Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I know this has probably been posted 10000 times but...

xiiH4v0kiixxiiH4v0kiix Member Posts: 26

... We're not in azeroth anymore? Seriously? :l I'm extremely disappointed in Trion worlds... That's a low blow, and that's not going to take from WoW's fanbase, it's going to take from RIFT's... I honestly wanted to try this game out, but that's really just... no. I do still want to try it out still, but after that, it kinda makes me think they're purposely slapping blizz in the face, purposely ripped from them, and are now saying "Hey, we're better than blizzard, so come play our game!"

Trion Worlds, I am very disappointed. :/

Comments

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by xiiH4v0kiix
    ... We're not in azeroth anymore? Seriously? :l I'm extremely disappointed in Trion worlds... That's a low blow, and that's not going to take from WoW's fanbase, it's going to take from RIFT's... I honestly wanted to try this game out, but that's really just... no. I do still want to try it out still, but after that, it kinda makes me think they're purposely slapping blizz in the face, purposely ripped from them, and are now saying "Hey, we're better than blizzard, so come play our game!"

huhu ? NERD rage ?

I mean WTF are you speaking about?

• Coming from the guy with the night elf mohawk head as his avatar I'm not surprised. 

Really though it's called marketing it's meant to get your attention and it certainly worked.  It's not under handed in anyway nor does it say WoW is bad it's just using the name to get attention from the WoW player base that might not follow MMO's in general and only know WoW.

• xiiH4v0kiixxiiH4v0kiix Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by neosurfeur

huhu ? NERD rage ?

You've obviously never played WoW.

The land in World of Warcraft is named "Azeroth".

• MistmouseMistmouse Member Posts: 91

I am not playing Rift or WoW, but seriously who cares? its just advertising like that silly Coke Vs Pepsi stuff.

Originally posted by weylyn

Coming from the guy with the night elf mohawk head as his avatar I'm not surprised. 

Really though it's called marketing it's meant to get your attention and it certainly worked.  It's not under handed in anyway nor does it say WoW is bad it's just using the name to get attention from the WoW player base that might not follow MMO's in general and only know WoW.

That's profiling. I only put the night elf mohawk up because I couldn't think of anything else, and I play WoW, and it's pretty famous.

For a second I thought this game would be better than WoW. Now I'm having second thoughts. I'm going to try a free trial if they put one up, but otherwise, no.

And really though it's saying "We're not in Azeroth anymore" which, the way I, and many others interpret it is "If you play WoW, you know what Azeroth is, and we basically took WoW and put it in a different world". That's how I see it. I can tell they want the game to feel familiar to WoW so they can take its fanbase. They're not going to if they're advertising they're taking WoW and putting it in another world.

• shane782shane782 Member Posts: 23

Dose not matter both games suck equally

Originally posted by Mistmouse

but seriously who cares?

I care. :l It's just... no...

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

OMG how could they say that about the great WoW?!    /sarcasm

I don't understand how it could take away from Rift's fanbase. Companies always slap each other in ads and say that one is better than the other. It's not new, infact it's in the very essence of our survival since prehistoric times. I agree with posts above: It's an effective ad and anyone that feels offended needs to realize that they're nerd raging. 

• PostwarPenPostwarPen Member Posts: 13

The problem isn't with Trion at all. You are interpreting that statement as a "slap in the face", but why do you think that? Perhaps they are using that, not to steal from Blizzard's fanbase, but to relate to the players who are tired of World of Warcraft or looking for something different.

There is no point in not trying a game because of a tagline in an advertisement. You're essentially removing a possible source of entertainment or fun from your life and I wish you wouldn't do that!

At the heart of it all, you are a gamer. Love the games. Love each other. Respect the industry. And most of all, stop complaining.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Originally posted by neosurfeur

huhu ? NERD rage ?

You've obviously never played WoW.

The land in World of Warcraft is named "Azeroth".

No, He gets it.

He just doesn't understand why you are throwing a sissy fit over a advertisement. Seriously?

What are you 6? It is just advertisement, it's an attention grabber, makes people stop what they are doing to come to MMO boards and write really angry post about how noone can slap blizzard in the face... noone.

Just like noone can put baby in the corner.... noone.

See how I just made up some random shit and slung it up on a board? Reminds me of someone else I know.

Yeah, I admit, I am nerd raging a bit, but to get a point across. Yes, companies do slap each other in the face all the time., but this is a game, that's the thing. Yeah, companies like coke and pepsi do go against each other quite blantantly, but you don't see for example call of duty commercials saying "We're better than Halo!" because that would seriously put a gap in their fanbase.

And honestly, I haven't even played WoW that long, I just started a few weeks ago, but it still makes me a bit mad.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Yeah, I admit, I am nerd raging a bit, but to get a point across. Yes, companies do slap each other in the face all the time., but this is a game, that's the thing. Yeah, companies like coke and pepsi do go against each other quite blantantly, but you don't see for example call of duty commercials saying "We're better than Halo!" because that would seriously put a gap in their fanbase.

HAHAHA!

Trion and Blizzard are both video game companies.

WoW and Rift are both MMO's.

It's just like

Pepsi and Coke <-- Both Soft Drinks

• Well it's a matter of how you take it I see the tag and I think it's not WoW it's different.  Again though you are taking it way to seriously it's an advertisement it's not even bad mouthing them.  I'ts about getting attention and obviously it's working!

Originally posted by neonaka

HAHAHA!

Trion and Blizzard are both video game companies.

WoW and Rift are both MMO's.

