Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Destiny of Velious Launches

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has announced that the newest Everquest II expansion, Destiny of Velious, has officially launched. To celebrate, the team has sent out a boatload of new screenshots for your Tuesday viewing.

FEATURES:

• Soar high above Norrath with all-new flying mounts

• Crawl through 10 dangerous dungeons

• Complete four new Heritage Quests

• Battle through more than 300 new quests

• Conquer a  new massive contested dungeon

• Discover two new overland zones

• Defeat four new raid instances

• Collect more than 1,000 new weapons and items

• Journey through a new Signature Quest line

• Slay more than 30 new creatures

• Equip more than 100 new armor sets

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

cool to hear but i really cant belive sony is still wasteing its time with eq2..eq2 has had soo many changes to it "more for the bad" wether its pvp or pve its just not fun anymore and most of the paying servers and lowr lvl areas are ghost towns..theres soo many other things they should be working on atm and spending money on ..dont get me wrong ..i loved eq2 before they changed most of the pvp rules..loved the gank fests...and flying mounts and another xpan wont draw me back in

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

would be nice to install it after paying for it but all i get is fatal error..f---ing sony  strike again..anyone got any ideas, wont update at all

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

I heard they made every quest reward "treasure" or something like that so you need those item shop tokens to equip it. Is that true?

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

for kev ...I had that error untill completely updated, and if it doesnt download try shift region - helped for some.

and for twil...erh no?` not sure what you mean but you need certain factions, for the new adornments, but those are for legendary and fabled items?

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

lvl86+ required for flying... that sucks

ty Hed for the advice...for some reason its installing eu version..i,m from UK but prefer US servers,how do i change that or do i need to d/load us version? any help would be great..p.s also when i try to log in it saying that no server available although its showing silverpaw with light population,any ideas on that one as well guys , thnx in advance

lvl 86  for flying..not even lvl 1 yet lol

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

You guys are too early. SOE didn't pay the bill and so it won't launch until further notice lol.

In other words. They screwed up again and servers are still down. 3 and half hours overdue and clock still ticking with no ETA.

Heh... you got to love $OE. Every year... same story.

oh well   same ol crap..well at least it can d/load without me interfering.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Lol Eq 2 is waay to old they need to start making a new one lol

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

they are as far as i know

• hopefayehopefaye Member Posts: 1

Obviously you have never played EQ2. If you did, you would know that they have many updates. This is the best MMORPG that I have played yet, and I have played many. I don't think that EQ2 enough praise. What game can you find for one a crafting system, or a harvesting system like eq2? NOWHERE!!.

er..vanguard maybe?

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

I have Never played EQ or EQ2 but i heard they was great mmorpg's  i am pretty sure they will make a third one.

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

I heard they made every quest reward "treasure" or something like that so you need those item shop tokens to equip it. Is that true?

Anyone can equip treasured items that drop from mobs.

You might be thinking of legendary or fabled items for which you need tokens from the shop if you are either a bronze or silver member on the Extended server.

If you are playing on the Live servers, or if you are a gold or platinum member on the Extended server, you of course do not need to buy tokens at all.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• AerigAerig Member Posts: 15

I am pretty wordy so if you are illiterate please dont scream WoT! :P

I played EQ and EQ 2 and, imo, they were and are both world beating games. The release of EQ 2 was more or less the death of at least the EU servers and the release of the EQ 2 PvP servers was more or less the death of the PvE servers. You have to credit SOE with consistently annoying its player base by disrupting a great status quo.

But, in fairness EQ 2 was and is an excellent game to play. It is fast paced and the instanced action is incredibly exciting. The classes are very well balanced and designed. For me, good game design and ingame mechanics will win out at the end of the day over all eye candy and, in this area, I think EQ 2 is unrivaled.

Before the wowboys yell WoW! No, WoW is not better though I give its due for being a good game in its own right. WoW lacks the nice fast pace of EQ 2, the elegance of the class design and mechanics and quite a large amount derived from the extended heritage that EQ 2 derives from EQ which, contrary to the popular belief that WoW was the first big mmo, was actually the first big mmo.

