Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So apparently some VERY big things are going unchanged on Fippy...

13»

Comments

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

I found the harm touch and monk whining was funny almost a decade ago, and now here it is again. Why does there need to be balance with PvE?  It's not like you HAVE to have OP classes in your raid. I played a ranger, and getting raid invites were a rare event for me, because people hated that I could solo group content. Didn't stop me from playing for three years.  Get over your damn Epeen comparisons and have fun. Nothing's fair IRL, why does it have to be in an RPG?

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Daitengu

I found the harm touch and monk whining was funny almost a decade ago, and now here it is again. Why does there need to be balance with PvE?  It's not like you HAVE to have OP classes in your raid. I played a ranger, and getting raid invites were a rare event for me, because people hated that I could solo group content. Didn't stop me from playing for three years.  Get over your damn Epeen comparisons and have fun. Nothing's fair IRL, why does it have to be in an RPG?

Yeah because obviously these same issues existed over a decade ago... oh wait.

Seriously, if you don't have a clue what you're talking about, do us all a favor and just don't.

Originally posted by alacres

Seriously, if you don't have a clue what you're talking about, do us all a favor and just don't.

When did I say it was the exact same?  Harm touch sucked terribly when I played and no one wanted an SK to tank much less DPS. Monks were still OP, though for other reasons. Less reading inbetween the lines and more reading literally please.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

One of the most damning, that I'm currently aware of, is the monk damage tables being left as they are with current EQ , meaning that monks will have a "bare fist/weaponless"  attack/speed of 26/20 at around 50. On classic and up, through quite a few expansions, this will put them at a staggering advantage over all other melee dps, even those with top raid weapons.

If that's not enough of a slap in the face, the shadow knight ability "harm touch" (or death touch, I can't remember the name exactly) is also being left as it is on current, which means that a big enough group of SKs, along with the overpowered DPS of monks, will pretty much trivialize all of the classic content.

Here's the source of this information - http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?start=285&topic_id=173099 (around pages 20-21)

I don't know about you guys, but this a huge deal breaker to me. It seems like they are already decided to keep things as they are, and if that's the case, I see absolutely no point in playing this server. Raiding will be a complete and utter joke if something isn't done to correct this imbalance.

I guess all I can do is wait and hope.

I don't see the issue here, unless Fippy was a PvP server which it isn't.

If your coming back to the progression server your coming back to experience the game from the first game onwards, nearly everything that has been added to the game over the years has been turned back, except the above mentioned and items on corpses (Yay).

So the dps is still high on the monk and SK, however isn't HT also affected so that all subsequent HT's after the initial use will have diminished returns, thus actually nerfing it from what it used to be? I see the only ppl who will be concerned are those coming from exisiting accounts on the live servers who want to roll over the content ASAP so they can get a server first.

I don't give a rats hide if your Monk or SK hits harder, I'l be playing a Cleric who can't hit for toffee, but I'm coming back because I want to play the orginal EQ with like minded ppl who want to have fun grping in places like Unrest or Befallen before Mercs came along where everyone went off and solo'd there way to max.

When did I say it was the exact same?  Harm touch sucked terribly when I played and no one wanted an SK to tank much less DPS. Monks were still OP, though for other reasons. Less reading inbetween the lines and more reading literally please.

Well then, what relevance does your point have in this thread exactly? Comparing the monk or SK class at any other point in their existence, to this impending situation on Fippy isn't even feasible. This isn't some tiny little imbalance that means nothing in the scheme of things for the server. If that were the case, I wouldn't have made a thread about it and their wouldn't be so much complaining going on, on the official forums either. 

Call it whining or whatever, but It's a big deal in the eyes of many of us and something needs to be done about it, at least before guilds start taking on raid content.

Well then, what relevance does your point have in this thread exactly? Comparing the monk or SK class at any other point in their existence, to this impending situation on Fippy isn't even feasible. This isn't some tiny little imbalance that means nothing in the scheme of things for the server. If that were the case, I wouldn't have made a thread about it and their wouldn't be so much complaining going on, on the official forums either. 

Call it whining or whatever, but It's a big deal in the eyes of many of us and something needs to be done about it, at least before guilds start taking on raid content.

