Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: First Impressions

123457»

Comments

• xcutionrxcutionr Member Posts: 63

Noone ever said Rift was reinventing the wheel. But what they did do was make a stable game that takes alot of the best aspects of other games and put them into one game. They did add their own twist to things. This game may not be a WoW killer everyone has been looking for but it should be the WoW clone killer. Since I dont think there will ever be a better clone of games that have come out in the past several years. 

My brother and I jumped into a few battlegrounds last night. Most fun that I have had gaming in a long time. Truely an enjoyable game if you can take it for what it is. 

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Yaruna

Nice review, even though it doesn't seem all that innovative to me. It still looks like Aion with different skins minus the flying. Rifts didn't keep me interested very long, it grows old fast. The souls need some tuning, but soon the cookie-cutter souls will be out there and they'll all be playing the same old classes with the exception of being able to take on different roles. PvP turns into massive zerg-fests, not my idea of fun really.

Just genuinely curious of what you mean by zergfests. I understand what the term means, but what battle doesn't come down to who has more numbers pushing toward the goal?

What do you think would be a good alternate way to PvP, or at least an improvement over a zergfest? Something like objectives thrown into the mix, or something the break up the numbers into smaller, more managable groups?

Also, how did you feel about Warfronts?

Sorry for the interrogation, just interested in hearing what you have to say.

Either way, I'm a stealther- so I never notice the zerg, I'm too busy eating the sheep that stray from the flock, or the sickly looking ones. :D

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

Quote: I can confidently assert that it is without a doubt shaping up to be one of the most polished and stable launches in MMORPG history. 

I have said the same thing a few times in the Rift threads and it's true.

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

Quote: There are points on the map telling you exactly where to go for each quest, and areas showing you exactly where you need to go to find the mobs to kill.  You really don't need to read the quest info.

That's agood thing for some people, and yes you kinda do have to read specific quest info's or you will be running around going wtf - there are a few things that make you engadge in the quests to know what to do, i found that prety cool as i;m sure most devs know all the power levelers just click ok ok ok as fast as possible - if you do that you will find yourself having to read some quests, also i think they did it on purpose to also let you know the different mechanics they have used in the questing system. Love the fact whe you have to use items, it's right on your quest tracker most of the time. it's great.

• gagaliyagagaliya Member Posts: 54

So basically another wow-clone with random monster attacks.  In the current mmorpg environment, unless you innovate you are dead.  Especally with starwars, guildwar2, and diablo3 all coming out soon,  Rift is unfortunately doomed to fail within 6 months as there is no innovation here.  As soon as the initial rush is over, population will drop drastically, causing a snowball effect, just as it happened to lotro and every single wow-clone.  Only eve online was able to survive the wow onslaught, bucause they innovated in a fundamental way.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by gagaliya

So basically another wow-clone with random monster attacks.  In the current mmorpg environment, unless you innovate you are dead.  Especally with starwars, guildwar2, and diablo3 all coming out soon,  Rift is unfortunately doomed to fail within 6 months as there is no innovation here.  As soon as the initial rush is over, population will drop drastically, causing a snowball effect, just as it happened to lotro and every single wow-clone.  Only eve online was able to survive the wow onslaught, bucause they innovated in a fundamental way.

we've already heard that star wars will fail because there is no innovaton and Diablo 3 is not an mmo.

Some say Guild Wars 2 is not different enough.

I think I'd hold the doom and gloom prophesies back and just wait and see. From my limited experience on this earth you can't really tell what people will like and what will become runaway hits.

Sorry but when I look at the music and movie scenes, if I was a different type of person, I would start pointing out all the failures only to be met with what really has become huge success stories.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by gagaliya

Things are a bit more complicated than that... There are way too many variables involved to start the usual doom and gloom predictions at this point.  Keep in mind that Rift does NOT have to gain a player base of 12 million players to be considered a success by those who count(the investors).  At this point, the only threat to WoW is Blizzard themselves.

Who would have imagined, more than six years ago, that WoW would go on to become what it has?  I well remember the people who claimed that it would be dead within six months... Here it is more than six *YEARS* later, and they still have more than 12 million subscribers.  A good part of this is perception, and the management of those prerceptions. 

