Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is a breath of fresh air.

I purchased it last night and have really enjoyed it thus far. I just finished newbie island and will be playing again tonight after work. I've only played sword/magic type MMOs in the past, which could be the reason this feels so new to me.

This game brings something I've never done (sci-fi) and puts it with one of the things I like most (skill specialization). The aiming system in this is fun: interactive, but not overly-hectic. I've kept myself pretty interested from fight to fight, which rarely doesn't happen ofter, but again, it's something new to me.

I'm excited to be in the open world PvP against some pretty customizable player characters. I love the concept of being full loot, but being able to purchase insurance on the items you would specifically care not to drop. Although the sub-genre is a bit different, this is all starting to feel SLIGHTLY reminiscant of the Darktide server in Asheron's Call. The insurance concept being the possession of death items, of course.

The are two things that trouble me so far. The first being something that can change, but if it doesn't I will still play, and the second being something that is set to change eventually, which I can wait for.

The first thing that leaves a little distaste in my mouth is the loot from mobs. So far, it seems few and far between, and on top of that it's usually 1 or 2 items. I do prefer the traditional corpse-style loot. I can adapt to this if it comes to it, though.

The second thing is the obvious flaw with the game. Frames per second. Luckily, even though I can run this game just as well as I could run Asheron's Call back in 1999 with a 56k dial-up modem. I can play it and have plenty of fun, but there are moments in time which I know how much faster this could be, and it eats at me. I don't see it eating away my interest in this game, or the amount that I will play it. I am sure this will change, and I don't need any instant gratification.

Overall, I think I've found my new favorite game.

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

This game to me was like breathing in toxic fumes.  I probably was breathing toxic fumes while playing the beta because the game was burning up my core2duo.  I respect your opinion, glad you enjoy the game, even though I do not understand how.  Good luck.

• TheHolyPopeTheHolyPope Member Posts: 45

Thank you.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I couldn't get it to run fast enough on my system to warrant testing it to much. Very interesting concept and I actually rather did like the game as a whole. Just far to buggy and laggy as hell.  I'll try it again later :)

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

If you haven't already, turn off shadows in options. I'm with you here, I'm having a good time playing ER. It's bringing back the good times spent in past sci fi MMORPGS, SWG + TR + EVE = ER. Sure there's alot of disgruntled gamers, alot of bashers and haters that just want to see ER sink but it's to be expected at any MMO launch.

Nice to see someone being positive about this title.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

I really hope that it gets better, for those who are completely unable to play, soon. Like I said earlier, I feel lucky to be playing it in the state I currently am playing it in. I took a gamble with the $50 and feel I have come out ahead, even if I do have to play with a little choppines. I really hope when you get around to give this game another try it works out for you. I could see this being a game with a really decent sized community once they get it to function properly. 

Originally posted by Agricola1

If you haven't already, turn off shadows in options. I'm with you here, I'm having a good time playing ER. It's bringing back the good times spent in past sci fi MMORPGS, SWG + TR + EVE = ER. Sure there's alot of disgruntled gamers, alot of bashers and haters that just want to see ER sink but it's to be expected at any MMO launch.

Considering this game has the basic shell of what I was taught is an MMO, it would be impossible for me to not be positive! I am one who can get past FPS, though. I would play Asheron's Call all day way back when, even through disconnection, terrible lag, slow FPS, and waiting for my computer to call the internet. I guess I guess I just became hardened to these things and never softened up and let this stuff bother me too much.

I'm glad you enjoy it too!

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

We do not want to see it fail. What we expected was a working game that isn't void of features. Even the features that have been standard in every type of mmo in the past 10 years. No I am not talking about AAA mmos I am talking about sandboxes of the last 10 years.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Arquiteto

We do not want to see it fail. What we expected was a working game that isn't void of features. Even the features that have been standard in every type of mmo in the past 10 years. No I am not talking about AAA mmos I am talking about sandboxes of the last 10 years.

It has all the basic features. You just can't see them because of the lag.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Originally posted by lizardbones

This made me laugh pretty hard.

