Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sigh... ok I am done with Rift

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I am done with Rift. I really wanted to like the game, it looks great, Trion is putting great effort into it, but today is really the last nail in the coffin.

I know people say WOW has a bad community, and going into it's dungeon browser really shows you the scum of humanity. But this... no matter what little you ask or critizise, I haven't EVER seen such an amount of hate, harrasment, flaming and attack than in the Rift chat channels. Why is it so difficult to just discuss different opinions WITHOUT 30 people jumping at my throat? I just don't want to spent my limited lifetime in an environment with such amounts of hate and agression around me.

It just is the last straw on many issues. Boring "Kill 10 Goblin" quests all over, difficulty & respawn rates, recent rise of bugs and issues... but more than all this the community looks terrible to me. I was just saying my Ranger/Marksman was constantly dying in some places, and the sheer amount of mockery, hate and whatnot was just... depressing.

You know, I didnt want to say this, but I had my 40th birthday today, I feel it's like "ok I am officially not young anymore" and having more days behind me than ahead of me, I made one decision today: I WONT stay in places with mean and inpolite people. I am mortal, my time is limited and life is too precious to waste it in places with unfriendly people. So while in past years I was more willing to "fight over things", debate all over and taking all bad manners, I decided from today I will avoid such places.

Maybe you think about this one time.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• DanubusDanubus Member Posts: 169

agree with ya. I uninstalled it just a few minutes ago. It doesn't really do anything for me. Feels like nothing new.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

Just another game for alot of people to play alone togeather,

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Welcome to the internet. wow players are out in force for rift today get used to it or as you said find another game and save yourself the trouble. Check back at launch and you will see the community settle down a lot from what it is now.

Currently the game is not pay2troll so it is what it is.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

It's ok, I had people do much worse in the game to me. From leaving the guild we made to telling everyone we sucked in general because we didn't invite someone fast enough. I am usually a very calm person, but dealing with people is a pain in MMO. Oh I miss Everquest, maybe EQnext will bring some more adults together again.

• BurstingVeinsBurstingVeins Member UncommonPosts: 5

Ya, I tend to just kill all chat channels whenever I play an mmo. I'll have more fun figuring things out on my own, than dealing with the snarky little kids in chat. I can only deal with playing mmos alone, so Rift is actually really nice for that, at least to the level I reached I didn't noticed many required group quests.

My personal rule has become, don't ever talk in public chat and if you really want to help someone asking a question or just to talk, PM them.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

I agree with your post.  But I must point out, people on here can be just as ruthless and rude.

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Heh... I'm getting pretty close to cancelling my pre-orders too.

At first the game was very neat. I think I just played it too much :)

I'll probably just wait until the community is normal and the bugs are dished out. Although honestly, I don't think the community will ever settle down. Oh well...

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Didn't I and another say that we thought the Rift community was one of the worst we have ever encountered here on these forums?   Yes...we did.   What were we met with?   People telling us that we we haters and trolls.   I'll say it again, Rift's community is one of the worst I have ever encountered in any game and that includes WoW.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Teala

Didn't I and another say that we thought the Rift community was one of the worst we have ever encountered here on these forums?   Yes...we did.   What were we met with?   People telling us that we we haters and trolls.   I'll say it again, Rift's community is one of the worst I have ever encountered in any game and that includes WoW.

Yeah it's pretty bad.  I love the game though, so I don't think I will let some asshats run me off.  After all that is ignore and the ability to turn off chat channels.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Having played in all but the last beta.

Rift's community has been fantastic.  If they're a little tired of trolls and whiners and react harshly... I'll cut them some slack.

{ Mod Edited }

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

I noticed the same thing.  Best thing you can do is get into and/or start a guild with mature adults and simply ingore chat channels.  I've done this in both WoW and now Rift and have fared well.  Though MMO like VG seem to not have this issue, it's most likely because the community is much much smaller.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Making sure I understand you here. You went into an open beta event, free of charge, with about 2 million people who have no tie or incentive to be nice as thier characters will all be wiped in 3 days. There is no accountability for anyone at all. Then you started a conversation, in a game, about its problems? and expected the people who are playing it and liking it to not jump on you for your negativety towards what they love?

Now I could see if this was you bringin up negative issues about something like this in a forums, but you took it to thier house man. What did you expect really? You go into a bar in the other teams town and start talkin smack about thier team when the game is going on and you might get your ass kicked, I'm just saying.