Trion is obviously very well funded, and for all of the howling from certain quarters, they have managed to produce a well polished game, that I quite enjoy.  No, its not the One True Game(tm). But then neither are GW2, TOR, D3 or any other game thats actually real.  The One True Game(tm) is an illusion. Its part expectation, part projection, part hope, part dream. But what it very much is NOT, is anything to do with reality.   Those chasing the One True Game(tm) are very much engaged in a self defeating, endless quest.  While I wish them the very best of luck, I'm done with the eternal search for the One True Game(tm).

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • biorealmsbiorealms Member Posts: 46

Rift marketing pretty smart cookies. They know cataclysm has at least 18 months before deathwing raid opens. blizzard allowed this expansion to be made by slacker devs. rift folks know how blizz develops and seen this weakness, smart man smart. the only way blizz can counter and try to retain subs is announce their next gen mmo crap, or roll back on many of the things they removed like most of the game basically us old schoolers loved.

This may not kill wow, but why go back to a cartoon game revamped for 5 year olds when you can play rift which is like wow 2.0 with better devs?

• drsteffodrsteffo Member Posts: 19

Aion was polished and pretty and had some innovations (PvP-rifts even). Too bad it got boring after a month, like all the theme park MMOs I have played due to their shallow and linear content.

While you guys will be levelling and killing lots of mobs together, I will build myself a cabin up in the mountains in a game called Xsyon, make a camp fire and watch the sunset, fish for food, hunt for clothing, collect materials in junk piles fearing for my life since those places will be full of evil murderers. Maybe when it gets dark I will go on a raid to some village or homestead, alone or with some friends. If this gets boring I will become a tribe member and help build a town, maybe set up a market place there or get into diplomacy or even start a new religion or something else, whatever I feel like doing.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by drsteffo

Aion was polished and pretty and had some innovations (PvP-rifts even). Too bad it got boring after a month, like all the theme park MMOs I have played due to their shallow and linear content.

While you guys will be levelling and killing lots of mobs together, I will build myself a cabin up in the mountains in a game called Xsyon, make a camp fire and watch the sunset, fish for food, hunt for clothing, collect materials in junk piles fearing for my life since those places will be full of evil murderers. Maybe when it gets dark I will go on a raid to some village or homestead, alone or with some friends. If this gets boring I will become a tribe member and help build a town, maybe set up a market place there or get into diplomacy or even start a new religion or something else, whatever I feel like doing.

Well, best of good luck then.  I simply do not play gankfest games any more, but some people find them entertaining.  Having to always be looking over ones shoulder gets old FAST. Thats just not what I want from games these days.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • drsteffodrsteffo Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Wraithone

Originally posted by drsteffo

Well, best of good luck then.  I simply do not play gankfest games any more, but some people find them entertaining.  Having to always be looking over ones shoulder gets old FAST. Thats just not what I want from games these days.

Thank you. I can watch the sunset, build stuff,  fish or craft with 0% risk of getting ganked as long as I stay in my homestead in Xsyon. Outside the safe zone I don't want to feel 100% safe. On the other hand killing X number of mobs by pressing the same old buttons and running back and forth to NPCs is not fun for me anymore. Not even if they spawn from rifts. If it's fun for you it's all good.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by delicio

Originally posted by Admin

Originally posted by Naqaj

Remove that silly "Buy it" button, highlight the last paragraph as a well-rounded summary instead.

It is not a button as it does not click anywhere.  We are not trying to literally click you over to buy it.  We just have a simpliefied "first look" system now.  The "Buy It" is the highest rank in this new system.  These are *not* our official reviews.

Well I'm just another sheep in the 5 year+ WoW burnout group, cancelled and account expired today...good riddens. Anywho to keep this relevant to article, I'm going to have to agree with the users that have been against this "review."

1. 6 hours only is not a solid impression. An impression nonetheless, but not complete by any means. 

2. Now the problem with that, and being that the writer of this article has enjoyed the game so far, brings the mode of writing, being that this article claims highly of a game the writer knows little about. However I feel as if everyone is just tossing around...well....All I keep hearing from people who appraise the game is ...its polished, polished, polished....rifts, rifts, rifts, graphics, grpahics, graphics....and then the vague comments of such a grand economy , guilds, a public blah blah blah, the same stuff mentioned on the Rift website. I feel like everyone just copies and pastes.

