Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is incredibly mediocre.

12345679»

Comments

• baal80baal80 Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by pragues

The WOW part grew from 1.15 to 1.425 billion, but yes that one included all box WOW sales too.

SC2 accounted for around $150 million. It is telling that SC2 only came to around 10% of what WOW brings in every year.

I am shocked by how small profit SC2 franchise is making. Could you please post a link to this report, if it's available online?

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by Impulse47

Originally posted by kitarad

I did not really expect much from Rift so I am happy to just play it and if indeed it fails to keep me long I won't come to the board and write long threads to bore everyone and force them to waste their time reading. We sure have become a crowd of people who place a great deal of importance on our opinions being aired ad nauseum.Rift seems to be attracting a large quota of the same type of threads daily. Sure is tiresome.

I'm sorry.  I was operating under the delusion that discussion boards were about discussing things.

I lol'd

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Sign me up for liking mediocrity.

To say Rift takes no risks is true.  They do new things, their tech is different than other MMOs, the premise is different, souls different, but there is no risk, success is a lock.

There are more people filling their beta servers than most live MMOs and its not open beta yet.

Lots of this thread is misinformation thats a simple FAQ away for clarification.  Trion is not a small studio, its huge, and its not newbies its people have worked on 25ish MMOs and an even greater number of single player games.  If you don't like Rift, thats fine but it will be profitable and be a good platform to sell the Trion engine to other studios.  Think Unreal or iD.

• RiftsoldierRiftsoldier Member Posts: 112

I'm not going to get into the fact that this game takes no risks at all in terms of original ideas.  We all know which ones were stolen from which games and its blatantly obvious.  Moving on.

You don't have to take risks to make a great game. You just have to cherry pick the best of other games. This has been proven with the success of WoW which cherry picked from others.

My biggest problem with Rift, as it stands, is that the gameplay has been stale since level 1.  A shaking camera every once in a while does not make the combat heart-pounding. 

This was the tutorial area and it stops after you get out of the explosions...not a huge part of the game to be honest. The effect was good and not overly done.

There is very little strategy in terms of skill usage... It's pretty much the same combo that you decided was best, and you repeat it over and over.  Very few skills are situational.  Overall, I don't feel like I'm playing a game.  I feel like I have a shitty job.  Tell me, please, what is fun about targetting a mob, pressing 2 3 4 5 6 1, and knowing that it will be dead, every time, by the time it reaches my mage?  Oh really?  Now multiply that by the 5,000 times I have done the same thing.  Why am I not getting paid for my labor?  Oh wait, I'm paying them.

You do realize there are many different types of builds and each one plays differently. There are situation spells in many builds such as temporary invis, knock backs, reactive healing, reactive damage, roots, multi-target, snare, and much much more. Later on there will be even more situational spells and abilities needed to conquer certain areas. Also grouping is very important to note for specific skills and also PvP. Once you get more into the game you will find that each character you try has something different and fun to offer and the mixing of souls makes it that much more interesting.

The character control in this game is abysmal.  I feel like my character has ice skates on.  When you compare it to, say DC Universe online's movement, Rift is several steps backwards from what some modern day MMOs have to offer.  The characters do not interact with their environment (one of the few things I liked about Aion was how the character's legs would bend to meet the terrain).  The animations are choppy.  The invisible walls piss me off.

Character controls are classic MMO style. Comparing it to DC Universe which is an action oriented twitch fest is not a correct comparison. Legs bend to meet the terrain takes up valuable programming resources that could be used for more important things..Aion proved that it spent time on some less important things like this and payed the price with a huge drop in subscribers as a result. Animations are great on a good system. Once you get into the real game (past the tutorial levels) there are no invisible walls. You can go up over mountains to other zones and it's all seemless except for dungeons.

