Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift SOS

124»

Comments

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by RiftFan
    Here is an example:
    I approach a water rift in Moonshade. There are 5 NPC's and these non hostile NPC's that look like little squids.Well when you attack the first npc's his little 10 squid buddies start attacking and doing zero damage until you notice the Debuff called [Thousand Pincers of Doom] <--- I am not lyingThis debuff reduces your armor by 5% and I got up to 10 stacks.The next stage was just fun fun and impossible to solo. So about 5 little crocodile guys appear. When you attack one they start healing each other.

That's not really "different" than a low level kill-everything rift. It's still stages of mobs to kill till you close the rift. Maybe there's some little tweak, but it's still the same basic structure. Everyone talks about how much more involved and varied higher level rifts are, but I'm just not seeing it from the few descriptions.

Something where we have to sacrifice a player to close one might be cool, or you need to spend rare items collected randomly to close one? But if all it ever is is just killing waves of mobs, cutesy debuffs or not, then that's some pretty plain and eventually boring end game there.

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

Sac/Killing a teammate isn't good design, because imposed death isn't really that fun of a mechanic. High-risk of death and insta-gib-if-you-don't-read-this skills are one thing, but not as a barrier of entry/minimum completion.

There's also Raid-Rifts that aren't fully implemented, but look to be vairants of the Rift-Tears where you open one with the item and its a more complex/specific event. I don't believe these are in Live yet, but they were mentioned in the test-server notes.

There's also the Major/Minor surface rifts, and while a lot are just kill-events with buff/debuff management, that's still a lot of the mid-level regions (Moonshade is lvl~36 which was example event), so theres still probably 1-2 more tiers of difficulty/complexity above that.

Also, some of these Rifts start by spawning solo-able mobs. A number of Minor rifts can be solo'd, and when designing around 1-player, you do have some limits in terms of mechanical-diversity. The rifts can all scale, but a lot will have that solo-able start phase.

Either way, the Rift events do their job well. Hopefully we'll see new events go in with content updates, that'll probably help to keep some of them from feeling stale in long run, but there are definitely a good number to try and participate/complete for the moment.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

I'm already getting sick of the far too frequent invasion events that cause all of my quest NPC's to disappear and insta gank me as I try to do what quests I have out in the field.  They last way too long, even when they fail and since the XP and rewards were nefed to hell and back in beta, are hardly worth the effort of doing them.

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by Soki123
    Rifts are going to be the downfall of this game.

Maybe they want to drive away the people only interested in soloing and questing?

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by quasar941

Maybe they want to drive away the people only interested in soloing and questing?

Pretty much my thinking.

The game is called Rift, it's based around rifts.

The entire 'theme' that sets Rift apart from other MMOs is, surprise, rifts. Ranging from the public encounters rifts are, to the invasions that come out, and the footholds those invasions take on quest hubs. It's intention is to make the game more dynamic beyond the bland quest or dungeon grind, and it very much succeeds in doing that.

Which is why I find it entirely ironic when people who complain that rifts are annoying and get in the way... They're supposed to. They're meant to interfere with the game world, which includes players.

Doubly ironic are the people that complain that the game is bland and offers nothing new... are also generally the people who fall into the aforementioned 'disliking rifts' group.

The reality is that Rift does offer new gameplay through innovative re-use of pre-existing game mechanics in a novel way. Some people love it, and they're enjoying Rift. Others hate it, and can't do anything but whine about the game.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

Then good luck keeping a healthy gaming population and as a result, their profit margin.

Originally posted by Solestran
    I'm already getting sick of the far too frequent invasion events that cause all of my quest NPC's to disappear and insta gank me as I try to do what quests I have out in the field.  They last way too long, even when they fail and since the XP and rewards were nefed to hell and back in beta, are hardly worth the effort of doing them.

Me too. This is precisely what made me cancel already. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing the rift events when I want to do them but I resent having content that I might not be interested in doing at that moment forced upon me. I understand that some people might actually enjoy this kind of thing so I'm going to stop short of saying this is a design flaw or something but I still think it could stand to be tweaked a bit.

Me too. This is precisely what made me cancel already. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing the rift events when I want to do them but I resent having content that I might not be interested in doing at that moment forced upon me. I understand that some people might actually enjoy this kind of thing so I'm going to stop short of saying this is a design flaw or something but I still think it could stand to be tweaked a bit.

Most rifts are placed beside quest areas, not directly inside them, meaning you can still go about questing relatively uneventfully. The only difference is that you may occasionally have to wait 5-10 minutes for a foothold to be cleared out a quest hub so you can turn in your quests.