3. Which leads me to my next point, as well as regarding the quote at the top of the post, is that since this a lightly brushed review of the game, and being that I have been reading on this site for quite some time, that I completely DISLIKE the use of this "icon" at the bottom of this unfinished review. As mentioned above, these are not the official reviews...yet you recommend one buys it. Perhaps given more time for a more full review the writer has a change of mind, making this game so-so or however this unneeded tier of new icons are layed out. Then what..? 

To continue on with that, people will mindlessly buy the game due to your recommendation of "buy it". (Sounds like promotion to me.) (And lets be honest here, some just don't have self-control or the wits to make their own informed decisions.) And since this is a site for game reviews providing a "higher" vocal output, you are misinforming others. So to sum it up, this is informing readers to buy a game they cant live without in which the article writer has yet to thoroughly inudlge himself in yet. And more so making the statement that "I can't live without it" with me being well aware I can live without it, and tend to do so. 

This is I believe the first post I have ever made, and only because I found this "addition" to be very unappealing not only to myself, but to others who view it. I would recommend removing it. 

Spot on,100%. If they really have to use those annoying icons, at least save them for full reviews. Seriously...

• samgarmendiasamgarmendia Member Posts: 3

All I have to say about this is please bioware release swtor , mmo's need you. lol

peace

• RycheanRychean Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by maji

First, I have to say that I like Rift and was on the verge of buying it, but decided not to. So I'm definately no "hater" or anything. And I played in quite some Rift betas, longer than the author. That beeing said: I think that the final comment in the "review" (looks more like an ad to me) is misleading: "a game you can't live without". If I wouldn't know Rift that well, that "review" and it's final comment would make me buy Rift. And at first I'd have lots of fun, and then be disappointed.

As said before: the quests are boring and generic, the graphics and sound are ok but not great. But the real killer for me would be the lack of replayability. A total of two starting zones in the entire game and 4 classes... It means if I create two defiant and two guardian characters, I'd never need to create a new character again, and yet I'd have played through the same content twice. When I play on MMORPGs I want to explore the game, see new stuff, try out new classes and see how they level and develope. With just four classes and two starting zones that doesn't work. That, plus what I said before plus the whole generic and "seen before" feeling of the game definately allow me to live without having purchased that game.

In other words: what the article tries to portray ain't what there really is.

• deryk_Piratederyk_Pirate Member Posts: 6

Rift is different.  I like the crafting and the classes to a point.  They upped the amount of rifts/invasions the final weekend of the last beta...I thought it was a stress test well the game went live and there are constant rifts all over the place.  Often times there arent enough people in the area to close all the rifts and if your a solo player or only in a group with another person or 2 good luck gettin the rifts closed and ya die alot.  The game quickly lost its fun factor and 12 days later I canceled my subscription.  I asked for a refund from trion and they said no you tried it out enough... well everyone kept sayin get higher level so I grinded for the 2 weeks and was worse.  The game does have a lot of possibilities but their attitude on a refund was poor... and I choose where I spend my money and it wont be with them.

• AxisRebelAxisRebel Member Posts: 4

well, you've gotta have those...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by deryk_Pirate

Rift is different.  I like the crafting and the classes to a point.  They upped the amount of rifts/invasions the final weekend of the last beta...I thought it was a stress test well the game went live and there are constant rifts all over the place.  Often times there arent enough people in the area to close all the rifts and if your a solo player or only in a group with another person or 2 good luck gettin the rifts closed and ya die alot.  The game quickly lost its fun factor and 12 days later I canceled my subscription.  I asked for a refund from trion and they said no you tried it out enough... well everyone kept sayin get higher level so I grinded for the 2 weeks and was worse.  The game does have a lot of possibilities but their attitude on a refund was poor... and I choose where I spend my money and it wont be with them.

You played the game for half a month and then you asked for a refund? Are you for real?

Do you go to restaurants, eat half the plate and then refuse to pay as well claiming the food is bad?