I also hope to god its sarcasm :)

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

You clearly haven't played many if any indy sandbox MMO's in the last 10 years then. Darkfall / Mortal Online in particular.

ER reminds me of SWG pre-cu + Tabula Rasa. And anything that reminds me of SWG pre-cu is good in my book.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

Missing features which are usually in a 'sandbox' but are not in ER (at the moment) :

Mounts / vehicles

Territory control

Player built structures (either personal housing or cities ala Territory control)

Gathering of resources (currently only killing mobs can give crafting mats)

Meaningful rewards for commiting to one faction vs another (right now it is meaningless, and not too hard to flip between Conti & Noir)

'Raid' content, stuff that takes a significant amount of people to take down.

Hopefully it'll all get in game eventually, but right now these *basic* sandbox features are not there. You can either pve, or engage in pretty much pointless pvp. Some people seem to have a smooth(ish) experience, for others myself included the game is just barely playable. Apparently the devs are aware of the causes and working on fixes.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by lizardbones

This made me laugh pretty hard.

I also hope to god its sarcasm :)

fraid not lol he speaks the truth

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Even little features like a friends list, an /ignore feature, are not in the game.  No way to edit chat at all.  You are stuck with the red chat and inability to ignore the 12 year olds.  You can't even change the key bindings unless you fiddle with the .lua files.  No inverted mouse.  To top it off it runs like utter crap on many people's computers AND it's missing all those features you just listed.

I don't want to see the game fail in the least, I am just dissappointed in the current state of the game, and dissappointed that I cannot play it on my computer due to fps issues (a computer which plays every single MMO I currently own on medium/high settings).  I hope they fix the game, would love to play it.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I think we need to take a few deep breaths and observe how quickly things improve over the next 2 or 3 months.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• potapithikospotapithikos Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by marcust

I think we need to take a few deep breaths and observe how quickly things improve over the next 2 or 3 months.

Yeah the "Miracle Patches TM" are just round the corner. Let us all hold our breath!

We've never seen that scenario before.... nope.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I'm with you here, I'm having a good time playing ER. It's bringing back the good times spent in past sci fi MMORPGS, SWG + TR + EVE = ER.

I think you made an error in your equasion, it should be:

(SWG+TR+EVE) - (ALL THE ORGINAL AND INTERESTING CONTENT) + (ALL POSSIBLE MISTAKES A MMO DEVELOPER CAN MADE WHILE LAUNCHING ITS FIRST GAME) = ER

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I really doubt that they are miracle patches.  They will improve the game, sure, not make it problem free. That's good enough for me and my money. I've been having a blast.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

The features of this game are indeed a breath of fresh air. The technical issues however can be likened to the rank taint during a 1200 mile cross country car trip, with a fat guy with questionable hygiene, who also refuses to eat anything other than Taco Bell burritos.

While I would love to see this game succeed, I am just not willing to shovel cash into yet another unready for release indy game. I'm tired of seeing indy companies turn what could have been brilliant non-mainstream games into nothing better than a tax on hope.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• cyriuncyriun Member Posts: 1

I would love to recommend this games to my friends, but not until the frame rate, lag, and stability issues are taken care of.  I think it will end up being a pretty good game. HOPEFULLY before its too late!

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Worstluck

This game to me was like breathing in toxic fumes.  I probably was breathing toxic fumes while playing the beta because the game was burning up my core2duo.  I respect your opinion, glad you enjoy the game, even though I do not understand how.  Good luck.

Exactly this on all points. Except would have said 'noxious'. Still there is a slight wiff of 'charm'.

I was a big AC fan (Darktide too of course) along with DAOC an all time fave.

My biggest issue is not the technical stuff that can all be fixed. It's the gameplay, sure I like the open world sure I like that it's skill based (though the fact every skill is keyed of grinding mobs is naff).  But everything is just so poorly realised from controling your character (like being drunk in charge of  an oil tanker) to crafting (grind mobs) to raising skills (grind mobs) to ...well curently there is nothing else. That's the problem for me, it's like a proof of concept demo you's show a potential backer, not a game.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by D_TOX

You clearly haven't played many if any indy sandbox MMO's in the last 10 years then. Darkfall / Mortal Online in particular.