Now, I dont know for sure this is what you did true, your OP sure does sound like it though. And if thats the case I got no simpathy for ya really. But, if thats not what ya did, then yeah the community needs to shape up, and I think it will after launch because then people will have some accountability. All I can say for sure is I sat through some stuff like this myself, and it was started by a couple smart mouths in global chat tryin to talk down the home team in the home town bar, and they got what they deserved.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• slprslpr Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by RoyalPhunk

Welcome to the internet. wow players are out in force for rift today get used to it or as you said find another game and save yourself the trouble. Check back at launch and you will see the community settle down a lot from what it is now.

Currently the game is not pay2troll so it is what it is.

I think the problem is more the rift fans. If you say something bad about the game in the chat, everyone attacks immediately. I really don't care, cause to me the game is boring as hell. I played 3 betas before the open beta, and played again today... i logged in, played for 10 minutes, watched the fans defending their game, logged out and went to play ME2. I really wanted to like this game, because i want to play an MMO till my main game comes out this year. But i'll have to pass on this one.

Btw, happy birthday to the OP! ;)

• To the OP, Happy Birthday. I know how you feel, I'm screaming up on 44 pretty quick myself.

One up side to this though, now we have two candles to draw the annoying little moths away from ou other games instead of just one. 

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

I'd wait for launch to see how you feel about the community. You've got to remember there are plenty of people playing right now who have no intention of paying for the game. I'm not saying it's certain to improve, but I have a good feeling it will.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

Guys, you must remain calm and understand something...

Up until now (being the Open Beta) people who were keen on RIFT could get an invite if they perservered, (or took the leap of faith in TRION and pre-ordered), so generally the people you would find in the game would be helpful and kind.

Now, that anyone who wants to, WORLDWIDE, to play the game, can (hence OPEN BETA). This has opened the floodgates to the WoW Trolls, who will only log in and play between now and the end of the event, before going back to WoW. These people, will be nasty and spiteful, for the exact reason stated above, to cause people to cancel pre-orders or quit the game. By them doing this and having people react, they are winning in their minds, even if said quitters dont start playing WoW, you have 10 million+ people going to try and ruin the game for others.

Once the BETA ends, and people who have pre-orderd can start the head start, ONLY the pre-orders will be playing, so there may be some Trolls left (rich kids, ect who buy every game (or even people who pre-ordered only to cancel just so they can get in for the headstart (pointless really). These people, generally, if they hate the game so much, will not subscribe to it, so they usually only last for the 1st month after release.

If you wont give it another go now, then the best I can suggest is try again on the 1st April, when the first month is up and people have to start paying for the game. I am positive the community will be better by then.

Hope you change yoru minds, its an awesome game, and just remember if someone is being abusive, report them and then ignore them and you wont have to speak to them ever again.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

It has less to do about Rift and more about the fact its a beta so you're really dredging the bottom of the MMORPG barrel in terms of players who have no vested interest.

But i'll tell you what, go into EVE and start broadcasting that you're having a tough time and dying in mission and you'll be met with the same derision.  In our society one does not go around publically announcing that they are failing at something, and more importantly, they'd better not infer that the problem is from a an external source when most ofther folks feel the issue clearly lies with the person him or her self.

I've been playing these games a long time, I can't think of one time I ever publically shouted in local that I was dying too much, at least not unless I made sure it was done in a joking manner, you know, to get everyone to laugh along with me as I laughed at myself.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by bastionix

It's ok, I had people do much worse in the game to me. From leaving the guild we made to telling everyone we sucked in general because we didn't invite someone fast enough. I am usually a very calm person, but dealing with people is a pain in MMO. Oh I miss Everquest, maybe EQnext will bring some more adults together again.

It's beta, does this matter?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Originally posted by Elikal

I am done with Rift. I really wanted to like the game, it looks great, Trion is putting great effort into it, but today is really the last nail in the coffin.

I know people say WOW has a bad community, and going into it's dungeon browser really shows you the scum of humanity. But this... no matter what little you ask or critizise, I haven't EVER seen such an amount of hate, harrasment, flaming and attack than in the Rift chat channels. Why is it so difficult to just discuss different opinions WITHOUT 30 people jumping at my throat? I just don't want to spent my limited lifetime in an environment with such amounts of hate and agression around me.

It just is the last straw on many issues. Boring "Kill 10 Goblin" quests all over, difficulty & respawn rates, recent rise of bugs and issues... but more than all this the community looks terrible to me. I was just saying my Ranger/Marksman was constantly dying in some places, and the sheer amount of mockery, hate and whatnot was just... depressing.

