Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100 bucks to start playing WoW? REALLY?

Comments

• LyulfeLyulfe Member Posts: 213

The $100 dollar or so it took to get going dissuaded me from trying it. Until that November "everything except Cata" for $20 sale, Crafty buggers.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by MasterDeadly

Originally posted by VirusDancer

...snip..

From Blizzard's site:

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.

The WoW subscriber base is not actual subscriptions.  Even Blizzard acknowledges this...why can't you?

So...you were saying...or trying to say...something?

That World Of Warcraft has 12 million Subscribers to date and it is the 100 pound Gorilla in the room. Oh and your also very very misinformed.

Blizzard's site:  http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?110110

They have the sub definition in many of their press releases.

Again, Blizzard acknowledges it...why can't you?

The statement still stands. World of Warcraft has over 12 millions subscribers. The only thing in that statement that makes the number bump up a bit is the fact that it counts people who may have quit in the last month. To the Blizzard definition it has over 12 mill subscribers. So yes, quality comes at a price and it is true everywhere you look. 

The statement stands on what Blizzard has defined as their subscriber base - not their subscribers.  Blizzard is very good on the legal side of things to keep things very clear.  Blizzard does not state they have 12 mil subscribers.  They state they have a 12 mil subscriber base and then define what they consider to be subscribers (which includes people that would not be counted based on a normal subscriber definition - would not require the special definition that Blizzard has in place).

You can deny it all you like, but Blizzard has been very clear on it.  I applaud their honesty.  I pity your delusion.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• MasterDeadlyMasterDeadly Member Posts: 78

For a Triple AAA title that is too good to turn down.

...snip..

From Blizzard's site:

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.

The WoW subscriber base is not actual subscriptions.  Even Blizzard acknowledges this...why can't you?

That World Of Warcraft has 12 million Subscribers to date and it is the 100 pound Gorilla in the room. Oh and your also very very misinformed.

Blizzard's site:  http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?110110

The statement still stands. World of Warcraft has over 12 millions subscribers. The only thing in that statement that makes the number bump up a bit is the fact that it counts people who may have quit in the last month. To the Blizzard definition it has over 12 mill subscribers. So yes, quality comes at a price and it is true everywhere you look. 

The statement stands on what Blizzard has defined as their subscriber base - not their subscribers.  Blizzard is very good on the legal side of things to keep things very clear.  Blizzard does not state they have 12 mil subscribers.  They state they have a 12 mil subscriber base and then define what they consider to be subscribers (which includes people that would not be counted based on a normal subscriber definition - would not require the special definition that Blizzard has in place).

You can deny it all you like, but Blizzard has been very clear on it.  I applaud their honesty.  I pity your delusion.

According to Blizzard's definition of a Subscriber Base they have over 12 million? Am i incorrect ? no.

...snip..

From Blizzard's site:

According to Blizzard's definition of a Subscriber Base they have over 12 million? Am i incorrect ? no.

Nobody is arguing that Blizzard does not have a 12 mil subscriber base using their definition of subscriber.

A 12 mil subscriber base with their definition is not the same in the least as saying they have 12 mil subscribers...

...which you said.

...and were thus wrong.

• EagleDelta2EagleDelta2 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Originally posted by jason_webb

Originally posted by EagleDelta2

Originally posted by jason_webb

And as a side bar, two of the bigger 'Free To Play' games came out no better. To have 'Full Access' to all the features in Guild Wars and D&D Online you were looking at;

Guild Wars - Approx $297

D&D Online - $555 - $869 (depending on how you buy your points and upper level includes a 50 character upgrade to match WoW)

I'm not sure about DDO's prices, but when I referred to getting "Full Access" - that means getting access to all the content in the game, things like GW's Character slots, Skill Unlock Packs, Storage Expansion don't count as they are entirely optional and don't add to the content at all.  

GW's content cost:

Amazon - $48.38 +S&H

GW Trilogy - $29.99

GW: EOTN - $8.40

GW: Bouns Mission Pack - $9.99 (only through GW in-game store/NCSoft Store)

Steam - 69.97

GW Trilogy - $29.99

GW: EOTN - $29.99

GW: Bonus Mission Pack - $9.99 (only through GW in-game store/NCSoft Store)

Keep in mind there is no Sub either, so that's it either way it's about the cost of a current game to get GW and all it's content.

