Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to decide between EQ2 and Rift

2»

Comments

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Well, in EQ2 the high levels can always lacky or mentor  down (or what ever it is called).  So you really just need to find a guild and there is always someone with an alt or their main willing to mentor down.

However, the graphics are not as good in EQ2......I am looking forward to EQNext.....and Archeage.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Waiting for:
    Swords of the new world: Granado espada
    DOMO

Playing: Ge Sg beta test
    Rappelz
    trickster

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

they're BOTH good games.

can't go wrong either way IMHO.

EQ2 is a little more suited towards crafters and RPers who like the EQ lore.  you can have house parties!

RIFT is the one of the 2 that doesnt try to nickel & dime you with a cash shop.

I feel they are both immersive in their own way but i can't speak for rift's end game since i'm level 20 :)

EQ2 endgame is mostly if not all PVE and some of their raid bosses are very difficult.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

One things for sure: You don't play EQ 2 for the graphics nowadays. But the most important thing is, that EQ 2 never really revovered from the blow that WoW gave them, so today EQ 2 is populated by very few people who are bound together by a fanatic hatred towards WoW and not mu8cn else.

Right.. We are all just WoW haters.. LOL

As a person who actually plays EQ2 I can tell you honestly that we have a good population on servers.. They recently did a server merge so we have fewer servers with much higher populations. I am never LFG long. The game has a few things that Rift does not have.. For instance Housing if you like that. I personally wont play a game with no housing. We have a in depth achievement system where you can customize your character for different rolls. Good story lines if you like that.. Excellent crafting system with separate story lines for them. Guilds range from casual social to HC raiding. And honestly it can be as structured and linier or as sandbox as you like.. There is no shortage of variety of things to do and on many servers if you say *I am new how do I do X* you will get a helpful answer from at least one person, usually more if its prime time.

I did beta test Rift from the beginning.. It is a polished and pretty game.. For me that is all it was.. Seemed like just more of what I all ready have with EQ2 so I decided not to leave my established characters and guild to start from scratch.

Many people like Rift and thats awsome.. I hope they play and enjoy it for years.. But alot of people still play EQ2 also.. And we enjoy it still :)

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

EQ2 is old and will be still old later. Rift is currently a new game where everyone is trying to find out things, and will be old later.

So you can play an old game later anyway, but for now...

• blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86

in my opinion you should stay at eq2. 

and the rift system is the same as the public quest system in WAR.. so nothing new. players in WAR fast got bored of it... same with me in rift beta.. after four rifts and one raid i had enough and just leveled my char

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

I've played both games.

I found Eq2 ( extended )  is full of stuff to do, but looks glued together and plastic looking. I also found that after the starter areas, everyone levels through the same area's. There is little variety. NOTHING dynamic at all about EQ2. I like the crafting system though.

I liked all of Eq2's races and class too!

I've found Rift to be very exciting. I've found myself involved with sudden, epic battles countless times. There are times when it's quiet and I can get some questing done, but just when things seem to get a bit boring...blam! ..massive invasion opens up right on top of my head.

I can see how some like the soul system, but I won't be taking much advantage of it. I would rather build a toon from scratch and deal with any flaws. That's part of the fun for me. Learning how to work around a toon's weaknesses instead of just switching roles.

The sole system isn't a big selling point for me, but it doesn't take away anything either. It's not like one HAS to use it.

Crafting in Rift is meh! I would like to see more there

I'm having a blast in Rift and looking forward to playing it for years to come.

OP might want to consider the fact that Rift has years of growth ahead of it. It's exciting to be a part of a growing game. I would be sold on just that alone.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

EQ2 is old and tired nowadays, the graphics are shocking, the gameplay hideously dated and it's not very newbie friendly because of it's age, very hard to find players to group with in low levels anymore.

