Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: The Official Review

Comments

• KaynokKaynok Member Posts: 111

Usually reviews for MMOs are done about 3-4 weeks after the original release. Obviously that's more time than an RPG or FPS. If the game isn't full of quality at launch, than what do you expect the review to be? And yes maybe the developer did end up patching it, but from this review it seems as if there are more than just small little problems/glitches. Understandable review.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I have reaed so many negative things about htis game in the forums over the past few weeks and now this.

I almost wanted to give it a try, but there just seams way to much broken about it, to even bother at this point.

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

Don't be fooled by this review. Yes, Earthrise has problems, but not the type of problems described here. If you want to read the actual game problems, go and check the official forums of the game. At least the information there is given only by people who have bought and played the game, not people who read something or want to troll.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Kaynok

Usually reviews for MMOs are done about 3-4 weeks after the original release. Obviously that's more time than an RPG or FPS. If the game isn't full of quality at launch, than what do you expect the review to be? And yes maybe the developer did end up patching it, but from this review it seems as if there are more than just small little problems/glitches. Understandable review.

The game is not up par. I am stil enjoying the game, but I will not deny that they should have waited with release. This review however has a lot of things factual wrong or simple opinions based on wrong fact or guesses. Like most people (even the fans) say the 5.5 is correct, but the review is simply not good. 

• ChernaCherna Member Posts: 3

No its just a opinion from a reviewer. He doesn,t like the gameplay. But the review isn,t fair when it comes to gameplay. In my opinion the gamecore is very good and its only a matter of taste. The community is great and hulpfull and not a ganking party like AOC was with that awfull rangers ganking newbies. Also in T2 there is nothing they can use so you can easy PvE in that gear because in that gear you can also defeat highend mobs. Thats the great point of it. Only later on when the war will starts between the guilds then higher gear is a matter. Oh and crafting is very great. But its to early that you can judge how the economics will be after some time. I make my own game. Finding the recouses for crafting stuff  is a game itself.

And yes the game has lag, DMZ bug, other bugs,  exploiting. glitches etc. So in that case yes a 5.5 is acceptabel but this has nothing to do with the gamecore. But after the first patch i noticed a step forwards.

As example MMORPG rated STO with a 7.4 the most crappy MMORPG i ever saw. Mindless quest, awfull groundcombat, a nonsens crafting system, admiral in just 2 weeks , space combat was hitting the spacebutton as fast as possible and thats it. The most boring stuff i ever saw. And you got awfull instances in STO. Peeps cryed in just one week for more endcontent and quest. And then that awfull C-store. Well in my opinion that game never deserves a 7.4 So this tells us that all reviews are a matter of taste.

• EnlivenEnliven Member Posts: 9

This is absolutely sad that I have to write this, but the game is completly worthless, and not worth anyone's money. As someone who has followed this game for several years, stuck through beta and all the bugs that are SO present in this game, I have to warn anyone from buying this game, it is FAR from fun. If you enjoy grinding for hours on end, just to lose it all to a bug, crash, exploit, lag, glitch etc then this is for you. If you like pvp so laggy 90% of wpns can't hit people, and when you do finally earn some loot off a pvp battle, you crash, and log back in only to be shot about 50 times before loading in. Then to get any decent gear you have to spend 20+ hours a week just STACKING your mats in the inventory, thats awesome fun! What little fun actually exists in this game is completly destroyed by the amount of frusteration you will have over simply trying to playing the game. Please save yourself some money and get the next mmo hitting the market, this one won't be done for another 6 months, if it's ever fixed.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Here this is a PvP sandbox dream , thats the truth , unlike the original reviewer I disagree with the statement not enough sand around , cause tons of sand around , too much sand around ...

Just game was not ready for release , now we all can speculate why , but 2011 is a year full of promising mmorpg .

