Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm already bored... why?

Comments

• gamespamgamespam Member Posts: 456

Played 2 days here. Thought it would at LEAST last me a month.

Could have bought something more useful with $50. There's nothing wrong with the game, it's just not for me. I need something that is a challenge for the "pre-Close the Gap Generation".

Oh well, back to waiting until Archeage comes out next year, just to find out it sucks then repeat the process over again.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by gamespam

Could have bought something more useful with $50. There's nothing wrong with the game, it's just not for me. I need something that is a challenge for the "pre-Close the Gap Generation".

Oh well, back to waiting until Archeage comes out next year, just to find out it sucks then repeat the process over again.

I guarantee end game in this game would stomp you man. Come on. You can say you left because it is not hard enough. They made it easy to get to end game for a reason. Every single game releasing in the next year is doing this even GW2 is going to make it a joke to level.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Puremallace

Here is an idea. Go play a Korean MMO and come back and tell me this game is boring. It actually offers a hell of a lot, but you WoW guys are over loaded on the genre. The EQ guys are having some fun at end game since this game plays like WoW Vanilla.

'I did not say Rift was boring. I said playing the same model for many years get boring and you need variation at times.

And frankly follow Korean MMOs the same model but just fill it out with a lot more mob grinding.

To play some Eve instead could actually help, but not something similar but worse.

And don't call me a Wow guy!!!! I been playing since M59, the game EQ is based on.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The best thing about rift that way is the search for artifacts -- I loved going into the high parts of the zones and scaling the mountains -- and the low parts and going down so deep underwater you barely get back up before you die.  I liked scaling the trees to get to the upper rungs on a hang-over the cliff where if you fall you probably die then get the blue artifact.

If you are wondering why I am posting in the past tense though -- it is because they nerfed my paladin.  The TTB nerf destroyed my normal playstyle -- soloing rift invasions -- I can't do that any more post nerf.  It also destroyed the other part -- taking out 5 stages of a minor rift with 2 compatriots neither of which is a healer -- now I just die.

Hence the artis isnt enough to keep me going (I made it to 41st before the change).

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

You're bored because the games the same game as other games just with rifts and a bit more to the class system .. otherwise, same thing weve had for years.. 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

Originally posted by centkin

The best thing about rift that way is the search for artifacts -- I loved going into the high parts of the zones and scaling the mountains -- and the low parts and going down so deep underwater you barely get back up before you die.  I liked scaling the trees to get to the upper rungs on a hang-over the cliff where if you fall you probably die then get the blue artifact.

If you are wondering why I am posting in the past tense though -- it is because they nerfed my paladin.  The TTB nerf destroyed my normal playstyle -- soloing rift invasions -- I can't do that any more post nerf.  It also destroyed the other part -- taking out 5 stages of a minor rift with 2 compatriots neither of which is a healer -- now I just die.

Hence the artis isnt enough to keep me going (I made it to 41st before the change).

I am sorry but any and all MMOs will nerf some classes around launch time and later as well. At least any with PvP in them.

You don't see anything wrong with 3 players taking out an entire rift? I remembering pointing out that as a bad thing in the beta feedback, too easy.

But maybe you should have a look on your gear and build if you feel weak. 

I can tell you that there are some people in EQ2 that collects shinys way over their level. I used to farm GF as lvl 10, any aggro was instant death but I just needed one or 2 rare ones to afford gear and skills for the next 40 levels so dying a few times was worth it.

Originally posted by Loke666

I am sorry but any and all MMOs will nerf some classes around launch time and later as well. At least any with PvP in them.

You don't see anything wrong with 3 players taking out an entire rift? I remembering pointing out that as a bad thing in the beta feedback, too easy.

But maybe you should have a look on your gear and build if you feel weak. 

I can tell you that there are some people in EQ2 that collects shinys way over their level. I used to farm GF as lvl 10, any aggro was instant death but I just needed one or 2 rare ones to afford gear and skills for the next 40 levels so dying a few times was worth it.

It wasn't a nerf:

* Balance of Power, Tip the Balance: Fixed an issue where these were being additionally affected by Attack Power, making the heal amount greater than it should have been.

^ that was a bug that was not even supposed to be happening. A nerf to the Paladin soul would be if they changed Touch og Life to a 20min CD instead of 10min. I literally just got done play like 10 min and it feels identical today compared to yesterday before the patch lol

It wasn't a nerf:

* Balance of Power, Tip the Balance: Fixed an issue where these were being additionally affected by Attack Power, making the heal amount greater than it should have been.

^ that was a bug that was not even supposed to be happening. A nerf to the Paladin soul would be if they changed Touch og Life to a 20min CD instead of 10min. I literally just got done play like 10 min and it feels identical today compared to yesterday before the patch lol

Lol, now you are not thinking like a munchkin. To any tweaking Pally player it was a nerf.:)

• AmbreAmbre Member UncommonPosts: 104

As people said, Rift is a good pick if you're still have fun in games like EQ2, WoW, Lotro... etc, but you just need a change of atmosphere.

