Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift SOS

Comments

• Endo13Endo13 Member Posts: 187

Originally posted by Dkompoze

Originally posted by Endo13

Originally posted by Leucrotta

I just dont understand why people play a game called RIFT but complain about the RIFTS --  GO FIGURE.

Just because the game is called Rift people need to close rifts 24/7?

you dont have to do any rifts if you dont want to no one is forced to do any rifts at all-- but  rifts are a big focus of the game- hence the name rift -there are tons of ways to progress thru the game and get loot without doing rifts--you do rifts by choice so dont cry if you choose to do them

If that were actually true, there would be no issue. It's not true. Wait until you find yourself in a higher level zone with insufficient player population to defeat the invasion events. Unlike Silverwood or Freemarch, there are no areas where you can safely go quest and ignore the invasion. You will find the entire zone taken over, and there is nothing you can do about it besides log off. If you think I am making this up, don't take my word for it: keep playing. You will see.

I have seen it-- invasions dont last forever -- just go run some warfronts- you get good exp from that-- go craft--  or run some dungeons- you act like questing is the only thing to do- go do some open world pvp- cmon i have seen it in scarwood reach - that didnt mean there werent things to do to gain exp until the invasion was over - geez

Your answer is still the same as what I've already given: run and hide until the event is over. These events last 45 minutes to upwards of an hour. This is not an acceptable solution for the vast majority of the players they are targeting with their marketing.

Don't take my word for it - wait and see where the game population is at 3 months from now if they don't fix this stuff. They're targeting possibly the most demanding and fickle playerbase in the world. If you want to keep those players, you have to deliver what they want. Trion has a couple major changes to make if they want to achieve that.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Kremlik

The mount bit I'll give you however the rest is kinda debunked TBH - i beleave the size of the events are based on population in the zones, so the zones wont be 'overrun' as badly as it looks now theres a LOT of players in the starting area still as it's only just been released and many only have had this weekend to play, my shard for instance has an invation of 30 dark rifts this weekend whereas during the weekday afternoon it was 5 or 6 in the same zone..

They SAY that these events are scaled, but I will tell you that MY experience in the beta was the same as what the OP stated. If there are not enough people, you're NOT going to complete the event.  Now I don't know what kind of "scaling" they think they're doing, but it's obviouslly not entirely effective. So I can't consider his complaint "debunked" as you say.

EDIT: By the way, this was one of the several reasons that I chose not to play RIFT after the beta. It was not, by far, my only reason, but it was ONE of the reasons.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Originally posted by just1opinion

The mount bit I'll give you however the rest is kinda debunked TBH - i beleave the size of the events are based on population in the zones, so the zones wont be 'overrun' as badly as it looks now theres a LOT of players in the starting area still as it's only just been released and many only have had this weekend to play, my shard for instance has an invation of 30 dark rifts this weekend whereas during the weekday afternoon it was 5 or 6 in the same zone..

They SAY that these events are scaled, but I will tell you that MY experience in the beta was the same as what the OP stated. If there are not enough people, you're NOT going to complete the event.  Now I don't know what kind of "scaling" they think they're doing, but it's obviouslly not entirely effective. So I can't consider his complaint "debunked" as you say.

EDIT: By the way, this was one of the several reasons that I chose not to play RIFT after the beta. It was not, by far, my only reason, but it was ONE of the reasons.

The scaling system can be tricky. IF there are many players around, Rifts and invasions will be impossible to solo and you'll find yourself HAVING to find the other players (usually fighting another nearby Rift or invasion) and maybe *gasp* use the chat channels to communicate.

The perception that "you're NOT going to complete the event" is understandable but not true. This is MY experience based on beta, headstart and since release.

I'm in Melbourne, Australia so I play peak time on NA servers (my weekend mornings) and then sometimes in the evenings as well. So I see the zones at high and low population phases.