But for Masthead the ideas were right , just they are too stubborn to realise , you are targeting a small group market with the ideas , the small group market just became smaller cause of server issues , lag not good tutorials , buggy combat system .

Its silly when a flamer does more damage , then trying to place control burst , a flamer eats trough npc like crazy .

There approach instead of improving other weapon design is to nerf flamers , this backward thinking .

Is what makes so many bugs , overall while I didn´t buy the game , I could see the good ideas about this project .

But sadly the excution is so poorly done , and developers stuck in there own mindset .

That few good things will come from this . I wouldn´t recommend this game at all .

Unless you really believe in this PvP sandbox dream , then you must be ready to be a martyr for a while .

But thats the only reason I would recommend this product .

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

What I have seen about Earthrise is that its a pvp game with some pve mixed in. as for the sandbox I did not see it.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by GnatBug

I had my lesson with Cryptic's Star Trek Online ...I kown how you feel about waisting your money. Now learn from this and dont ever rush into a game on HYPE. 

Rule #1) Never Pre-Order unless you have played in the open beta of a game!

Rule#2) Never buy a lifetime subscription before you have played a game!

Rule#3) Always google the game to find out what others think, then make up you mind.

Rule#4) If Cryptic is developing...a game WAIT 5days before buying it ...Just to make sure it has content!

Rule#5) HE WHO HAS GAS ...Travels at the back of the line!

!!

Good points there bro!

• lancerxx68lancerxx68 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I'm waiting for the trial version before i decide.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think if Earthrise had been released a couple of years ago it might have scored a little better with the mmo gaming community. But, it is really dated in 2011, and proof that nobody actually will pay a sub for a mmo PvP "sandbox" 1st person scifi shooter as they can go to their console for better.

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

I don't think the problem is time of release and concept. The problem is that the game was released too early and people had too high expectations for it. Beta had to run about 3 more months. I am sure if this game has a second review after a while, the verdict will be much better as long as the devs keep improving the title like they do at the moment.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by Agricola1

I agree with the rating given to the game in the current state, but I feel the review moved into the region of bashing. I agree ER needs alot of fluff and fleshing out, but alot of those comments were just inaccurate in my opinion,

"This does add a degree of variation but the RPG genre has never comfortably or convincingly integrated modern weapons such as guns."

You guys gave STO 7.5 at launch, that has guns and is a total pile of shite!

"There is nothing on offer here that we haven't seen a thousand times before but done with more inspiration and ambition."

Well I was rather shocked to read that statement even if it is just the reviewers opinion.

" Earthrise offers nothing particularly new as the game will only ever call for a Tank, a Healer, a Support, and the ever-green DPS. Allowing players to pick and choose suitable abilities is only really giving the illusion of choice."

I was truly puzzled by this statement, I doubted if he'd played the game after reading that.

So in short a rating that I agree with but a written review that I find to be ignorant.

Basically exactly my thoughts when reading the review, agreed with the overall score (which is arbitrary anyway), but had an overwhealming feeling they had played an equally dissapointing but completely different game to the one I had.

agree those both posts

• testpilot_bgtestpilot_bg Member Posts: 19

Well, the author simply don't like PvP oriented games, but this review was a hate, most of it.

One playable race? Yes, it's happening on the planet Earth. I don't see many other intelligent species around to play with. It is called a LORE! No E.T. ... it is for adifferent game.

"Only once entered into the game world, players are able to begin shaping their character in whatever way they see fit."

Sure they do, that is all about this game, dude. And here comes:

"Earthrise offers nothing particularly new as the game will only ever call for a Tank, a Healer, a Support, and the ever-green DPS."

Excuse me, I'm playing with two types ofweapons - Presicion rifle and a shotgun and I'm going to craft some support and healing devices. So, what is my class in battle? I will tell u - whatever I choose to be, because you can switch weapons and devices in a thick! Though, mastering these skills are a difficult task. Maybe if I have some battlepoints from PvP ...

