Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another WoW clone (just with rifts gimmick) sigh....

Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

Played the last beta for 15 hours. Soul system is quite neat, yes. Graphics are decent. Character models are good, with lacklustre character customization. UI is a copy of WoW (which is okay, why fix what isn't broke and all that, I get it) Questing is nothing special and nothing new. I don't understand the gross hype. This game is the very definition of a WoW clone with a new coat of paint, yet people claim it as a "WoW killer" The lack of originality is SO dissappointing! Why can't developers use a little creativity and brainpower and get away from "raid all day for gear" end-game and offer something more unique, offer something more compelling in general?

Comments

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

This is a very original post. I applaud you on your creativity and uniqueness of view. On the other hand, it's a shame you didn't enjoy the game. I hope you're able to find one more to your liking.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by Tutu2

Played the last beta for 15 hours. Soul system is quite neat, yes. Graphics are decent. Character models are good, with lacklustre character customization. UI is a copy of WoW (which is okay, why fix what isn't broke and all that, I get it) Questing is nothing special and nothing new. I don't understand the gross hype. This game is the very definition of a WoW clone with a new coat of paint, yet people claim it as a "WoW killer" The lack of originality is SO dissappointing! Why can't developers use a little creativity and brainpower and get away from "raid all day for gear" end-game and offer something more unique?

There's alot of people out there that are very excited about a high quality High Fantasy game that doesn't have Motorcycle mounts in it...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

- 143 possible character build combinations.

- Dynamic, open world content delivery system including raids.

- High quality instanced pvp (that does not detract from the open world experience at all) and dungeon content.

- High quality open world player vs player.

- High degree of polish.

- Social environment that is being openly embraced by players.

- A devoted team of skilled developers that are dedicated to listening to the players, and even before the game has launched have managed to prove themselves time and time again through pristine communication between themselves and the playerbase/fanbase on every front.

Those are my main reasons, I originally disliked the game myself for the first few betas. However, after participating in Beta 4/5/6/7 I have become a massive fan. I personally think that the game appeals to old school gamers because it really seems to nurture that social aspect of gameplay that many of us absolutely adored in our original games.

People are forming bonds again with there fellow players, an aspect of play that has honestly died down alot over the last few years, and that alone is enough to excite many individuals. As it should, because that is truly what these games are all about, forming friendships with people to overcome challenges.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

In before lock hehe

• praguespragues Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by romanator0

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/306250/READ-The-Rift-World-of-WarcraftWarhammerEtc-Comparison-Thread.html

this is just going to get locked.

@ OP: We know.

@ Rom: We know.

@ Players: Please pay. All negative threads bundels on one thread and the rest of the discussions deleted (locked).

Everyone needs to learn the lessons of the past I guess.

:))

.. My bet: it won't work either...

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

January 1st - March 1st so far (soon)

DCUO, Earthrise, Xsyon, Rift

=
    2 Sandboxes
    1 Superhero actionwhatever
    1 Themepark
    +1 EQ1 classic servers

Where are the "OH NO, NOT ANOTHER SANDBOX!"-Threads?^^
    This year so far there seem be MMOs for many different tastes.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Ya know, I am really surprised all those horse bodies aren't mushed into the ground completely with all this beating.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Swanea

Ya know, I am really surprised all those horse bodies aren't mushed into the ground completely with all this beating.

It's zombie horses, no doubt about it. Beating won't help, they just keep rising and they want to suck away your brain.

My advice: only burning helps or cutting off its head.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Played the last beta for 15 hours. Soul system is quite neat, yes. Graphics are decent. Character models are good, with lacklustre character customization. UI is a copy of WoW (which is okay, why fix what isn't broke and all that, I get it) Questing is nothing special and nothing new. I don't understand the gross hype. This game is the very definition of a WoW clone with a new coat of paint, yet people claim it as a "WoW killer" The lack of originality is SO dissappointing! Why can't developers use a little creativity and brainpower and get away from "raid all day for gear" end-game and offer something more unique?

There's alot of people out there that are very excited about a high quality High Fantasy game that doesn't have Motorcycle mounts in it...

high fantasy?? have you played defiant side or read about them?

and motor cycle is crafted by engineers, so having that skill definitely suits creation of machines.

Guardians are more high fantasy. Defiants are steampunk. They do have mechanical horses I believe. Thing is, there is steampunk and there is going too far. It's all a matter of taste.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by Xasapis

Guardians are more high fantasy. Defiants are steampunk. They do have mechanical horses I believe. Thing is, there is steampunk and there is going too far. It's all a matter of taste.

Wait that's why.  The horses aren't zombie horses that we are beating, they are mechanical horses to beat!  Thus it shall never stop!

• donkeysdonkeys Member Posts: 239

yes,....this is much better image

Nothing says high-quality fantasy like a double-headed-turtle mount.

Collector's editions are scams.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by pierth

This is a very original post. I applaud you on your creativity and uniqueness of view. On the other hand, it's a shame you didn't enjoy the game. I hope you're able to find one more to your liking.

Well if so many people seemingly made the same type of post then maybe there is something to it no?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Really how many WoW is going to die post and this will kill WoW threads do you see on the average .Has that come to pass yet  ?

• LegionPothLegionPoth Member UncommonPosts: 14

I played two days of the six day beta, I was rather impressed with rift in general, with two exceptions, a rift opened right on my only quest giver's location (apperntly quite a common occurance) five levels above me, and I shouldn't have to try to organize a raid to turn in a quest, which we ended up doing and failing miserably.

