Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMOFPS?

Comments

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by just2duh

Originally posted by tkoreaper

MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online.

Playing with 12, 32, or even 64 people isn't "Massive" in my opinion. Persistent world or not, you put hundreds of people together then you have a MMO... Not the miniscule amount of people you claim to be a MMO.

That doesn't mean there aren't others besides those 12, 32, or 64 people though. There is no humanly way possible to play with every single person connected to what you all consider a true MMO, so seriously what's the difference. They both can have 100's of thousands connected to the game, and you'll still be able to interact with the same ammount either way.

lol anyways, this sort of debate has been going on for years, no point arguing it in an unrelated thread, so i'll just agree to disagree now.

Say that to people who've played Planetside and you'll get tons of people saying you're wrong. The number may not be in the 1,000s when it comes to people playing in that exact area, but in a game like Planetside, what happens somewhere that is very far way CAN and WILL have a major impact on everyone else.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Originally posted by just2duh

Playing with 12, 32, or even 64 people isn't "Massive" in my opinion. Persistent world or not, you put hundreds of people together then you have a MMO... Not the miniscule amount of people you claim to be a MMO.

That doesn't mean there aren't others besides those 12, 32, or 64 people though. There is no humanly way possible to play with every single person connected to what you all consider a true MMO, so seriously what's the difference. They both can have 100's of thousands connected to the game, and you'll still be able to interact with the same ammount either way.

lol anyways, this sort of debate has been going on for years, no point arguing it in an unrelated thread, so i'll just agree to disagree now.

Actually that's a false argument.

As I all ready stated, the scale of Planetside, Battlefield Europe, and MAG all play a very important role to the resulting individual player experience. The fact that hundreds of people can all see and interact with one another actually can and does mean that you will more than likely have at least an indirect influence on one another's time playing together, if not a direct one from whatever comes out of your gun.

Even in more traditional MMOs it's actually very important, like in the case of Lineage 2, where base sieges can and does have a thousand people all in a single point of conflict. You truly do interact both directly and indirectly with hundreds and hundreds of people during those battles. That scale of interaction is very important and intrinsic to the results of the games and the way people play them.

You have to seriously downplay the impact of such games and the things people do  in them in order to fool yourself into claiming there's no difference.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Laughing-man

riginally posted by tkoreaper

The persistant part is in the text book definition of the term, the sum of the words does not a definition make.

You're so stubborn it's not even funny. Quit hanging on the "persistant world" BS... You're completely ignoring the fact that it also states that an MMO is a game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. That's hundreds/thousands on the same server... NOT across all servers.

Here's some more information that you fail to leave out of your "textbook definition".

MMOGs host a large number of players in a single game world, and all of those players can interact with each other at any given time. Popular MMOGs might have thousands of players online at any given time, usually on a company owned server. Non-MMOGs, such as Battlefield 1942 or Half-Life usually have fewer than 50 players online (per server) and are usually played on private servers. Also, MMOGs usually do not have any significant mods since the game must work on company servers.

MMOFPS is an online gaming genre which features a persistent world and a large number of simultaneous players in a first-person shooter fashion. These games provide large-scale, sometimes team-based combat. The addition of persistence in the game world means that these games add elements typically found in RPGs, such as experience points. However, MMOFPS games emphasize player skill more than player statistics, as no number of in-game bonuses will compensate for a player's inability to aim and think tactically.

The original MMOFPS, World War II Online was released was on June 6, 2001 and later renamed Battleground Europe. This game has a thriving community and is constantly being upgraded. Neocron is sometimes considered the first MMOFPS, most consider it a hybrid of MMORPG and first-person shooter, with the later PlanetSide sometimes considered the first MMOFPS. Upcoming MMOFPS titles includeFirefallTribes Universe and PlanetSide Next.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

that project blackout is an MMO? looks like every other shooter out there except with shit graphics.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Blackfire1Blackfire1 Member UncommonPosts: 116

This game is shit. I mean really. Planetside in its current state NOW is better then this crap. 

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

This is unbeliveable a thread about MMOFPS' and no one has mentioned Darkfall! The best MMOFPS game released at the moment. Aim all your moves, progress with your character (RPG element), build/take cities and hamlet, fight on boats at sea ect ect ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrbN0WsHaow

Just a random PvP video from a couple of days ago. It's not free to pay but it's a great game to play if you're seeking a challenging with FPS combat.

Originally posted by Greymoor

This is unbeliveable a thread about MMOFPS' and no one has mentioned Darkfall! The best MMOFPS game released at the moment. Aim all your moves, progress with your character (RPG element), build/take cities and hamlet, fight on boats at sea ect ect ect.

