Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: Second First Impressions

Comments

• SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296

First off, the following isn't meant to be in any way a stab at people. I 'm just utterly bam-fucking-boozled that people are still getting caught out by the 'current day MMO' - which is in all honesty a travesty. 90% ( I love pulling baseless statistics out of my head) of the new generation of MMOs are unfinished borefests.

From a guy who used to be all about MMOs (and I mean all about them; eat sleep and you know - mmos) the last few years I've completely removed them from my mind as the last straw (Aion) just convinced me the genre had stagnated and I wasn't having it. Even with the likes of Rift and KOTRO coming I feel little or no inclination to return.

That being said I hope those of you who are still with the genre are enjoying yourselves, regardless of events like Earthrise's launch being more common place than necessary. From a financial perspective I wonder what (lets say) the last 5 MMOs have accomplished?

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

"The fact is, if you are interested in a game such as Earthrise, you have come from a background of hard laborious grind and it's something you enjoy. Earthrise isn't bad for doing this, just catering to a certain audience."

Check and double check your "facts" here, I'm interested in this thing solely because of setting, artstyle and possible features.

My background is also filled with "hard laborious grind" stuff and I've come to the same conclusion in every one of those games: it's pure utter shit that this is in.

However, I appreciate that the rest of the review is pretty honest, though I think reviewers on this site should just give flat hard scores for each part of the game and calculate an average in the end.

Going to wait with Earthrise, until some free trial business comes out.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by Speedhaak

From a financial perspective I wonder what (lets say) the last 5 MMOs have accomplished?

Why?  Are you a stockholder?  The only thing you really need to worry about is if you have fun playing.

• HaatchiHaatchi Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by vktra79

Originally posted by seabeast

"Oh and about the pricing - Why the reviewer did not mention the fact that the Earthtise team gave 1 free month of play, which basically makes the price of the game $35 or 35 EUR? Where else have we seen such a quick reaction by any MMO developer."

Weell, FF gave 2 free months after releasing a game that was not ready...by their account. The price does not drop, onlly more time to play a below par game while they fix the things they should have fixed prior to relase...Just a thought.

Well I didn't play that one. Anyway, the preview is not objective, it says what the mmorpg.com community wants to hear and I don't blame the reviewer.

Agreed!

& I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had this feeling after finishing the first paragraph.

Honnestly, after reading the first "first impression", I wanted to see something crushing the game to warn potential players. However although this second "first impression' do crush ER, it's not really convincing. The problem isn't coming from the arguments used, but the fact that they were used to make the community happy. I agree with the conclusion of the article, not with the reasoning.

Imo, it didn't ask the good question. The review reported the problems, but failed to tacke them.  Why ER is is danger?  Because its server lags and because it  was poorly coded; or, because history showed that it is nearly impossible to make major change in a mmo which is on the market? (SWG NGE... )

Most mmos released in such a state have disappeared after a year.

Well, again, the conclusions of the article are good.  Equally I don't think that an objective review of EarthRise should mention the skill or craft systems.. In its current state, the game won't allow the majority of the players to access them. I bought the game for the ideas offered by Masthead concept. But, as I wasn't able to see by myself whether they are in the game or not (performance makes the game unplayable for me), and as I'm apparently not the only one, it is totally irrelevant to discuss whether the game has a good housing system or not.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Just a remindr that Eve had lag issues within first year too until they used theit money for a large server upgrade and redid their structure. Hopefully Earthrise does something similar.

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

Great preview. You hit it right on the head .. As for a review ill take this preview in its place. No need to pussy foot around the truth it is what it is. More gbaming sites need to justy be blunt and frank with its readers. LOOK OUT FOR US.

Too many times i read " its an indie dev team" That doesnt pass the smell test.. i see indie developers putting out some pretty sweet titles. Then there are developers that go past thier means and thier capabilities. Lets not make excuses for these teams. Im sick of seeing fellow gamers fall into the later category. Hay news flash, these dev  teams that put out shit games, dont give a shit about you plain and simple. They only care about ther fat $ in thier eyes thats blinding them.

Remember gamers a turd is a turd. Sure the guy that laid it may be a novice and may not be sitting on a Golden throne, but in the end wtf does it matter its still a turd. Nothing you can say will change that fact. I feel this way about it, if you enjoy getting shit on your hands cause you decided to pick it up and play it well its on you not me.  I will be laughing at you.

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

They released it hoping they would get enough suckers to pay $50euros. One thing a small studio should never do is release a product that limits it's player base so severely.  Forced pvp isn't going to get ER the subs it needs to sustain the operation of the game servers even if you eliminate the heinous technical issues. ER will either be offline or f2p within a year.

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

This game is dead on arrival.

Vanguard was a great game.  Gorgeous graphics.  Good game play imo.  Huge world.  Tons of content.

It basically crashed and burned because of a shitty launch which is an utter shame.  I would play the game now if it wasn't for the fact that it still has a tiiiiiiny population just barely keeping it a float last I heard.  While I like to solo, I don't want to play in a barren world in an mmo.