Honestly if that's such a huge inconvenience, you should probably go back to playing world of snorecraft where you can grind quests in a blandly static world that never inconveniences you in the least.

Rift is supposed to be dynamic, which means things change and can sometimes be inconvenient. But that's what makes the game a lot more interesting that your bland quest grinders.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Ceridith

Pretty much my thinking.

The game is called Rift, it's based around rifts.

The entire 'theme' that sets Rift apart from other MMOs is, surprise, rifts. Ranging from the public encounters rifts are, to the invasions that come out, and the footholds those invasions take on quest hubs. It's intention is to make the game more dynamic beyond the bland quest or dungeon grind, and it very much succeeds in doing that.

Which is why I find it entirely ironic when people who complain that rifts are annoying and get in the way... They're supposed to. They're meant to interfere with the game world, which includes players.

Doubly ironic are the people that complain that the game is bland and offers nothing new... are also generally the people who fall into the aforementioned 'disliking rifts' group.

The reality is that Rift does offer new gameplay through innovative re-use of pre-existing game mechanics in a novel way. Some people love it, and they're enjoying Rift. Others hate it, and can't do anything but whine about the game.

Not to dismiss the complaints of people who dont' like them but I also agree.

I was thinking about this same subject last night.

I opened up my map, saw that there were no rifts so decided to take some quests. Went about doing that. It was ok, very relaxing. Then suddenly the Rift invasionpalooza started!

I was off.

following invasion groups until I saw that there was a group coming from the other direction so a decent force to attack with, going form rift to rift, closing them and then finding thei invasion forces that spawned.

at one point I had to help liberate a hub several times. There was even one battle in one of the larger hubs that was just non-stop, they just kept coming wave after wave.

After it was over I realized I had a decent chunk of xp, planarite for upgrading my equipment and a sense that I was very active and involved.

Then I went back and collected the 10 core somethings, turned it in and decided that was it for quests. I waited for another invasion, some small stuff so I just logged.

Point is, I think the game is about the invasions. It's not about "you can quest or pvp or craft or rfit or 'whatever!'"

The Rifts are a central feature to the game. And some people are not going to like this.

However, because they are a central feature of the game, Trion needs to worry about burning out their playerbase. I think they are still experimenting.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Most rifts are placed beside quest areas, not directly inside them, meaning you can still go about questing relatively uneventfully. The only difference is that you may occasionally have to wait 5-10 minutes for a foothold to be cleared out a quest hub so you can turn in your quests.
    Honestly if that's such a huge inconvenience, you should probably go back to playing world of snorecraft where you can grind quests in a blandly static world that never inconveniences you in the least.
    Rift is supposed to be dynamic, which means things change and can sometimes be inconvenient. But that's what makes the game a lot more interesting that your bland quest grinders.

Who said all I wanted to do was quests? My complaint was that there were times when I wanted to take a break from doing rifts to catch up on other things and was unable to do so. Did that simple complaint really deserve such a snarky, smart-assed response?

This "if you don't play just like me you're doing it wrong" mindset has gotten really tiresome.

Who said all I wanted to do was quests? My complaint was that there were times when I wanted to take a break from doing rifts to catch up on other things and was unable to do so. Did that simple complaint really deserve such a snarky, smart-assed response?

This "if you don't play just like me you're doing it wrong" mindset has gotten really tiresome.

You can still quest, harvest resources, collect artifacts, do instances, etc. The one thing you can't do is afk at a quest hub indefinitely and expect to always be safe. Rifts and invasions do not impede you from doing anything, they just make things more dangerous.

If there is something that you are legitimately locked out of doing, please elaborate it to me, I'd love to know. If not, then my smart ass comments are a justified response to what are otherwise baseless complaints over non-issues.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Originally posted by Endo13

Having played quite a bit in the beta and now since head start began, I see two major problems Rift has, that together are going to drive their target market (disillusioned WoW players) right back to where they came from. They're going to have to change these two things, and FAST if they want to keep those players around.

#1. Probably the number one complaint on the rift forums: getting dismounted by mobs. Anything and everything can dismount you, regardless of what mount you're using or what level you are. You can be a level 50 riding past a level 8 mob, get hit twice, and BAM, dismounted. I know I'm not going to put up with that crap long-term, and I'm 100% sure the majority of other players won't either. To make matters worse, the "new" content Rift has that WoW doesn't (rifts....) requires mobility, and running around in the zone. No one wants to have to stop and fight crap en-route to a rift or an invasion boss every 30 seconds.