The second for as dynamic as the class system is supposed to be, by rewarding players more for a master dump into one tree, basicly feels like wasted potential. 

I don't feel that rift is really a WoW Clone, just the same way as runes of magic isn't a clone of every half decent gimic in every other MMORPG. 

The second part was the six day beta.

Really? Are these people so ready to get financialy destroyed by their compettition and poor marketing that they're going to skip some of the most cruicial time for testing, and building a player base?

The comunity was great, and the graphics were better than my computer, what sound i could get working was tolelrable. The only reason these factors played out that way is because an alpha comunity is the upper eschelon of players. I don't expect that to last either.

• TheHelperTheHelper Member Posts: 108

Made me smile.

Originally posted by Kost

Everyone will have a min / max build 2 weeks after release. Not to mention the fact that many souls have exact copies of abilities.

You think there's 100 ways to do DPS? I have news for you, there's not. There's 1 right way and 99 wrong ways.

Have fun seeing your class get nerfed every week because the developers need to retune 300 combinations. Hey!..it already happened in beta.

Not entirely true. The best damage build available is not the best PvP build available. Different builds for different situations will be the flavour of the game, facilitated of course with the amount of roles (four in total).

Originally posted by Mogcat

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by pierth

Well if so many people seemingly made the same type of post then maybe there is something to it no?

No way!? Lolz you aint gonna get any sympathy here for a while since launch is around. People are fired up for this. Give it a while.

Actually the "this MMORPG will close in X months" or "the X MMORPG is a WoW clone" are as tired as the "WoW killer MMORPG" topics. Both are facepalm worthy.

Not entirely true. The best damage build available is not the best PvP build available. Different builds for different situations will be the flavour of the game, facilitated of course with the amount of roles (four in total).

PVP specs are nothing new, that's 1 build, 1.

There's thousands of possible DPS builds, and only 1 build will be doing the most DPS....the one with the min / max build that allows it!

So either developers admit that 1 build is the most DPS and admit the soul system is a scam or they will nerf and boost every build weekly until players are fed up.

Everyone will min / max in Rift, it will be non-stop theorycrafting and whining when the nerf of 1 soul affects EVERYONE in the game and every other soul needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Not to mention the fact that they're trying to juggle PVP + PVE, which never works. PVP players will whine non-stop for nerfs.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by donkeys

Originally posted by Kost

Everyone will have a min / max build 2 weeks after release. Not to mention the fact that many souls have exact copies of abilities.

You think there's 100 ways to do DPS? I have news for you, there's not. There's 1 right way and 99 wrong ways.

Have fun seeing your class get nerfed every week because the developers need to retune 300 combinations. Hey!..it already happened in beta.

Oh really? One right way and 99 wrong ways? It's a lot more in depth than that. Why don't people understand that when they pull such absurd numbers out of a defective hat that they just destroy their own credibility?

The number of soul combinations is pretty big, but even that hints at the total number of possible character builds. You can have a number of builds that combine the same three souls, but end up with different results based on how many points are in each soul and where those points went in each tree.

Theory crafters will grace us with what the raw numbers tell us about the most efficient DPS builds, but there is more to a good, fun character than raw DPS. Nobody really knows how to quantify the other elements that can go into making a solid build. I've already seen class guides offer DPS build suggestions, with the caveat that they don't take survivability, utility or play experience into account when chosing those builds. Calculating maximized DPS is easy and some people will cling to it as an objective measure of one aspect of character uber-ness. The braver, more creative players will look for combinations that may sacrifice a little raw DPS, in return for other things that will benefit their character and fit their playstyle.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

there is more to a good, fun character than raw DPS.

In the back of your head you know this isn't true, but it's so hard to admit it because that would undermine this whole "soul system".

Every single game based on the holy trinity makes min / max builds. There is no reason to assume Rift is any different.

The funny thing of all this is that Rift will end up with LESS diverity instead of more class diversity. Because you will have 4 classes that will be min / max and that's it.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

"gimmicks like rifts" are all thats left until some MAJOR strides in technology are made.  at present there is no innovation left in the MMO genre.. its all been done. All we can look for and hope for are the games that do it better than the others. Rift Does that.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by donkeys

PVP specs are nothing new, that's 1 build, 1.

There's thousands of possible DPS builds, and only 1 build will be doing the most DPS....the one with the min / max build that allows it!

So either developers admit that 1 build is the most DPS and admit the soul system is a scam or they will nerf and boost every build weekly until players are fed up.

Everyone will min / max in Rift, it will be non-stop theorycrafting and whining when the nerf of 1 soul affects EVERYONE in the game and every other soul needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Not to mention the fact that they're trying to juggle PVP + PVE, which never works. PVP players will whine non-stop for nerfs.

Wow, its always funny when people look at just one aspect of a build and become blind to everything else. Yes one buld may have the highest dps. Will that character be able to stealth to get to their target? Will that character be able to move fast enough to get to their target before they are themselves killed? Will that build have range attack thus not requiring movement much at all? How about defense to stuns, roots, mezzes or or spells abilities that will totally negate thier dps for lengths of time. Having the highest melee DPS means nothing if a mage or archer picks you off before you can get in range away, or if your killed by a much lower dps because your standing there stunned/mezzed etc

but no, really continue to tell us how one aspect will always rule out all other considations.

Just shows how limited your thinking is. 

This discussion has been closed.