Back to EQ 2, my main concern at the moment is that, as a paying EQ 2X subscriber, the server stability has been truly atrocious for the last 5 days. So bad, in fact, that, if it continues to be so poor, my subscription will not last past the end of the current month.

On the other hand, for about an equal period of time prior to that (I am only recently returned to EQ 2 having been disgusted at Turbine's grossly deceitful misuse of PMB in allowing(?) it to steal player's internet bandwidth) the EQ2X server ran extremely stably and reliably.

So .. I am hoping that, in spite of the current delays in getting the servers up and running, the game wil return to its expected stable operation and the game will continue to provide the level of fun that it has been for about half of the ten days or so that I have been playing again.

As for DoV: Hrm .. EQ expansions usually had some merit. At least I enjoyed all of them up till the release of LDoN at which point, admittedly a bit jaded by the game anyaw (as one does get a bit tired of a gae after a year or so) I began to hae cooncerns that that one was going to completely destroy the game balance. I believe it probably did.

So DoV? I wont buy it at the current price. I think the price is way to much to ask for an expansion to a game that already has a monthly subscription. Bear in mind that EQ2X may be F2P but that EQ2 is not.

On top of that, DoV sounds like a high end expansion and my characters are only level 20-30 so its kinda a redundant issue for me.

I think a much more useful consideration is, the release of DoV bringing EQ 2 to prominence in the news, iwhether or not other comments in this thread have merit.

In EQ2X you do not need to buy SC (Sony Cash) to use your quest rewards. That, imo, sounds like playground speculation.

EQ2/X is an old game and the graphics, in all honesty, are not world beating. However, they work fine and the water rendering is still about the best I have seen.

Like I said above, the game mechanics remain excellent and EQ 2 is a wonderfully playable and fun game with and extremely rich and varied adventure setting.

I dont know what the population issues are on the EQ2 servers are but the EQ2X server is hugely populated and extremely active.

Should you play EQ2/X? The free version is playable without spending a cent/penny and is very enjoyable. If you are bored of your current game then EQ2X will probably be good fun for you - just click the big Play Free icon to join a guaranteedly busy server.

My personal opinion is that the Bronze (free) account is extremely limited and that, if you have fun with the game, then upgrading to Silver is a very good deal for the one off cost of $10.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by JeroKane

You guys are too early. SOE didn't pay the bill and so it won't launch until further notice lol.

In other words. They screwed up again and servers are still down. 3 and half hours overdue and clock still ticking with no ETA.

Heh... you got to love $OE. Every year... same story.

I love how you make it seem like this is exclusive to SoE.  This is standard procedure for every major MMO.  For example, Blizzard is just as bad.  Every x.x patch is always a huge ordeal.  They just got wise and have the big expansion patch a month prior so it seems like the expansion launches smoothly.

Originally posted by TribeofOne

The people bitching that you ened to be lvl 86 and need to do a quest line really need to shut up before you ruin it for those of us that like to earn big rewards.  I realize you might not have necessarily been bitching, but there are a LOT of people upset.  I want to smack em all.

-someone that only plays eq2 sporadically and does not have a 86+ character

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Im not happy with eq2 at the moment. In order to get the mythic weapons for your class, theyre requiring you to do a tedious quest line from expansions past. Not to mention that parts of the quest line require you camp mobs in zones that will be very heavily contested on nagafen, in other words, only the big ole raiding guilds will get them handily.

Also flying mounts in pvp? Cmon thats going to be a nightmare on Nagafen. Theres several other factors in why i cancelled my account rather than buying yet another expansion, but I wont bore you with them all.

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98

<sigh> I played EQ2 since it was released. I quit a almost a month ago. Same crap over and over and over and over and over and over. Now Velious is out. And I have seen screen shots and video of game play. Some things don't ever change. Did SOE bother making new looking mobs for the <new> expansion. Nope. Did they wanna take the game any new direction? nope.