Not entirely all of the content, you forgot about the unlock packs (7 x £7 each), extra character slots @ £7 each, PvP access kits etc, etc.....

I addressed that - Character Slots don't count as content, neither do the unlock packs - everything in the unlock packs can be unlocked by playing the game and why would you need more than 8 character slots?

I've used more character slots in GW than WoW and I'm still under 8 in both

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Or you can just try EvE free for 14 days, then pay $20 for 30 days of gameplay plus all expansions.  You can even pay for your subscription with ingame currency!  Turn down the suck, turn up the good and come play EvE!

...snip..

From Blizzard's site:

Nobody is arguing that Blizzard does not have a 12 mil subscriber base using their definition of subscriber.

A 12 mil subscriber base with their definition is not the same in the least as saying they have 12 mil subscribers...

...which you said.

...and were thus wrong.

Now your just being pedantic. All that we can take away from this is that World of Warcraft is going to be worth its weight in gold for your money. The fact that you laughed at "Quality comes at a price" puts you in a state of error. There is no question that World of Warcraft is a well polished and quality product. 

...snip...

Now your just being pedantic. All that we can take away from this is that World of Warcraft is going to be worth its weight in gold for your money. The fact that you laughed at "Quality comes at a price" puts you in a state of error. There is no question that World of Warcraft is a well polished and quality product. 

Nothing from this thread has suggested that in the least.  Your subjective opinion of the game is not fact.

It is up to a person to decide whether the game is for them, whether they feel it is well polished and a quality product.  It is not up to you to decide it for them.

The suggestion offered in the thread to partake in the trial - was a good one.  The suggestion in the thread to purchase just Vanilla and take it from there - good suggestion.

Suggesting that somebody spend $100-130 because "you" say so...not so good.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I think it is time some guys learn to differentiate quality and quantity.

Or, to put it in other words: A zillion flies can't be wrong: eat crap and fly.

Sorry but outdated graphics and mechanics plus gear grind, awful community, little challenge and dumb crafting... so, those are the qualities that define a quality product?

...snip...

Nothing from this thread has suggested that in the least.  Your subjective opinion of the game is not fact.

It is up to a person to decide whether the game is for them, whether they feel it is well polished and a quality product.  It is not up to you to decide it for them.

The suggestion offered in the thread to partake in the trial - was a good one.  The suggestion in the thread to purchase just Vanilla and take it from there - good suggestion.

Suggesting that somebody spend $100-130 because "you" say so...not so good.

In comparison to other MMO's in the market this title is extremely polished and i couldn't suggest a better MMO for you to find your feet in. Plus you would know if the game is for you by the end of the trial, if not by the time you finish Vanilla - Good suggestion.

• Elpresador69Elpresador69 Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by gordiflu

Sorry but outdated graphics and mechanics plus gear grind, awful community, little challenge and dumb crafting... so, those are the qualities that define a quality product?

Lol. Poor troll is troll. This is all subjective. You may think that but in reality aren't most MMO's like that. To be so naive and narrow minded makes me wonder about your well being.

If you find a game fun. You play it, it can't be any simpler, stick to to the game you play.

Oh and i've love to see what guild your in. Paragon? Oh and whats your Arena rating?

If you find a game fun. You play it, it can't be any simpler, stick to to the game you play.

Fun is definitely the key to it.  People enjoy different games, and if you find a game fun - who cares if somebody else does not find it to be fun.  You cannot convince them otherwise much like they would not be able to convince you otherwise - trying to do so would just be a waste of time.

It is one of the reasons that although the market is saturated, there are plenty of games out there that in the end most should be able to find something they find fun...

Originally posted by Elpresador69

Lol. Poor troll is troll. This is all subjective. You may think that but in reality aren't most MMO's like that. To be so naive and narrow minded makes me wonder about your well being.

You are right. Most MMOs are like that. Most MMOs are not quality.

BTW, you are the one trolling, man. You are calling me names but you have not even tried to discuss any of the points I am commenting.

Outdated graphics is not subjective. Want a calendar? It's 2011, you know?

Gear grind is not subjective. We all know WoW is one of the most gear-centric MMOs out there. Know many MMOs with a gear rating score?