This issue is really a common sense thing, and honestly I have no clue why it was ever designed like this in the first place.

#2. Large-scale invasion events. The idea is awesome, but their implementation needs some work. Why, you ask? Population. I did see this coming, but I think a lot of other players didn't. You have to have sufficient players to handle the large-scale invasion events. If you don't, your entire zone eventually gets over-run, and you're basically screwed until it's over. During beta, and so far (for the most part) in live it's not been a problem... at least as far as most people can see. That's because the starting zones are huge, and encompass quite a large level range, so there's a lot of players in that zone, and the invasion events are easily handled. The next zone isn't too bad either. But on my shard, in the zone after that there's rarely enough people to handle invasion events, and I've found out all too well how that works out for players. Bottom line is, it doesn't. Some events literally take over the entire zone: questing areas, quest hubs, and roads. You literally can do practically nothing except try completing the invasion event and dieing horribly over and over again because you just don't have enough people. Or, you can simply log out and wait for the event to go away. I don't know about other players, but I know *I* am not going to pay to play a game where I routinely have to log out for 45 minutes or an hour every couple hours simply because there's not enough players to complete the content.

And I can tell you without a doubt, this WILL be how it plays out, unless they fix it. Server/shard population is hard enough to maintain at the crucial balance needed to complete such large-scale content (and at the same time, not cause login queues), but then you also have to worry about zone population. And that, frankly, is impossible to balance because you're inevitably going to get to a point where most active players are level 50, all the low-level zones are routinely overrun, and no one's going to play new characters for very long simply because it's way too frustrating.

The only real solution I can see to this is to parse the zone for population just before the event starts, and scale the event accordingly.

I agree on the dismount problem but...it adds some how a realistic feeling.... you have to watch where you go...no just running around areas like you are god. Can be easily solved anyway.

About the dinamic invasions.... I think you are totally wrong...THEY DO SCALE depending on how many people are in that area....so sure can be handled,maybe people didn´t show up to defend? Maybe most of them where fighting in another part of the map and the invasion cought you & raped you? You can still get the outposts back so i don´t see any problems with that.

I really don´t think those 2 points are going to kick back players to where they came from.... really...

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

When people are actually logging off from the game to avoid content then there are probably issues with that content that need to be addressed.

I fail to see how a personal choice to avoid content equates to an issue with the content itself.

You have every opportunity to get some friends together and go clear those mobs so you can do whatever you were doing previously.

• Most rifts are placed beside quest areas, not directly inside them, meaning you can still go about questing relatively uneventfully. The only difference is that you may occasionally have to wait 5-10 minutes for a foothold to be cleared out a quest hub so you can turn in your quests.

And here is the issue.

Fanbois are always the first to tell someone "go back to world of snorecraft" yet are dismayed when they do and they find themselves in a game hats all but failing due to lack of population. They are also the last ones to understand what this was caused by. It takes a few months for this to happen buts it been the downfall of every game released since WoW.

It seems to me that is far better to address the issues that might make players quit, look for compromise (not that you can actually make the changes) than it is too drive them there because of an attitude that a certain game should be worshiped.

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Kost

When people are actually logging off from the game to avoid content then there are probably issues with that content that need to be addressed.
    I fail to see how a personal choice to avoid content equates to an issue with the content itself.
    You have every opportunity to get some friends together and go clear those mobs so you can do whatever you were doing previously.

The point is, that's not what you WANT to be doing. It's disruptive to gameplay and not always possible to just "get some friends together to clear it".

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by eoweth

Originally posted by Kost

The point is, that's not what you WANT to be doing. It's disruptive to gameplay and not always possible to just "get some friends together to clear it".

Well, as to the first part, I'm not sure every game has to be a "I want to do this so I'm going to do it" type of game. I'm used to a more hard core game where the game play was always changing on any given day. That was the game and that was what I signed up for.

Same with Rift. I don't think (though time will tell) that it is a game where players have a mapped out idea of exactly how their play session will be. There are disruptive elements. That's the game. That for me is a plus. It's not dangerous if I can completely ignore any element of danger. Coming down the road only to see a large invasion force heading straight my way is a good thing.

As for the second part, I have yet to pass by a hub that wasn't eventually re-taken by players.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Malkosha

And here is the issue.

Fanbois are always the first to tell someone "go back to world of snorecraft" yet are dismayed when they do and they find themselves in a game hats all but failing due to lack of population. They are also the last ones to understand what this was caused by. It takes a few months for this to happen buts it been the downfall of every game released since WoW.

It seems to me that is far better to address the issues that might make players quit, look for compromise (not that you can actually make the changes) than it is too drive them there because of an attitude that a certain game should be worshiped.