It's just like

Pepsi and Coke <-- Both Soft Drinks

Read over what I just said, because you're kinda contradicting yourself. MMO = Video game. Soft drinks do not equal video games. Soft drink companies blantanly bash each other, but nobody cares. Video game companies don't bash each other because it puts a gap in their fanbase, which it has many times before. That's basically what I just said.

Well it's a matter of how you take it I see the tag and I think it's not WoW it's different.  Again though you are taking it way to seriously it's an advertisement it's not even bad mouthing them.  I'ts about getting attention and obviously it's working!

Yeah I know it's just advertising, but it sure isn't going to bring in any WoW fans, the largest MMO fanbase in the world. I know I'm not the only one complaining, I've done a little research.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Man, it's like someone just told you Santa clause isn't real.

It's a game, they are targeting WoW's market base, hence the direct reference to that game.

Btw, if you didn't know Santa wasn't real, sorry about that spoiler....

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• It's not going to bring in WoW fans? really? really???  I would say far more than 1/2 of Rift's player base came from WoW, so yes it will, does, has worked.  Don't worry your precious WoW has plenty of customers you can keep playing it Rift certainly won't be shutting it down. 

• markt50markt50 Member Posts: 132
    It seems like you are finding an insult in the marketing when there is no insult. It's not like they were offensive or said 'Wow sucks monkey butts and we're great, come and play us instead, we haz cookies!'.

As someone else mentioned, this is more about marketing the game at those who still play wow but are maybe a bit bored or burnt out by it, I think it is simply saying 'hey guys, come and try us'. Nothing wrong at all with that IMHO. Besides, even if a wow player never intends to leave at all I think they should embrace the competition. I'm a great believer in healthy competition breeding innovation and if Rift can force Blizzard to bring their A game to the table then that can surely only be a good thing for wow fans. They've been able to cuise along on autodrive for to long thanks to the lacklustre releases over the last few years, I for one hope that Rift can shake them up a bit.

Don't worry your precious WoW has plenty of customers you can keep playing it Rift certainly won't be shutting it down. 

You make it sound like I hate the game, I don't. Like I said, I'm going to try it, I just don't like that ad.

But I guess I'll stop complaining. After all, like you guys have said, it's just an ad. I mean, I don't hate the game or Trion, I'm just disappointed. But whatever, it's not a big deal

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

'We're not in Kansas anymore'

Hop towards the 1m15s spot, the fragment is from the classic movie hit The Wizard of Oz.

The quote 'we're not in anymore' has been paraphrased from time to time over the years by people and in media, just like other movie quotes as 'go ahead, make my day' or 'every time I'm out, they pull me back in', but The Wizard of Oz movie is where this quote originally springs from.

In the Rift commercial the analogy is of course:

- Kansas = Azeroth/WoW

- Land of Oz = Telara/Rift

- Dorothy = player

- Toto = his (her) buddy

As for whether the commercial is a 'slap in the face' of people, it all depends upon how they interpret the commercial. Maybe it also depends how pro/anti WoW or how pro/anti Rift someone is or how indifferent towards the subject of the commercial, how they react upon it.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by markt50

It seems like you are finding an insult in the marketing when there is no insult. It's not like they were offensive or said 'Wow sucks monkey butts and we're great, come and play us instead, we haz cookies!'. As someone else mentioned, this is more about marketing the game at those who still play wow but are maybe a bit bored or burnt out by it, I think it is simply saying 'hey guys, come and try us'. Nothing wrong at all with that IMHO. Besides, even if a wow player never intends to leave at all I think they should embrace the competition. I'm a great believer in healthy competition breeding innovation and if Rift can force Blizzard to bring their A game to the table then that can surely only be a good thing for wow fans. They've been able to cuise along on autodrive for to long thanks to the lacklustre releases over the last few years, I for one hope that Rift can shake them up a bit.

Yeah I guess you have a point. I played WoW on my friends account for a while during the pre-cata years, specifically right before lich king, and that's what really got me into it, but then they started nerfing everything where I have started and just killing their own game. Yeah I kinda figured Rift was a second chance for a dead game, and so the fans of pre-cata WoW could go to Rift instead, which is what I was planning on doing (again, waiting for a trial), so I guess I'm just taking this the wrong way.

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

'We're not in Kansas anymore'

Hop towards the 1m15s spot, the fragment is from the classic movie hit The Wizard of Oz.

The quote 'we're not in anymore' has been paraphrased from time to time over the year by people and in media, just like other movie quotes as 'go ahead, make my day' or 'every time I'm out, they pull me back in', but The Wizard of Oz movie is where this quote originally springs from.

In the Rift commercial the analogy is of course:

- Kansas = Azeroth/WoW

- Land of Oz = Telara/Rift

- Dorothy = player

- Toto = his (her) buddy

As for whether the commercial is a 'slap in the face' of people, it all depends upon how they interpret the commercial. Maybe it also depends how pro/anti WoW or how pro/anti Rift someone is or how indifferent towards the subject of the commercial, how they react upon it.

Good point as well.

• IixiaIixia Member UncommonPosts: 34

I'm not sure what crack your on. But its as simple as what their saying. "We're not in azeroth anymore!!" And we're not, the players. We're in Red Alert Hell! Yes I do love it. Yes, I did find it to be a funny ad, Even for some who's played WoW for 6 years.

• norvaknorvak Member UncommonPosts: 53

There are alot of players that dislike wow for whatever reason, and I am one of them.  So for me the marketing strategy gets my attention.  I think its funny as hell that you take offense to it!!!

This discussion has been closed.