If you got bored in the first places by those games, Rift may have the same effect on you relatively fast, because even if well done, it's very similar in its form and content. Then it would be better to look for games offering different styles of gameplay : EVE, Dungeons and Dragons Online, City of Heroes, Darkfall... etc.

Check my blog on mmorpg.com.

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

Yeah, i mean, as the above post said rift is just like wow and that, so what makes me want to quit WoW which ive put years into to start over on a yeah ill say it, a clone of wow? not too much. 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

You fell for the hype even though you had plenty of warning. Me and others who played 42 levels of this souless and boring game tried to tell people like yourself not to waste your cash but we were shouted down. The rifts soon wear off and you are left with one of the most tunnel raill road mmo on the market today with two starter areas. I have been playing vanguard for 4 years and even with the lack of updates and the med population(it's picked up a lot) i have never been bored. Oh well they got your money so i guess Trion are happy.
  • IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Originally posted by kinido

Yeah, i mean, as the above post said rift is just like wow and that, so what makes me want to quit WoW which ive put years into to start over on a yeah ill say it, a clone of wow? not too much. 

Remember when Linus wouldn't give up his blankie...

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I'm not bored but then I have just been taking my time playing with a few friends. Game is good when you read the quests and get into the story lines and I really enjoyed the first warfront for some mindless pvp.

I guarantee end game in this game would stomp you man. Come on. You can say you left because it is not hard enough. They made it easy to get to end game for a reason. Every single game releasing in the next year is doing this even GW2 is going to make it a joke to level.

I understand that the endgame changes. I am/was following comments on endgame very closely before I bought it.

However, 3 days after I bought the game, I found myself hovering the mouse pointer over the launch icon on my desktop. I got the exact same feeling as running errands for my wife, a big sigh and saying to myself, "ok, let me get this over with so I can go to bed." Then I thought to myself, "What's the purpose of this game again?" I haven't logged on since.

There is NOTHING wrong with this game. I know it will do very well for a long time. I really want to stress that. I also knew full well, what I was getting into when I decided to buy it this week.

I don't feel burnt out. I want to play a great mmo. It's just not there (the genre as a whole currently). And if TOR and GW2 is all they have to offer, we're in BIG trouble as MMO fans. Well, GW2 is GW2. If you liked the first one, it's going to be great. TOR on the other hand, is going to shock some people. There are plenty of sites that explain/shows exactly what I mean by that. I have interest in Archeage but no way in hell will I get excited about it until after release.

I have 25 days left on my free 30. Maybe I'll mess around on it this weekend. Who knows?

Originally posted by NightAngell

You fell for the hype even though you had plenty of warning. Me and others who played 42 levels of this souless and boring game tried to tell people like yourself not to waste your cash but we were shouted down. The rifts soon wear off and you are left with one of the most tunnel raill road mmo on the market today with two starter areas. I have been playing vanguard for 4 years and even with the lack of updates and the med population(it's picked up a lot) i have never been bored. Oh well they got your money so i guess Trion are happy.

You are correct sir. However, I am not bitter, just bored. I let bordom get the best of me. Usually it's worth it but this time was not the case. I recommend, booze, drugs, and hookers. Video doing crazy crap to them and send copies to all your friends back in that States. Its WAY better.

GW2 has specifically said their leveling is linear. If you think people leveled fast in Rift then just wait. Welcome to post WoW mmo's. The days of Everquest grind levels in America are long gone.

Aion proved Americans have zero tolerance for grind levels anymore. All of these games coming out are going to be end game focused for a good reason because the NA/EU audience is getting what they want.

It is boring some people, but a majority are just loving it.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by GPrestige

Let me start off by saying that Rift is an absolutely fantastic game. It has had one of the best launches I've ever been a part of, and everything seems polished to the extent of an MMO thats already been out for a year. However, I feel I'm bored already, and when I see so many people claiming how much fun they are having I think that I'm missing something.

For those of you who love the game, understand that I really do like it. It is fun, for the most part, and offers a different take on the same stuff. Basically, I love WoW. Once I heard people were saying it is an MMO like WoW, and is really polished, I considered that a GOOD thing. I mean, I've played WoW for years, and the only thing I was really bored of was the lore/story/world ie. I wanted a change in world only. What better way to get that, than to play Rift?

But, when it came down to it, I managed to play since headstart and I find myself getting a little bored. I don't know if it is because it feels like I have done this before, or if I'm just getting bored of MMOs. I'll admit, I'm really excited for GW2 and SWToR because they CLAIM to be bringing something new to the table. I just don't see myself being able to play this for any longer than the free month period. I'm probably just one of the many who will quit after the free month, but the difference with me is I don't know WHY I'm bored. That is why I come to you, I need help figuring out just what the hell has me feeling bored each time I log on.

