Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: First Impressions

Comments

• madcoilmadcoil Member UncommonPosts: 8

I understand Indie games have a smaller work force and a smaller budget, but they also produce a product for consumers.  All mmos have technical issues at launch, but Earthrise was in a unique category.  I have never played a game so buggy days before a launch.  In a flooded mmo market, I for one am getting sick of paying my hard earned money on an unfinished product.  I, unfortunately have a tendency to think "well maybe this time it will be different".  Luckily I did not fall for that with ER.  I don't buy games for future potential, I buy them to play immediately.  This whole argument that they have to meet a date deadline for release because they can't financially support a delay is like buying a house that is way to expensive for you so you get an adjustable rate to get the payment where you need it.  If you can't support your product don't make it to begin with.  ER will most likely fix its problems to a certain extent and may eventually be a good game, but why does the mmo market think a 6 month window for improvement is acceptable.  If we as consumers continue to pay for unfinished products then shame on us, but if a developer really takes pride in their work they would never release a game in the state ER was in.  The first impressions given by the writer on this site are their own opinions and I respect their thoughts, but I do feel the fact that they did not touch on all the issues in game as part of their negative feedback was unprofessional.  To ignore blatant issues with a game and not bring them up knowing that some will take their post to heart and buy the game because of their first impressions makes me feel scammed.

In conclusion, buy Earthrise at your own risk.  If you are one who is willing to grow with the game as it goes threw major growing pains then go for it.  For those of you expecting a professionally made product for your money, move on.  Again this is my humble opinion.  Whatever you do GL HF!

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

Open world FFA PVP just does not work. Only game that succeeded was Lineage II because the penalties for PKing were so stiff that it was more of a deterence to not pk. Aion as well but Aion had a form of optional pvp.   PVPcentric games will never see the player base of other MMOs that cater to everyone.   Earthrise will go f2p easily before a year unless they make some drastic changes. UO was always known for it's hardcore pvp element of die and lose everything but even they realized they need a PVE world as well.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by nmalthus

Open world FFA PVP just does not work. Only game that succeeded was Lineage II because the penalties for PKing were so stiff that it was more of a deterence to not pk. Aion as well but Aion had a form of optional pvp.   PVPcentric games will never see the player base of other MMOs that cater to everyone.   Earthrise will go f2p easily before a year unless they make some drastic changes. UO was always known for it's hardcore pvp element of die and lose everything but even they realized they need a PVE world as well.

Apart from in eve online, pre-cu swg and uo there are also a few others too i think.  Each of which has or had(before they turned them into more generic versions fo) subs that the wow clones can only dream of.

And wasn't the move towards non-pvp in uo one of the reasons for its downfall?

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

After I played this a while, I gotta admit, this game is kinda fail in some point.

In my newbie experience so far:

1.) Tutorial is too shallow

2.) Animation in this game really killing my eyes!  (I o_O when I jump my character!  It was the most awful animation I ever seen)

3.) Performance is bad now.  Chat lag, Gameplay lag while shooting, just .. lag

4.) SLOW !!! ..... tooo slow !!!!

I don't know man if the animation is so damn crap, is so hard to make people excited in battles!  The worst thing is if they need to re-do the graphic and anmiation, I bet is not gonna be fix within these few months or even a year.  That means I gotta stick with these crappy animation for long time!

=(

I'm disappointed.

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

The review is very good, SPOT ON. Very good job.

To everyone who is bashing and criticizing the game – I am sure you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t care about Earthrise and what stands behind it. Give the dev team and the game some air to breath and finish what they have started. If you don’t like it now, come back later this year even next year.

To everyone who thinks whether or not to buy Earthrise – if you expect a polished game with no no issues, don’t buy it now, go away and come back in 6 months. If you are looking for fun and want to be ahead of the competition in the future, now is the time to enter.

• GismolandGismoland Member UncommonPosts: 79

2 Words - Tabula Rasa!

Nice to see a Come Back..

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

Oh and for those comparing Earthrise to Tabula Rasa. I played both games from day one.

Tabula Rasa - broken quests, no market, PvP sucks

Earthrse - all quests work so far, has market, PvP is good

Originally posted by Karahandras

Apart from in eve online, pre-cu swg and uo there are also a few others too i think.  Each of which has or had(before they turned them into more generic versions fo) subs that the wow clones can only dream of.

And wasn't the move towards non-pvp in uo one of the reasons for its downfall?

SWG had optional pvp though as a choice. I haven't played UO in years, since like the 2nd or 3rd expansion but last I heard UO still has a decent player base because it's style still caters to a lot of people. I think UO's popularity took a hit when UO2 was scrapped for a UO expansion then srapped again for another expansion and graphics overhaul instead of joining the 3D MMO world...but so many years later it's still chugging along with yet another expansion.

Archlord & RF Online are just 2 examples of p2p to f2p.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by vktra79
    Oh and for those comparing Earthrise to Tabula Rasa. I played both games from day one.

Tabula Rasa - broken quests, no market, PvP sucks
    Earthrse - all quests work so far, has market, PvP is good

I think the above poster was referring to how he thinks the game is going to end up ultimately rather than how they play.
  • biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168

so beside all what people said, i just loled when i found this:

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• cowboyhugbeecowboyhugbee Member Posts: 28

Is there crafting/non-combat gameplay?  What's it like?