My perspective is that the scaling works very well. The mass events are fun and on the zerg-fest side but massive and give the feeling of a real invasion. At low population phase, you tend to go solo or group with just a few players BUT you cooperate more and I find that really fun/satisfying. Heck, you can even cooperate with the NPCs and time your stand with theirs.

BASICALLY... see a Rift/Invasion then check for elites. If there are elites then look around for other players, which is easy because they will be there since elites only spawn when there are decent numbers in the zone.

Regarding mounts - I agree that when getting to Rifts and Invasions it is very annoying if you have to stop and fight off low level nuisance mobs. I hope they change this too.

Originally posted by Strap

Originally posted by just1opinion

The scaling system can be tricky. IF there are many players around, Rifts and invasions will be impossible to solo and you'll find yourself HAVING to find the other players (usually fighting another nearby Rift or invasion) and maybe *gasp* use the chat channels to communicate.

The perception that "you're NOT going to complete the event" is understandable but not true. This is MY experience based on beta, headstart and since release.

I'm in Melbourne, Australia so I play peak time on NA servers (my weekend mornings) and then sometimes in the evenings as well. So I see the zones at high and low population phases.

My perspective is that the scaling works very well. The mass events are fun and on the zerg-fest side but massive and give the feeling of a real invasion. At low population phase, you tend to go solo or group with just a few players BUT you cooperate more and I find that really fun/satisfying. Heck, you can even cooperate with the NPCs and time your stand with theirs.

BASICALLY... see a Rift/Invasion then check for elites. If there are elites then look around for other players, which is easy because they will be there since elites only spawn when there are decent numbers in the zone.

Regarding mounts - I agree that when getting to Rifts and Invasions it is very annoying if you have to stop and fight off low level nuisance mobs. I hope they change this too.

Not from what I've seen. There are invasion events that spawn elites whether there are players around or not. I've seen very few invasions be completed successfully on my shard in Crimson Wash and higher zones, because there's almost never enough people. So if they are trying to scale them, they're doing it wrong. End of story.

So no, I can't say for sure whether there's any validity to what you say at all, but on the practical side of things as pertains to players it's a bunch of hogwash, and when it comes to keeping players around that is the only side that matters. Perception is everything, and right now what they're giving us looks way too frustrating to be fun.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

I ve said from day 1 to my guild that had to try it, and well all but 1 have cancelled. The rifts are the biggest problem with the game and will continue to be.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Personally i enjoy the rifts and the invasion.  Yes they need to factor in healing into their point equation.  Other than that, large scale invasions is probably my favorite part of the game.

Its easy to see where all these invasion mobs are headed, usualy 2 or 3 spots with the main town getting the brunt.  Go there, get in the public group, its mob zerg vs player zerg, usualy with a pretty epic boss that takes a good amount of time to kill, even with a few raids hacking it up.  The reward is lots of XP, a good amount of items, some very valuable, atifacts for collections, and planar currency.

They all do scale with population in the zone, however, its been said, the first 3 maps are packed.  Also people fail to realize how it all works.  Basically before an invasion, something like 20 rifts will open, thats your key to either get to a town (as the invasion is comming and heading there) or get into a group and start closing the rifts.  Mobs will drop out of the rifts then head to a town or quest hub.

All in all, this really breaks up what would otherwise be a pretty drab quest grinder.  Its a great break, i get better XP and items than through questing, and its really the focus of the game tbh.

Yes if you stand there near where you need to quest with your arms crossed waiting for the invasion to end, its gonna suck for you.  Use your map, find out where they are going, head there, youll ALWAYS find a large public group waiting, and partake in the reason they call the game rift.

Other than healers getting shafted by the contribution equation, its a solid addition.

Anyway the issue with Rift isnt the rifts and invasions, its class balance, and the poor folks who rolled mages thinking they would be pvp competative in any situation other than in a group thats going to win regardless.  Very unfun to be a mage on a pvp server, as they stand no chance in open world pvp situations.