Just a random PvP video from a couple of days ago. It's not free to pay but it's a great game to play if you're seeking a challenging with FPS combat.

Yes because clearly a game that is struggling to have over 1000 subs makes it the best game ever.

Maybe no one mentioned it because that game is horrible. But that's just my opinion, just like your post was. But really... All I see in that video is people running in circles swinging weapons around aimlessly... I really don't see any fun in that. Really the only reason why that game can even be considered to be challenging is... not because you actually have to aim, but because people run all over the place in excess of 30mph.

Anyways... this thread is about FPS, not RPG... just because you have to aim to swing or use some abilities doesn't make it an FPS. You're not shooting anything.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

Originally posted by Greymoor

Yes because clearly a game that is struggling to have over 1000 subs makes it the best game ever.

Maybe no one mentioned it because that game is horrible. But that's just my opinion, just like your post was. But really... All I see in that video is people running in circles swinging weapons around aimlessly... I really don't see any fun in that. Really the only reason why that game can even be considered to be challenging is... not because you actually have to aim, but because people run all over the place in excess of 30mph.

Anyways... this thread is about FPS, not RPG... just because you have to aim to swing or use some abilities doesn't make it an FPS. You're not shooting anything.

Struggling to have over 1k subs :s?! It's certainly no massive hit at the moment but that is far from the truth, the game in thriving at the moment.

Melee combat isn't just random swinging, those people there are moving with purpose. Not clear from a bystanders perspective but they are. Challenging because it has a great mob AI, it's harsher than other MMO's and the PvP is more challenging than other MMOs.

DFO is has FPS style game play, you aim your arrows and you aim your spells. FPS isn't limited to actual guns.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Originally posted by Geowash

Heres a video demenstrating Project Blackout...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VYb_BZBaWo

I thought it was a amazing game my self... downloaded it after I watched MMOHuts video on youtube... and it is sooooo good. Plus it can be ran on a netbook and is only 500mb.

If you have any questions post here or there. I dont care which.

Thanks,

Zach Sharpes

Thats not a MMO, its a stat tracking FPS.  Darkfall is an example of a MMOFPS with a persistant world.

FPS=First Person Shooter.

Darkfall is not a shooter.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Axehilt

Looks pretty bland.  Even typical FPSes that revolve around 1-shot kill headshots are a bit shaky, let alone F2P games trying to pass themselves off as MMOs.

Certainly nothing I would play over a AAA multiplayer FPS, or Planetside.

I found this game has better hitboxes than Black Ops or MW 2. Only thing it lacks is graphics.

Games are more than just hitboxes, they're about whether you make interesting decisions.

Pure hitscan games just offer a shallower skill spectrum than other games, since the primary skill tends to be exactly the same as clicking icons on your desktop (track the mouse + click.)  But throw in some trajectory-based weaponry and you start seeing a lot more skill depth emerge in a FPS, since there's more to doing well than simple hitscan weaponry.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• liamkincaidliamkincaid Member UncommonPosts: 27

What about AVA?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I spend a ton of time in Combat Arms, but for fun team play I'd really recommend AVA and Genesis AD. AVA has very intuitive gameplay and easy to understnad team objectives. Genesis AD adds a nice future spin without getting all stupid with change for change's sake.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• duelkoreduelkore Member Posts: 228

The OP kinda scares me.  Are you just trolling or are you really so obtuse?  This game is clearly not an MMO.  The game looks like pure crap, so thats not even up for discussion. What is up for discussion is the right to call it an MMO. And no, there is no right to call it an MMO.  I cant belive we even need to talk about this. it seems so obvious it is not an MMO.  

Hey, humans need water to survive.  Hey, we breathe oxygen.  These are facts that your opinion doesnt alter the truth of.  Much like The developers opinions do not make this crap game an MMOFPS.  It is simply a crappy FTPFPS

• GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by duelkore

The OP kinda scares me.  Are you just trolling or are you really so obtuse?  This game is clearly not an MMO.  The game looks like pure crap, so thats not even up for discussion. What is up for discussion is the right to call it an MMO. And no, there is no right to call it an MMO.  I cant belive we even need to talk about this. it seems so obvious it is not an MMO.  

Hey, humans need water to survive.  Hey, we breathe oxygen.  These are facts that your opinion doesnt alter the truth of.  Much like The developers opinions do not make this crap game an MMOFPS.  It is simply a crappy FTPFPS

Why is this game on MMOHUT.com then? Why is it reviewed by one of the more well known Free 2 Play MMO reviewers on youtube? Its a MMOFPS weither you like it or not. Personally people think to much about MMORPG when they look at the word MMOFPS. Two different things, two different stipulations.