The problem is actually that most of the complaints are merely conflicts in personal preference, not core game mechanic issues.

I just find it absolutely ironic that so many of the people complaining, are the same gamers who whined and complain they want something different, something that isn't more of the same old static junk. Then, when they get that, they complain that they can't play the game as if it were the same old static junk MMO that had them begging for change in the first place.

Honestly the whining is getting really tiresome.

The simple truth is that rifts and invasions do not legitimately impede you from doing anything in the game. At best you can run around rifts and invasion forces, and at worse you have to wait 5-10 minutes for players to take back a quest hub. The only people having problems are the ones too lazy or easily put off by any measure of inconvenience.

What makes Rift uniquene from other MMOs is it's dynamic rift content. Rifts, invasions, and everything else related to them  are supposed to have an impact on the game, particularly yours and everyone else's gameplay. Yet at the same time, any impact there is can be easily avoided or resolved with a little bit of effort. If Trion removes the effect rifts and invasions have, then there's virtually no reason to even have them, and then there's virtually nothing that truly makes Rift as a game unique from the competition.

I'm no fanboy, I'll definitely attest to the fact that the game is by no means perfect. It's got it's balance issues, bugs, etc, some of which have annoyed me a good bit -- plane shifting through the world for example. But, these issues are being acknowledged and adressed by Trion. More end-game content is also being added to give people more to do at max level.

But, I'm severely annoyed at the people who complain about the game's core game mechanic, as if it's some glaringly huge flaw in the game. Honestly, it's what makes Rift, Rift. I love the rifts, the ivnasions, it makes the game world feel alive, and like I'm actually participating in it, rather than only running from point A to B doing boring quests.

Complaining about the influence of rifts in Rift would be like complaining about being PK'd in Darkfall. Honestly, if you don't like having to deal with the design focus of the game, then why the hell are you even playing the game?

• Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by Malkosha

And here is the issue.

The problem is actually that most of the complaints are merely conflicts in personal preference, not core game mechanic issues.
    I just find it absolutely ironic that so many of the people complaining, are the same gamers who whined and complain they want something different, something that isn't more of the same old static junk. Then, when they get that, they complain that they can't play the game as if it were the same old static junk MMO that had them begging for change in the first place.
    Honestly the whining is getting really tiresome.
    The simple truth is that rifts and invasions do not legitimately impede you from doing anything in the game. At best you can run around rifts and invasion forces, and at worse you have to wait 5-10 minutes for players to take back a quest hub. The only people having problems are the ones too lazy or easily put off by any measure of inconvenience.
    What makes Rift uniquene from other MMOs is it's dynamic rift content. Rifts, invasions, and everything else related to them  are supposed to have an impact on the game, particularly yours and everyone else's gameplay. Yet at the same time, any impact there is can be easily avoided or resolved with a little bit of effort. If Trion removes the effect rifts and invasions have, then there's virtually no reason to even have them, and then there's virtually nothing that truly makes Rift as a game unique from the competition.
    I'm no fanboy, I'll definitely attest to the fact that the game is by no means perfect. It's got it's balance issues, bugs, etc, some of which have annoyed me a good bit -- plane shifting through the world for example. But, these issues are being acknowledged and adressed by Trion. More end-game content is also being added to give people more to do at max level.
    But, I'm severely annoyed at the people who complain about the game's core game mechanic, as if it's some glaringly huge flaw in the game. Honestly, it's what makes Rift, Rift. I love the rifts, the ivnasions, it makes the game world feel alive, and like I'm actually participating in it, rather than only running from point A to B doing boring quests.
    Complaining about the influence of rifts in Rift would be like complaining about being PK'd in Darkfall. Honestly, if you don't like having to deal with the design focus of the game, then why the hell are you even playing the game?

Actually, you make some very good ... if not outstanding points.

I've been playing these things for so long I've lost track of the years. Everyone seems to want the "next big thing", they want "something new" they want "something different and unique" but when they get it all they do is complain.

Its not just different games with different ideas, its also represented within the same game. They want a change to their class but when they get it someone always has to whine about it.

I guess that's just the community or maybe its just people in general.

As an example, at work we have people working on PC's. They do "A" then "B" then "C". They do it everyday. They want a change but this is the job they are paid to do.

Now, switch around "A" with "C" so its now "C" then "B" the "A". Same job but in a different order. Not only do they complain but now they demand training sessions.

I guess MMORPG's are just like that those job scenarios and the players are just like those people. They may say they want different but when they get it, its all whining and crying.