Rift is just better in every way except the storyline which is painfully bad. Thankfully the immersion in Rift is provided by the atmospherics of the game itself, not the lore or the story.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

well it isnt worth the time to be a part of "a growing game" when the game doesnt have much alternatives to do. there are always the same rifts just at other places and questing... well you have to like it in every game. the grafic is beautifull, sure thing... i prefer good old eq2, because there are more things to do... just find a guild to hang around and everything will be nice. if someone prefers newer stuff... well there are much better games than rift.. eve online to example :P

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140

You're probably going to see less EQ2 content than you would see Rift content if you started them now.

Sure, EQ2 has had several expansions and content patches. But when's the last time you were able to get a group for low level HQs, or Mines of Meldrath, or Ancient's Table, Windstalker Roost, Mistmoore Castle/Catacombs, Karnor's Castle, etc.

Here are your choices pretty much:

EQ2:

You'll be soloing to level cap, Maybe seeing a few people on your way up. Once you reach level cap, you're going to have a tough time getting caught up with everyone gear/stats wise. You'll probably have to solo your epic weapon quest (which may or may not be too difficult depending on your class) and then hope to get a group to change that into your class specific buff/ability.

It's going to take a lot of work to get in enough to enjoy it, and you'll almost need to get in a guild with helpful people to actually make that work managable. Once you get there though, it's pretty fun.

Rift:

As long as you start within, I'd say the next week or so, you'll see a good deal of other people all the way up. You'll be able to run group Rifts and Dungeons on your way up.  I've seen the queues in Rift have more people than some of the servers in EQ2 have online, so population is much better.

Downside is, as stated, it's a new MMO, limited content. But there is content to do while leveling. EQ2 will be leveling to get to content.

btw... eq2x is full of peoples.. sometimes you have to camp a spawn to get your quest done

• GalacticBatGalacticBat Member UncommonPosts: 14

If Im the OP and reading these coments, then I am no closer to a decission than before asking. Good arguments for both titles. So let me ask this question...

Do you want your money going to Trion or SOE?

For me, that question is easier to answer.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

to the OP, you should play what you enjoy the most..... 

now in my personal opinion.... i dont feel EQ2 worth the same monthly fee than other better games ($15)... it should be maybe US%10 its ok..... and EQ2X will cost u more cos u have to pay for all the limitations of being "freemium", i would definitely pay for rift instead of EQ2.... but thats just my personal opinion......  you stick with the first sentence :p

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by Exavus

I started playing Rift and I find its a polished game with a lot going for it but I'm just not entertained leveling up. The quests are slow/boring and the areas don't seem very exciting. The dialogue seems a little stale as well but I do like the graphics/class system not to mention its a lot more populated now than your standard EQ2 server.

What I really like about EQ2 is all the named monsters and achievement points were always something fun to aim for. A massive variety in areas and I thought the dialogue/lore was exciting and well thought out. these things heavily draw me torwards that game. The downside is it doesn't feel as fluid and smooth as Rift and the rift events seem pretty neat. But Rifts artstyle seems copy/pasted from Warhammer and that kinda upset me a little.

It seems that you've already answered your question. Stay with EQ 2.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

I played EQII for a couple of years and enjoyed it but the crafting system made me insane it was so BORING and unless this is changed in the past year I'll stick to my opinion.

Player and Guild housing in EQII was excellent and one of my favorite features from the game but in the end it didn't keep my interest - mainly because it just kinda meh to me.

Rift so far as been much more fun overall. The UI works well and is intuitive and the combat is as fluid as it gets. The world raid idea was brilliant and allows anyone interested to easily join in epic battles just by heading to the area of the Rift(s) and clicking Join Public Group.

The last Rift we did last night involved the 'Death' variety and included a mass ...I mean MASS of werewolves culminating with one very large and nasty Werebeast which took the entire raid of more than 60 people about 5+ minutes to take down. And of course everyone got some sweet goodies in our personal loot for participating.

The game also has a fantastic atmosphere and in the town of Gloamwood where the werewolves were reminded me of Transylvania...with all of it's erie misty goodness - timewise in the 1500-1600's.

Trion will be adding player and guild housing in future content updates from what I've heard and they're on track to make Rift one helluva game. I can't play Wow or EQII after Rift...I just can't.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.