ER reminds me of SWG pre-cu + Tabula Rasa. And anything that reminds me of SWG pre-cu is good in my book.

I wonder why this is? Seems like indies can build solid engines and back end systems fill there worlds with 'systems'. Then they go and spoil it all by putting level caps and quests and gold question marks everywhere. They have to have 'do not walk on the grass signs'. My hunch is indies think of 'sanboxes' as the easy option. No need to write loads of plot and dialogue and have NPC's with quest lines....but for a sandbox you need more systems, you need rich deep intricate systems and subsytems because that is your game

TR was just so much more that ER (though sadly not as much as it's budget). At least shooting stuff was it's own reward I really found it a chore in ER. Oh and as an aside, the invasions where better than Rifts imho too.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Originally posted by Gorilla

Originally posted by D_TOX

I wonder why this is? Seems like indies can build solid engines and back end systems fill there worlds with 'systems'. Then they go and spoil it all by putting level caps and quests and gold question marks everywhere. They have to have 'do not walk on the grass signs'. My hunch is indies think of 'sanboxes' as the easy option. No need to write loads of plot and dialogue and have NPC's with quest lines....but for a sandbox you need more systems, you need rich deep intricate systems and subsytems because that is your game

TR was just so much more that ER (though sadly not as much as it's budget). At least shooting stuff was it's own reward I really found it a chore in ER. Oh and as an aside, the invasions where better than Rifts imho too.

Tabula Rasa had it charm and was 10 times better then ER at launch in terms of game content and bugginess, client and server performence. It was great even in late beta - when it SHOULD be. Despite that me and my friend decided no to buy because frankly the game didn't offer enough interesting game content to justify for us the sub. ER has a long way to go and I can say it will end up the same way as DF and MO, forgotten by most players because of the failed launch and it state.

A theme park game like Tabula Rasa which was basically resurrect in the middle of the development by Richard Garriot had more sandbox content then ER right now.

• p00fingerp00finger Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Ruinal

Missing features which are usually in a 'sandbox' but are not in ER (at the moment) :

Mounts / vehicles

Territory control

Player built structures (either personal housing or cities ala Territory control)

Gathering of resources (currently only killing mobs can give crafting mats)

Meaningful rewards for commiting to one faction vs another (right now it is meaningless, and not too hard to flip between Conti & Noir)

'Raid' content, stuff that takes a significant amount of people to take down.

Hopefully it'll all get in game eventually, but right now these *basic* sandbox features are not there. You can either pve, or engage in pretty much pointless pvp. Some people seem to have a smooth(ish) experience, for others myself included the game is just barely playable. Apparently the devs are aware of the causes and working on fixes.

I'm not sure what you are comparing this game too, but this has not been my experience at all.  I started off with Anarchy Online six months after release, and I had none of this.  SWG, upon release, had player built structures and resource gathering, but that was about it.  Both of those games had a rudimentary quest system as game "content".  These coupled with hunting mobs were the only means for XPs to enhance your character.  Aside from that, content was (for a long time) player driven, inter faction pvp and politics.  And I am referring to both of the aforementioned games.

No mounts.  No land control.  No vehicles.  Extremely little crafting.

Now, I am going to wait six months to buy ER simply because it take that long for the community to grow and the economy to develop...in a true sandbox.  Also it will take that long for a lot of these bugs to get worked out.  That and I am an old fart and don't have the patience anymore.  :)  Still, I am looking forward to what ER might become.  I won't fault anyone for not being interested in this game.  What is expected has changed so much since a real sandbox has last came out.

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

Playing Earthrise makes one want to breathe in sulfur.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by parrotpholk

This whole attitude of "want to see it fail" is tiresome at this point.  No one wants to see it fail.  What everyone wants is a proper game that works as it should.  ER is a miserable mess right now and hopefully they get it fixed.  Until that time there will not be much positive about it. 

Yes, I want to see it fail miserably actually. And I have my reasons why after working and discussing with Masthead for some time.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file