The relevence is that I'm still laughing at your,"Wah, he's stronger than me, nerf him!" just like I was at others in the past. As I truely pity that you somehow think that other people can destroy your gaming experience unless everyone has the exact same in PvE. Every expansion, I feel great, then, nerf, nerf, nerf, nerf, then a raise.. no it was a trap cause they took an ability away. It's people like you that got classes nerfed in the first place, instead of raising the other classes up to them. Instead of everyone feeling great, you help get everyone to feel like crap. Thus one of the reasons I ended up quiting EQ, then planetside, then CoH, then WoW, then Aion. Too much nerf bat from whiners.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

The relevence is that I'm still laughing at your,"Wah, he's stronger than me, nerf him!" just like I was at others in the past. As I truely pity that you somehow think that other people can destroy your gaming experience unless everyone has the exact same in PvE. Every expansion, I feel great, then, nerf, nerf, nerf, nerf, then a raise.. no it was a trap cause they took an ability away. It's people like you that got classes nerfed in the first place, instead of raising the other classes up to them. Instead of everyone feeling great, you help get everyone to feel like crap. Thus one of the reasons I ended up quiting EQ, then planetside, then CoH, then WoW, then Aion. Too much nerf bat from whiners.

You're one to talk. Doesn't the fact that you've left a ton of games that you enjoyed just because of the "nerf bat" say a lot about you? Would the phrase "Wah, I'm stronger than them, don't nerf me!" be appropriate to describe you?

You seem to think that it is always worse to nerf an overpowered class when you could raise the other classes up instead. I don't agree with that and neither do most people, but it's beside the point. Let's assume that you're right. In the past, as expansions have added better and better weapons and increased the HP pools of bosses and normal mobs, Monks and SKs got worse (because fist damage and harm touch damage don't increase as you get new gear). What was the solution? They did exactly what you advocate. Instead of toning down the new equipment or removing class abiliites from all the other classes, they improved those two classes to match the others. Get it? Their solution was the same solution that you would have come up with, and it was a good one.

Now, we're talking about a TLP server where we're back to 1999 standards. The high-level items from expansions are gone, the AA points are gone, but the increased fist damage and HT damage aren't gone. It's not that we want a nerf, it's that we want the boost rolled back because everyone else is back to vanilla capabilities. It's as though they allowed fully-geared transfers to the TLP server; it would completely defeat the purpose if people can go through the pre-Kunark content armed with the same firepower that they'd have on live servers.

• jimmydatwinjimmydatwin Member UncommonPosts: 68

Would it not make sense/be easy to just code in a debuff for monks on the TLP server.  I am no programmer but to program a line that occurs on log in something to the extent of "if class = monk then apply X debuff to attack speed" and if it's global maybe add a line "if server = Fippy Darkpaw" should be fairly easy to implement.  As I said I am no programmer, but if it is that big of deal then I'm sure the guys at SoE could figure it out.

Either way I have only played EQ for a month total about 2 months ago and cancelled my sub until I could give the TLP a chance.  Was just too far behind on live to enjoy any socialization in low levels and want to experience the old content.  Looking forward to my free week and seeing how it goes. 

Also if you don't want content to be too easy for YOU then don't group with monks or SK's, However in the case of SK's I don't think that the once an hour ability really matters.  Just tell the SK's in your raid not to use it on bosses if you want to ramp up the difficulty.  The game is what YOU make it.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

There is one point you miss here (besides its probably going to get fixed).

Everquest is not as much of a contest. You work together for adventure, so even if monks are overpowered for awhile, you will still need other classes for groups and raids.

Everquest is not based on solo play so balancing is of lesser importance than other games.

Besides, Everquest never was a very balanced game, and you could argue how much good the constant balancing actually does.

Wow, you are truly an obliviously dense fellow, aren't you? If you'd actually taken the time to read my original post, and many after it, you'd see that those aren't my reasons for wanting these issues resolved at all. Like I've said several times already, with issues like this left on the server, monks will be the primarily taken classes for groups when given an option between them, and the other melee dps, for the dps slot(s). This is going to cause a lot of grief for many people looking to group when they're playing a class like a rogue for example, because obviously, if a group is given a choice on which dps to take, they're more than likely going to choose the class with the 66% higher dps rate.

