Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your First MMO Love

Comments

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

First mmo was UO and to me it was the best......why?.....it was a true community driven game.....the best mmorpg even imho.

To bad all the expansions kinda killed the game.

must admit i am tempted to play xsyon tough :)

but for now rift will do.

UO FTW :)

• RayCobraRayCobra Member Posts: 29

first mmo was SWG the pre CU one, gods that was a game with a lot of possibility's and yes still my first mmo love :)

"Believe nothing.
    No matter where you read it,
    Or who said it,
    Even if I have said it,
    Unless it agrees with your own reason
    And your own common sense"
    - The Buddha, from Dhammapada

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

My first MMO was FFXI and I still compare new MMO's to it...I will always love FFXI but I've reached a stage in my life where I can't donate 3+ hours to group play and while I hear that it's better, I think that it's better I keep the nastalgia I have :)

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Hey all,

Well I voted yes, it was Dark Age of Camelot pre ToA-NF

While I tried to get into Ultima Online and Everquest, I never really got into these, the first mmo that I actually played for more than a month was DAoC, and what a ride it was.

It was really an unbelievable mmorpg experience, where the massive and the multiplayer truly meant something.

The guild I was in ( Defenders of Arcadia, that later merged into Ara Veritas ) was so awesome, perhaps that was part of the reason why I loved the game so much. But also our Realm ( Albion Bors, USA ) was great with alot of Realm pride, a feeling never matched by any other mmorpg after it.

The only mmorpg that can stand next to it ( for me ) is Star Wars Galaxies pre CU-NGE, it was a very social and massive multiplayer experience as well.

After DAoC and SWG were ruined by the devs, wether intentionally ( SWG ) or by accident ( DAoC ), I played alot of WoW and EVE, both gave me also good times.

I still play WoW now, and follow EVE from a distance.

But DAoC where the very best times, defending a keep together against the evil Mids or roaming Emain for war targets, running around with the guild, a death still meanth something and player bonds too.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• RenkovRenkov Member Posts: 13

The first MMO I really got INTO and liked. Was Tabula Rasa. I still miss it. I've played a great deal of MMO's, from the F2P's to some of the more fringe P2P ones. But TR was the first one that really got me into the genre. 

It wasn't perfect. By all means, it had its flaws, some more glaring than others. Some more game breaking than others, but the overall feel and the way it played was just more fluid than others. Balance was a big issue, but I was more of an PvE player so it never bothered me that much, and closer to the end, that problem too seemed to be ironed out. 

The First MMO I ever played was Anarchy Online. I still do to some extent, but the combat system is just so bloody nuts-and-bolts (a phrase I use on those MMO's that use auto-attack and skill-bar special attacks that let you go get a cup of coffee in the middle of  a fight) that I can't get into it. The size and scale of the world sorta makes up for it, but still. I'm hoping they come out with that engine update, fast. 

There are new ones on the sight that might fill that hole. I've played Fallen Earth and think it a good enough substitute. It too has issues but overall the package is decent enough to be engaging for more than 2 play sessions. And then there's Earthrise, a game I hope to play ASAP (not soon enough) to see if it can hold even a glimmer of the same feel to the atmosphere as TR did. 

• wahala99wahala99 Member UncommonPosts: 147

EvE Online was the first MMO i ever heard of.   I played it for 2.5 years.  I started before Exodus (I think that was the expansion name) and could do lvl 3 missions in my caracel.  Was training for BS and racking up isk.  Then exodus killed my ability to do lvl 3 missions solo until I got a Raven ... then I was back in business.  The variety of ships and weapons blew my mind and I spent the first year and a half just training and getting all the different ships I could.

Then I joined a corp with a great charismatic leader.  We were kickin ass.  He flew a Crow that could not be hit ..... way fast,  We had many sorties and battles and lots of fun.  We joined the largest alliance in the game at the time ,,,, had our own station ...it was cool.   Then rl took away the leader.   BoB was getting greedy and wipped our alliance out (almost) IN 3 OR 4 DAYS.  The corp kind of fell apart after that.  And we sort of joned with BoB then got looted ..... we were down.  My sister during this time had started playing LOTRO and convinced me to do a trial.  During that trial I looked up some reviews on youtube, and one said LOTRO was a WoW clone (I has never heard of wow) just not as good.  If you wanted that tkind of game why not just play the real thing.   So I started the WoW 10 day trial. 