I'm also hoping there are others here who feel the same way; they like it but can't bring themselves to log on much.

This thread is meant in no way to start an argument between people who like it and dislike it, I think this is a chance for people to voice their opinion. Try to be as constructive as possible. If you are going to come in and just say "the game sucks" with no valid explenation as to why you think so, then don't bother. I want to hear what you think, because it might help me and others in the same situation.

I think this is a no brainer. You're just bored of the gameplay (ie. gathering quests, completing quests, doing instances, and BG's).

I agree, it's a fun game and well polished. Worth of someones time if they enjoy WoW, EQ2, or LoTRO, but is bored of those worlds and want a new world and classes to explore. You're apparently bored with this type of gameplay in general. You also probably have been playing too much and thus getting burnt out on the game.

I too am getting bored and have quit my lvl 27 Champion and rerolled 3 times. My latest reroll has been to the opposite faction, and I'm playing a tank instead of dps, so it's a little more fun than it has been in the last week. However, I'll probably get bored again once I get in the 20's and leveling slows down and the quests become more numerous at any given time.

I'm also waiting in anticipation for SW:TOR, because I love Bioware's style on RPG's and Star Wars in particular. Until then, I think RIFT is the best option if you're bored with past released games already and want to play a MMO.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

GW2 has specifically said their leveling is linear. If you think people leveled fast in Rift then just wait. Welcome to post WoW mmo's. The days of Everquest grind levels in America are long gone.

Not really linear, but it plateaus. Anyway, if it were up to me there would be no levels. Here's hoping The Secret World pans out.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

To bring up something different....

Since this game is very similar to WoW in many respects, what do people do in WoW after they did their raid and a few arena games?  Most of the people I know were bored in game, or did something else till the "fun stuff" rolled around again.  I would wonder if this is very similar in that respect?  It's a casual themepark.  So you have a few "rides" to do a week with a limited number of tickets (locks/games per week/etc).  Themeparks don't lend themselves very much to things outside of that.

Just a thought.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

It sure seems like that. It would be nice to have a good sandbox mmo that would get a lot of backing from a producer. But it seems they are just playing it safe by going with the themeparks.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985

We have done it all before; many, many times. You may need to take a MMO break, I have before a couple of times for a few months.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

new mmo player evolution: you start playing wow. play it a few years. jump on another game just like wow. realize that it's the same old story. get bored.

you may be ready to get to the next level aka sandbox mmos. you know those more or less niche games no big combpany cares to develop. the games with the freedom to do whatever the player wants. no hand taking and the like. the games the crowd doesn't like that much cuz no one is there to hold their hand :P

you could go and check: eve, darkfall, earthrise, mortal online, xsyon and the like :P

but before you start calling for instances, battlegrounds, instanced raid dungeons in the  forums of those games...just take a break and play rift again, promise me ^^

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by LydarSynn

I can relate to the original poster. I like MMOs or rather I like what they could become. I played Rift beta and couldn't rationalize spending the money on it.  In the end, MMOs are static worlds in which it makes no difference what the player does. The world dosn't change and there isn't even any challenge of survival.  Gold and items are easy to come by and no matter how good or bad you are at the game, everyone will reach maximum level if they play long enough. No matter how polished the game is, it is still more of the same that developers have been churning out for more than a decade.  There is always some fantastic story where the player is supposed to be some kind of hero. However, real or fictional heroes that grab one's attention have one thing in common- there is a risk of loss. In MMOs, you can't lose. Once you have read all the similar story lines, played all the similar mechanics and grinded your way to max level on a few games, there isn't much more to these games right now than being on a merry go round.

Just for the sake of argument, what's so wrong with a merry go round? By that logic there would be no single player games in the world. It's like getting a fresh new round of co-op levels to burn through with your buddies.

I like the idea of raiding. I think tackling tough PvE crap with a bunch of your buddies (this ends up being the key, running with douche bags just ofr the sake of being able to down things will leave you frustrated) is what drives me to play MMOs. My problem right now is with the execution. If Tera comes out with some good raiding/classes - Oh baby. It probably won't, but still.

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by NightAngell

Your opinion == fact, that's all I can say. Maybe you should learn to accept that.

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

*yawn*  This is nothing new.. ON EVERY GAME THEY RELEASED.  100% someone is going to post like this.  Just dont follow the hype.  Just do the beta.. dont pull out wallet until u know u will play for long time.  Thats why I have not bought any game for 1 year because I beta them.. saved me ton of money.  I been playing whatever game that moods me till new game that really attracts me but of course im not going to buy until i can free-trial or beta it FIRST!

Hurry up Diablo 3!!! LALALALA

Forsaken World is gonna be cash shop dependant like Atlantica Online.  So its a no go for me. :)

Kain_Dale

This discussion has been closed.