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

Originally posted by quasar941

The obvious problem with this is that not everyone in the zone is going to be interested in dealing with the Rift events. This morning for example, I took a break from healing what felt to me like the 1000th rift event of the morning to catch up on tradeskills and quests and I simply couldn't do it because the zone was overrun by mobs higher than I was and moving anywhere was instant death. I finally just logged off and played something else for a while.

When people are actually logging off from the game to avoid content then there are probably issues with that content that need to be addressed.

Bit the rift rewards are very good, the consumable go for 2 Plat a stack and is needed for raids and instances, so i don't see people avoiding them. In fact there have been groups farming it.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

People will complain about anything. Fact of life.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I found the Rifts pretty boring monster bashes myself, but for those that enjoy them I wouldn't worry about any scaling issues that may (or may not) be occuring right now.  This type of adjustment will be very easy for the devs to make as they see how successful Rift battles are.  Heck they could probably even adjust by server, if some servers for some reason choose to ignore Rifts moreso than other servers...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

I found the Rifts pretty boring monster bashes myself, but for those that enjoy them I wouldn't worry about any scaling issues that may (or may not) be occuring right now.  This type of adjustment will be very easy for the devs to make as they see how successful Rift battles are.  Heck they could probably even adjust by server, if some servers for some reason choose to ignore Rifts moreso than other servers...

This intrigues me. If they had an algorithm that invoolved secondary scaling based on the involvement ratio per server...awesome. If many weren't participating you could play around with a lot of interesting loot, xp and boss mechanics.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

Originally posted by strangerdang

Personally i enjoy the rifts and the invasion.  Yes they need to factor in healing into their point equation.  Other than that, large scale invasions is probably my favorite part of the game.

Its easy to see where all these invasion mobs are headed, usualy 2 or 3 spots with the main town getting the brunt.  Go there, get in the public group, its mob zerg vs player zerg, usualy with a pretty epic boss that takes a good amount of time to kill, even with a few raids hacking it up.  The reward is lots of XP, a good amount of items, some very valuable, atifacts for collections, and planar currency.

They all do scale with population in the zone, however, its been said, the first 3 maps are packed.  Also people fail to realize how it all works.  Basically before an invasion, something like 20 rifts will open, thats your key to either get to a town (as the invasion is comming and heading there) or get into a group and start closing the rifts.  Mobs will drop out of the rifts then head to a town or quest hub.

All in all, this really breaks up what would otherwise be a pretty drab quest grinder.  Its a great break, i get better XP and items than through questing, and its really the focus of the game tbh.

Yes if you stand there near where you need to quest with your arms crossed waiting for the invasion to end, its gonna suck for you.  Use your map, find out where they are going, head there, youll ALWAYS find a large public group waiting, and partake in the reason they call the game rift.

Other than healers getting shafted by the contribution equation, its a solid addition.

Anyway the issue with Rift isnt the rifts and invasions, its class balance, and the poor folks who rolled mages thinking they would be pvp competative in any situation other than in a group thats going to win regardless.  Very unfun to be a mage on a pvp server, as they stand no chance in open world pvp situations.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Get to a level 30+ zone, and everything you've said goes out the window.

• kalanthiskalanthis Member Posts: 111

Mmm. I saw some guy cursing up a storm about getting dismounted last night.

In my experience, with the cheapest mount, I can normally get away with getting hit once or twice before I'm dismounted - very rarely do I get dismounted on the very first hit. My experience in PVP is the same. Very rarely does my target get dismounted the first time, but very often the second or third shot knocks him off. (I'm only level 26, so I don't know whether higher level mounts are tougher to knock people off - from their description I would guess that would be the case). I'm happy with how this works. I do crazy things now like using roads or riding around mobs now to avoid getting knocked off. I really don't get why people are so angry about this, maby because of different behaviour in other games. For me, all those threatening to leave the game over this are just being ridiculous. You're going to leave a game you enjoy because when you ride your mount straight past a mob, and it hits you, you fall off...really?!?

