cow for Trion that will pay for the mmo that really means the most to them.

This is what Trion want you to pay for.. http://www.trionworlds.com/en/games/syfy-action-mmo.php

The world doesn't suck me in and I don't feel attached to NPCs or my own characters.

The problem is that I do not really care to become a hero of Telara, the world feel plastic and the gameplay is a copy and paste from all the other WoW clones

This game has no charm whatsoever.

Some people already found out this, some other will realise that a little bit further down the line.

Rift will do ok because unlike other recent MMORPGs is well executed and complete, but it doesn't have the Xfactor to be a relevant entry in the MMORPG Hall of Fame.

God invented SWToR for people just like you. This is just two different philosophies and I GUARANTEE we will never agree. SWToR feels like Fable to me where you evolve your character, but I can not classify it as a MMO because it focuses too much on solo. That is my feeling.

Rift is having an impact. Take any MMO in the PAST month alone and look at their news section. Go watch Massively and tell me it does not have an impact...magically WAR is changing stuff...AoC is changing stuff all of a sudden...Blizzard announces new raids.

I think Rift put competition back into the market in some way shape or form.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I got that same feeling after playing two beta's unlike many others I actually logged into beta 5 walked over to Argent Grove saw a life rift come down the road to attack Argent for what seemed the 50th time logged out and did not play again that beta but.... got a beta invite for beta 6 logged in again saw a Fire rift went in with about 30 others cleared it and just thought this game is boring logged out and never logged in again. Spent a few weeks afterwards thinking why and reading these forums and realised it was just not a very interesting world or game, rifts got boring after two betas, quests were beyond dull, crafting was useless, character models and animations were just bad, running was sooooo slow, world was small, leveling was really fast, its just not a very good game when you look under the bonnet/hood but from the PR and hype around the game you'd think it was a 6.0 litre Aston Martin V12 Vantage but really its a clapped out company used 200,000 mile on clock Ford Mondeo.

But Xzen sums it up best in my sig, thanks Xzen.

Cal. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

I too like rift. Still playing at 1st I paid for 6months about 2 days go canceled. You get past 20 and the quests there is no difference to them. Go kill 20,10 turn it in .. then send you back to the same spot kill more.. turn it in go back same spot.  And as of the patch it so easy now. No one.. NO  ONE says in chat or forums "WOW is for kids.. it so easy" becaues RIFT has pasted WOW. With cleric and hunter/bard I can ..no lie.. take on 5+ my lvl or higher. As of the patch been doing rifts ALONE.. its SOOOO easy that its no fun.

People ask what happens at 50 is there end game? People say lol about a week.... thats it.. no one argues.. they say you reach 50 in days.. no one argues.. 

Some of us told them (TRION) over and over in beta and still to this day.. make it harder.. its way to easy, do something about rifts because there going to get very boring and they have done nothing but make it easier. Its to late the make the game harder. way to many would be pissed. Now you get better XP in rifts.. more rewards.. you really dont have to work for anything. But ask IN GAME what lvl 50's do all day. Not even 30 days 

Yes yes at 1st the game is a BLAST as it was in beta but like sooooooooo many said once you reach 12-20  there is nothing that makes you want to keep playing.. 

If you still like it great.

Wanted to add and all the HACKED accounts.. man so many .. the forums are not DELETEING them. ANYTHING being said about it is gone.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by NightAngell

Problem here is many got caught up in the new and shinny but fail to notice how one directional this game is. Even people like myself who did all content on both faction up to level 42 in beta were called out as if we were lying about rift.

I want a good mmo to play as much as the next person and if rift was a good game i would say and defend it but it's not. It's bug free and polished but that's not enough to keep players playing the game. Rift is a quick cash cow for Trion that will pay for the mmo that really means the most to them.

This is what Trion want you to pay for.. http://www.trionworlds.com/en/games/syfy-action-mmo.php

They are going to have tough competition if they are making a shooter.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

Just one of the many sci-fi shooter MMOs that are in development or are coming out soon.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Let me start off by saying that Rift is an absolutely fantastic game.

yep, it seems that way at first, for sure.

But, when it came down to it, I managed to play since headstart and I find myself getting a little bored. I don't know if it is because it feels like I have done this before, or if I'm just getting bored of MMOs. 

No, you are just bored of boring MMOs.

Rift is IMO just, once you get a little deeper then the fact 'hey! it works!', a boring MMO.

but the difference with me is I don't know WHY I'm bored. 

because it is a small minded unimaginative, unispired, derivative experience that is, as a themepark, defiend 100% by the content it gives you. 

Rift.. it's easy to like the idea of it, on paper it looks great, and... 'hey! it works!'

but the reality?

Meh.

Dull.

IMO OFC (before people start spamming the report button).

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by NightAngell

They are going to have tough competition if they are making a shooter.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

Just one of the many sci-fi shooter MMOs that are in development or are coming out soon.

Yeah, joined in Jan.

This discussion has been closed.