MAIN: LOTRO (Chedriin Azariah, Landroval), STO (Jay Andover)

SIDE: FFXIV, RoM, Wakfu

• LumanilLumanil Member Posts: 110

99% of all forced pvp games die an agonizing death or become free to play.

Ok, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Perpetuum and Eve are the 1% ???

Originally posted by Lumanil

99% of all forced pvp games die an agonizing death or become free to play.

Ok, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Perpetuum and Eve are the 1% ???

EVE yes, however Darkfall, MO & Perpetuum haven't been out long enough but in due time.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by biogerm

That is pretty eerie lol.

Nice find.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Originally posted by popinjay

Nice find.

Lol, awesome dude.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

They need Bill Roper to come onboard to sort the game out.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

well based on what i've seen it's better than flyff and they got a helluva lot of subs...

so this game should be fine.

SAND BOX = hard to create good content at launch...examples?   SWG, etc....  the games can evolve MUCH better than games that spoon feed lol.  ya that was an awesome comment.

I can't say for sure if i'll try it right now, but in time i will.

SAND BOX....do you guys realize how much value sits in that little descriptor?   SAND BOX.

how many are even left today?

we need MORE of them.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Game performance, at least for me, is most important and you can take the grafic stuff/anim. stuff as one goes.  I come here to learn if a game is up to par and filter through the lovers/haters. If the lag is as many sa;y then, it should be mentioned in this...impression. Buffing up a game for whatever reason only produces pissed-off haters. Think I'll keep researching this one before I drop cash on it. The truth will prevail.

• akonzyakonzy Member Posts: 4

Looks awesome :D

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Is it just me or did this game not beta test nearly enough?  I mean, you see some games out there and they beta test for the better part of a year sometimes, trying to ferret out all the problems.  To me, it seemed like "Ok Beta....aaaaaaand...RELEASE!"

I really do want to try this game, but the damn price point is way too high for an unpolished game.  I can't say whether the staff here get the game for free or not and wouldn't want to make that assumption, but I've been burned too many times.  I still have the Warhammer CE editiion looking at me to remind me not to waste my money (amongst others whom I shall not name to avoid shame.)

I really would like to support indy developers more, as that's where the next big thing will come from, but I refuse to waste my money when the product is simply not finished.  Haven't these guys learned the lesson of previous games that release incomplete?

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

My first impressions?... shit.

Boring, un-inspiring, slow.. then there is lag, bugs and other performance issues.  There isnt really much of anything I can say good about Earthrise, except that I was successfully able to remove it from my system with only the mildest verbral restraint.

As with Perpetuum Online any "indie" game just takes forever to improve.  If it survives a year I'll give it a second impression change then.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by sadeyx

My first impressions?... shit.

Boring, un-inspiring, slow.. then there is lag, bugs and other performance issues.  There isnt really much of anything I can say good about Earthrise, except that I was successfully able to remove it from my system with only the mildest verbral restraint.

As with Perpetuum Online any "indie" game just takes forever to improve.  If it survives a year I'll give it a second impression change then.

Yes that is a sound approach to these indy developed games. Their concept is good but the execution is often terrible, so waiting one year should be mandatory before buying these games.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Stradden

Ok guys,

I'm going to step in here.

First, Suzie (Sbford) was speaking for herself and not for the overall policies of the site regarding first impressions. The editorial staff (me) doesn't give writers any kind of mandate to be "nice" in their reviews / previews / first impressions.

Second, this wasn't a review. this was a general first impressions article detailing the writer's early experiences with the game. I will say it again: This is not a review and should not be read or referred to as such.

Agree with it or disagree with it, these are the bare bones of the author's early experiences with the game.

I'm sorry Stradden, but with all due respect, you can't really expect people here to take this as just a "random individual's first impression" when at the end of his article, he's advising us to "give it a try." That makes it seem way more like a review than just a mere first impression post.

I'm also with many of the others that are upset about you guys leaving out important details regarding performance issues and the like. I have friends who went out on a limb and purchased this game, only to find out that it does, in fact, run like crap. It's even borderline unplayable for them, even with decent rigs.

{Mod edit}

• XeevisXeevis Member UncommonPosts: 9

From person 15 years in gaming industry including many MMOs from betatest to longterm play i can just say > I'm sickened from what i saw in Earthrise, I am normaly very liberal to what one can see in recently launched games occasional bugs, lags yes, but this is genuinely worst spent 50 EURs in my entire life. This game has NOTHING to offer and even that NOTHING is bugged, theres not 5 minutes in which you woudln't get desynced, killed by invisible mob/player, invisible items, crashes, perma DMZ, falling through terrain and pretty much anything doesn't work as its supposed to. Quests, combat its all so backwardish and wierd. That Engine is bad as hell too. There is nothing realistic everything looks horrible and static yet you get so low FPSs you have to delete half the game asset folder to get playable FPSs even on lower highend. This isless than technological preview, I don't believe you your beta talk its non-existing trash. Dev team logged into the game first time few days ago. Like seriously im off for good.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by black777

Originally posted by popinjay

Nice find.

Lol, awesome dude.

Please go post that on the offical game forums thats too funny