The engine itself is amateur and characteristic of a small studio.  Yeah, you could take the Shadowbane engine and add enough polygons to make it look pretty, but it's not going to run well.  The game looks typical to most next-gen games with the graphics on max, but trust me no modern day computer is going to be able to handle a crowded area with those settings.  It is just not coded well enough.

This is totally false. The engine was an old engine that has been gutted and changed and is almost unrecognizable. Many PC's with modern processors and modern nVidia GPU's handle this game even with 60 or more players and creatures running around casting spells on ultra settings. The game is very solidly coded. Get a new PC and you will change your tune on this.

Rift is a mediocre MMO that will only appeal to people who are unemployed and looking for a boring way to spend their time so it feels like they are working.  Bottom line is Rift, with all its positive aspects, IS NOT FUN.  If you think this game is fun you are delusional and have played so many hours of MMOs that your mind has lost all sense of comparison for what fun actually is.

Fun is very subjective.

For me fun is being able to do many things in an MMO and not feeling constricted by developer choices.

examples of fun in Rift.

1. Having a choice of making several different characters and choosing which I want to have fun with at any time.

2. Many varieties of character growth including leveling up, choosing new souls, questing, PvP, Rift hunting, crafting, artifact hunting and exploring, getting various achievements, dungeon running.

3. Clean and flexible user interface. This is very important. It starts off with most things you will need and allows you to customize the size, shape, and placement of everything.

4. Solid in game map and strait forward questing that allows you to have your choice of quests active on the screen at any time.

5. Fun combat and interesting mob AI with rifts, invasions, footholds, regular and group mobs as well as raid style mobs. I also love the rare mobs in game that drop nice loots and you can see a diamond overhead on thier portrait signifying they are rare..they also look different than 96% of creatures in an area.

• NueshaNuesha Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by xephonics

I just don't really see why either saide has to harp on the issue.

If you like it, play it.  If you don't like it, don't play.  No need to constantly spam you hate or love for it.  Show your love or hate with your wallet :D

I actually like reading if people like it or not. It helps me decide if i should buy it or not.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Nuesha

If you like it, play it.  If you don't like it, don't play.  No need to constantly spam you hate or love for it.  Show your love or hate with your wallet :D

I actually like reading if people like it or not. It helps me decide if i should buy it or not.

Better yet, sign up for the open beta that begins in two days.

.. But in a good way.

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

Originally posted by Blacknd

Originally posted by Nuesha

Better yet, sign up for the open beta that begins in two days.

QFT

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Spiritof55

Originally posted by kitarad

I did not really expect much from Rift so I am happy to just play it and if indeed it fails to keep me long I won't come to the board and write long threads to bore everyone and force them to waste their time reading. We sure have become a crowd of people who place a great deal of importance on our opinions being aired ad nauseum.Rift seems to be attracting a large quota of the same type of threads daily. Sure is tiresome.

I'm sorry.  I was operating under the delusion that discussion boards were about discussing things.

I lol'd

Kitarad has a point with one thing. There are an absolutely ridiculous number of RIFT threads expressing simply one of two opinions that could be consolidated into two threads....pro RIFT and con RIFT. It's like reading the same things over and over again on BOTH sides.

However, that being off topic (albeit a response to someone else's comment).....if what makes this thread unique from all the other anti-RIFT threads is the use of the word "mediocre," I have to say that is the only thing unique in the rant because it's all been said already. But I guess it is important for us to EACH feel we got to voice our opinions, so whatever. I just wish people would use the search tool to find similar threads and begin posting in them rather than starting new ones that say the same thing.

I'm not trying to start any shit here, just making a kind suggestion that would make reading the threads less chaotic....at least in my opinion.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

I like the way Trion is conducting their Beta(s). Over the years Beta testing has changed, it would seem for the better in this case for Rift. Getting into the mechanics, functionality, stability and over all appeal Trion seems to have a pretty solid game. My impression is an out of the box ready to go game. The UI is very streamlined, uncluttered and functional. The graphics are stable, vibrate and consistent across its geometry. Playability felt fluid, although the games combat still has an overt button mashing spin the plates attentiveness busy work feel. Most all MMO's naturally are button mashing exercises, this one does seem to engage you in quite a bit of repetitiveness, for the sake of sensation of character control.