It was love at first site.  fast paced. lots of stuff to do and kill.  No waiting hours at a gate to jump some enemy frigate.   No waiting hours for the big battle to start where after shooting my first missle the screen would freeze up and when it started moving again I'd be dead.   Cute little cartoon characters to run around on.  No days or weeks to train a skill so I could use a sword.   I had found Utopia.  I told my sister she tried the trial, cancelled LOTRO and has been playing WoW ever since.

I would have to say tho that EvE was my first love, but it was not particularily the game, but the people that I loved.   When they were gone the game became frustrating and slow ans repetative.

Then I fell in love with WoW (and still am to some extent) tho I have unsubbed a couple of times to try other games.  Still looking for the thrill of victory I guess ...

Sorry for the wall, I am juat reminising ... probably just the name of the game would have been plenty .... so

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]]]]   zip!!

If Ya Ain't Dyin, Ya Ain't Tryin

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    DAOC - no other/new MMO out that has its formula - so yes, still the best of its kind.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• kachengkacheng Member Posts: 2

Well, mine first MMO was L2. I'm not playing it anymore, but I still think it is a one of greatest MMOs out there :)

• CaelranCaelran Member Posts: 2

As far as I'm concerned, my first MMO was Silkroad Online. I played it in 2007. If there were no bots, I'd still play it.

• TariothTarioth Member Posts: 5

The first MMO that I saw was Ultima Online, (Which oddly enough I still have the disc for, even though the key isn't mine.) however, the first MMO I played was EVE-Online way back a month or so after the game was launched. And, that is the first one I REALLY got into. I remember mining, in a frigate, from 10 at night, until breakfast the next day, and I would do that most weekends. I still really enjoy the game when I play it, however, finances, as they do, make it unrealistic nowadays.

I digress. My first MMO love was and is EVE-Online.

• booboofingerbooboofinger Member UncommonPosts: 96

M y first MMO love was Anarchy Online.  I simply loved the game, and played it for hours upon hours for a good 3 years. Do I think it was the best MMO ever? No. 

Had I thought that, I probably would still be playing it. But the reality is that not only the games, but our tastes and lifestyles change with time.

I no longer have hours upon hours to wait for a raid team to form or would put up with running around for a considerable amount of time looking for someone to buff me so I could get my robot going every time I logged in (I played and engie).

So to make a long story short, whatever game I am playing at the moment is the one I consider the best one ever. But I am fickle and that could change at the drop of a hat.

• TheRogueXTheRogueX Member Posts: 3

I've played many, many MMOs, starting with UO.  The first one I really loved (it is still my favorite to this day) was Earth and Beyond.  They did such a good job with so many aspects of that game, and even though it had some problems (what game doesn't?), it was amazing in all other ways.

No game has ever done crafting better than it did, IMHO.

It really disappoints me that so many people love WoW and act like it's the greatest MMO ever.  It really, really isn't.   It's not a bad MMO by any means, and it has had its moments where it was really awesome, but man, it's down-right boring in the long run.  And really, it's starting to get sorta stale and silly... I mean, just how powerful can the characters get before it gets to be ludicrous?

• misfit7783misfit7783 Member Posts: 35

first mmo I really got into was conquer online...it was mehhh...killed time until WoW came and raped my life. But conquer was never my favorite just more of a time killer when i look back played alot of very good games since then.

• TheHelperTheHelper Member Posts: 108

The Gateway MMO: WoW

The Best MMO: Eq2 (still play EQ2X, moved over my lvl 80 dark elf Brigand from Live.)

The Best Combat:: Vindictus (proxied to play the NA verson, can't wait for EU.)

Mythos (Fast paced, REAL hack n slash, feels like torchlight online. Love it.)

Fury (the australian game, now bankrupt and gone forever, was one of the best pvp games I ever played, based purely on skill and timing, with killing moves and intense combat in arenas and various gametypes, was a game truely ahead of it's time.)

The Best Ideas: Mabinogi (had some very nice features which made it stand out. Felt like a jrpg version of second life)

WAR (obviously, for their PQ system which was a huge hit and my fondest memorys of the game, next to PvP.)