I do happen to agree with you about the Rift content and the invasions. I've lost count on how many times my quest hub has been crushed under the weight of an invasion, and similar to you I have started asking myself the question: "should I just log off until they're back up". I'm loving the rift's and the invasions, but I think the developers need to scale them back a bit. Assuming they do differ in difficulty based on how many people are in an area, maby they need to factor in that some people will just keep riding and won't help out. I've often arrived at invasions on my lonesome, completely powerless to do anything. If they were less regular then you might be able to convince people to come out...but why should they stop what they're doing to come and stop an invasion if there's just going to be another one in 10 minutes?

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

i have to agree with the mount thing, thats just annoying as hell, wouldn't be bad if mobs 40 levels below you didn't aggro but they and WILL knock you off your mount. and in more places than not there is just no way around them, i dismount and stealth past stunning patrolling mobs and what ever is in my way.

i do like thr rifts tho but question thier spawning at times, i have seen invasions at like 8am on a monday. there is just nowhere near enough online to fight off a zone wide invasion even if you was to count every single person active and the afk people. maybe they just need to tweak the scaling because there is times where it just seems broken. probably the only real bug i can think of in what i consider a flawless launch.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

1. Easily fixed if you learn how to stay out of mobs' aggro ranges... It's not that hard, really. In WoW you can run right through lower level mobs without even aggroing them... how freaking realistic is that? Lol... is there some 6th sense that the enemies have that let them tell your "level" and to avoid attacking you? Grow up... If it bothers you so much then avoid going through highly populated enemy areas and take the paved paths that have very little, if not any, mobs there. OR if your fat @$$ gets knocked off, turn around and one-shot that lvl 8 mob. Is that so hard?

2. Large scale events only occur if there is enough people in the zone to support them. Whether or not everyone contributes to the event is a different matter. Even then, there are plenty of way to combat this with the use of the Ascended powers to help buff yourself or summon NPCs to help fight off invasions. The powers are cheap enough that everyone should have them. 

Originally posted by tkoreaper

1. Easily fixed if you learn how to stay out of mobs' aggro ranges... It's not that hard, really. In WoW you can run right through lower level mobs without even aggroing them... how freaking realistic is that? Lol... is there some 6th sense that the enemies have that let them tell your "level" and to avoid attacking you? Grow up... If it bothers you so much then avoid going through highly populated enemy areas and take the paved paths that have very little, if not any, mobs there. OR if your fat @$$ gets knocked off, turn around and one-shot that lvl 8 mob. Is that so hard?

2. Large scale events only occur if there is enough people in the zone to support them. Whether or not everyone contributes to the event is a different matter. Even then, there are plenty of way to combat this with the use of the Ascended powers to help buff yourself or summon NPCs to help fight off invasions. The powers are cheap enough that everyone should have them. 

1. Get back to me once you get out of the noobie zones.

2. Large scale events happen regardless of how many players there are in the zones.

3. Try to refrain from posting about things you know little to nothing about in the future.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by strangerdang

Sorry, but you're wrong. Get to a level 30+ zone, and everything you've said goes out the window.

Get to level 40 and see how they scale.

2. Large scale events happen regardless of how many players there are in the zones.

3. Try to refrain from posting about things you know little to nothing about in the future.

Is Shimmersand a noobie zone? From all your repsonses it seems that all you can tell people is that they're wrong. Just because people see your QQ as YOUR OWN immature OPINION doesn't make their responses wrong.

On a side note... I don't understand the people whoe complain about Rifts/Invasions preventing them from accessing their quest hubs or working on the professions. It's a game that revolves around being in conflict at all times... not just in specific zones, but all zones. It's part of the game and it's what makes the game. If you can't deal with it then I'm sorry, but this game isn't for you. What's even more odd is that people complain about other games lacking things to do or questing/leveling being too linear... well wtf, the Rifts and invasions solve this yet you still complain. What a bunch of hypocrits.