I've played in two betas over a period of about 6 hours, enough for me to realize I felt no particular hook. Considering this is Beta and any number of things can change, more so for the better in some cases, the world felt somewhat generic. It seems developers are doing their level best to appeal to a wider audience and in doing so you have a rental car one size should fit all players design (not a deal breaker as long as the game is engaging and fun). What brings me to that conclusion is in the immersion. A huge element of immersion, at least for me comes from the ability to explore. Exploring includes the interaction with merchants and objects in the game (depth of Trade Skills as well). Rift has a very point A to B objective style play with a few curve balls thrown in (Rifts). The Rifts (I now refer to as Chinese Fire drills) are interesting, but if you're a leisurely player this game may not be for you. By leisurely player I mean being able to explore a city, interact with merchants and NPC's. In essence the game lacks variety of substantive immersion. Rift is a stream line road course that allows you to drive at varying speeds, but doesn't allow for stopping and site seeing.

Character customization is adequate, although its never been a big element for me in gaming. The Soul system is neat, however its another implementation that has a Swiss Army knife appeal set so people can change their characters perhaps based on their mood that day. I've seen a lot of positive impressions of the game and for the most part it seems to have satisfied enough people to warrant the developers attention, however I don't anticipate playing beyond the Beta. The game should appeal to a general audience of players to then being one of a niche following, however my guess is the novelty may wear off sooner than some may think. Overall its a solid game with potential to be a favorite among a wide range of MMO players.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

There is very little strategy in terms of skill usage... It's pretty much the same combo that you decided was best, and you repeat it over and over.

Yeah, in other MMOs you don't repeat the same rotation over and over.

/facepalm

And I actually stopped reading at this point. It's obvious that OP has absolutely no clue what he's talking about.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by burakyt

give up playing mmos mate

I am currently enjoying DC Universe Online, Guild Wars, League of Legends (not an MMO, for sure, but MOBAs are somewhat close).  All three of which are fun.

Guild Wars is not an MMORPG, it is a game where you can lay single player on instanced maps.

LOL is a MOBA as you said.

DCUO is not an MMORPG either. It is 2 maps and action based spamming of buttons nonstop like dungeon fighter online or a beatem-up game. It has nothing to do for endgame and you can beat the story and max level in 2-3 days. I beta tested that game as well as Rift and DC is not even close to as good IMO.

OP, I feel you are sick of MMORPGs and are looking for action based games with beatem up style or action/FPS based combat.

Rift is not bad at all, it is basic MMORPG combat, but the character development is great and has alot of depth and options. That is the most important thing since the game is an mmoRPG. The game runs fine on my 3 year old computer on ultra+ settings. There is a lot going on in Rift at all times is what is nice. With questiong, Rifts, open world PVP, battlegrounds, dungeons, there is something for everyone.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Wondering how many fanboys have come to realize their game is boring by now.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Wondering how many fanboys have come to realize their game is boring by now.

You will get less admissions with this kind of condensating tone. Assuming you were actually fishing for admissions.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

The engine itself is amateur and characteristic of a small studio.  Yeah, you could take the Shadowbane engine and add enough polygons to make it look pretty, but it's not going to run well.  The game looks typical to most next-gen games with the graphics on max, but trust me no modern day computer is going to be able to handle a crowded area with those settings.  It is just not coded well enough.

Bully: Scholarship Edition

Windows, Xbox 360, Wii

Rockstar Vancouver, Rockstar New England, Rockstar Toronto

Rockstar Games

Catherine

PS3, Xbox 360

Atlus

Atlus

Dark Age of Camelot

Windows

Mythic Entertainment

Vivendi Universal Games

Drift City

Windows (Online Needed)

NPLUTO

NHN Corporation

Ragnarok Online II: Legend of the Second

Windows

Gravity Corp.