And I dont base reviews entirely on Graphics, I base it off gameplay. I liked CS gameplay to certain levels, but this game really puts me over the edge. This is America, im entitled to my opinion and I like to express it to potential viewers to promote a good game. There are others out there that are good, but id say Project Blackout>Black Ops (Black ops is not a mmo.). I mean seriously, Atleast Project Blackout works when you start it up for the first time =P. Plus Project Blackout and other MMOFPS like A.V.A. share some of the same things that MMORPGs have such as item malls, gun malls, leveling, friend lists, looking for group, chatrooms, sub chat rooms, etc... etc... and in my opinion they dont get to be called a MMORPG because RPG stands for role playing game. FPS stands for First Person Shooter. Two entirely different genres with two entirely different stipulations for that one word MMO.

We are way off topic people, I know this thread is my opinion, and others are expressing other games, but when you start talking about what a MMO is, this now turns into a different thread. We can not change that Crossfire, Planetside, A.V.A., Genisis AD, etc etc... are classified as MMOFPS. They are and its not changing anytime soon.

Thanks

Zach Sharpes

Now lets talk about our fav MMOFPS again shall we?  =D

Looks pretty bland.  Even typical FPSes that revolve around 1-shot kill headshots are a bit shaky, let alone F2P games trying to pass themselves off as MMOs.

Certainly nothing I would play over a AAA multiplayer FPS, or Planetside.

I found this game has better hitboxes than Black Ops or MW 2. Only thing it lacks is graphics.

Games are more than just hitboxes, they're about whether you make interesting decisions.

Pure hitscan games just offer a shallower skill spectrum than other games, since the primary skill tends to be exactly the same as clicking icons on your desktop (track the mouse + click.)  But throw in some trajectory-based weaponry and you start seeing a lot more skill depth emerge in a FPS, since there's more to doing well than simple hitscan weaponry.

I agree with you Axehilt, but when I shoot a guy and a bullet goes right through him on a 5 bar connection theres something wrong. Ive played along side a guy who won a couple CoD tournys and he agrees that since after CoD4 the hitboxes are shit. That and I could have went pro at Halo if I wanted to become a no life fag and that game had great hit boxes that actually landed shots.

There are other things yes, but if your game has shitty hitboxes, people will complain, and thats why CoD4 is still alive and well.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Look up the definition of MMORPG and get out of your own head. It doesn't even require a persistent world, just a persistent experience. A MMO requires even less to fit the definition of "Massive Multiplayer Online".

Wikipedia: MMORPG

PC Magazine: MMORPG

Call of Duty, which has a persistent experience and persistent character development falls under the definition of mmorpg. The definition is much broader than what you've accepted. The definition of 'MMO' is includes even a wider range of games.

That doesn't mean the game isn't bad. It might be, I have no idea.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Look up the definition of MMORPG and get out of your own head. It doesn't even require a persistent world, just a persistent experience. A MMO requires even less to fit the definition of "Massive Multiplayer Online".

Wikipedia: MMORPG

PC Magazine: MMORPG

Call of Duty, which has a persistent experience and persistent character development falls under the definition of mmorpg. The definition is much broader than what you've accepted. The definition of 'MMO' is includes even a wider range of games.

That doesn't mean the game isn't bad. It might be, I have no idea.

* Facepalm* "MMORPG" Is a different sub catagory of MMO. Seriously im losing braincells now guys.

Lizard you might wish to read what you link.

'(Massively Multiuser Online Role Playing Game) A role playing game on the computer played by many people. An MMORPG differs from a regular computer role playing game because its environment is perpetual. People log in, join the game, take on their role and leave whenever they wish, but the game continues. See CRPGMMOG and Second Life. '

'its environment is perpetual'

That means persistent world.

'MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world,'

There too.

And I'm pretty certain we all ready covered the 'lobby is not a persistent world' point. Also covered the 'Yes, it is actually an RPG too' point.

At this point it's only a broken record defense of people mislabeling their games in order to compete in a market they have no place in.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

I would of assumed that inhabitors of a website called mmorpg.com would know what an mmo actually is.  Im suprised how far off reality some of you people seem. Im gonna call diablo an MMO.  starcraft is now a mmorts too.   This kinda brings me to another point of why I usually solo or group with rl friends or guildies. The retard disease is spread so far these days

Originally posted by Deivos

Lizard you might wish to read what you link.