"The developers of Earthrise have taken a huge gamble in adding a manually aimed system with these weapons and while it is an amiable attempt, neither the client nor the server performance is adequate enough to pull it off."

I personally don't like WoW and other fanasy types of aiming systems. Manually aiming is something I've been looking for.And with the latest server patches, the lag is significally decreased. And no, u can't kite with T2 gear all mobs in the game. The faster and ranged mobs with much higher BR will bust u in a seconds.

"It is a crying shame then that this world is nothing more than a lifeless husk for which mobs to inhabit and players to discover with disappointed eyes. There is nothing to uncover, no stories to tease out, no real reason to question why that landmark is there or why this place has an intense population of overgrown rats."

In fact there is a whole bunch of stories and quests telling you about the world, the factions,their supporters and problems with the mutated wildlife of this futuristic and lack of humanity anti-utopia society.

Crafting is fun, killin mobs is fun (if u know howto hunt them). I only hope that jumping will drain stamina soon.

"The game is simply one-dimensional and in all honesty I see very little potential for anything else."

No,dude, the game is PvP-dimensional (It means ganging, loot, insurance, crafting, economy, tactics, strategy), where the PvE is only a background, telling you the story of the world because YOU (the player) is what making Earthrise alive and worthy. I wanna play with players agains players. Only other players is making a game fun 'cause they are not predictable,  they are not mobs and don't have the restrictions of the AI.

So, everyone who really likes the PvP, crafting, player-driven economy, unique approach of character development and the upcoming territorial conquest IS welcome!

The technology of Tau makes us strong!

• DarkeonDarkeon Member UncommonPosts: 48

I stoped reading at  "Earthrise only offers one playable race, boring Humans, and spits in the face of those other science-fiction formats"   ...  how can anyone think like that ??  {Mod Edit}

Btw I don't play Earthrise ... yet 

• TrowarTrowar Member Posts: 147

" Earthrise only offers one playable race, boring Humans, and spits in the face of those other science-fiction formats with their exotic and varied body-forms- get your cloak and hat other bipedal, extraterrestrial races: you are not welcome here."

"The skill menu is available from the UI and calls forth a frightening amount of choices, and using earned battle points and crafting points, this is where the majority of development comes from."

That part of the review... I am just lost of words. Many genre specific mmorpgs do offer "just boring humans" but does that hurt the rating of for example EvE-online? EvE is indeed a Scifi game set far into the future while Earthrise is more of a post apocalyptic game even if it is more Scifi than Fallen Earth.

Mmorpgs with "just boring humans" tend to compensate this with putting more choises in the skill trees instead, and again that didn´t hurt the rating of EvE-online that has many skills and that game hasn´t been downgraded because of that.

I have no plans of buying Earthrise but this review seems very unfair, it surely seems like the wrong reviewer has been picked for this a reviewer that had expected something like a Star Wars mmorpg. Big surprice! It isn´t!

If I remember it correct so was Fallen Earth given low scores at first by mmorpg.com, but that was taken back.

The reviewers here doesn´t like post-apocaplyptic games in general?

• DarkeonDarkeon Member UncommonPosts: 48

"The reviewers here doesn´t like post-apocaplyptic games in general?"

No, I think they are fans of themepark games ... all hail WoW for making mmorpgs like Mario

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by Trowar

" Earthrise only offers one playable race, boring Humans, and spits in the face of those other science-fiction formats with their exotic and varied body-forms- get your cloak and hat other bipedal, extraterrestrial races: you are not welcome here."

"The skill menu is available from the UI and calls forth a frightening amount of choices, and using earned battle points and crafting points, this is where the majority of development comes from."

That part of the review... I am just lost of words. Many genre specific mmorpgs do offer "just boring humans" but does that hurt the rating of for example EvE-online? EvE is indeed a Scifi game set far into the future while Earthrise is more of a post apocalyptic game even if it is more Scifi than Fallen Earth.