Is Shimmersand a noobie zone? From all your repsonses it seems that all you can tell people is that they're wrong. Just because people see your QQ as YOUR OWN immature OPINION doesn't make their responses wrong.

On a side note... I don't understand the people whoe complain about Rifts/Invasions preventing them from accessing their quest hubs or working on the professions. It's a game that revolves around being in conflict at all times... not just in specific zones, but all zones. It's part of the game and it's what makes the game. If you can't deal with it then I'm sorry, but this game isn't for you. What's even more odd is that people complain about other games lacking things to do or questing/leveling being too linear... well wtf, the Rifts and invasions solve this yet you still complain. What a bunch of hypocrits.

No, Shimmersand isn't a noobie zone, but based on your response you've either not been there, or you're straight-up lying. If you had gotten that far, you'd know it's not only hard, but outright impossible to stay out of aggro range of mobs in many areas, even on the road. This is not opinion. It's fact. Straight-up, cold hard fact. This makes responses like yours factually incorrect and wrong. What you call immature is just the opposite. I've matured in my MMO choices to the point where I can't be bothered with useless unnecessary crap like being constantly dismounted for no reason. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Ten years ago. No one but a few old eccentrics still want to play a hard-core boring grindfest like EQ. If you want that rot, go play it. There's a reason WoW got so popular: it's because it gets itself the hell out of the way and lets the players actually do what they want. That's the market Trion is targeting with Rift, and they're about to find themselves in one massive world of fail if they don't get their shit straightened out. People are already leaving.

Trion can do whatever the hell they want with Rift. They don't have to listen to their customers. But they've made it clear who they want their customers to be, and what they're doing with the game right now is about to lose them those customers in a big way. Again, don't take my word for it - wait and see where the game population is at in about 3 months if they don't fix these issues to suit their target playerbase. Around about the time they get to level 30 or 35 (maybe even 40, for the more patient ones) they'll start to realize how frustrating it is just to simply get from point A to point B. The newness of the rifts will be gone. And they'll remember how nice that Protodrake was. And that they could use it just about anywhere. You know, maybe WoW wasn't so bad after all. At least you could get where you wanted to without unnecessary frustration. And you know what, these rifts are overrated anyway. That's what they'll be thinking. And then they're gone. I won't even bother telling you I told you so.

Of course, Trion can make me wrong by fixing the issues I mentioned. I hope they do, because I do like the game. It's just got too much unwarranted frustration that adds nothing to the game right now.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

This. Events pop constantly in Freemarch where there are a ton of players but when I hit Moonshade and Iron Pine where the population is much lower all I ever see are minor rifts and invasions and elites are very rare.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by skeaser

This. Events pop constantly in Freemarch where there are a ton of players but when I hit Moonshade and Iron Pine where the population is much lower all I ever see are minor rifts and invasions and elites are very rare.

I've been in the Moonshade the past few days and I have yet to see an invasion. There are very few rifts as well. It has gotten quite boring to be frank as the quests themselves are super tedious at this point.

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

I'll agree with you on the mount issue.

As for the invasions.... THATS THE POINT........

Originally posted by skeaser

Well then there's something broken in their system, where the minimum number of players in a zone required to trigger major rifts and invasions is not sufficient players to complete said rifts and invasions. I've experienced this first-hand many times on my shard. Prime example was last night on my rogue in Scarlet Gorge. A major event spawned that had footholds all over the zone, including on the road and in quest hubs. All these footholds had two or more elite mobs with 10K+ health, regardless of whether or not there were players nearby when it happened. There was no group of players large enough anywhere to get much of anything done. The only group I came across was about 7 players, who were scattered all across the zone. The duration given to complete the event was 45 minutes. After 15 minutes, it wasn't even 10% done. There simply wasn't enough players to get anywhere. After dying countless times, I finally gave up and logged off.