I give ER no chance in hell and I haven't even played it and I already know it's not gonna make it.  5k players.?  That's embarrassing.

• rivethead23rivethead23 Member Posts: 41

The one thing I have learned from playing MMO's for years.. unless you absolutely are comfortable paying for what is presented in the beta, don't buy it at release. Let others work the issues out then buy. I was interested in ER but I decided to not let my enthusiasm take over and instead wait. I'll keep waiting until they fix stuff then maybe I'll buy.

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

too bad. The game looks realy nice. And the thing you said about exploration peaked my interests.

Also, nice to hear a review that doesn't give a game kudos for potential.

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• ResiaResia Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by nodamnspam

The one thing I have learned from playing MMO's for years.. unless you absolutely are comfortable paying for what is presented in the beta, don't buy it at release. Let others work the issues out then buy. I was interested in ER but I decided to not let my enthusiasm take over and instead wait. I'll keep waiting until they fix stuff then maybe I'll buy.

This is a key point for me and I would love more honest reviews on the current state of the games instead of what should happen at launch. I have gone through several game launches and for the most part I was very aware of their current state and willing to still pay and stick with them for awhile. I usually have to rely on the forum posts for "real" reviews, it would be nice of the reviews from the websites were equally honest.

"Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better." parrotpholk

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Valid review.

I think its a bit unfair to condem the whole community though, many of us in game don't even pay attention to global as its full of idiots mostly. There are many helpful players.

• ShroudednovaShroudednova Member Posts: 29

Great read, an informative first impressions on issues that count when evaluating a new released MMO. I look forward to reading more updates on Earthrise that address the issues mentioned in this article. Keep up the good work MMORPG!

• SinrothSinroth Member CommonPosts: 12

The "Parting coments" sound exactly like Aion. Especially the part about those that are blindly loyal. If I didn't know better, I would've thought he was talking about that game.

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

Thanks for an honest glimps/impression into the game, saving people their hard earned cash, albeit a late one :P

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

Companies can do this because people are dumb enough and bored enough to pay knowing the beta was fail in the first place. 

Think people have been waiting sooooo long for a new game they have lowered there standards without even knowing it.

• GilwenGilwen Member UncommonPosts: 48

Great review. Totally agree with you there. I'm also one of the unlucky ones who bought this game as digital download. I think you forgot to mention that as soon as you step out of the nice camp you can get jumped by any and all players around you, would have been nice if even some areas would have been off-PvP.

Just makes learning the ropes more hazarding as.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

At least people complaiing about the various issue's IN GAME actually made it into the game.

Some people (myslef included) bought the game, but cannot even log in, because of an issue with the game client claiming the username/password is invalid.

After Masthead claimed the issue was resolved and reset the password 5 times, I decided paying $50 for a forum account was a bit much and asked for a refund, to which Masthead replied that according to them, there is no issue, I have recieved everything I paid for, so no refund.

CC company felt differently.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• DereknorDereknor Member Posts: 35

thanks for this second "first" impression. Its much more like the first impression everyone have who bought the game

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Im happy with this second article. Developers should know that the current state of the game is just as important (if not more for some players) as whatever feature it offers. They should know by now that loss of potential subs because of a crappy release will be very difficult to overcome in the future. Most players dont like to take that risk anymore of paying for a game that plays like an early beta in the hope itll improve soon.

I mean where would the financial incentive be to improve the game any further, if a lot of players were that stupid to pay for an unfinished game?

• celee2222celee2222 Member Posts: 123

Im giving this one a good year before trying it out.

If it fails miserably I wont be at all supprised in todays financial climate

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

I might give it a go when it gets fixed/playable. I won't ruin my own personal impression because of technical issues that can be solved in a few months or less. So thanks for this article - Now I know I won't have to try this game yet.

Sticking to Darkfall for my 'sandbox' needs for now.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Mindeater

{mod edit}

It's not a review, it's an impression of the game. It's also an accurate representation of the game right now. We have no idea what the developer is going to do with the game in the future, but if people are going to spend money on the game right now, they should have a good idea of what they're getting into.

If the game does well in 2 months, great. But it's not 2 months from now, is it? It's right now, and right now, this game is boned.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

They aren't rating it. It's just the writers' personal recommendation based on whether or not this game is playable at this point, it's only their opinion/impression.

You can't really call something a review when there isn't a number(s) being slapped on a product. Atleast that's how i see it.

• MindeaterMindeater Member Posts: 5

{Mod Edit}

How many people who post negative comments on these threads even play the game, or any of these games theyre posting on?  Yet how many people see the commentary and are influenced by it?

I purchased Earthrise on a whim, and got my copy a few days ago.  The problems do exist within the game.  Ive been playing these games, reviewing them, and working with developers on them for the past 14 years.

There is nothing new in the problems Earthrise is having.  Reporting like this is making a mountain out of a molehill.   Players then had problems with the launch quality of products, but they dealt with it and the products became great.    In 14 years the launch quality has not changed.  That should tell any intelligent person that it likely isnt going to... unless of course some studio is willing to shell out 100+ million dollars for development in order to make it happen.