As for the HT issue, it amazes me that I even have to explain what's wrong with this. With the insane damage that HT will do, it will be exploited to hell and back during raid boss fights, and where's the fun in that? This has nothing to do with me giving a s**t about a class being more powerful than another, this has everything to do with an imbalance that isn't even on the charts. 

But yeah, I don't even know why I'm wasting my time explaining this to someone who won't be able to comprehend it. If you are seriously dense enough to think this is just some typical "nerf nerf nerf" type of thread, versus what it actually is, then there's no hope in rationalizing anything in a way that you'd be able to understand.

TLDR - "derp derp herp a derp *blows rasberry*"

Originally posted by Disdena

You're one to talk. Doesn't the fact that you've left a ton of games that you enjoyed just because of the "nerf bat" say a lot about you? Would the phrase "Wah, I'm stronger than them, don't nerf me!" be appropriate to describe you?

You seem to think that it is always worse to nerf an overpowered class when you could raise the other classes up instead. I don't agree with that and neither do most people, but it's beside the point. Let's assume that you're right. In the past, as expansions have added better and better weapons and increased the HP pools of bosses and normal mobs, Monks and SKs got worse (because fist damage and harm touch damage don't increase as you get new gear). What was the solution? They did exactly what you advocate. Instead of toning down the new equipment or removing class abiliites from all the other classes, they improved those two classes to match the others. Get it? Their solution was the same solution that you would have come up with, and it was a good one.

Now, we're talking about a TLP server where we're back to 1999 standards. The high-level items from expansions are gone, the AA points are gone, but the increased fist damage and HT damage aren't gone. It's not that we want a nerf, it's that we want the boost rolled back because everyone else is back to vanilla capabilities. It's as though they allowed fully-geared transfers to the TLP server; it would completely defeat the purpose if people can go through the pre-Kunark content armed with the same firepower that they'd have on live servers.

Thank you - way more eloquently put than I could have said it.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

First of all, Fippy is *not* a classic server.  SOE did not say it is, nobody is claiming it's a 100% '99 classic.  In fact the server selection screen right now shows Fippy as a player voted, timelocked progression server.  They've tweaked the server to improve it from the previous progression servers, and they've done a lot of work on it.  It will allow majority of us to go back and re-experience EQ.   Along with hundreds if not thousands of others, it'll be just like the good 'ol days. 

Now with regards to the stuff talked about, monks won't be as bad as people think they are.  It's been discussed over and over on the official forums.  It sort of is an overreaction when it went verbal.  SK is only bad once an hour with their HT.  While yes raid guilds may utilize this to take a raid boss down quicker, if you actually think classic raid bosses possess a challenge to the hardcore raid guilds that'll be present on Fippy you're mistaken.  With or without the SK HT's, raid bosses will drop like flies because people already know how to kill them with their eyes closed.  If you aren't in a hardcore raid guild, don't expect to see any of those raid bosses until Kunark/Velious opens.

And when it comes to group content, SK's are like any other tanks.  In fact early content paladins will be the preferred group tanks due to their stuns & good agro holding abilities.

The elephant in the room is mage/necro pets.  The thing that surprises me is that necros were overpowered in classic, they were op'ed before any upgrades were made to mage pets.  But yet nobody cared about it until now all of a sudden people realized mage pets are going to be pretty powerful.  Good news about this is that Ngreth actually said they have found a quick & dirty way to possibly tweak the pets down.  It won't be there at launch because there won't be time ot test it, but it may be put in after launch.

Anyways, really folks, it'll still be fun and once that warm & fuzzy feeling starts, and you start having fun playing with other people, you'll forget about all these mumbo jumbo.  That's my prediction anyway, see you guys Tuesday on Fippy.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Originally posted by jimmydatwin

Would it not make sense/be easy to just code in a debuff for monks on the TLP server.  I am no programmer but to program a line that occurs on log in something to the extent of "if class = monk then apply X debuff to attack speed" and if it's global maybe add a line "if server = Fippy Darkpaw" should be fairly easy to implement.  As I said I am no programmer, but if it is that big of deal then I'm sure the guys at SoE could figure it out.

Either way I have only played EQ for a month total about 2 months ago and cancelled my sub until I could give the TLP a chance.  Was just too far behind on live to enjoy any socialization in low levels and want to experience the old content.  Looking forward to my free week and seeing how it goes. 