RIFT (inspired by WAR's PQ, created random  rifts opening in the sky and spawning invasions, was intense)

This is my two cents, just a list of my personal favorites, of which I still remember having fun on. Note the first game being WoW, was a fun game when I was new to the genre, but quickly as I became more experienced with the genre, became a dull game, and just like my introduction to the game, the only reason I continued playing was because I had friends of which played it.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

My first MMO was WoW, or you could say Diablo? lol....I finally had a decent laptop and I had a bad break up so I gave it a try. Played it for 2 years. I am now done with it but I'm no WoW-hater. I enjoyed my time spent with it. What would be my favorite all-time? Even though I never play it (sounds weird I know) it would be Fallen Earth. Being in school I strictly adhere to casual-friendly MMOs since not too much time, or thinking (though a lot of casual mmos do require thinking, they're not dumb). The environment still sucks me in whenever I can get around to playing and I just love the community. Right now I am in RIFT and I do love it. I don't consider it a water-downed, easy, casual MMO...I call it: Fun! People complain about casual mmos and how they are too 'easy' or there is nothing new, long story short: quit bitching and play a hardcore non-casual mmo like, i dunno: Fallen Earth, Darkfall, Eve Online, Mortal, etc....

• RobetDeWaltRobetDeWalt Member Posts: 8

The first MMO that I connected with was EQ.  The first run I made from Butcher Block to Qeynos took days and the tension was electric.  Every move needed caution and the sheer wonder of exploration was unmatched to this day.  Alas for the days of EverCrack!

Robet DeWalt

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Materia Magica (Moonlight) and Battletech MUX 3065. Hope the muds count.

REALITY CHECK

• Warshack1337Warshack1337 Member UncommonPosts: 39

My first goes way back to Anarachy Online...back many moons ago lol

• DW74DW74 Member Posts: 8

Like some others, Asheron's Call. Funny thing is, I never bought it. I "won" it from some Intel club I belonged to back in 99. I would still say the best MMO experience I had was SWG. The best community I had was my WoW guild.

"I think its just important to remember that no one falls into a simple set of labels, and its even more important, I think, to learn from your mistakes and to fight for the positive choice." - Lindsey Buckingham

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

I looked through this whole list, and can't believe I'm the only one who's first MMO love was The Realm (sierra) I started playing that in '96. I was about 13 at the time, and I would come home from school as fast as I could so I could get on the computer before my brother got home. I would stay on it until bedtime. The major draw for that games was most definitely communite. Since then I've played (and beta tested almost all....) T4C, EQ, DAOC, AC, AC2, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, LOTRO, a bunch of crappy f2p's, and a TON of other games, but nothing has given me that sense of community.

• JB47394JB47394 Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by RobetDeWalt
    The first MMO that I connected with was EQ.  The first run I made from Butcher Block to Qeynos took days and the tension was electric.  Every move needed caution and the sheer wonder of exploration was unmatched to this day.  Alas for the days of EverCrack!
    Robet DeWalt

Yeah, those were the days.

EverQuest was my second MMO, but it was the one that hooked me. I was part of the first big wave of players in the game, and it was all new. None of us really knew what we were doing and we just made it up as we went along. Nobody had ever had a level 10 character, let alone 8 level 80 characters. Nobody knew how to kite, manage aggro or any of that stuff. Nobody had ever crafted anything. Nobody knew the maps. The Internet was devoid of cheat information. So we banded together to beat the game. It was just a grand experience and I haven't come close to it since.

Note that the thrill of EverQuest faded once we settled solidly into the level grind. It sucked the life out of the game. No more learning new techniques. No more new dynamics in the group. No more novelty. All we had left was the grind. Games have been providing PvE grinds ever since, and it just doesn't hold my attention. I played Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft and EVE Online, but none of them had anywhere near the appeal of EverQuest.

Oh, and I made the Freeport to Qeynos run in one continuous sprint. Of course, I paid a guide to get me to Queynos, but that run was absolutely awesome. I just saw a blur of places, people and things as we ran, got jumped and killed by the orcs in Highpass, and was ready to kiss the walls of Qeynos by the time we arrived. That was just a bucket of fun.

Corpse runs. Ya gotta love 'em. Ya gotta hate 'em.

• raven7680raven7680 Member UncommonPosts: 21

WoW...I still have many fond memories from my 5.5 years as a Dwarf Priestess.

Devilish Smile photo DevilishSmilejpg

• KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

Earth and Beyond

• StuppeStuppe Member UncommonPosts: 59

Anarchy Online, hands down. Best years of my gaming history - both beta and launch. Turned me off alot when Shadowlands got released tho.. such a shame.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Absofrigginglutely yes!

First MMO love was SWG. I had a blast for almost 5 years. Ok, part of it were good guys in the guild and a REALLY great community!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert