Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death Penalty Items Free Forever?

DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I know we've all but given up on Allods Online after the whole debacle with the death penalty items and such, but it looks like they finally might be seeing sense, at least the gPotato version of the game.

http://allods.gpotato.com/news/2011/03/02/holy-charms-are-now-free/

They are saying that this is a permanent change, and these items will always be free...

"That’s right – Holy Charms are now completely free! They will now be available in the Item Shop for 0 gPotatoes, and there’s no limit to how many you can acquire! Shake off that fear of Tep’s Curse and engage in PvP like never before with unlimited Holy Charms!"

I know that I had fun playing Allods before they opened up the cash shop and implimented this silly death penalty thing. Who knows if this will be enough to bring players back, but I might be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

-------------------------
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I left when they announced the FOD, and haven't played since.  Now that these charms are free, I am downloading again to see what its like now.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Too little too late,  this was a really decent game until they did the FOD thing.  There was a massive following of players ready to play, they would had made a killing off the cash shop.  The population was destroyed  after they added the death penalty crap.  Just goes to show these companies don't know a damn thing, Allods could had probably been one of the top f2p games, now, they may get a little more players after this announcement, but people like me, have moved on.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

I'm gone and staying that way. Because of their pathetic ideas. Removing the fod completly would be better. But for me, they have shown their true colors in implementing it in the first place, and there is nothing stopping them from using it again, and/or using some other pathetic idea to scam money out of you.

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

Well, it's not Gala-net implementing the game, they're just hosting it. If Astrum Nival implements FOD then they're just along for the ride, hoping to make big bucks. Unfortunately, when they came up with Fear Of Death already quite a bit of the population left. But the Gipat patch, eliminating FOD and replacing it with cursed items, that was the real killer leaving them with only around a quarter of the original population. The same thing happened when they did that in Russia, but they seem to have somewhat recovered from that disaster back there. Russians playing a Russian game  you know. Elsewhere they're not playing a home match and people are not so forgiving. Hearing someone talking Russian to you all the time isn't all that appealing if you don't speak the language.

So with no more cursed items upon death they may seem like they're pretty much back to pre-FOD, except for the grind (you'll be grinding a lot since quests are now only good for about half the xp you need. Luckily from time to time they hold double xp events (about a week). Also you'll start to need to do the daily quest for incense (possible from level 16 onwards takes about 15 minutes) and that will yield a 30 minute double xp scroll, so if you only play a couple of hours a day it's not all that bad. The kicker will come at end game where you're going to be either working your ass of  or paying through the nose for runes, runes and always higher runes.

I doubt this change will really alter the course of this game. Odds are they're seeing a lot of people either quit or shy away from PvP after they almost run out of the free charms they handed out a few months back. Me, I'm just in it for the ride until GW2 comes out. If you've got a good game to play right now, then I wouldn't recommend coming back. But if you're bored, then why not be bored grinding in game? The next double xp event could be round the corner.:)

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• AnonymousMeAnonymousMe Member Posts: 49

Now why would they make the items to remove the death penalty free, instead of just removing the death penalty period?

Oh, yeah. Because noone would have a reason to open their item shop and be tempted ever again.

Maybe because Gala-net can only change prices in the item shop and not the game itself? Again, they're not the developer they're just hosting the game. I'm not saying they're the good guys here, they tried to milk the game for as much as they thought they could and failed bigtime.

And now they're making the charms to keep your items safe from Tep's curse free. You can't really hate them for that, can you? As for entirely removing the death penalty, how many games do you know that have no death penalty whatsoever?

They don't need to remove the death penality, just those pathetic things that you need to stock up on, from the item mall!

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

even if death penatly is gone, to mod our gear, we need runes right?  That's CS only so no thank you.  I'm waiting for GW2 and B&S.

Originally posted by Cawickeng

even if death penatly is gone, to mod our gear, we need runes right?  That's CS only so no thank you.  I'm waiting for GW2 and B&S.

Same here!

Well, the basic runes can actually be bought in game, it's upgrading the runes you need crystal chips (CS item) for. So cash shop or auction house for however much they're asking for those. Playing this until GW2 comes out, then I'm outa that place for good.

Still it's better than when you used to buy incense, charms and chips, now it's just chips...

Originally posted by Cawickeng

Guild Wars 2... *drool* F2P never ceases to dissappoint.

And more on the subject of death penatly items being free forever. Well at least the holy charms protect your items from being cursed (only repairable with a CS item) upon death. Death isn't really free unless you have the patience to wait it out.

They just released a patch where these items will expire in 24 hours. Those who stacked up on them will be losing those shortly and whether they remain free, only time will tell...

Edit: It seems that existing charms are unaffected, new players will have to visit the cash shop every day, even if the item is free.