Gravity Corp.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Windows, Xbox

Bethesda Game Studios

Bethesda Game Studios, ZeniMax Media

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Windows, Xbox 360, PS3

Bethesda Game Studios

Bethesda Game Studios, Bethesda Softworks

Epic Mickey

Wii

Junction Point Studios

Buena Vista

Fallout 3[5]

Windows, Xbox 360, PS3

Bethesda Game Studios

Bethesda Softworks, ZeniMax Media

Fallout: New Vegas

Windows, Xbox 360, PS3

Obsidian Entertainment

Bethesda Softworks, Namco Bandai

Divinity II: Ego Draconis

Windows, Xbox 360

Larian Studios

dtp entertainment, 1C, cdv Software Entertainment

Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga

Windows, Xbox 360

Larian Studios

dtp entertainment, 1C, cdv Software Entertainment

LEGO Universe

Windows, Mac OS X

NetDevil

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Rift

Windows

Trion Worlds

Trion Worlds

Sid Meier's Civilization IV

Windows, Mac OS X

Firaxis

2K Games

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Windows, Xbox, Mac OS X, PSP

Firaxis Games

2K Games

Atari

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Windows

Mythic Entertainment

Electronic Arts

All use the same engine. Just a fun fact.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

I'm not going to get into the fact that this game takes no risks at all in terms of original ideas.  We all know which ones were stolen from which games and its blatantly obvious.  Moving on.

My biggest problem with Rift, as it stands, is that the gameplay has been stale since level 1.  A shaking camera every once in a while does not make the combat heart-pounding.  There is very little strategy in terms of skill usage... It's pretty much the same combo that you decided was best, and you repeat it over and over.  Very few skills are situational.  Overall, I don't feel like I'm playing a game.  I feel like I have a shitty job.  Tell me, please, what is fun about targetting a mob, pressing 2 3 4 5 6 1, and knowing that it will be dead, every time, by the time it reaches my mage?  Oh really?  Now multiply that by the 5,000 times I have done the same thing.  Why am I not getting paid for my labor?  Oh wait, I'm paying them.

The character control in this game is abysmal.  I feel like my character has ice skates on.  When you compare it to, say DC Universe online's movement, Rift is several steps backwards from what some modern day MMOs have to offer.  The characters do not interact with their environment (one of the few things I liked about Aion was how the character's legs would bend to meet the terrain).  The animations are choppy.  The invisible walls piss me off.

{mod edit}

I actually have a very busy job that brings in 6 figures, and I have fun playing...

I think there is something wrong with you. Quit hating, and find a reason to love life.

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by lectrocuda

My biggest problem with Rift, as it stands, is that the gameplay has been stale since level 1.  A shaking camera every once in a while does not make the combat heart-pounding.  There is very little strategy in terms of skill usage... It's pretty much the same combo that you decided was best, and you repeat it over and over.  Very few skills are situational.  Overall, I don't feel like I'm playing a game.  I feel like I have a shitty job.  Tell me, please, what is fun about targetting a mob, pressing 2 3 4 5 6 1, and knowing that it will be dead, every time, by the time it reaches my mage?  Oh really?  Now multiply that by the 5,000 times I have done the same thing.  Why am I not getting paid for my labor?  Oh wait, I'm paying them.

{mod edit}

I actually have a very busy job that brings in 6 figures, and I have fun playing...

I think there is something wrong with you. Quit hating, and find a reason to love life.

Now it has been proven that if you don't like a game for any reason, everyone who does like it is obviously some sort of social pariah.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by lectrocuda

{mod edit}

Now it has been proven that if you don't like a game for any reason, everyone who does like it is obviously some sort of social pariah.

lol, that would be the conclusion if aliens studied this site for insight into our behavior  lol

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.