Mmorpgs with "just boring humans" tend to compensate this with putting more choises in the skill trees instead, and again that didn´t hurt the rating of EvE-online that has many skills and that game hasn´t been downgraded because of that.

I have no plans of buying Earthrise but this review seems very unfair, it surely seems like the wrong reviewer has been picked for this a reviewer that had expected something like a Star Wars mmorpg. Big surprice! It isn´t!

If I remember it correct so was Fallen Earth given low scores at first by mmorpg.com, but that was taken back.

The reviewers here doesn´t like post-apocaplyptic games in general?

Yeah Fallen Earth got low scores at first but it actually did a lot of patches and content and got better and they didn't charge $70 for the software. I actually got my Fallen Earth free.  ER has no chance of getting better unless MH is willing to make the necessary changes but they won't and ER will fail to reach any real playerbase comparable to a AAA title in part because forced FFAPVP is epic fail by design. RF Online shutdown, APB shutdown, Archlord free to play etc...  On it's current path, ER in one year will either be shutdown, free 2 play or just another subpar mmo with an insignificant playerbase and overpriced client software. 

• testpilot_bgtestpilot_bg Member Posts: 19

ER willbe like EVE's 1st year.

The technology of Tau makes us strong!

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by lkavadas

I'm not saying the final score isn't accurate but the descriptions throughout the piece is complete garbage.  I'd honestly fire this reviewer as accuracy seems to bear little importance in his pieces.

What does it matter if the final score is correct?

I skimmed the review, but at the end of the day 5.5 (poor) is the result and thats what matters.

• intoExileintoExile Member Posts: 48

The final score is actually very generous of mmorpg.com.

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Didn't play the game but I agree completely at this last jab at ffa full-loot PvP.

I too have no idea why all those devs believe a sandbox MMO absolutely has to have full-looting? Imo this is THE reason all those "new" (/rolleyes) sandbox games really have no chance at mainstream popularity. (ok EVE, I know I know.. but its insurance mechanic pretty much negates the effect of it).

Your mistake is thinking that sandbox games are ever intended to be "mainstream".

Howver, I do agree that the PvP aspect of most of these games is not a plus for me. I want sandbox-style options without having to join a large guild and run around in a group just to prevent from getting ganked all the time. PvP also adds to the "grind" of any "sandbox" game, because it's easy to feel forced into leveling fast to keep up with the people out to get you, literally.

;)

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• DelennDelenn Member Posts: 1

If sandbox means a game without any comfort like Map shades for quest areas this is a sandbox game.

I mourn the day I bought this game because of thinking "Hurra, a new SF-MMORPG".

Very poor performance combined with real FPS targeting -> only useful weapons are Shottie, Flamer and Close-Combat arms.

The developers should have played Tabula Rasa, a nice combat system with a mix of direct aiming and locking weapons.

Who in the world designed a separate combat-mode while the mobs are spawning right on you ?

And finally, my "favourite" : You loose all collected items when you die, sure you can insure them, but you will never gain enough money because you have nothing to sell :-(

Crafting is also made near impossible due to this fact.

I still hope for a redesign and relaunch, but I think this game is not even at beta at the current status.

Look at Rift how a new game should start.

Sorry but 5.5 is still to high for me, maybe in the early 90s this was OK, but we are in 2011.

My Rating:  3.0

P.S.: Still hoping for TR relaunched.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Delenn

I can understand the rateing, but really you can not expect a company like Masthead to have a start as good as a company that has millions to spend and the backing of the biggest media funds out there. 

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Originally posted by Coman

Originally posted by Delenn

I can understand the rateing, but really you can not expect a company like Masthead to have a start as good as a company that has millions to spend and the backing of the biggest media funds out there. 

I can if they are charging AAA game prices, that is, if you charge at a AAA game price you better produce a AAA game experience. Or drop the price/wait longer/both otherwise,  you end up with a loss.