Awful community, this may be subjective. But funnily enough most non-wow players agree on this, and many WoW players do too.

Little challenge is not subjective. I don't need to link you videos of Paladins actually facerolling on the keyboard and yet killing the mobs or Warlocks leveling while AFK with their pets, do I.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by daveospice

If I want to be up to date and start playing WoW for the first time and have all the access everyone else does I have to pay 100 bucks?  This late in the game?

This game looks like it was made in 1998 and was state of the art THEN!  Why the hell would I pay 100 bucks for out dated graphics, and generic gameplay?  If it was FTP MAYBE, but 100 bucks and 15 bucks a month to play a game that everyone considers the carebear game of the masses?  Whatever man.  Whatever.  Lower the damn price or no new players will try it.

Really wish I could get my 20 or so seconds back.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Fun is definitely the key to it.  People enjoy different games, and if you find a game fun - who cares if somebody else does not find it to be fun.  You cannot convince them otherwise much like they would not be able to convince you otherwise - trying to do so would just be a waste of time.

It is one of the reasons that although the market is saturated, there are plenty of games out there that in the end most should be able to find something they find fun...

Indeed, Although WoW is a great entry into the MMO genre its not to everyone's taste. I started out being the only MMO player in my circle of friends at college. A year later there all playing it with me due to the trial or recruit a friend so its clearly the best way into the game to find your feet.

BTW, you are the one trolling, man. You are calling me names but you have not even tried to discuss any of the points I am commenting.

Gear grind is not subjective. We all know WoW is one of the most gear-centric MMOs out there. Know many MMOs with a gear rating score?

Awful community, this may be subjective. But funnily enough most non-wow players agree on this, and many WoW players do too.

Little challenge is not subjective. I don't need to link you videos of Paladins actually facerolling on the keyboard and yet killing the mobs or Warlocks leveling while AFK with their pets, do I.

Paladins faceroll? Okay. What ever you say brother. You got cataclysm yet? RNG based  paladins may be but faceroll? Far from it. Its obvious you haven't got Cataclysm yet you can comment on 'out-dated graphics' and 'grindy mechanics'. You are misinformed and highly in need of researching before posting.

• neobamboomneobamboom Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by pragues

Apparently 12.000.000 players are willing to pay the fee...

Or the equivalent of 1.2 to 1.4 billion dollars per year. (depending on expansion box sales).

So perhaps that shows a sign about the overall quality. From flying mounts to rated PvP to extreme hard Raid content to seamless open world design ...

Quality has its price.

but how many of those are active subscribers? That's just PR nonsense, I've created about 10k trail accounts myself.

Oh and i've love to see what guild your in. Paragon? Oh and whats your Arena rating?

None. No. None. All answered, thanks.

I don't play WoW now. And anyway, your question is absolutelly unrelated to what we are discussing here. If you are after an excuse to show off your own rating or whatever, link it here if you fancy so. Anyway, we couldn't care less.

Now, if anybody wants to discuss things in a smart way I ll be happy to do so. From now on, my little trolls, welcome to ignore.

Paladins faceroll? Okay. What ever you say brother. You got cataclysm yet? RNG based  paladins may be but faceroll? Far from it. Its obvious you haven't got Cataclysm yet you can comment on 'out-dated graphics' and 'grindy mechanics'. You are misinformed and highly in need of researching before posting.

I am so disinformed that I actually played Cata even before you knew of its existance when working for Blizzard. Since I don't work for them anymore, screw NDAs.

You can't say there is little challenge within WoW. Unless you have cleared the current content up to its limits then i can't agree with that. Paladins facerolling on the keyboard and killing mobs or Warlocks leveling while AFK with their pets? most of that didn't make any sense. If you didn't no already Ret Paladins are in a pretty bad state and saying that they can faceroll warlocks whilst AFK is understandable if they can't fight back... lol

I am so disinformed that I actually played Cata even before you knew of its existance when working for Blizzard. Since I don't work for them anymore, screw NDAs.

Ex Blizz employee. I've heard it all now.

How naive can you get? Your the one claiming the graphics are out-dated and the mechanics grindy. You clearly have not played Cataclysm. Get your facts right before brushing  people off as trolls.