That being said, the mount issue is still by far the biggest issue. Simply fixing that would make the invasion events a lot easier to deal with as well, because you might have some chance of actually riding past the invasion groups running on the road. The combination of the two makes some zones on my shard simply unplayable during the major events.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

I really don't like being this snarky, but this post is really a bunch of bullshit except for one point. I say this purely in respect to the content of the post and I'm not trying to attack the poster, I'm simply tired of these kinds of inflammatory remarks.

1. It is common sense not to run through packs of mobs, as we're not in Azeroth nor Vana'diel, we're in Telara. Telara, if you noticed, is a world that is incredibly dangerous. Rifts spawn out of nowhere, there are invasions by the Guardians/Defiant, the wildlife has become much more aggressive and changed in some cases: it is clear that the world is not the least bit safe for the unprepared. This is a game design element, something that should cause players to think about whether or not going a certain way is worth the risk or if they should stay on the roads.

2. I've spent a great deal of time in Freemarch, the Defiant starting area, completing quests. You know, that pesky lore thing that takes up unneeded space on the way to loot, levels and rep. I have not had a problem or been frustrated by the massive invasions and they haven't prevented me from completing anything at all. The main reason for this is that I actually participate in the events, because I play the game and not against the game. Sure, there will be times that I don't want to participate but, that said, there is no reason for me to complain about the zone being invaded and NPCs getting killed because I refused to participate. That would be idiotic.

But you are right about potential problems with major invasions not happening on sparsely populated zones. This is something that I am sure Trion will look at and remedy as it happens. As it stands now, we are 5 days after official retail launch and there is not one good reason why Trion should try to alter or adjust content because there are players who refused to play the game and decided to race to level 50.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

Originally posted by The_Grump

I really don't like being this snarky, but this post is really a bunch of bullshit except for one point. I say this purely in respect to the content of the post and I'm not trying to attack the poster, I'm simply tired of these kinds of inflammatory remarks.

1. It is common sense not to run through packs of mobs, as we're not in Azeroth nor Vana'diel, we're in Telara. Telara, if you noticed, is a world that is incredibly dangerous. Rifts spawn out of nowhere, there are invasions by the Guardians/Defiant, the wildlife has become much more aggressive and changed in some cases: it is clear that the world is not the least bit safe for the unprepared. This is a game design element, something that should cause players to think about whether or not going a certain way is worth the risk or if they should stay on the roads.

2. I've spent a great deal of time in Freemarch, the Defiant starting area, completing quests. You know, that pesky lore thing that takes up unneeded space on the way to loot, levels and rep. I have not had a problem or been frustrated by the massive invasions and they haven't prevented me from completing anything at all. The main reason for this is that I actually participate in the events, because I play the game and not against the game. Sure, there will be times that I don't want to participate but, that said, there is no reason for me to complain about the zone being invaded and NPCs getting killed because I refused to participate. That would be idiotic.

But you are right about potential problems with major invasions not happening on sparsely populated zones. This is something that I am sure Trion will look at and remedy as it happens. As it stands now, we are 5 days after official retail launch and there is not one good reason why Trion should try to alter or adjust content because there are players who refused to play the game and decided to race to level 50.

You know, I was going to post a nice, civil response, but I realized it's just not necessary. That's been done over and over again, and somehow people like you keep refusing to read it, and post snarky ignorant comments calling stuff "inflammatory bullshit". So instead, I'm going to make this really simple for you.

1. YOU CANNOT AVOID RUNNING THROUGH PACKS OF MOBS. PERIOD.

2. IF YOUR ZONE IS UNDERPOPULATED INVASION EVENTS WILL KILL YOUR NPCS WHETHER YOU PARTICIPATE OR NOT. IF YOU PARTICIPATE, THEY WILL ALSO KILL YOU.

And for the umpteenth time, you will discover these facts yourself once you venture out of the beginner zones.

What we see here folks is just a classic L2Play issue... Nothing to see here. Unless you get amusement from listening to ONE guy complain about shit that no one else really seems to have a problem with. Games these days have made people lazy and selfish.