Also if you don't want content to be too easy for YOU then don't group with monks or SK's, However in the case of SK's I don't think that the once an hour ability really matters.  Just tell the SK's in your raid not to use it on bosses if you want to ramp up the difficulty.  The game is what YOU make it.

I've seen someone suggesting something like this on the official boards but I'm not sure if the devs ever responded to it. So far, that seems like one of the best potential solutions, but it's hard to tell how much testing it would require. I'm afraid there really isn't a simple quick fix for some of this, but even if it takes some time, better late than never.

I can agree with that personally, and I would definitely make sure to invite anyone that needed a spot in a group, regardless of the class they played. As for raiding, I don't plan to lead any but I also wouldn't take part in any that were planning to exploit HT in it. 

I'm sure there will be others like myself that will try and restrict these things, but regardless, there's going to be many others who won't play by the same rules, especially since there's no penalty for not doing so. That's the reason I really wish something could be done about this. These exploits shouldn't even be possible, let alone completely acceptable due to unchanged mechanics.

Originally posted by DisdenaIt's not that we want a nerf, it's that we want the boost rolled back because everyone else is back to vanilla capabilities. It's as though they allowed fully-geared transfers to the TLP server; it would completely defeat the purpose if people can go through the pre-Kunark content armed with the same firepower that they'd have on live servers.

Just a quick comment, that's not accurate when you say everyone else is back to vanilla capabilities.  No class in EQ is back to 1999 capabilities on Fippy.  When it comes to dps and the damage people do, a lot factors into it, and it's more than simply the weapon ratios.

I don't disagree with you that anything op'ed should get tweaked.  But as-is, no class is being tweaked back to vanilla EQ.  All casters utilize the new updated spell set, this includes healers for better heals.  All melees have access to weapon augmentations to catch them up to caster standards.  And while monks want their good fist ratios, other melee classes will be able to utilize weapons that actually have decent procs.  Monks won't have access to those procs because they want to stick to their fist ratios.

So all in all, everybody's got a fairly good boost from vanilla.  They never claimed Fippy is a "classic" server.  What they did say is Fippy is an improved progression server, much improved from the previous prog servers.  They did take out a lot of things according to player requests, they did try to make it feel more progression like so we all start in classic content.  But nobody is saying they are reverting classes back to 1999 or vanilla standards.  And if you think that's a bad thing, just think back in the early days about how casters ruled the world.  Balance in vanilla was way out of whack.

You'll be fine, I promise image  As for SK's, you guys know how bad SK's are in raids.  Their dps suck and they can't tank boss mobs, warriors still got the tank job on raids.  If their glory is a once an hour HT, then heck, I feel bad for them, let them have their glory rofl.  Yes I'm kidding but if you do think of it that way, you might not think they're as bad as the vocal forum posters are making them out to be.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by Mardy

You were never able to catch the boats, you were only able to hop on the boats when they dock.

Odd my bard on bb has caught it in the past .An that was when he was 51 working on his 1.0 epic.Ranger with speed of the eagle did to. They used to be slow enuff if you could lev an cach up youd get back onto the deck .

Heck i can rember helping a shammey friend of mine work his 1.0 back before pop came out an we took the boats to get from place to place an he missed the boat . He ran with lev an the shammie sow thats faster but less duration argh cant think of the name... scale of the cheetah? an caught up to it.Since their return they have goten faster an i dare say since last few patchs they have turbo charged gnome powered  engines.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

The boats are sped up for sure, but I don't remember catching up to a boat before.  But I have to admit I didn't have a bard back in the days, it was my druid & his trusty sow + levi.  So maybe sow wasn't capable of catching the boats  image

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by cheyane

Freeblood is part of the expansion Destiny Of Velious. When the expansion launches and you pay for the expansion you get it. Hell even in the original Everquest if you did not buy Kunark you never got to play the Iksar .

yeah you only can get the freeblood race for free if you were subscribed on decembers 17, january 18 and february, you need to be subscribed for these months to get the race otherwise you have to buy it on station cash. you could buy the vampire race on station cash since december.

By the way, on the official EQ forum, people have ran parser tests and after lots of arguments, it's been concluded that monk fists are not as powerful as people initially thought.  So this was simply a knee jerk reaction.  Casters with their pets will outdps a monk any day of the week.

So scratch that off the board  image