'(Massively Multiuser Online Role Playing Game) A role playing game on the computer played by many people. An MMORPG differs from a regular computer role playing game because its environment is perpetual. People log in, join the game, take on their role and leave whenever they wish, but the game continues. See CRPGMMOG and Second Life. '

'its environment is perpetual'

That means persistent world.

'MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world,'

There too.

And I'm pretty certain we all ready covered the 'lobby is not a persistent world' point. Also covered the 'Yes, it is actually an RPG too' point.

At this point it's only a broken record defense of people mislabeling their games in order to compete in a market they have no place in.

Ok so I guess Darkfall is a FPS and I guess WoW is a Racing game. Seriously just because some elements are shown it does not mean that the game is that catagory. MMORPG came from the term MMO. MMOFPS Came from the term MMO. MMO Means persistant world. Its in its textbook definition. You can say oh well its not that its something else. Thats a Urban definition that does not apply to a arguement.

You sound like a broken record man just because you dont think FPS games belong as MMOs. Quite frankly I agree, but im a reviewer so I call them what they are... not what I think they should be.

I would of assumed that inhabitors of a website called mmorpg.com would know what an mmo actually is.  Im suprised how far off reality some of you people seem. Im gonna call diablo an MMO.  starcraft is now a mmorts too.   This kinda brings me to another point of why I usually solo or group with rl friends or guildies. The retard disease is spread so far these days

I agree man.

I agree man.

We are in a disagreement actually.  Maybe Im old. I started with ultima, everquest, and dark ages of camelot.. MMORPG was a term used to describe those games. AFAIK thats when the term MMORPG was coined.  That time period. That style of game.  Where you had zones in a living, breathing, persistent world.  Where you could have 100 man encounters.  Thats what an MMORPG is.

I really do not care what ever spin some 20 year old puts on the definition now.  Chances are that person never played the greats.   If you want to call some multiplayer coop game an mmo, well I just dont know what else to say.  The english language has been known to change.  YALL is a real word  and all.  

I agree man.

We are in a disagreement actually.  Maybe Im old. I started with ultima, everquest, and dark ages of camelot.. MMORPG was a term used to describe those games. AFAIK thats when the term MMORPG was coined.  That time period. That style of game.  Where you had zones in a living, breathing, persistent world.  Where you could have 100 man encounters.  Thats what an MMORPG is.

I really do not care what ever spin some 20 year old puts on the definition now.  Chances are that person never played the greats.   If you want to call some multiplayer coop game an mmo, well I just dont know what else to say.  The english language has been known to change.  YALL is a real word  and all.  

I just use the terms that are on the site and what the games call them selfs. Im a reviewer so its only smart to call them what they are trying to be. And ive played EQ, and recently tried UO. Love EQ, wasnt a fan of UO. The term MMOFPS Is a new term now really. I started seeing it around 2005 more often. Should it have the title MMO? No, and I will agree with that, but being a reviewer I call them what ever the developers call em.

You realize that Duke was prodding at you with that commentary, right Geo?

You just agreed that you have 'retard disease'...

Aside from that. You keep railing on subcategories. You have enough flexibility to accept a lobby game as an MMO, but you can't perceive crossing genres of gameplay? And like I said before, it's not niddly little aspects that makes it an RPG/FPS. It has a full progression and stat tracking system, it's got everything it needs mechanically to be an RPG. It plays as a FPS, but plying as an FPS doesn't mean it's strictly an FPS. Mass Effect 2 plays just the same. Guns have a baseline and don't necessarily progress in damage as you level, but you rank up and can earn new things that modify and augment tour play. Yet it's called an RPG, why? Because it's sold as such. And that's the only difference.

Bioshock

Deus Ex

Fallout 3

Hellgate London

Mass Effect

Neocron

PlanetSide

Stalker

System Shock

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

These all play as FPS and RPG games. Some have more linear progression, some are nonlinear. But the clear tie are that they all do the exact same things Blackout and others do. In this case it's just denial by saying since they didn't tack the RPG part on themselves, then it doesn't exist, which is just as nonsense as letting them call the game something it's blatantly not.

I've been using the definitions to show that they don't live up to the title. Very distinctly, the fact that ay one calls a lobby a persistent world is one of the annoyance points, because it's a freaking chatroom, a small quick forum at best.

And if your statement that you agree is true, then you're arguing semantics for the sake of defending flawed logic, which makes even less sense to me.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

This has degraded to parsing English and insults, I did not see that coming.

On a serious note, I'm sort of excited about Planetside Next Phase in Getting Cash From People or whatever they called it. But yeah, market seems a bit thin. It's like asking who the best Alaskan bullfighter is.