You know, I didnt want to say this, but I had my 40th birthday today, I feel it's like "ok I am officially not young anymore" and having more days behind me than ahead of me, I made one decision today: I WONT stay in places with mean and inpolite people. I am mortal, my time is limited and life is too precious to waste it in places with unfriendly people. So while in past years I was more willing to "fight over things", debate all over and taking all bad manners, I decided from today I will avoid such places.

yh we see this alot in games and whatnot, peeps seem to think beucase its via internet they dont need to remember the manners there mother taught em.

like someone else has said best thing is to just find a decent guild ( trick here is to too look for one that has same interests/values as u have) and join it and turn off public chat , otherwise u might miss out on good stuff which is kinda sad.

ive removed the game from my pc aswell tho, tho not cuase off the comminity but mostly becuase the game just didnt do it emought for me to be willing to pay for it. graphics were nice and story seemed interesting but the game play just didnt seem do it , so im eagerly awaiting GW2 meanwhile im back to playing ddo n gw

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Originally posted by Teala

its bad but I blame it on how they invited people into the beta.  they basically invited the entire internet to come play their game and the community reflects this. 

I was involved in the game since the first beta and saw it get progressively worse.  If anyone wanted a key, they could get one and at beta 5 they pretty much opened the flood gates making it almost impossible not to find a key for the game.  As I understand now for beta 7 you just needed a registered account.

so, with open arms they welcomed every jaded MMO tourist to flood their forums and chat channels with the bottom of the barrel dialogue you typically see on any MMO forum or chat channel.  Only now did they start to control this by limiting who could post on the forums and understandibly so.  Its a shame they couldnt block non pre-order testers from using their voice in the broadcast channels.

I have a feeling once the head start begins you'll see a change in the community.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

If you think the community for any of the upcoming mmo's will be any better once the masses decend into them your kidding yourself. Communties resemble societies general make-up much closer now, hence the noticeable increase in asshats.

Complaining about it won't help. Either you quit playing mmo's or find a guild of like minded people and play with them. I play with a bunch of adults across multiple games, some of us are hardcore-ish, men and women, some married and have kids, some suck at games but we all share a common goal to enjoy our time online hassle free. We joke and pay each other out and generally avoid global chat channels.

I've just pre-ordered Xsyon because a bunch of the guild was giving it a shot.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Elikal

It's too bad you are letting having thin skin ruin your experience. Less time chatting and more time playing is my suggestion! From one 36 year old to a 40 year old (happy b-day to you) : you are old/wise enough to deal with teens & preteens on the chat channels - either ignore them or toughen up and stand your ground!

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by jpnole

Yes, why wouldn't it?  People form guilds in beta and often carry them over and remake them in live with many of the same people. 

As far as the topic at hand, I have seen the Rift community get worse and worse as they let more people in.  It happens, when something is popular, obviously more and more people are playing it, so more and more dumbasses show up.  I began in beta 3 and it was a pretty damn helpful and constructive community then.  By beta 6 it was awful.  Whatever though, by launch many of these miscreants will be gone, going back to whatever hellhole of a game they came from.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I know asshats exist in other MMOs too. Just the last few days in those WOW dungeon finder groups... abysmal.

It's just that I reached a point where I say: no more. Not with drama or anger, but with the calm realization: I dont want to spent my time in such places. Period. Maybe I play more single player games again and at least until GW2 or TOR come I stop playing MMOs altogether.

I dunno why MMos became such a bad place to spent your leisure time in... But I know I won't stay in such places. If your servers are better, fine for you. But I wont make server or guild hopping in hope to find a better place. I just don't need to confront myself with such sort of people anymore.

I just know one thing: MMO community WERE better in the past, tell me what you want! I never had seen so many asshats in the days of old EQ2, SWG or whatever I played in the early years. It just went downhill the last years in terms of netiquette.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by jpnole

I never minded if people leave, but we had to deal with a lot of things. People left the guild and said things about us in general because we didn't invite someone. Then I log on the next day and I see that the people who made the guild, me and my friend, are called idiots in the guild message, and they kicked alts out.

So people did this because we were a rank 3 guild at the time and they wanted to make it their guild even though we started it and we were kind to everyone in guild.

Then we get messages from people why they were booted from the guild and we didn't do it, others in the guild did it, so we had to go through the guild logs to see who did it. Ok that was the drop in the bucket for us and we left.

This would never happed in EQ, people were ruthless in Rift.

I am convinced that many people who weren't very nice in WoW and were thrown out of that community now reside in Rift.

It is beta, you are right, but these people will be there for release too.