It looks to me as if SOE just said "hell with it. They want flying mounts. Let's just make Velious and make that our selling point."

How can they still be using mob models they used in the Kunark expansion ???!!! I mean how many venus flytrap looking plants can there be in Norath? More than 1 I think. The wurm models also..same as Kunark exp. The quest line is still a big pile of crap. Yeah I seen the video..enough with the damn erudians...enough.

For those of you still playing EQ2. Good Luck with the same ol story line. Same ol mobs.same ol same ol everything. Maybe one day SOE will call Verant up and say..we are so sorry for destroying the great legacy of EQ

As for me. Thursday I will be playing RIFT. I want even spend the $$ or time careing for Velious...the divorce...is final.

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

Originally posted by TopperH444

<sigh> I played EQ2 since it was released. I quit a almost a month ago. Same crap over and over and over and over and over and over. Now Velious is out. And I have seen screen shots and video of game play. Some things don't ever change. Did SOE bother making new looking mobs for the <new> expansion. Nope. Did they wanna take the game any new direction? nope.

It looks to me as if SOE just said "hell with it. They want flying mounts. Let's just make Velious and make that our selling point."

How can they still be using mob models they used in the Kunark expansion ???!!! I mean how many venus flytrap looking plants can there be in Norath? More than 1 I think. The wurm models also..same as Kunark exp. The quest line is still a big pile of crap. Yeah I seen the video..enough with the damn erudians...enough.

For those of you still playing EQ2. Good Luck with the same ol story line. Same ol mobs.same ol same ol everything. Maybe one day SOE will call Verant up and say..we are so sorry for destroying the great legacy of EQ

As for me. Thursday I will be playing RIFT. I want even spend the $$ or time careing for Velious...the divorce...is final.

Wait so you are complaining about 'same ol everything' yet saying you are going to Rift?  Good luck with that....

• joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

Originally posted by Arcken
    Im not happy with eq2 at the moment. In order to get the mythic weapons for your class, theyre requiring you to do a tedious quest line from expansions past. Not to mention that parts of the quest line require you camp mobs in zones that will be very heavily contested on nagafen, in other words, only the big ole raiding guilds will get them handily.
    Also flying mounts in pvp? Cmon thats going to be a nightmare on Nagafen. Theres several other factors in why i cancelled my account rather than buying yet another expansion, but I wont bore you with them all.

Why did you roll on a PVP server if you're going to complain about "big ole raiding guilds"? Really? People are STILL whining about this kinda thing?

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by TribeofOne

The people bitching that you ened to be lvl 86 and need to do a quest line really need to shut up before you ruin it for those of us that like to earn big rewards.  I realize you might not have necessarily been bitching, but there are a LOT of people upset.  I want to smack em all.

-someone that only plays eq2 sporadically and does not have a 86+ character

IMO its a stupid design decision what good does flight do for anyone lvl86+ in any zone below their lvl range? nothing but allow then an avantage for farming/gathering

Flying mounts should be introduced much earlier to be of more benefit in leveling for those who purchased the expansion.

Maybe some kind of maturing flying mount that starts off limited but unlocks fully at 86.

What i didnt like was that for all the Velious advertising you see FLYING MOUNTS they never mentioned that you had to be near max lvl or in a raiding guild to even use them. thats deceptive

• NiiehNiieh Member Posts: 46

It's not only the flying mounts that require you to be almost max. level... there's nothing in this expansion for players lower than lvl 85. This is really stupid IMO. I would gladly spend 40$ on an expansion pack, but my main character is only lvl 70, so I'm not buying anything now.

I did like the fact that they made the previous expansion pack free to play now. My level cap just went up from 80 to 90 for free :D

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

Everquest 2 really lost luster for me after the Kunark expansion, that was a pretty good one but it still felt like it was missing something.

I have left EQ 2 about 2 months ago after 4 years of an on again off again affair.

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW